General Discussion Triathlon Talk » completed 50 mile ultra on 10/24...left knee still bothering me Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-19 12:50 PM

User image

Subject: completed 50 mile ultra on 10/24...left knee still bothering me
I did a 50 mile ultra on 10/24, the first ultra i've done, and i loved it. it was on a mostly paved path :-( but enjoyable enough. My left knee began hurting some time in, but didn't feel like anything more than good old fashioned "runner's knee". Now, more than three weeks later, it still wakes me up at night if i sleep wrong, and if i even try to walk more than a mile, it begins to hurt to the point of causing me to limp, and then stays that way for a couple days. I haven't even tried running on it.

It just feels like runner's knee though. no swollenness or discoloration.

thoughts?

Ian

2015-11-24 5:58 AM
in reply to: completelyhis

User image

Camden, NC
Subject: RE: completed 50 mile ultra on 10/24...left knee still bothering me
Ian,

I am having and have had continuous issues with my knee over the last year as well with no visible swelling or discoloration. Everything came to a head when I was in the middle of my marathon at the IMMD last year and couldn't walk without a limp for a couple of weeks. I have had a couple of MRIs - have you had a chance to get one yourself? - and nothing structurally was noted, but I was diagnosed with Medial Plica Syndrome (nothing wrong with the ligaments or meniscus either). I have also had injections and lots of physical therapy. The sports doc also told me that genetically I did not get the best kneecaps either. He said that my groove that the kneecap floats in was not really a groove at all, but pretty flat and my kneecap just slips around probably causing a lot of the pain over time and over the longer miles. I am 41 and I have put a lot of miles on my knees and I just had a meeting with my doctor yesterday to explore getting my knee scoped to resect the plica and "clean" things up. He said there are risks of course, but I could certainly benefit from the procedure and get several more years of strong competition with a successful scope. I have exhausted all other options...MRI, physical therapy and injections, so this is another and final option or I could just stop all together, but I am not ready for that yet! When I have stopped and rested completely for about 4-6 weeks everything feels fine, so my need to "fix" things would only be to compete, not to get around. You may get to a point where you just can't do 50 miles anymore, we sometimes aren't built for that like others are, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep trying to find a solution if it is your passion!

Having said all of that, running ultras is no joke and you definitely need some time off to see what is going on with your knee - could take months from my experience. If you haven't done it already, go see a doctor and talk about physical therapy to look at strengthening all of othe support structures to a different level - quads, hips etc. Generally as pure runners we need to focus on different types of strength training outside of just running to keep the "balance". Then you can look at an MRI and see where that takes you. Keep fighting and you will find what is right for you!

Scott
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » completed 50 mile ultra on 10/24...left knee still bothering me Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

excruciating knee pain immediately after run and then went away in 10 minutes

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 1200 Posts: 2

2012-07-12 9:10 AM mndiver

left ear starts hurting after about 50 minutes of swimming

Started by justified
Views: 907 Posts: 2

2010-11-16 11:07 AM b2673ad

Below the left knee, left of my shin

Started by lakeliine
Views: 909 Posts: 2

2009-04-23 1:45 PM rasher76

Pain on outlide of left knee after ~9 miles

Started by ancosta
Views: 1035 Posts: 4

2008-08-24 1:53 PM ancosta

Left knee pain only when cycling?

Started by joscon
Views: 900 Posts: 3

2004-11-01 7:04 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
At about the 1/2 mile mark my left soleus becomes extremely tight and painful. The pain then progresses into my left arch and then into my left knee.