Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Finish quilt? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
Finish quilt?
OptionResults
Hand-quilt it5 Votes - [100%]
Pay to have it machine-quilted (may not be able to find someone willing to)0 Votes - [0%]
Shove back in closet for another 15 years0 Votes - [0%]
Throw out already0 Votes - [0%]

2015-11-19 6:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Finish quilt?

So I have a dilemma. I have a half-finished quilt of my grandmother's that was important enough to her to bring to Kansas from Iowa when she disposed of most of her possessions to live in a condo near me when she got older, but not important enough to have finished. She passed away 15 years ago and I've had it in my closet ever since and have moved it between three houses including from Kansas to Montana. So, it has some sentimental value, but is just a printed pattern, not a pieced work of artistry. I took it to the local quilt shop and they pointed out that it was actually hand quilted, so it would be strange for me to pay to have it machine quilted to finish it.  My SIL mentioned this year wanting someone to make her a quilt (odd request I thought, but she did offer to pay). I had the idea to finish this quilt for her and my brother as a Christmas gift.

What say you BT? 

(Quilt.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Quilt.JPG (41KB - 3 downloads)

2015-11-19 8:30 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Finish quilt?
Hand quilt that bad boy! It would make a lovely gift, and since it was started as a hand quilted job, it would be so nice if it could be finished that way.
2015-11-19 8:53 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Sounds like a good way to start up a new hobby.

2015-11-19 9:55 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I imagine that making a quilt is one of those really rewarding experiences once you're done and can look at the whole thing. Go for it

2015-11-20 4:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
My grandma was also a quilter, so I understand the situation. I would either hand-quilt it myself (if you have the skills or can learn them) or find someone who has the skills and understands the value of it to you who can finish it as Grandma intended, and pay them well. There is an NGO here that trains impoverished village women to do quilting that is then marketed at a fair price, mainly to tourists and expats. If was me in that situation, I'd probably approach them and do a custom order (they have done a custom quilt for one of my beds). But in the US, maybe you could put up an ad at a quilter's shop, or on a website, or talk to people at a quilt show. I think finishing it yourself would be cooler, but not everyone has the time or skills to do it justice.

Quilting is sort of my plan for "retirement", if that ever happens and I can sit still long enough and persuade my hands to listen to my brain. I'm a textile junkie and design a lot of my own clothes, and I've been trying to collect fabric from every place I've lived or visited. So I have this vision of a "world quilt" that includes fabric from as many countries as possible. My guess is I will end up sketching out the plan and then paying someone to make it, the way I do with my clothes--I've been a hyperactive klutz all my life and probably getting old won't change that.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-11-20 4:57 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Finish quilt? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

My proudest finish

Started by bmacmanus
Views: 709 Posts: 4

2006-06-05 10:17 PM madkat

Just finished tax

Started by nbo10
Views: 1031 Posts: 21

2006-02-22 6:44 PM tyrant

T-Shirt Quilt?

Started by LaurenSU02
Views: 940 Posts: 14

2005-12-02 7:47 AM runnergirl29

Julie Moss Ironman Finish - video

Started by auto208562
Views: 1158 Posts: 2

2005-11-16 5:07 PM oipolloi

Finish my sentence...

Started by uberbeginner
Views: 950 Posts: 18

2005-08-26 4:39 PM Zilla
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 9, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 3
What do you bring to the starting line? What are you going to leave on the course? What will you take with you across the finish line?

date : March 6, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 9
Because for everyone out there, crossing the finish line is more about life than the race itself.
date : June 4, 2006
author : BodyCheck
comments : 9
Make peace with your speed. A full 85% of the field is done and heading out for brunch by the time my feet hit the finish line.

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.
date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 0
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid

date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"
date : October 24, 2004
author : BrianPBN
I can't say it enough, the feeling of treading water for that final minute, helicopters over head, Mike Riley's Iron-voice over the P.A. - just awesome. I cannot believe I'm here!

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
So after about 10,000 emails, dozens of phone calls, and one pre-race pasta dinner, the 1st meeting of the Steve's in a triathlon finally arrived.