General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hi CT! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-19 6:51 PM

User image

Subject: Hi CT!
Thinking about 2016 and doing a first 70.3. Thinking IM Syracuse and/or IM Timberman... Any other suggestions or what r your plans?

2015-11-19 7:00 PM
in reply to: KTLiz

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Subject: RE: Hi CT!
Hi and Welcome!!!!! REV3 Maine is also a fantastic race in Old Orchard beach, one of my personal Favs.
2015-11-20 2:32 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by KTLiz

Thinking about 2016 and doing a first 70.3. Thinking IM Syracuse and/or IM Timberman... Any other suggestions or what r your plans?

Since you are in CT, you should at least consider Rev3 Quassy. It's close, well run (well, in the past it was-but it is now back in the Rev's hands, I think) and a fun and challenging course.

I'm signed up for it and IM70.3 at Syracuse too. Practice transitions and faster pacing by doing a Lake T sprint here in CT also.

Timberman is supposed to be flat, but both syracuse and quassy have some hills. Check out the course profiles online.
2015-11-23 9:30 AM

User image

Connecticut
I've done Rev3 Quassy HIM several times also - very well run. "Challenging" may be an understatement - its pretty hard - but Rev3 does a very good job. I am doing Patriot HIM (in Mass) in June 2016, but I think its full already. I have heard good things about FirmMan in Rhode Island also. I think its also much less expensive than an IronMan branded race (like Timberman or Syracuse).

Also agree with the comments on Lake T - fun events and great to practice with.

Good luck!
Chris
2016-02-02 9:57 AM

Did you decide on a race? I'm in the same boat. deciding on first HIM. Tried to get into Atlantic City but filled up REALLY fast. Deciding between Timberman and Rev3 Maine. Race reports and timing scared me away from Quassy.
2016-03-03 12:13 AM

Hi KLiz, im the race director for the Pat Griskus Triathlons also out of Quassy we'll run a 15th anniversary Oly Tri/Du/Sprint <* sprint opt is new this year*< Tri on Sat 7am June 18th,
and
the 30th anniversary for the original Pat Griskus Sprint Tri on a Wed Evening July 6th 2016 -- 6pm start! Mid week evening start.. crazy right?? The Sprint would regularly close out a few weeks in advance! It's a great crowd, bunch of repeat athletes, fun vibe!

As for 70.3/Half Iron, I worked with the original race director for Timberman back in 2001 to 2010, raced it a few times myself. New Hampshire has hills, some fierce mountains in fact, but Timberman is not that terribly hilly at all. And that lake inspires all who even dunk a foot in it. That water is so clear that any particle of anything floating in it is immediately obvious. Ellecoya State Park is a special place on Lake Winnipesaukee, and I've spent lots of time there, racing and working. Just a gorgeous lake. It's still very well run and you can wait a bit to register as of last year, but I understand things are moving along more briskly this year. Highly recommended, special venue and a great race!

I also produce the Hopkins Vineyard Triathlon at Lake Waramaug, we throw together some group training days up at Lake Waramaug, hit me up for details if you're out this way (far western CT, New Preston) Nothing better than starting and finishing at a Winery! Very unique venue, and
a beautiful family that has allowed us to do this. Totally chill with live folk music and a wine festival at the end, that one is Sat July 16th, 8am start.

Best of luck this season KLiz, hope the preps are going well!! - tw

Regards,
Tom Wilkas - Race Director

www.PatGriskusTri.com
https://www.facebook.com/PatGriskusTriathlonSeries

www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hopkins-Vineyard-Triathlon-at-Lake-Wa...

2016-03-06 5:56 AM
in reply to: #5152903

User image

Hi all thanks for your comments! I def want some smaller tris earlier in the season so I appreciate the recommendations and will check them out, esp the open water swims. I've heard REV is really tough so maybe not for my first... I'm leaning toward Pilgrimman but haven't registered yet.
2016-04-09 11:13 PM

How's the training going Kliz?

I'll be doing Pawling Sprint Tri in Pawling NY on Sat June 4th, not a bad first tri, I think there's still room left to register.

If you're targeting a first Tri, the Pat Griskus Sprint Triathlon is celebrating a 30th Anniversary, and makes a Big Deal out of
the First Timers; special First Timer medals for completion and a separate awards ceremony where you get a trip
up to the podium to get your award, First Timers really love it!

Hope all is on track for you, good luck!
2016-05-23 12:27 PM
in reply to: #5170699

User image

Training has been going great thanks for check in! I did decide on Pilgrimman in Sept in MA for my 70.3. I want to do a few shorter ones leading up to it so thanks for the leads I'm checking them out now! Good luck to you as well!
2016-05-26 9:23 AM

User image

Connecticut
I'll put in a plug for the Griskus sprint also - I've done it multiple times and its an excellent event. The midweek date is fun - you get to tell people at work that you're leaving early to do a triathlon! Good way to relieve stress after work too!

Good luck!

Chris
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hi CT! Rss Feed