General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-20 3:21 AM

Subject: Newbie questions
Hi, pardon my newbieness, but I have some serious questions that I'd like to hear an opinion on.
I am training for a sprint and my goal is really just to finish.

1. Are we allowed to bring a phone / music / camera during our ride or run? To be honest, I'm thinking my iphone - it can do all 3! If yes, what's the best way to carry it? Arm band? Belt?
2. Are the clip bike shoes critically important at this stage?
3. How do you deal with sunscreen? When do you apply? When do you reapply?
4. I see this sliding gel that people talk about / use - what is that for?
5. I know people carry water bottles during the ride, what about the run? To be honest.. I can go without and take water during transitions, but curious

That's it for now... appreciate any thoughts.
Lisa

2015-11-20 3:32 AM
in reply to: liii9

User image

Subject: RE: Newbie questions
My answers, but opinions may vary

1. Are we allowed to bring a phone / music / camera during our ride or run? To be honest, I'm thinking my iphone - it can do all 3! If yes, what's the best way to carry it? Arm band? Belt?
- Rules are different from organizer to organizer, so better check what is allowed, not allowed in your particular race.

- No

- Put it on after you have received your body marking or put on your tattoo - your race number on your arm. But before you start your swim.
- For a sprint I don't think you need to reapply. And if you try it will likely become a mess since you are probably sweaty.

- Not sure what you mean. But it could either be anti-chafing gel that you apply to your skin in areas you worry you might get chafing. Or nutritional gels you eat for energy.

5. I know people carry water bottles during the ride, what about the run? To be honest.. I can go without and take water during transitions, but curious
- Some do bring a bottle for the run. But I assume the organizers will have water stations along the course, so it probably will not be needed. But it is a matter of personal preference.

Good luck! Remember to have fun!!!

2015-11-20 6:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by liii9for a sprint....1. Are we allowed to bring a phone / music / camera during our ride or run? To be honest, I'm thinking my iphone - it can do all 3! If yes, what's the best way to carry it? Arm band? BeltNo phones2. Are the clip bike shoes critically important at this stage?No3. How do you deal with sunscreen? When do you apply? When do you reapply?Pre race4. I see this sliding gel that people talk about / use - what is that for?Easiest explanation - your taint (sorry here) and any other sensation chaffing area. IMO you don't need for a sprint 5. I know people carry water bottles during the ride, what about the run? To be honest.. I can go without and take water during transitions, but curiousEveryone's different. I don't really drink anything in a sprint. If your goal is just to finish and you've been doing it in training then carry your water. That's it for now... appreciate any thoughts.Lisa
ETA I'd love to know why post on my phone don't recognize line spacing and such !?!?!?

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2015-11-20 6:56 AM
2015-11-20 7:40 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
1. Normally you are not allowed to use headphones on the bike or run course. As for music without phones, I doubt your fellow racers would appreciate it. I have run with/passed people who have some kind of talking app that tells them their pace, but that's about it. Most people don't carry cameras, but I'm not sure there are any rules against it. I passed someone who was doing the run leg of IM Vietnam 70.3 with a camera on a selfie stick. Wow. Wouldn't recommend a camera on the bike unless you have some kind of GoPro setup.

2. Not important. More important that you feel comfortable and confident.

3. Apply before the swim to dry skin. No need to reapply for a sprint.

4. I think you are referring to Body Glide or similar products. One reason would be to prevent chafing, from tri-suit, wetsuit, etc. Another would be to help the wetsuit slide off more easily. Not necessary but can be useful!

5. Whether or not to cary water is a matter of personal preference. For a sprint, I wouldn't bother. Just take what is offered on the course. I do carry my own fluids for some Olympic distance races (in hot weather) and half iron distance, but this is mainly because I have problems tolerating a lot of electrolyte drinks--cramps and nausea if they are too sweet or concentrated. So for me, it's worth a little extra hassle and weight to know I have something that works for me. (I just take water at aid stations.) Plus it allows me to take a gu when I want in a longer event, not just at aid stations where I can get liquids to wash it down.
2015-11-20 9:07 AM

, Wisconsin
First, congrats on your upcoming challenge! You've gotten excellent advice from others. I'd personally recommend skipping the music, even if the race rules allow it. You'll be safer and others in the tri will also be safer. I can't count the times that I've nearly crashed or ran into people on trails, sidewalks, or races that have earphones going and can't hear me. Or, the times I would have been hit by a car if I hadn't been able to hear. I love my Ipod at the gym, but outside, I just live in the moment and listen to the sounds around me . . .
2015-11-20 9:10 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

, Tennessee
I have only done a couple of sprints and lots of running races but here is my experience:

1. Most races do not allow you to have earphones. Check with your race director but it is a safety issue usually. Personally, it drives me batty when people race even simple running races with earphones. You can't hear people trying to pass you, you can't hear directions from course refs/volunteers, and are not as aware of traffic. As far as carrying the phone or camera with you I see a lot of people with armbands but I don't carry one when racing myself.

2. You don't need clips. As you get more comfortable on the bike you might like them but if you aren't used to them don't try to race with them. Just do what you have trained with.

3. Body glide is good for chafing but probably not necessary for a sprint. It might be useful if you have a wetsuit though, is the race going to be wetsuit legal?

4. Water is a personal preference. For a sprint I don't carry anything and they should have aid stations anyway. I just try to drink in transition and maybe on the bike if it's hot.

2015-11-20 12:06 PM
in reply to: 0

I will always be a newb. I'm starting to get a little seasoned, but at best I will become a "seasoned" newb.

I did a race (it might have been the IM branded 70.3) in Muncie....or I may have seen it while looking through old rules/athlete guides while selecting a race....and at least one of them specifically said "no cameras" unless approved by the race director.

My first race, I was "worried" about not having music, as it would be "different" than when I am 'doing fitness' and I was so worried about 'logistics' and proper etiquette, and "can I finish this?", and a zillion other things... that I felt if I didn't have my comfort blanket that it would make it worse. I even "practiced" workouts without it. But, the reality is, running a race is completely different than training. Usually, you're not surrounded by other people on the bike/run who are all going through the same thing. You usually don't have people sitting in lawn chairs by the side of the road who, even though they're there to cheer on Mom/Dad/Wife/Husband/Brother, they'll cheer you on too. You also usually don't have volunteers handing you water/snacks who will cheer you on. It's fun. In fact, sometimes when you're on the bike or run and you get into a spot that's sort of clear of people/noise/activity....it's actually kind of nice.

The biggest thing I've learned from this group (for me) was that many of the questions you'll have, you should find the answers to as part of training.
In terms of gear, nutrition, water, sunscreen....(check the race guide to see what they provide)...make that part of your routine in training. If you need more water on your regular runs (better yet a brick of some sort) than the race provides....you need to take a bottle on the run. If you don't during training, then you're likely good without. Same with sunscreen. For me, who sunburns if I stand in front of the fridge with the door open too long.....I've been "practicing" my sunscreen application/needs all my life. If you get chafed after swimming and then hitting the bike in practice...you might need a little glide. If not, then you probably don't. Incorporate all those things into your training and you'll find better answers than anyone else can provide. At least, in general. In terms of "how much" hydration/nutrition....there's plenty of stuff about that and it can get mathematical. But, I've not delved that deep. I relied on what worked for me and how I felt during training.

Clips? Hah! I did several shorter sprints/almost Olympic lengths over the course of just over a year on a hybrid. Totally up to you there. Be comfortable with whatever you use....again....it goes back to "practicing" and evaluating during training.

My one gear suggestion I will always make....because they're cheap....
A race belt for your bib/number.
They're a couple bucks at worst....I usually find them on clearance or get one free for signing up for something....
Safety pins stink. And, since you can't swim with your number....then you're dealing with putting a shirt on in transition at some point. No need for that if you have a tri-top or you're OK biking/running with whatever you're swimming in. So, even if you need to put on a shirt, I just don't like safety pins. Too fussy. The belt slips right on.

Edited by jhaack39 2015-11-20 12:09 PM
2015-11-21 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by liii9

Hi, pardon my newbieness, but I have some serious questions that I'd like to hear an opinion on.
I am training for a sprint and my goal is really just to finish.

That's it for now... appreciate any thoughts.
Lisa

1. train with what you want, forget about that stuff on race day
2. no on the clipless. good to have later on if you keep going with racing
3. short races, apply sunscreen when dry after shower. usually good enough.
4. BodyGlide for the neck, underarms. Helps to get the wetsuit on (so apply to calves, shoulders, chest, upper arms). Also for longer races, apply chammy butter to the trishorts pad.
5. generally run is well supplied, but check with specific race info on aid stations to plan
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie questions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Newbie questions

Started by Brutus
Views: 1447 Posts: 22

2004-12-02 10:24 PM jg2ga

A newbie question

Started by mdudson
Views: 961 Posts: 11

2004-10-16 2:37 AM escott

Dumb newbie question

Started by jayhoe
Views: 820 Posts: 4

2004-10-02 3:45 PM Deb_B

1st wetsuit - some newbie questions

Started by jkbostic
Views: 707 Posts: 8

2004-09-17 1:54 PM kimj81

Another newbie question

Started by dgunthert
Views: 719 Posts: 9

2004-08-12 5:46 PM dgunthert
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2015
author : BradSeng
comments : 0
While running, I've been really struggling to keep my heart rate down in the zone 2-3 range as frequently prescribed in the plan. This seems too slow?

date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!