General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Otto Rear Derailleur Tuning - Love It! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-20 7:11 PM

User image

Los Gatos
Subject: Otto Rear Derailleur Tuning - Love It!

Every now and then I come across a cool new product that is really useful. The Otto Tuning System is one of those.

The idea is that it makes rear derailleur tuning easy and foolproof. If you're an experienced bike mechanic and know your way around limit screws and barrel adjusters then you won't need this product. But if you're like me, it's a godsend. I'm forever moving wheels between bikes and cassettes between wheels and every time I have to re-tune my RD. At least half the time, I make things worse rather than better and end up having to make a trip to my LBS to have them put it right.

The Otto system lets you do it yourself in just a few minutes by way of a couple of plastic gauges and an iPhone app. There's a video on their website which shows you how it works.

http://ottodesignworks.com

Best $39 I've spent in a long time.

By the way, just to be clear - I have no relationship with this company other than as a happy customer. I just like to recognize new companies doing smart things when I see them.

2015-11-22 1:32 PM
in reply to: smallard

Subject: RE: Otto Rear Derailleur Tuning - Love It!
I'm in, looks like a fun toy to play with.

Thanks, the reviews seem to be mostly favorable.
2015-11-27 8:51 PM

Just a follow up to the OP:

They're offering free shipping through the end of the year, and if (like me), you'd like to get both kits (one for 9 speed only, one for 10 and 11 speed), they're offering buy one get one half off with coupon code BOGO50%.

A caveat, though. The app is free to use until 1/1/16. After that, there will be a pricing structure in place, and a charge for using the tuning feature (checking will still be free). I was told it will be $.99 per tune, up to a maximum of $30 per year.

Thanks for your interest in the OTTO Tuning System. It is definitely in your best interest to buy now before Dec. 31. After this deadline, the Check function will be free but the Tune functions will require an in-app purchase. Rates will vary from $0.99 for a single tune (24hrs) to $29.99 for a full year with unlimited tunes. We'll also have a $2.99 option for 90 days. Therefore a user's cost will vary depending on frequency of use, but should never exceed $30 per year which is much less expensive than multiple trips to the local bike shop. If you purchase prior to the deadline, the Tune function will be no charge on promotion as we are rewarding our early adopters. This free promotional period will extend at least 6 months (and may extend an additional 6 months) pending on several factors.

Regarding the combo pack, we hear you and have considered this this option. However given the small number of inquiries we will not be adding a new combo SKU anytime soon, but we will offer you a 50% off discount on your 9-spd system with the purchase of a 10/11-spd system. Please let me know and I will send you a coupon code that works with our site.

2015-11-28 6:04 AM
in reply to: dpd3672

User image

Elite

This looks extremely cool.  I ordered the 9 and 10/11 combo.  Thanks for posting the coupon.  

TW 

2015-12-02 2:05 PM

Mine came on Black Friday, and I got the chance to use them yesterday.

They pretty much work as claimed, and while it took me a bit longer than the video on the website suggests (which I think can be partially blamed by the poor lighting in my living room), the bikes are shifting smooth as butter. It works, it's as simple as that.

There are two issues I had:

1. Dura Ace 7700 series is listed as supported on the website, but there was no option on the app for this (an email to CS said to use the Ultegra setting, which worked). I was told the next update will correct this.

2. As mentioned above, lighting is very important to get the phone to see the sensors. Outside, I'm sure it would work well, but indoors requires playing with the lighting and position of the bike a lot. It gets a bit tedious holding the phone in the right position while it tries and tries to find the sensors, but when it does, it's great. Can't call this a flaw, as it's mentioned in the information.

I managed to tune 3 bikes with DA 7700, 1 with Ultegra 6500, and 1 with Ultegra 6700. in a couple hours, but again, this would be faster, I believe, if the lighting was better. Most of the time was spent getting the phone to read the position of the tool.
2015-12-03 11:07 AM
in reply to: dpd3672

User image

Elite

Hey dpd,

I ordered the phone holder device that they sell too.  I hope it will be helpful on the positioning the phone for the photo.  I will post my experience when mine arrive and I have a chance to try them.  At the moment, my bikes are all recently tuned at the bike shop and shift really well.  I will be interested to see what correction I get from the tuning app. I have a Dura 7900 (10 speed), Ultegra 6700 (10 speed), and Ultegra 6500 (9 speed), so I have a range of 3 to 13 year old derailleur models to try.

I have some familiarity with tuning guidance from Shimano.  I am not an expert mechanic at all.  I basically know what the instructions say and will turn the barrel nut a turn or two if I get phantom shifts.  Usually though, I take my bikes back to the original dealer for tune-ups.  This tool may help me keep the tuning spot on myself.

TW

2015-12-05 8:08 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Hmm… adjusting a rear derailleur is very easy and quick. I would save my money.

Plus, for electronic shifting drivetrain, you should only need to set if up once, no adjustment needed from that point on.
2015-12-05 11:21 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Elite

Originally posted by audiojan Hmm… adjusting a rear derailleur is very easy and quick. I would save my money. Plus, for electronic shifting drivetrain, you should only need to set if up once, no adjustment needed from that point on.

Ah yes.  But of course, it is ... if you know how much to turn the nut.  For me, it will probably teach me how to do it on my own more reliably.  I have spent more money for less information before.  I consider it a good deal.  You probably forget that I am the guy who spent several years working out the details of a computer algorithm for truing bicycle wheels.

My kits arrived yesterday but have been sequestered.  This time of year things I order sometimes get temporarily held up until Christmas because mother-in-law or other relative requests help from my wife on a Christmas present.  In this case, the kits will be from the MIL.  She will be more surprised than I on Christmas morning.

TW

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Otto Rear Derailleur Tuning - Love It! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rear Derailleur question?

Started by maubueno
Views: 828 Posts: 2

2008-12-30 5:59 AM Rudedog55

Search Complete, Still Can't get Rear Derailleur Working

Started by kmill23
Views: 733 Posts: 5

2008-10-24 2:33 PM kmill23

Stadler's Rear Derailleur

Started by PeterAK
Views: 699 Posts: 2

2007-02-24 12:10 PM JohnnyKay

Replacing Rear Derailleur on Kmart blue-light special bike

Started by oceanannie
Views: 821 Posts: 3

2006-04-25 6:22 AM run4yrlif

Rear Derailleur upgrade?

Started by apw0397
Views: 1172 Posts: 7

2006-04-12 2:35 PM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Having trouble shifting? Is your chain not going to the next gear properly? Is it making too much noise? This video will go through some adjustments to your front and rear derailleurs.

date : January 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 3
When I switch one wheelset for another, the rear derailleur needs to be adjusted because the rear wheel on each holds the cassette in a different position. Where do I start?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.