General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim frequency question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-11-22 3:00 PM

Subject: Swim frequency question
Would it be better for me to do four 30 minute swims a week or two 1 hour swims each week? I'm currently trying to structure my off season training.

Thanks!

2015-11-22 4:29 PM
in reply to: linkslefty

Subject: RE: Swim frequency question
Originally posted by linkslefty

Would it be better for me to do four 30 minute swims a week or two 1 hour swims each week? I'm currently trying to structure my off season training.

Thanks!

Probably 4 x 30min sessions, but make sure it's mostly hard, short warm up and cool down
2015-11-22 4:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I agree with 4X30.......and if that's all you have then I would swim a 100 all-out and see what your time is.  Then pick a rest period that allow you to hit 85-90% of that 100 time every time you swim it.  I don't care if it's a 20 second rest or a  minute rest.  Hit the wall in that time every interval.  When you get to the point where you can hit your interval every time, drop your rest 5 seconds and stay after it.  Drop your rest, not your 100 time.

Example - you can swim a 100  all-out in 1:50, but you need 30 seconds to hit 2 minutes every time you swim it.  Your interval is 2:30.  Every time the clock hits 2:30 your off.  When you get there for a couple workouts, drop 5 seconds OF REST for your next workout.......now your interval is 2:25.  You may find, soon enough, that your rest time is the same as you drop......that's fine.....keep dropping the rest period.

There really is no point in complicating a 30 minute workout.  I would do a 5 minute warmup alternating 50 swim and 50 kick..... then do your intervals, then do a 3-5 minute cooldown of 75% kicking.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-11-22 4:55 PM
2015-11-22 6:33 PM

User image

Between those two options 4 X 30. Why are you limited to those two options ?
2015-11-22 7:16 PM
in reply to: #5153173

It's just a total time issue. I'm trying to spend most of my focus on the bike this winter. I get time during lunch to knock out the swims, but I also need to get a couple runs and a couple weight lifting sessions in while I can in the offseason. Any advice is appreciated!
2015-11-22 8:15 PM

Just today I flew into Dallas and ended up sitting next to the head coach of a collegiate swimming team, including Olympians. (I looked him up after the flight to see if he is legit). He told me, as someone with my body type - tall, thin, long legs, I need to swim 5x a week during the off season even if only 30 minutes a time. ...I am going to ask santa for my own lap pool for Christmas. Sadly, I don't think I'll be on that list of goodness

2015-11-22 8:26 PM

User image

I ask because why not switch up along the lines of the 4 X 30 one week and following week work in at least one longer swim.
2015-11-22 8:45 PM

Sarasota, Florida

It's just a total time issue. I'm trying to spend most of my focus on the bike this winter. I get time during lunch to knock out the swims, but I also need to get a couple runs and a couple weight lifting sessions in while I can in the offseason. Any advice is appreciated!

I keep seeing people say this. How does anyone both workout and eat during lunch break? Even if I chose to take an hour, I still have to fight traffic, change, exercise, shower, change again, fight traffic again then what? cram a protein bar or drink a smoothie and call it lunch??? Sounds awful.
2015-11-22 9:38 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Originally posted by runtim23

I keep seeing people say this. How does anyone both workout and eat during lunch break? Even if I chose to take an hour, I still have to fight traffic, change, exercise, shower, change again, fight traffic again then what? cram a protein bar or drink a smoothie and call it lunch??? Sounds awful.

Think this depends on your job. I get the chance to hustle in a 30 minute swim almost every lunch hour. I find eating on the job makes time work for me. I don't really need to sit down and relax to eat. I can slam in my lunch while walking down a hall lol. If i can slam down a sandwich rocking 60km/h down a hill on a TT bike I'm sure i can rock down a sandwich somehow on the clock lol..

2015-11-23 7:06 AM
in reply to: zombie2212

Sarasota, Florida
True. I guess if I was comfortable eating in my vehicle then I could make it work. I could eat while working, but it always slows me down a little and I get crumbs in the keyboard so I try to keep it all during lunch break. My meals are large and I get moody if hungry so my lunch is for lunch.
2015-11-23 7:22 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
What is your swim background? I think the answer to how often you should swim depends more on that than (as someone else has suggested) your body type. If a typical triathlete (weak, adult-onset swimmer), shorter and more frequent would be best. That will allow you to develop a better "feel" for the water, and you'll probably be swimming faster with better technique for a shorter workout. The answer might be different for someone with a strong swim background who really just needs to maintain fitness and technique. In that case, you might be better served with a more substantial workout twice a week, particularly if you are looking at races at/beyond Olympic distance for which you need to maintain the endurance. Or alternate a week of four shorter, faster workouts with a week with two longer ones, or split the difference (three 45-minute ones?) Personally, unless it's an easy recovery swim, I don't usually do workouts under about 2000, and rarely under 2500m. Just doesn't seem worth it to me, especially if it's not my workplace pool and I have to drive there. Not a former Olympian or anything, do have some competitive swim background as a kid and teen and usually FOP in my age group.

As for body type, I think it makes little difference in your swim speed or training needs. I have your classic elite marathoner's build--medium tall, thin, long legs. I swam about 21 minutes for the 1500m when I was a teenager, and was shorter and skinnier than now. That's nothing special by swimmer standards, but pretty fast by tri standards. There are plenty of skinny kids on youth teams who swim way faster than most triathletes. Until you get to the really pointy end of swimming, it's mostly a matter of technique and training, not body type or "natural buoyancy".

2015-11-23 8:56 AM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

, Tennessee
Originally posted by Dutchcrush

Just today I flew into Dallas and ended up sitting next to the head coach of a collegiate swimming team, including Olympians. (I looked him up after the flight to see if he is legit). He told me, as someone with my body type - tall, thin, long legs, I need to swim 5x a week during the off season even if only 30 minutes a time. ...I am going to ask santa for my own lap pool for Christmas. Sadly, I don't think I'll be on that list of goodness

Did he have a reasoning for why body type has to do with it? And wouldn't your race goals make a difference too? I would think you would need some longer swims if you were shooting for a HIM or IM as opposed to a sprint.
2015-11-23 9:08 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Swimming is a technical activity and a perishable skill, and frequency helps to reinforce muscle memory.  So, I'd vote for the 4 x 30 minute option.  

I'd also suggest that you mix up your workouts as much as you can with drills, kicking, some aerobic sets and some hard,fast efforts.  With only a short time in the pool, try to do everything on a specific push-off  or rest interval to make sure that you're making the most of the time you have available.

Good luck,

Mark 

2015-11-23 9:10 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Left Brain

I agree with 4X30.......and if that's all you have then I would swim a 100 all-out and see what your time is.  Then pick a rest period that allow you to hit 85-90% of that 100 time every time you swim it.  I don't care if it's a 20 second rest or a  minute rest.  Hit the wall in that time every interval.  When you get to the point where you can hit your interval every time, drop your rest 5 seconds and stay after it.  Drop your rest, not your 100 time.

Example - you can swim a 100  all-out in 1:50, but you need 30 seconds to hit 2 minutes every time you swim it.  Your interval is 2:30.  Every time the clock hits 2:30 your off.  When you get there for a couple workouts, drop 5 seconds OF REST for your next workout.......now your interval is 2:25.  You may find, soon enough, that your rest time is the same as you drop......that's fine.....keep dropping the rest period.

There really is no point in complicating a 30 minute workout.  I would do a 5 minute warmup alternating 50 swim and 50 kick..... then do your intervals, then do a 3-5 minute cooldown of 75% kicking.

Is the 85-90% of your all out 100 time a rule of thumb for completing 100 repeats? I've never heard that. I certainly don't do my repeats that fast.
2015-11-23 9:20 AM
in reply to: turnip13

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by turnip13
Originally posted by Dutchcrush Just today I flew into Dallas and ended up sitting next to the head coach of a collegiate swimming team, including Olympians. (I looked him up after the flight to see if he is legit). He told me, as someone with my body type - tall, thin, long legs, I need to swim 5x a week during the off season even if only 30 minutes a time. ...I am going to ask santa for my own lap pool for Christmas. Sadly, I don't think I'll be on that list of goodness
Did he have a reasoning for why body type has to do with it? And wouldn't your race goals make a difference too? I would think you would need some longer swims if you were shooting for a HIM or IM as opposed to a sprint.

I wondered about the body type comment also,  For obvious reasons, tall & slim is a body type shared by most elite swimmers (Phelps, Adrian, Lochte, Franklin, Ledecky, etc.).   But at the same time my masters coach is a four-time Olympian and she's only 5'-2".    The bottom line is optimizing your technical proficiency regardless of your body type.  

Mark 

2015-11-23 9:32 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar

Is the 85-90% of your all out 100 time a rule of thumb for completing 100 repeats? I've never heard that. I certainly don't do my repeats that fast.

That's for hitting the wall, not for interval.  I don't know if it's a rule of thumb.....but it's what my kid's coach has me doing.  I know it's what they do consistently, but they are more around 85% because they are swimming for 2.5 hours.  I watched them last week do 50 100's on 1:10 SCY.....they were hitting the wall in :55 - :58....it hurt me just watching.

2015-11-23 9:32 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Our coach has us do most of our aerobic sets around 80% of max.  For descending sets we'll start out at 75% and then work toward 90-95% by the last interval.

Our last set of the day is usually some all-out 25's, 50's or 100's that we turn into a fun intra-squad competition (trash talking is encouraged).  

Mark

2015-11-23 9:35 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Pro

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Our coach has us do most of our aerobic sets around 80% of max.  For descending sets we'll start out at 75% and then work toward 90-95% by the last interval.

Our last set of the day is usually some all-out 25's, 50's or 100's that we turn into a fun intra-squad competition (trash talking is encouraged).  

Mark

You're going quite a bit longer than 30 minutes, right?  I'm trying to give the OP as much bang for his 30 minutes as he can get......it's not much to work with.

2015-11-23 10:02 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

That's for hitting the wall, not for interval.  I don't know if it's a rule of thumb.....but it's what my kid's coach has me doing.  I know it's what they do consistently, but they are more around 85% because they are swimming for 2.5 hours.  I watched them last week do 50 100's on 1:10 SCY.....they were hitting the wall in :55 - :58....it hurt me just watching.

That sounds like 20 different kinds of terrible all in one set.
2015-11-23 10:04 AM

Sarasota, Florida
and how do you calculate that? My consistent all out 100 is 1:40 though that's subject to change since I recently started experimenting with longer strokes, but if I do intervals on 1:50 forget it... I try to do 100s on 2:00 and can only do it 4xs but I never count my last cause I always come in just over 2:00 and after that my head is in the gutter and I feel like I just did a 5 minute mile on the treadmill. From there I take a 5 minute break and increase my time. I think 2:10 is a more appropriate set to get more laps of 100 in. Sorry to add personal stats in, but I've been swim focused lately.

Edited by runtim23 2015-11-23 10:08 AM
2015-11-23 10:11 AM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by runtim23

and how do you calculate that? My consistent all out 100 is 1:40 though that's subject to change since I recently started experimenting with longer strokes, but if I do intervals on 1:50 forget it... I try to do 100s on 2:00 and can only do it 4xs but I never count my last cause I always come in just over 2:00 and after that my head is in the gutter and I feel like I just did a 5 minute mile on the treadmill. From there I take a 5 minute break and increase my time. I think 2:10 is a more appropriate set to get more laps of 100 in. Sorry to add personal stats in, but I've been swim focused lately.

I think you're mixing up the interval time with the target swim pace of each interval. So, for example, if you did a stand alone 100 all out and finished it in 1:35, you would set your goal pace for intervals to be between 1:45-1:52. You would then take as much time as needed to maintain that pace. So, if that meant doing your intervals on 3:00, so be it, as long as you are coming back to the wall within 1:45-1:52. If you can do that consistently on 3:00 intervals, then decrease the interval time to 2:45...then repeat.

2015-11-23 10:12 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by runtim23 and how do you calculate that? My consistent all out 100 is 1:40 though that's subject to change since I recently started experimenting with longer strokes, but if I do intervals on 1:50 forget it... I try to do 100s on 2:00 and can only do it 4xs but I never count my last cause I always come in just over 2:00 and after that my head is in the gutter and I feel like I just did a 5 minute mile on the treadmill. From there I take a 5 minute break and reduce my time. I think 2:10 is a more appropriate set to get more laps of 100 in. Sorry to add personal stats in, but I've been swim focused lately.

If your consistent 100 all-out is 1:40....then you should  hit the wall in 1:55 on intervals.  How much rest you need to get more reps in is up to you.  BUT......I would increase the rest before I increased my swim time.  The more reps the better.  What you want to work on is decreasing the rest time, and thus, decreasing your interval time.  The interval time is swim +rest. 

In your case, for now, you need to increase the rest.  If your actual swim time is increasing then your stroke is falling apart and you're not gaining anything except ingraining bad form.  Find the least amount of rest needed to get you to the wall in ~85% of your best time for the number of reps you are wanting to do.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-11-23 10:13 AM
2015-11-23 10:34 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Mark

You're going quite a bit longer than 30 minutes, right?  I'm trying to give the OP as much bang for his 30 minutes as he can get......it's not much to work with.

I was responding to his question about the pace for swimming the 100's, not the length of the workout.  Agree that 30 minutes is not much to work with. That's why I suggested earlier that everything be done on a specific send-off or rest interval to minimize the amount of idle time during the workout.  

To answer your question, our morning masters workouts are from 6:00AM to 7:45AM, which is longer than 30 minitues  .  Our warm-up sets are normally between 600-1000 yards, which can easily take 30 minutes.   

Mark   

2015-11-23 10:40 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Pro

Mark

I was responding to his question about the pace for swimming the 100's, not the length of the workout.  Agree that 30 minutes is not much to work with. That's why I suggested earlier that everything be done on a specific send-off or rest interval to minimize the amount of idle time during the workout.  

To answer your question, our morning masters workouts are from 6:00AM to 7:45AM, which is longer than 30 minitues  .  Our warm-up sets are normally between 600-1000 yards, which can easily take 30 minutes.   

Mark   

Yep, pretty standard for a decent swim workout.

2015-11-23 11:21 AM

Sarasota, Florida
If your consistent 100 all-out is 1:40....then you should hit the wall in 1:55 on intervals. How much rest you need to get more reps in is up to you. BUT......I would increase the rest before I increased my swim time. The more reps the better. What you want to work on is decreasing the rest time, and thus, decreasing your interval time. The interval time is swim +rest.

In your case, for now, you need to increase the rest. If your actual swim time is increasing then your stroke is falling apart and you're not gaining anything except ingraining bad form. Find the least amount of rest needed to get you to the wall in ~85% of your best time for the number of reps you are wanting to do.

Ok. I have been starting my stopwatch then leave it so I come back after the first 100, rest for 15 sec then send myself back out on every 2:00 min mark so my rest time is reduced each rep from say 15 sec 10 sec 5 sec till I can't maintain. I CAN swim faster if I use my funky 4 beat kick or a 6 beat kick but I wouldn't race using those so strictly keep everything with a correct 2 beat kick. I was under the impression that's how intervals work. You constrain yourself to intervals on the clock.

Edited by runtim23 2015-11-23 11:22 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim frequency question Rss Feed  

of 2