General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Base, Build phase for cycling. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-22 8:24 PM

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Subject: Base, Build phase for cycling.
So my next IM isn't for a while. End of Aug to be exact. However I'm bored and want to begin my training.From my readings online they say a base phase

should be around 12 weeks long. 8 week build phase and 8 weeks specialty phase with taper. That still leaves me with about 2 months of training and i

can't seem to get an answer online for my question. So I'm wondering... Do i do the 12 week base phase and then make my build phase longer or would i

burnout too early before my comp? I thought about making my base phase longer but i really want to make gains on the bike. What would you

recommend?

2015-11-23 7:24 AM
in reply to: zombie2212

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Base, Build phase for cycling.

What is your experience level?  How long have you been involved in endurance sports up until now?  How many hours are you currently training per week?

2015-11-23 11:44 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Originally posted by Birkierunner

What is your experience level?  How long have you been involved in endurance sports up until now?  How many hours are you currently training per week?

Im no pro lol. Ive been in the sport (Triathlon) for about three years. Took it somewhat serious last year because I went for an Ironman distance. Did that

in October succesfully. Never really did endurance sports until last year. That being said I was far from being a couch potato. Always stay in decent

shape. Right now im training roughly 10 hours a week and that includes mostly swimming and running. Its actually all swimming and running lol. Suppose

to start my cycling base phase tomorrow which entails about 10-13 hours a week just on the bike alone.
2015-11-23 12:14 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

10-13 hours on the bike during the winter?  In Ontario?  There are much better ways to attack out-of-competition training, IMO.  "Base" training does not have to be lots of long, slow work.  For most (those without practically unlimited training time), that is probably the least effective way to attack the issue.  Probably still need some more info about your ability, goals, etc. to give helpful suggestions.  But focusing on working hard toward some intermediate goals (e.g., 10k of half marathon, swim or bike time trial, early season HIM or oly) that support your long term goal (Aug '16 IM) is probably an effective way to build your 'base' and shake off any boredom.

2015-11-23 1:24 PM

User image

I was in a similar situation. The way I understand it is that is too long of a block to try to build and hold your level of fitness for an A race. I decided to find another race to build for in the Spring. Then recover and build again for your big race in August. So I'm training up for an Oly in April, then A race (Oly) in August. But my A race is not an IM, so your plan may be a little different.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Base, Build phase for cycling. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Structure an Olympic Distance base building phase for me

Started by jcs_multisport
Views: 1073 Posts: 8

2013-02-05 7:52 PM JZig

Low Rep vs High Rep Weight Training during base building phase

Started by jperna
Views: 2889 Posts: 2

2010-09-05 2:54 PM uhcoog

Mmmm I <3 Build Phase

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 469 Posts: 3

2009-04-06 10:17 AM disturbed275

Building cycling base using Turbo trainer

Started by DenisB
Views: 2426 Posts: 2

2007-09-18 9:01 AM Machiavelo

Reduction in training during build phase?

Started by joscon
Views: 607 Posts: 4

2005-11-04 7:36 PM joscon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
This month, the focus will be on building your aerobic base while improving or maintaining stroke technique.

date : October 22, 2008
author : Curt Chesney
What training do you do during your off season? Any advice on what to aim for? Should I focus on building a better base?
date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
This part of the program is the conditioning phase using several bodyweight exercises including pushups, pullups, dips, squats and situps.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
You ride hard enough that you are working but not so hard that you can’t do the same thing the next day. 700 km or 400 miles a week.