General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fins Tempo Trainer - first impressions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-23 5:50 AM

User image

Subject: Fins Tempo Trainer - first impressions
First off, this is not a comprehensive review and I am not any type of authority on swimming. That said, here are my first impressions while using the Fins Tempo Trainer.

Functionality
This review does not include functions (modes) of the TT. I just set it to beep every 1:10 and used it in mode 1.

Clip-on (i.e. staying in place)
In a previous attempt, I clipped the TT on to the straps of my Zoggs. I could not hear the beep very well and thought to solve it this time by using a swim cap and clipping it directly over the ear. I did, and jumped in to the pool, only to find it had dissipated... After some dismay and searching, I found it floating half way down the lane... (so yes, it does float). I clipped it on again and was careful not to exert any unusual forces on it... Still, during one of the sets I suddenly found I was swimming without it. Again it was found loitering near the lane separator floats somewhere. I would say that the clip-on facility is very poor indeed. Most chances that in open water you would never find it again (despite floating). So thumbs down on that.

Audibility
The main problem I faced was that I did not always hear the device. Just add a little splashing or outside noise and the beep is hardly audible even when placed directly over the ear. The best results were obtained while face down in the water and no breathing and the device submerged (yes, sound does travel better in water). But overall this is highly disappointing and in my view a huge drawback. I ended up getting my que "now and then" as and when I heard it.

Swimming to the beep
The above construction issues aside, I experimented with keeping my strokes in sync with the device. I tried various methods: grabbing water with each hand on the beep (i.e. when hand enters the water and starts to pull), when the hand was at the hips at the end of the pull, etc. Often I found I was out of sync and then compensated by either delaying or swimming catch-up. Generally speaking I would have expected that my laps would be quite even (or close enough), but as can be seen from the session below this was hardly the case (by the way, interval 4 was done without the TT, just to compare).
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/964586404

Summary
From a construction/usability aspect, I find the TT very disappointing what with falling off frequently (I don't mean the actual fabrication which seems to be fine). I suppose using it correctly does of course take time, that is fine, but then again not easy to do if you can't hear it!! So low marks on audio also.

Will keep trying though.

PS - If you are considering one of these, best you see if you can get one from a friend to try it out first IMHO.

2015-11-23 6:56 AM
in reply to: #5153248

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: Fins Tempo Trainer - first impressions
Don't use the clip. Put it under your swim cap next to your ear. I'll miss a few beats here and there but I hear them often enough to keep my cadence in sync. I set mine between .85 and .90 for each hand entry...faster if I'm doing speed work.
2015-11-23 7:44 AM
in reply to: aribloch

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
While you give a review, I'll just add this....

People swear by the tempo trainer and I know some that have seen benefit and/or improvement in their strokes/times.

The big caveat, and it is big, is that in order to use the TT properly and to apply it to your stroke, you need to keep a full stroke. For many they use it to increase their stroke rate, for some its to increase their stroke rate because "they heard it makes you a better swimmer", without any knowledge if they actually need the benefit of a higher stroke rate.

It's still very easy to cheat and shorten your stroke somewhere to increase your stroke rate, that is not the goal of the TT and it can very well hinder your stroke.

I personally am not a fan of the TT.
2015-11-23 8:39 AM
in reply to: #5153251

I've recently started using the Finnis TT, I put it under my cap above my ear, I use mode 1 setting it for my CSS pace and add+/- depending on drill. So each 25m or 33m etc it beeps this enables great pacing I have noticed improvements in my 200 & 400 TT already.
2015-11-23 9:21 AM
in reply to: loops

User image

I did not intend to say it is categorically not a good tool, just pointing out my observations.
I think if I am able to hear it properly it should be of use, sure.
By the way, I think I would definitely secure it with a smallish chord and clip to the swim cap.
2015-11-23 2:00 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

My experience:

1.  Before starting to use the TT, have someone on deck use a stopwatch to time your turnover rate as you swim "normally", then use that number to set the TT.  That way you can sync the TT to your stroke rather than "chasing" some arbitrary setting with your stroke.

2.  I've had a couple of them and have had some reliability problems.  They're not inexpensive and I decided my money would be better spent on other things.

Mark 

2015-11-25 10:29 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by aribloch

I did not intend to say it is categorically not a good tool, just pointing out my observations.
I think if I am able to hear it properly it should be of use, sure.
By the way, I think I would definitely secure it with a smallish chord and clip to the swim cap.

Throw the clip away and put it under your swim cap, digits facing away. then you get good bone conduction as well.

The tempo trainer can be a fantastic tool for training if it's used wisely. An initial or even persistent poor experience with it shouldn't prompt you to avoid it (MARK/RedCorvette) but look for additional ways to use it.

In our TI clinics for students and coaches I dedicate a 20 minute guided session on it's use which just scratches the surface of how it can help you improve your technique...which in turm will help your speed. Using it for increasing tempo is ONE way, but counterintuitively, using it to slow down your tempo gradually, then speed it back up ccan help you make automatic adjustments in your form that a coach can't see, and you may not even be aware of.

You can begin to sense things about how you move that were difficult to verbalize before because you may not have been aware of them at all.

The last thing I'll mention is that some of the best ways to synchronize are one of the following:
1 Hand Entry
2 Full Extension
3 Hip Rotation
4 Kick (each kick if using 2BK, rotational kick if using 6BK)

using it to synchronize with parts of your power phase can often lead to you getting stuck in a high drag position which will slow you down (again, counterintuitive).

if you're interested in more detail I can point you to some nice articles on how to use one in a variety of ways. Until you try a bunch of them don't give up on it. (MARK!!)

2015-11-27 7:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
The clip is not meant to be used in the pool. It says so in the manual.

95% of the time I use pacer mode.
2015-11-28 8:40 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

Originally posted by bcagle25

While you give a review, I'll just add this....

People swear by the tempo trainer and I know some that have seen benefit and/or improvement in their strokes/times.

The big caveat, and it is big, is that in order to use the TT properly and to apply it to your stroke, you need to keep a full stroke. For many they use it to increase their stroke rate, for some its to increase their stroke rate because "they heard it makes you a better swimmer", without any knowledge if they actually need the benefit of a higher stroke rate.

It's still very easy to cheat and shorten your stroke somewhere to increase your stroke rate, that is not the goal of the TT and it can very well hinder your stroke.

I personally am not a fan of the TT.

Boom, exactly what I was going to write. Got a TT because my stroke rate was "too low" and became obsessed with increasing my stroke rate, but have since gone back to a slower stroke rate. The TTs can definitely send people off on the wrong track, you've got people with crap catch & pulls working like mad to get 75/spm...
2015-11-28 11:29 AM
in reply to: #5153269

I love my Tempo Trainer, As a triathlete it helps me stay consistent throughout the swim as before the TT I'd go out too hard.
AdventureBear is 100% spot on with her reply. Under the cap is best, sounds even better whilst wearing ear plugs.
Learn how to use it and it can do amazing things.
This past year I had some sessions with a fantastic swim coach and (amongst working on technique) went from swimming at a faster tempo .73 (swimming 2:15/100) to a a slower tempo .94 (1:55/100). I don't mention this to spark any controversy between high or low stroke rates, simply to show what I it has done for me. I was able to race Ironman Arizona with a Personal record with less energy expended.
Happy Training!
2015-11-28 8:54 PM
in reply to: LuckyLo

User image

Pro

Originally posted by LuckyLo I love my Tempo Trainer, As a triathlete it helps me stay consistent throughout the swim as before the TT I'd go out too hard. AdventureBear is 100% spot on with her reply. Under the cap is best, sounds even better whilst wearing ear plugs. Learn how to use it and it can do amazing things. This past year I had some sessions with a fantastic swim coach and (amongst working on technique) went from swimming at a faster tempo .73 (swimming 2:15/100) to a a slower tempo .94 (1:55/100). I don't mention this to spark any controversy between high or low stroke rates, simply to show what I it has done for me. I was able to race Ironman Arizona with a Personal record with less energy expended. Happy Training!

Well......no, but I'm glad you got some lessons, which helped you WAY more then the "amazing"  tempo trainer.  Your gains, from 2:15/100 to 1:55/100 are almost certainly due to improvement in technique. (and you have a lot of low hanging fruit to still get to by continuing to learn to swim)

I guess if it helps you think about what you are doing it's great......but it's a loooooong way from amazing.

Congrats on the PR!

2015-11-28 11:53 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Left Brain

Well......no, but I'm glad you got some lessons, which helped you WAY more then the "amazing"  tempo trainer.  Your gains, from 2:15/100 to 1:55/100 are almost certainly due to improvement in technique. (and you have a lot of low hanging fruit to still get to by continuing to learn to swim)

I guess if it helps you think about what you are doing it's great......but it's a loooooong way from amazing.

Congrats on the PR!

Don't discount her experience with it. It's a tool and like anything else, when used right, it can be amazing. Could a swim coach have done that without a tempo trainer? Of course...but in this case, the TT is what helped her do it. Maybe in some other swimmers case it'd be the paddle or the pull bouy or the snorkle...whatever helps people fix their problems.

Besides, she said I was right.
2015-11-29 5:45 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I was all ready to pull the trigger and buy one of these until I read this thread.  I despise wearing a cap!

2015-11-29 11:32 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
I always wear a cap, and the things my coach had wanted me to really work on included my turnover, I have a powerful, but slow stroke.

I've been considering getting one of these to help with that specifically as I have a gift card to the local outdoor/tri shop, but now I am having second thoughts!
2015-11-30 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by AdventureBear
Originally posted by aribloch I did not intend to say it is categorically not a good tool, just pointing out my observations. I think if I am able to hear it properly it should be of use, sure. By the way, I think I would definitely secure it with a smallish chord and clip to the swim cap.
Throw the clip away and put it under your swim cap, digits facing away. then you get good bone conduction as well. The tempo trainer can be a fantastic tool for training if it's used wisely. An initial or even persistent poor experience with it shouldn't prompt you to avoid it (MARK/RedCorvette) but look for additional ways to use it. In our TI clinics for students and coaches I dedicate a 20 minute guided session on it's use which just scratches the surface of how it can help you improve your technique...which in turm will help your speed. Using it for increasing tempo is ONE way, but counterintuitively, using it to slow down your tempo gradually, then speed it back up ccan help you make automatic adjustments in your form that a coach can't see, and you may not even be aware of. You can begin to sense things about how you move that were difficult to verbalize before because you may not have been aware of them at all. The last thing I'll mention is that some of the best ways to synchronize are one of the following: 1 Hand Entry 2 Full Extension 3 Hip Rotation 4 Kick (each kick if using 2BK, rotational kick if using 6BK) using it to synchronize with parts of your power phase can often lead to you getting stuck in a high drag position which will slow you down (again, counterintuitive). if you're interested in more detail I can point you to some nice articles on how to use one in a variety of ways. Until you try a bunch of them don't give up on it. (MARK!!)

I don't disagree at all that it can be a useful training aid.  Mine was helpful during open water training swims when I was getting ready for St A's last year in maintaining my target pace without the reference points you have when swimming in a pool.  

My major complaint was the quality/reliability of the thing.  I had two fail in a relatively short period of time.  I got the first one replaced under warranty, but when the second one failed I decided it wasn't worth the effort so gave up on it.  At $40 I don't really consider it to be a "throw away" item  - by comparison I've had $40 Timex Ironman watches that have lasted for years without any problems.  Maybe I've been a bit unlucky, but I've also read where they have about a 10% failure rate.  

Mark

2015-11-30 3:06 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
mark was it the original tempo trainer (round) or the tempo trainer pro? (floats, replacable battery?)

I don't disagree some are duds ,but I go through a lot of them with use in clincs and students purchasing them from me afterwards (at a discount b/c they'r e used), and I just send back ones that dont work. Come to think of it though I havn't had any failures in the last 2 years.

2015-11-30 3:14 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by AdventureBear mark was it the original tempo trainer (round) or the tempo trainer pro? (floats, replacable battery?) I don't disagree some are duds ,but I go through a lot of them with use in clincs and students purchasing them from me afterwards (at a discount b/c they'r e used), and I just send back ones that dont work. Come to think of it though I havn't had any failures in the last 2 years.

I think the original tempo trainer was shaped exactly like a kick board.  It was launched at you from the deck by a coach who was screaming, "FASTER, FASTER..... STROKE, STROKE, STROKE!!!!!!"

2015-12-02 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
Hey bud, tempo trainer has been in use in the world of swimming for decades. It does not need your review. BTW, you slip it under the cap and you can hear it clearly, just ask any swim coach. No need here to re-invent the wheel on writing "Review" on a no brainer device.
2015-12-02 10:08 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by AdventureBear mark was it the original tempo trainer (round) or the tempo trainer pro? (floats, replacable battery?) I don't disagree some are duds ,but I go through a lot of them with use in clincs and students purchasing them from me afterwards (at a discount b/c they'r e used), and I just send back ones that dont work. Come to think of it though I havn't had any failures in the last 2 years.

I think the original tempo trainer was shaped exactly like a kick board.  It was launched at you from the deck by a coach who was screaming, "FASTER, FASTER..... STROKE, STROKE, STROKE!!!!!!"

My coach used water polo balls! If you weren't going fast enough you had immediate feedback.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fins Tempo Trainer - first impressions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Impressions from my first time ever in a tri suit last night in a pool

Started by JTNY
Views: 1252 Posts: 11

2014-06-25 12:35 PM KathyG

First Triathlon (Olympic) Impressions

Started by rcwso
Views: 1883 Posts: 5

2013-05-23 10:45 AM MOlsen

To Fin or not to Fin, that is the question

Started by tuwood
Views: 1899 Posts: 22

2012-03-10 7:51 PM sand101

I have the Power!!!!! - First impressions Pages: 1 2

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 3885 Posts: 37

2010-11-11 12:25 PM gerald12

Wheel Cover - First Ride Impressions

Started by ranger5oh
Views: 1197 Posts: 12

2008-04-06 10:05 AM ranger5oh
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : January 3, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
We review the Halo Swim Trainer and how it can help the 'high elbow catch' part of your swim stroke along with your swimming tempo.
date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.

date : February 11, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I am still pretty weak in the water and have a pair of Zoomers that I use for drills. What do you think of wearing fins to swim in the pool until I build up endurance?
date : March 5, 2006
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
BT'ers vote on all of their favorite products, sites and people. See results for the sports of swim, bike, run and triathlon.