General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMPORTANT QUESTION: Out & Back or Loop Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

IMPORTANT QUESTION: Out & Back or Loop
OptionResults
Loop Run
Out and Back Run
Treadmill

2015-11-23 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: IMPORTANT QUESTION: Out & Back or Loop

It's actually not important because the correct answer as a loop run, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

For long runs (or at least long-ish runs) I always prefer to have a planned run that loops back around to my starting location. This makes the run more interesting as you get to see something new for the whole run; a constant change of scenery if you will.

My wife argues that the out-and-back run is best as it allows her to know exactly how much farther she has to go in her run, especially when she's struggling to finish.

What say you BT? Which is best?

2015-11-23 9:19 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: IMPORTANT QUESTION: Out & Back or Loop
A almost always plan a loop run when outside. Much more interesting for me.
2015-11-23 10:03 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Point to point, and get your wife to pick you up.

2015-11-23 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Barkeep

It's actually not important because the correct answer as a loop run, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

For long runs (or at least long-ish runs) I always prefer to have a planned run that loops back around to my starting location. This makes the run more interesting as you get to see something new for the whole run; a constant change of scenery if you will.

My wife argues that the out-and-back run is best as it allows her to know exactly how much farther she has to go in her run, especially when she's struggling to finish.

What say you BT? Which is best?

Dude, how long have you been married???? I've been married far too long to think she might possibly be wrong. 

2015-11-23 11:26 AM
in reply to: trijamie

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by trijamie

That's on my list to do: Only it will be on a bike, and the route will have a nice, strong tail wind the whole way . . .
2015-11-23 11:29 AM
in reply to: #5153272

User image

I can't figure out how to submit a response to the poll from my phone, but I always do out-and-backs. I do that because my nieghborhood connects to a major highway (a 2-lane, 55 MPH highway w/no sidewalks), and to do a loop I need to run along the side of this highway, which makes me very uncomfortable. So I plan out-and-backs during which I can always stay on the sidewalk.

I am also like your wife in that I like knowing exactly how far I have left. I suppose if I knew a loop was X miles long, I could do basic math and use my watch to figure out how far I have left, but I do prefer the out-and-backs.

2015-11-23 1:29 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Out and back 99% of the time. My rationale is that if I make it halfway out, I HAVE to get back home somehow. When I do loops, I am tempted to stop early because I'm home, or at my car, or what not. 

...a planned run that loops back around...
This makes the run more interesting as you get to see something new for the whole run; a constant change of scenery if you will.

See I would argue the opposite - if you are doing loops, you're seeing the same things over and over. An out and back you will see much more "scenery" - no?

2015-11-23 2:55 PM

User image

Out and back.   If I am running a loop it's probably around my hood.  Out and back I have gone somewhere like a trail or path go for a run.

2015-11-23 3:17 PM
in reply to: Toffels

User image

out and back involves retracing your steps, this is morally wrong 

2015-11-23 3:48 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
Originally posted by lisac957

Out and back 99% of the time. My rationale is that if I make it halfway out, I HAVE to get back home somehow. When I do loops, I am tempted to stop early because I'm home, or at my car, or what not. 

This makes the run more interesting as you get to see something new for the whole run; a constant change of scenery if you will.

See I would argue the opposite - if you are doing loops, you're seeing the same things over and over. An out and back you will see much more "scenery" - no?

I think he means doing one big loop not mulitple loops. As multiple loops would basically be an out and back.

Loop is the correct answer. Out and backs are lame and boring.
2015-11-23 4:03 PM
in reply to: jaredfore

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jaredfore

I think he means doing one big loop not mulitple loops. As multiple loops would basically be an out and back. Loop is the correct answer. Out and backs are lame and boring.

I see now. One big loop vs. an out and back. 
You know I have never once in 10 years of running considered doing one big loop. Maybe I will now.

2015-11-23 4:11 PM
in reply to: jaredfore

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

Originally posted by jaredfore

I think he means doing one big loop not mulitple loops. As multiple loops would basically be an out and back. Loop is the correct answer. Out and backs are lame and boring.

That's the ticket.

I love trying to map out a giant loop around the local roads hoping to run somewhere I never would have before, instead of the same ol' out and back on a stretch of road I've ran a thousand times before.

2015-11-23 4:17 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Short or long - I'll always run a loop.  I have about 10 different 5k loops from my house (20 if done in reverse).  Since I've run in the same area for 12 years now, I am pretty good a knowing the mileage home from almost anywhere around.  On longer runs, I like to take new routes and then try to calculate the route back that will get me as close to my goal mileage without being under.

Only if I am in a strange location will I run and out and back.

2015-11-23 4:41 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I've always done out and backs, but when you live on an island with only one road, there is no other option really (that doesn't inovolve swimming). Now that I am in an area that has both longitudinal and lattitudinal options, I am trying to mix it up. However, I find myself defaulting to out and backs for the time being since I don't know my way around.

I have been doing a multiple/branched out and back though. So if I am running 11 miles, I will run out 4 then turn around and on the way back do a sub-out and back off the original route that is 1.5 miles each way. This allows me to explore a bit more without getting lost.

The other benifit of an out and back is that you can go uphill and/or upwind on your way out and downhill/downwind on your way back which is always my preference.
2015-11-23 5:02 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

In my case, that would probably end up being an out & back...

Mark

2015-11-23 5:05 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by RedCorvette

In my case, that would probably end up being an out & back...

Mark

Bwahahaha!

2015-11-23 6:07 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

I do some of each.  Some runs fall more into the out and back category, others are just big loops.  Either way, they all take me back to home.  ;-)  I try to avoid the dreadmill, but I'll have to see how that works out if this el Nino thing actually arrives at some point.

Having scenery repeat during the run really doesn't bother me at all.  It is nice to try some different routes throughout the week, though, so that it's not the same view day after day.

2015-11-23 8:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
I definitely prefer running a loop over an out and back. What I like even better is a loop variant that I don't really have a name for...maybe an improvised loop?

There's a large park near my house that's about 3 miles long and around 2 miles across. It's criss crossed with gravel pathways and single track trails. I sometimes (but not always) don't know until I get there what route I will take - I decide to go left or right on the spur of the moment. This park is big enough and has so many paths that I could run for years without repeating a route. But it's small enough that I'm never more than a few minutes away from a familiar landmark. It's about a mile from my house and 3 or 4 miles from downtown.

In some other posts I have been shamelessly posting pictures to show off the area I live in. Why stop now..
Don

(IMG_0381 reduced.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0381 reduced.jpg (537KB - 2 downloads)
2015-11-23 11:57 PM
in reply to: donw

User image

I like out-and-back better, partly because I am terrible at planning loops and always seem to be short or long. With out-and-back I don't have to think.
It doesn't really feel like you're seeing the same scenery all over again, because the perspective on the way back is different.
2015-11-24 8:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

I lived in the country outside a town of 5,000 in Texas for 5-1/2 years.  There was a neighborhood a quarter mile up the highway from our home that had a 2 mile loop and some dead end streets.  From my house I could get 6 miles in if I went up and down every dead end street.  I loved that that loop. Doing two or three loops worked great.  It was perfect for training. In August I moved to a neighborhood in the country out side a slightly larger town in Oklahoma.  There is no loop, just dead end streets.  If I go up and down all the streets I can get in 2 miles.  Both work. Having done both I can say that the loop is much nicer for training.  I hate getting to the end of a street and having to turn around it breaks my stride. As far as the physiological effect of knowing how much further you have to go, that is not something that factors into my running. I can check my wrist watch and know how much further I have to go, or more important how much more I can add to my run with out making myself late to work.  I know my time is about up when it start to get light out side.  I am usually running due East when the sun peaks over the horizon on those morning runs.  I like to sleep in as much as the next guy but I guess I am a morning person because watching the sun rise while I am out on my morning run is one of my favorite moments of the day.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-11-24 8:25 AM
2015-11-24 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Loop... no question about it.
My wife and workout partners might even argue that I'm neurotic about doing loops instead of out-and-backs... :-)

2015-11-24 9:27 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Haymarket, VA

Originally posted by cdban66

Dude, how long have you been married???? I've been married far too long to think she might possibly be wrong. 

Only 5 years here, and I already know this.  

That being said I plan any solo run/bike as a loop.  If I'm with the wife then it's an out and back.

2015-11-24 10:23 AM
in reply to: #5153272

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Mike mike mike mike you know the correct answer is "you're right dear" ??

But everybody is different. I actually do both. Loops in my area involve sidewalks and street views whereas the trail here is all nature stuff and I can't get a loop consisting of all trail. Long runs actually involve a little of both occasionally (loop through the neighborhood and some out & back portions on the trail. If u can handle an hour on the trainer or an hour in the pooI I can certainly handle an out & back run!
2015-11-25 2:25 PM

User image

Elite

I prefer loops runs when they are available.  When I run in an unfamiliar place, I almost always go out and back. It helps me run the right amount.   I just turn around at the distance or time that I want to go.  Also, i don't get lost.  

About the boredom factor, when you run from the same starting point for several years, all the available routes are gone over a lot of times.  There are just so many ways to go 5-6 miles starting at your house.  Biking routes can be more varied just because you go so much farther.  It is one of the reasons I prefer biking over running.

TW

2015-11-25 4:25 PM

User image

The only time it matters is during cold runs. When it's below - 25, I always do short loops because if you twist an ankle or something and you're far away from home on an out and back and you have sweat on you, you could easily get hypothermia getting back.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMPORTANT QUESTION: Out & Back or Loop Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

Question: Back to back events?

Started by indianacyclist
Views: 933 Posts: 7

2011-07-26 8:45 AM japarker24

Back to Back to Back races

Started by btlovin
Views: 2028 Posts: 14

2011-01-17 8:50 PM stevestenzel

Question on doing Sprints on back to back weekends

Started by uhcoog
Views: 955 Posts: 5

2010-08-31 9:24 AM uhcoog

Out and Back or Loops... Pages: 1 2

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 1585 Posts: 38

2008-08-05 9:13 AM Nelg

Back to back races....question!!!

Started by rhodespedal
Views: 566 Posts: 2

2007-06-26 10:30 AM briderdt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?