General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Watch recommendation for Run only. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-23 2:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: Watch recommendation for Run only.
My daughter likes to run and has decided she wants to do a marathon. She has zero interest in swimming and a tiny interest in recreational riding, not racing or even training. She would like it to do all the usual stuff we like for running, to track walking and possibly sleep.

That's it, pretty straight forward.

Since I am a very poor runner the research on the watch I ended up with, the Garmin Vivoactive, was much more focused on the swim and bike capabilities and to be honest, the run was an afterthought for me.

For all you runners out there, what should I be looking at?

Thanks,

2015-11-23 2:45 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Watch recommendation for Run only.

Originally posted by Stuartap My daughter likes to run and has decided she wants to do a marathon. She has zero interest in swimming and a tiny interest in recreational riding, not racing or even training. She would like it to do all the usual stuff we like for running, to track walking and possibly sleep. That's it, pretty straight forward. Since I am a very poor runner the research on the watch I ended up with, the Garmin Vivoactive, was much more focused on the swim and bike capabilities and to be honest, the run was an afterthought for me. For all you runners out there, what should I be looking at? Thanks,

DC Rainmaker like the TomTom Runner and Garmin FR15 as his "budget friendly" running watches.  If you haven't already, check out his site and learn more about watches and other gadgets than you will ever want to know!

2015-11-23 3:01 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by Sous

Originally posted by Stuartap My daughter likes to run and has decided she wants to do a marathon. She has zero interest in swimming and a tiny interest in recreational riding, not racing or even training. She would like it to do all the usual stuff we like for running, to track walking and possibly sleep. That's it, pretty straight forward. Since I am a very poor runner the research on the watch I ended up with, the Garmin Vivoactive, was much more focused on the swim and bike capabilities and to be honest, the run was an afterthought for me. For all you runners out there, what should I be looking at? Thanks,

DC Rainmaker like the TomTom Runner and Garmin FR15 as his "budget friendly" running watches.  If you haven't already, check out his site and learn more about watches and other gadgets than you will ever want to know!

Yeah I looked at his website when I started looking for my watch. Lots of info, to the point of overwhelming. When I narrowed it down to just a few, it was a very helpful site.

Thanks for the reminder.
2015-11-23 3:37 PM
in reply to: Sous

New user
Key West
I have a Garmin Forerunner 15 and I really am mainly just running right now (lots of marathons). Even when I was doing more TRI's I never used a GPS or smart watch anyway. They are phasing out the 15 per my understanding and going to the 25. The 15 is supposed to have up to 8 hours with GPS enabled tracking and a very long battery life when GPS is not used. I have to say though that, at least with my watch, I am not sure 8 hours is accurate and it might be shorter. But, for running, you don't need more unless you are doing ultra's. The 25, I believe has a couple of more hours of battery life under GPS, but costs about $50 more than the 15 right now.

I have heard some less than stellar comments on the Tom Tom as far as getting and holding a satellite signal/location and don't know anything about the DC. Garmin though is pretty much the standard bearer for many runners because it is so dependable and accurate.

Good luck with your choice.
2015-11-23 3:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I also have the Garmin FR15 and it suits me well. The price was quite a bit less than other options which were more complicated than I really wanted anyway. I have 2 gripes with it. The battery life won't last long enough for events like Ironman or ultras. Secondly, even though you can customize what's visible on screen, you can't set it to show both heart rate and pace at the same time, so you'd have to keep switching between screens which is annoying and I've already given up on doing that. Still, I think it's a great beginner's gps/heart rate watch. It'll show you your sleep movements if you're into that kind of thing, and I love being able to look at the map afterwards and see graphs of my heart rate and pace corresponding with where I was on an interactive google map. Also adding that the time it takes to acquire satellites is usually pretty good. The longest I've had to wait is around 2 minutes, but it's usually ready to go within 15 seconds.

Edited by trijamie 2015-11-23 3:53 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Watch recommendation for Run only. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need a recommendation for a new watch

Started by pga_mike
Views: 2264 Posts: 12

2014-12-18 2:58 PM lkct01234

Swim watch recommendation

Started by hayai_240
Views: 1153 Posts: 14

2012-02-23 3:17 AM abraxas

Watch recommendations please

Started by A leder
Views: 1547 Posts: 18

2012-01-03 12:14 PM smithe68

GPS watch recommendation for a runner? Pages: 1 2

Started by carriecook
Views: 2131 Posts: 29

2011-03-25 10:33 AM enderokc

Triathlon Watch Recommendation

Started by Trail_Runner
Views: 12836 Posts: 8

2008-04-17 6:57 PM Z-dog
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Don't power through your off season! Rest and take it easy. Our doctors tell you why rest is important, how long to rest, and what training and exercises you should be doing.

date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.
date : April 2, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 2
This article will cover the basics on the nutritional needs of athletes and will include some standard recommendations from neutral bodies.