General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Offseason Marathon a Good Idea or Not? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-12-01 11:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Offseason Marathon a Good Idea or Not?
Originally posted by 3mar

Originally posted by marcag

IF, this is a big IF, the goal is to improve your bike

I would,

-do what Jason says and spread out the bikes
-I understand the spin class with the wife is convenient, so that's OK, but lose the other spin class
-do at least 2 of the power mentor workouts per week. They should kick your a$$. Use your PM. That with a long bike & 1 spin sounds good
-run easy at first. If you survive :-) then consider adding some more work to the run be it tempo, speed, strength.....which could be debated ad-nauseum. -

But the reality is if you kick your s$$ on the bike, you probably won't want to do this anyways.

Monitor for burn out

A six day week would make scheduling workouts a lot easier. I have had the darndest time getting things to space out properly. Taking into account yours and others advice, I put together another itteration. Our kids' swim lessons just got switched to late Saturday mornings (all three moved up a level!) so that nixes the Satruday morning workout with the wife which frees me up to do a long run in the morning then take the kids to their swim lessons while my wife does her long run. It also makes scheduling a bit easier.

you are getting close :-)

back of the napkin math, making some assumptions about content of the workouts is 24% of your load is coming from swim, 43 from bike and 32 from run, (if you run easy)

me, personally would do at least 1 more run without adding mileage (taking from other runs). you will get a good run base on which to build later on, remembering that a late year IM is the ultimate goal (I think)

build into this, adding the optional workouts and extending the runs while monitoring burnout is what I would do

Edited by marcag 2015-12-01 11:23 AM

2015-12-01 12:08 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Agree with Marc...you're close.  At this point you could just go with your plan and adjust as you see fit, but this is more like what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Sunday - Long ride with tempo and threshold intervals, Optional 2-3 mile easy run afterwards.

Monday - 5 mile run easy, Optional spin class, but don't go crazy.  Maybe a few short spurts, but don't gut yourself.

Tuesday - Hard Swim, Optional easy 3-4 miles

Wednesday - Trainer ride.  Make this one count.  Optional easy 2-3 mile run afterwards.

Thursday - Moderate Swim.  Easy 3-4 mile run

Friday - Trainer ride.  Make this one count.  Optional swim.

Saturday - Long run, 7-8 miles easy.

To me, this gives you sufficient rest or easy workouts prior to and after your three hard rides (2 trainer and one long).  If after a few weeks you're managing the bike workouts okay and want to run more, add a mile to each run but still keep them easy.

2015-12-01 12:15 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

Agree with Marc...you're close.  At this point you could just go with your plan and adjust as you see fit, but this is more like what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Sunday - Long ride with tempo and threshold intervals, Optional 2-3 mile easy run afterwards.

Monday - 5 mile run easy, Optional spin class, but don't go crazy.  Maybe a few short spurts, but don't gut yourself.

Wednesday - Trainer ride.  Make this one count.  Optional easy 2-3 mile run afterwards.

Thursday - Moderate Swim.  Easy 3-4 mile run

Friday - Trainer ride.  Make this one count.  Optional swim.

To me, this gives you sufficient rest or easy workouts prior to and after your three hard rides (2 trainer and one long).  If after a few weeks you're managing the bike workouts okay and want to run more, add a mile to each run but still keep them easy.

That looks about like the bike focus work for the elite kids look this time of year.....except they are still swimming 7 days per week. (back from jujst 2 or 3 days during XC season)  Just about every bike workout has a 20 minute run after it just to keep/build some base (after 2 weeks off of running).....and one longish run.  But, they are just coming off XC season, so that was a big run focus there.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-12-01 12:17 PM
2015-12-01 1:33 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by marcag

you will get a good run base on which to build later on, remembering that a late year IM is the ultimate goal (I think)

I honestly had no (conscious) intent of doing a late year IM this year, however, I signed up for IMFL a couple of weeks ago but haven't said anything because I figured the consensus on BT would be it was too soon. Your comment freaked me out a little…am I that predictable?

IMFL wasn't sold out and it's flat, I couldn't resist. IMTX killed me on the hills, and I wanted to see what I could do on a flat course.

Originally posted by Jason N

Agree with Marc...you're close. At this point you could just go with your plan and adjust as you see fit, but this is more like what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Monday - 5 mile run easy, Optional spin class, but don't go crazy. Maybe a few short spurts, but don't gut yourself.

Wednesday - Trainer ride. Make this one count. Optional easy 2-3 mile run afterwards.

Thursday - Moderate Swim. Easy 3-4 mile run

Friday - Trainer ride. Make this one count. Optional swim.

To me, this gives you sufficient rest or easy workouts prior to and after your three hard rides (2 trainer and one long). If after a few weeks you're managing the bike workouts okay and want to run more, add a mile to each run but still keep them easy.

I appreciate you sketching this out. I'll give it a shot. Do I stay away from speed work on the run all together?
2015-12-01 1:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Your comment freaked me out a little…am I that predictable?

yes, but to be honest I thought it would be Cozumel

Do I stay away from speed work on the run all together?

yes for now. If you follow Jason's suggestion, that's 6 runs per week. With time, turn it Barry P'ish and bring some speed into the middle runs, but later on

Edited by marcag 2015-12-01 2:03 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Offseason Marathon a Good Idea or Not? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Tri training + Soccer - Good idea or not

Started by TooTallRunner
Views: 790 Posts: 6

2011-09-27 7:08 AM sfulkers

good idea, bad idea - re: bike

Started by rbtrumpet
Views: 1072 Posts: 8

2011-03-08 1:44 PM Indiana_Geoff

Watching River Monsters before next race is not a good idea

Started by mjengstrom
Views: 760 Posts: 6

2010-08-20 6:09 PM DrLeah

1st timers wave (good idea or bad idea?)

Started by triguy2004
Views: 1360 Posts: 11

2008-09-26 5:04 PM evondo

good idea or not?

Started by hoff1732
Views: 740 Posts: 14

2005-11-22 2:17 PM sauna66
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?