General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Switching from gears to single speed - awesome! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-24 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: Switching from gears to single speed - awesome!

I recently bought a Masi CX SS bike, 41x18 and have been absolutely loving it.  It's my first experience with a free wheel hub single speed... I believe my last single speed experience was in 8th grade which was the late 70's...

I bought this bike with the idea of getting into CX however now I'm thinking of throwing road tires on and just continuing to ride the roads...

I absolutely freaking love the workout and the change in riding style a SS forces you into.  I attack hills so much more than I did with my geared bike, I'm also able to stand on the pedals much longer than I ever could... 

This spring when I get my Tarmac out I'm sure it will be quite an adjustment.  Not just going to a 700x23 from a 700x32, but having all the gearing options, will I lean a bit towards mashing gears vs. a higher cadence which is more my norm?

Just wanted to share how eye opening this bike and type of riding has been for me.  I'm likely picking up a 16T as I spin out a little short of where I'd like to be.   Albeit I haven't taken this 41x18 on a couple of my really hilly rides simply out of fear....  

2015-11-24 6:55 PM
in reply to: #5153577

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Switching from gears to single speed - awesome!
I train fixed on the road off and on, running 50x17 on an older Litespeed Tachyon that has 650c wheels. When you go back to gears your riding buddies will hate you. I find I tend to stay in one gear and just bang out hills for the first 30 mins or so.

Did a local sprint Tri on it running 55x17 and averaged 24mph. Got many funny looks passing folks down in the aero bars and spinning away. Have also done many 100 mile days on it fixed for IM training.

I also race track so 145 RPM down hill is good cadence work.
2015-11-25 2:53 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I have a homebuilt fixie in my garage that I love. One gear, just get on it and go!  One benefit I didn't expect was finding out how much time I spend not pedaling. It has pushed me to work harder and longer. 

My MTB build has been used much less, but has pointed out some other deficiencies in my all around riding abilities.  IMO, we could all benefit from riding multiple types of bikes.

2015-11-25 4:32 PM
in reply to: magic

User image

interesting post. thanks!

2015-11-25 9:24 PM
in reply to: Triathlon_daddy

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
how are your knees? I am vaguely interested in single speed but I dont know if I could hack the low cadences up hills.
2015-11-26 9:34 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by DaveL how are your knees? I am vaguely interested in single speed but I dont know if I could hack the low cadences up hills.

My knees are fine however I have messed up feet, high arches that I've rolled 100's of times over the years.  They bother me a bit occasionally but it's not too bad.

Having said that, I'm running 41x18 which is a far far cry from 51x17, or  55x17.... Those combinations would put even more stress on the feet and knees so I might have a different story then..

2015-11-26 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by magic I train fixed on the road off and on, running 50x17 on an older Litespeed Tachyon that has 650c wheels. When you go back to gears your riding buddies will hate you. I find I tend to stay in one gear and just bang out hills for the first 30 mins or so. Did a local sprint Tri on it running 55x17 and averaged 24mph. Got many funny looks passing folks down in the aero bars and spinning away. Have also done many 100 mile days on it fixed for IM training. I also race track so 145 RPM down hill is good cadence work.

Do you swap out the chain ring more often than the rear freewheel cogs?  I've really only seen 16, 17 and 18T cogs however I haven't looked real hard.

a 51 or 55 chain ring sounds downright scary for even minimal climbing... However I could see the 24mph, I spin out at 19-20mph which is not my preference.  I put a 16T on my Christmas idea list, now I'm wondering if I shouldn't look towards chain rings somewhere between 41 and 50-somethings...

2015-11-26 10:25 PM
in reply to: #5153616

User image

Expert
My fixie is 650c wheels, so 50x17 is about 72 gear inches which is a good all around gear. 55x17 at 102 RPMs on that bike is right at 24mph.

I've climbed every hill around here running low 70s gear inches, some are a grind for sure. When going down try to spin ahead of the cranks if you back pedal I find my knees and legs get fatigued quick. I run brakes on my road fixie. Single speed with a coster hub is not a problem down hill.

I had the hub and rear cog made. The axle can rotate a little within the hub to take up chain slack since that frame does not have rear track fork or room for adjustment in the drop out. The hub is a disc hub turned around so the disc mount threads are on the drive side and the cog bolts right up.
2015-12-29 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

What road tire make/model/size do you run?  650x?

I'm looking for a road tire to put on my CX rims, I'm considering 25c although I wonder if that would cause issues being too aggressive with width?

2016-02-23 11:47 AM

User image

Regular
NW
Thought I would chime in here. I bought a fixed gear bike a few weeks ago after being away from tri for 3-years mostly because of biking burn-out.

As an aside, about 10-years ago when I first started tri a guy showed up on a single speed for a group ride and kicked my butt. My bike at the time had 9-cogs on the rear cassette and I had recently discussed getting a new bike with more gears because it always seemed one gear was too high and the next one was too low. And then here comes this guy that didn't get to change and I thought what in the world am I complaining about. It was apparent my bike wasn't the issue!

Back to present....I absolutely love riding this bike. I put 300-miles on it in almost 3-weeks. I equate it to being between running and geared cycling in that you have to keep your legs moving anytime you're moving and downhills can present just as much of a challenge as going uphills. Also similar is every hill becomes an interval. Just like running you start deciding when approaching a hill how you are going to tackle it.

Of course it brings in the new challenges of continuing to pedal when removing and replacing the water bottle, corners, railroad tracks, etc.

With the varied cadences it requires, I guess it really comes down to being like taking a spin class out on the road if you have rolling terrain to ride in. One moment you are out of the saddle trying to get over a rise and the next moment you're spinning like crazy down the back side.

Oh and back to my story 10-years ago looking for that perfect in between gear. I've changed out the rear cog twice and the chainring once in the past two weeks looking for that perfect gear even on the fixie in rolling terrain!

Lastly, I've tried to get back into tri and shape the past few years but honestly it's much more difficult to start back up having once been there than it is to start new. It can get depressing thinking wow I used to ride that loop in two hours, now it takes me three. With the fixed gear I have nothing to compare to. Now it's wow I did that loop at a average of 15.1 mph, last week it was 14.5!! Did I mention it's a lot warmer too because the windchill (speed) is less and your legs are always moving?

So.....It's not the end all fix all or for everyone but if you or a friend need a change-up in cycling, you can't find a cheaper way than a fixed gear bike. Oh and save your knees, have brakes to stop and feather on down hills! If you want to wear skinny jeans and use a messenger bag to carry your swim gear on your ride to the pool, that's up to you. :-)

2016-02-23 12:01 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
This is probably a dumb question (I've only been around bikes about a year and half, so I only understand half of what you guys are talking about) but....why do you need a single speed bike...why not just go out on certain workouts/races and just pick a gear and not change it? Wouldn't that be the same effect? To me it sounds like buying a second TV because you only want to watch one channel on it.

2016-02-23 12:30 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Regular
NW
Originally posted by 3mar

This is probably a dumb question (I've only been around bikes about a year and half, so I only understand half of what you guys are talking about) but....why do you need a single speed bike...why not just go out on certain workouts/races and just pick a gear and not change it? Wouldn't that be the same effect? To me it sounds like buying a second TV because you only want to watch one channel on it.

LOL, now you're sounding like my wife!!

Okay so with fixed gear there is no freewheeling. You can not coast. If the back wheel is turning, your feet are turning. If you're going down a hill, your feet are turning really fast!

My answer to your question is mental fortitude, which I guess I'm lacking. I've taken my geared bike out with the intent of staying in one gear for the whole ride and even pedaling for the whole ride. More often than not, I find excuses on dropping a gear for this one particular hill, this head wind, etc. and oh I'm just going to coast down just this one hill. With fixed, like running, it's not an option. It's completely off the table to even consider when out on the ride. Instead you need to just suck it up and get through the ride.

Yea I know...............my wife didn't buy it either. Real answer: How many bikes do you need? N+1 with N being the current number you have!!

2016-02-23 5:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Originally posted by 3marThis is probably a dumb question (I've only been around bikes about a year and half, so I only understand half of what you guys are talking about) but....why do you need a single speed bike...why not just go out on certain workouts/races and just pick a gear and not change it? Wouldn't that be the same effect? To me it sounds like buying a second TV because you only want to watch one channel on it.
Not a dumb question at all. I thought the same thing until I tried it once (entire ride in one gear) and ultimately convinced myself it was ok to shift. I'm riding a SS which is most definitely not to be confused with a fixed gear bike.Additionally the bike has cleaner lines without the rear derailleur and cassette.As a previous poster mentioned, you learn many things about approaching hills when you only have that one gear, fixed or SS. I rode Sunday with a buddy who was on a geared bike and numerous times on hills I almost ran into his wheel or went around him because he was gearing down to the comfortable gear whereas I was in attack and get it over mode....I love my SS....Edit: formatting doesn't apparently work using a tablet. Sorry for the run on paragraph

Edited by TriMike 2016-02-23 5:56 PM
2016-02-23 6:19 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by TriMike

Not a dumb question at all. I thought the same thing until I tried it once (entire ride in one gear) and ultimately convinced myself it was ok to shift. I'm riding a SS which is most definitely not to be confused with a fixed gear bike.Additionally the bike has cleaner lines without the rear derailleur and cassette.As a previous poster mentioned, you learn many things about approaching hills when you only have that one gear, fixed or SS. I rode Sunday with a buddy who was on a geared bike and numerous times on hills I almost ran into his wheel or went around him because he was gearing down to the comfortable gear whereas I was in attack and get it over mode....I love my SS....Edit: formatting doesn't apparently work using a tablet. Sorry for the run on paragraph

Not to mention the awesome feeling of reeling someone in while riding fixed/SS. Doesn't happen to me often but a nice feeling when it does!

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Switching from gears to single speed - awesome! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fixie/ Single Speed Pages: 1 2

Started by chandy14ski
Views: 1767 Posts: 26

2009-08-21 5:44 PM TooTallTri

Single Speed Training

Started by WaterDog66
Views: 1753 Posts: 15

2008-07-11 11:33 AM autigers_1998

Good inexpensive fixed gear/single-speed commuter bike

Started by goalie
Views: 7365 Posts: 13

2008-02-15 3:09 PM S_O_S

Single-speed Bikes

Started by MikeTheBear
Views: 1330 Posts: 8

2007-02-03 2:05 PM MikeTheBear

Single speed, rigid frame and running...what gives???

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 660 Posts: 5

2006-03-22 4:01 PM paragon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : July 2, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Although a computrainer can be a great asset to any athlete, it’s not the only way to improve your pedal stroke. I’ll list a number of pedaling drills below and how you can incorporate them.