General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tri Newbie! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-28 4:27 PM

User image

Subject: Tri Newbie!
Hi everyone! I've officially decided to dive headfirst into this and i'm loving it!

I want to get healthier. I want to lose some weight. I want endurance. I want to just be in better shape overall. I'm motivated but without a real goal I tend to lose focus on something to train for. The Tri really appeals to me as a way to do this!

I'm really aiming to be able to do an Oly next summer with the occasional sprint for good measure. If I really focus - I can do it! The ultimate goal is a 70.3 in 2017. I have an indoor tri scheduled for January to get my feet wet and i'll go from there. I'm already seeing improvement without a real training plan, just trying to swim 2x a week, bike 2x, and run 2x at a minimum. I've gone from being able to do 3 miles on the bike trainer to doing about 17. Next week I start a sprint training program before jumping to the old training and i'm excited to see what progress that will make.

So far I'm thrilled to be a part of such a welcoming, encouraging community!

2015-11-29 9:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Tri Newbie!

Welcome to BT and congrats on signing up for your first event.  In tracking your progress BT has a really good Training Log to keep track of your workouts.  I find reading race reports are inspirational and educational.  I also recommend volunteering at race events to learn more about triathlons and to meet other likeminded people.

It is a good idea to follow a training plan maybe starting after the New Year and don't be afraid to take regular rest days as well.  Don't be afraid to ask questions most people are helpful.  After the New Year they may open up Mentor Groups again and it is a good way to get some good advice and get to know a good group of people in the group you choose.

Have fun with your training and don't worry if you start getting cold feet about racing.  It goes away as soon as your race starts.

Edited by wenceslasz 2015-11-29 9:41 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tri Newbie! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Newbie

Started by biker_chic
Views: 923 Posts: 9

2006-09-12 6:42 PM biker_chic

NC Tri Newbie

Started by NCTriNewbie
Views: 1002 Posts: 8

2006-01-17 9:07 PM NCTriNewbie

Tri newbie

Started by Stevarino
Views: 814 Posts: 4

2004-10-27 12:05 AM c2fd

TRI Newbie in New Orleans

Started by Cavu9
Views: 918 Posts: 7

2004-08-06 4:37 PM usarocks

Tri-Newbie Ruby

Started by ruby25
Views: 1660 Posts: 8

2003-09-29 4:46 PM ruby25
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2015
author : BradSeng
comments : 0
While running, I've been really struggling to keep my heart rate down in the zone 2-3 range as frequently prescribed in the plan. This seems too slow?

date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!