General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off road riding/Mountain Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-29 4:57 PM

User image

Subject: Off road riding/Mountain Bike
Considering buying a Mountain bike, any input as to type/make would be awesome! I'm looking to mostly bomb around trails/State Forest with Lab puppy but want to be able to go over rocks, roots, hills etc... while getting a good workout too. Its an investment for sure and would like to do off road duathlons too. Probably 500$ range
I know I want a WSD with disc brakes, front or full suspension, light weight aluminum. Input appreciated!!

2015-11-29 5:01 PM
in reply to: joyct32

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: Off road riding/Mountain Bike
Look for used bike... 500 does not buy much new.
2015-11-29 6:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

That price range, you could find a decent hard tail that will be fun to ride, especially if you look around used. Odds are you won't find a full suspension in that price range with decent components. A hard tail will also be better for racing if you're looking to do an off road duathlon as you don't lose as much power to the rear suspension. One of my newer bikes is a trek x-cal 9 and i love it but is above that price range, but if you look to lower x-cal 7 or so, you start to get closer to what your price you're looking for and would be a great frame you won't be able to wreck (I've had fantastic experiences with Trek bikes surviving everything I try to kill them with) especially if you can find a year or two older and used. Only thing would be that you give up the front shock being an air shock if you look below probably $800-900 new which I prefer in terms of ride and durability long term over life but if you ride it, and it feels good, it'll do the job you're looking for. Entry level trek hardtail, think its called the Marlin, might also be a place you look. It'll do what you want and again bring a lot of good backing from Trek that should last you. At the end of the day, that's really all you want anyways from a bike - comfort and durability. I have a 1992 Trek Antelope that's older than me that I've built back up and have a blast riding - no front or rear shocks, definitely makes you smarter about how you ride!

Good luck, and have fun! I come actually with much more background in mountain biking then I do in road biking. Always a fun adventure to have

Edited by casey21 2015-11-29 6:02 PM
2015-11-30 5:27 PM

User image

Thanks for the input, budget for sure limits me. I love my Trek road bike and Tri bike so am partial to that brand. Struggling between trying to find used higher end bike or buy new with possible lower quality components etc.. Not having luck with finding a WSD used bike of the caliber I prefer.
2015-12-01 6:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I wouldnt get too stuck on WSD- in some cases the bike geometry is the same but they slap a WSD label on it because of pink graphics, taller seat post and shorter stem. Either with a WSD bike or not you might need to swap out some of those components to get a good fit.

I would look for a used hardtail 26'er given your price range
2015-12-01 8:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Second the above - I've never found the need to ride a WSD, haven't ever really found a difference as long as you make sure the bike fits. Only thing I've found I prefer is switching out the saddle to a women specific design but that's about it. Reach for legs and arms can still be fitted well on a regular bike.

Also, definitely feel you on budget. After getting the new mountain bike this summer, by the time my friends convinced me into doing some road cycling with them, definitely limited in what I was looking at. Ended up super lucky on ebay after looking forever

Edited by casey21 2015-12-01 8:52 PM

2015-12-12 4:46 AM

I thought this post is about another MTB triathlon event..
Anyway, I am surprised (pleasantly) by the cheapness of new MTBs these days when I bought an unexpectedly nice bike for around $500 in 2007. It is aSpecialized HRXC. This bike is certainly capable of trail riding and its plastic components are upgradeable and more durable than they look. It is front suspension only and old style linear pull brakes. The real drawback on this bike is the wheels and the use of rubber tubing instead of rim tape, and the Schrader valves. It uses some Shimano SRAM clone grip shifters which I don't like but there are fans.

However, the bike is only one component. You'll probably need new shoes. If you can't use your road pedals, then you need that too. The can be $200, will it come out of your bike budget?

BTW I have no love for this Specialized, it was just a cheap bike that surprised me. I needed a bike to tow a bike trailer that won't fit my Klein's fat chain stay, and I never showed it any love. However, in its 8 year life, its been thru 3 trailers and 2 light trail rides, and got flipped over 2x by uncaring friends, and with zero maintenance, I don't even lube its chain. It still rides. Not very well, but still goes. Just to show you how tough MTBs are built to.
2015-12-12 8:06 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by DaveL
I wouldnt get too stuck on WSD- in some cases the bike geometry is the same but they slap a WSD label on it because of pink graphics, taller seat post and shorter stem.

The above statement is not always true… You could categorize bike brands into 3 approaches to Women Specific bikes… The first ones are exactly what is described above, nothing more than a standard geometry, standard carbon lay-up, different graphics and changing out some components (stem, handlebars, saddle and commonly crank and gearing); voila, you have a WSD. Second one is the approach of Cervelo, you basically build you smaller frames to fit lighter riders and as the size increased, the layup varies get progressive geared towards heavier riders; so no WSD offered per se. The third one is the what Trek, Orbea (and a few others) represents, you design the WSD from ground up, so geometry is unique, carbon layup is unique (a lighter rider on a frame designed for a heavier rider tend to be overly harsh and stiff, by altering the layup you can make the frame stiff in certain locations/planes, but forgiving where you want it to be), then add components to fit the target market.

With a limited budget, it may be difficult to find a true WSD that offers good value… You might be better finding a frame that fits with good, well-maintained components and by doing so maximizing the value you're getting.
2015-12-14 4:50 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Veteran
Denver area
I just did a bunch of MTB research and shopping this summer. You need to get out and test ride a bunch of bikes and options to see what you're most comfortable on (ie hard tail, full suspension, wheel size (26, 27.5, 29).

For $500, you'll probably only be able to get a hard tail 26'er. Those are the most common.

Being able to find a used women's (or something with a 16" frame) 29'er was hard, and a used 27.5 was impossible. (I live in Colorado) I ended up sucking it up and buying a new full suspension 27.5. Why? because that's the bike that gave me the most confidence on what I was wanting to ride. I had an old hard tail 26'er and it was really hard to go over obstacles (and a few other things). Test riding the FS 27.5 told me that, in order to ride safely and with confidence, I needed to upgrade. Thank goodness for a great sale and financing deal at the bike store. I ended up getting a Liv Lust 3 for $1850, which for a new FS bike, was a great price.
2015-12-14 5:27 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by audiojan

Originally posted by DaveL
I wouldnt get too stuck on WSD- in some cases the bike geometry is the same but they slap a WSD label on it because of pink graphics, taller seat post and shorter stem.

The above statement is not always true… You could categorize bike brands into 3 approaches to Women Specific bikes… The first ones are exactly what is described above, nothing more than a standard geometry, standard carbon lay-up, different graphics and changing out some components (stem, handlebars, saddle and commonly crank and gearing); voila, you have a WSD. Second one is the approach of Cervelo, you basically build you smaller frames to fit lighter riders and as the size increased, the layup varies get progressive geared towards heavier riders; so no WSD offered per se. The third one is the what Trek, Orbea (and a few others) represents, you design the WSD from ground up, so geometry is unique, carbon layup is unique (a lighter rider on a frame designed for a heavier rider tend to be overly harsh and stiff, by altering the layup you can make the frame stiff in certain locations/planes, but forgiving where you want it to be), then add components to fit the target market.

With a limited budget, it may be difficult to find a true WSD that offers good value… You might be better finding a frame that fits with good, well-maintained components and by doing so maximizing the value you're getting.

I guess you skipped over the part where I said "in some cases".
2015-12-14 6:00 PM

User image

Appreciate the input all, It would be difficult to really "test ride" any unless I find some willing people on theirs while I too am in the woods. I think I will take a wait and see what January brings for sales and in the used market. I'm not against a men's or unspecified bike but I have 2 WSD bikes (1 rd, 1 tri) and they work for me. I'm a medium build middle age woman with back issues that stays in the saddle for hrs. My budget ultimately will dictate what I end up with, but prior research and knowledge will help me out

2015-12-15 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver area
It would be extremely worthwhile to head into town (call ahead to a LBS and set up a test ride appointment, to make sure they have loads of options for you to ride). MTBs ride *very* different from road or TT bikes, especially when it comes to handling. And hardtail vs FS vs 26er vs 27.5 vs 29er also handle very differently. Test riding a variety will help you narrow your search.
2015-12-15 8:32 PM
in reply to: mountain_erin

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

First, I would really recommend trying to ride a few bikes somewhere, just to see how they feel and what you like. It's worth a trip to an LBS, or a visit to a demo day (most bike manufacturers will schedule demo days where you can try out a lot of bikes for free). A hardtail rides very differently than a full suspension, and the different wheel sizes feel different as well. 29er is generally faster but harder to maneuver, 26 is easy to maneuver but harder to keep up to speed (and quickly becoming obsolete), 27.5 is supposed to be the best of both, but YMMV depending on where you want to ride. I love my 27.5, some friends love their 29ers.

Second, if your budget is a hard $500, I would REALLY recommend trying to find a good used bike. Mountain biking is a sport where a bad bike can make things pretty unpleasant pretty quick. I've seen a lot of guys on $5000 bikes haul their girlfriend out on the trail on a 1992 Trek or a Walmart special, and never get her out there again. Frame geometry and suspension design are what you are paying for in a mountain bike, and they make a huge difference in bike handling. If you can find a 1-3 year old bike that has been lightly used, it will likely be a better ride than something that costs $500 new. Spend a few weeks watching Craigslist and Pinkbike - see what's out there in your size. When I got into mountain biking I found a Giant Anthem women's bike for $800 on Craigslist. I rode it into the ground, but it was a fantastic bike for what I paid, and I'm VERY glad I got a better bike used, rather than buying a cheap new bike. Under $1000, you're not getting an air shock (mentioned by someone above), you're getting a crazy heavy frame which makes riding up hills unfun, and your brakes are going to be a pain in the butt. If you're not planning to ride a ton of technical terrain (rock gardens, etc), a hardtail will save you weight and money for sure. 

I also caution you not to get too stuck on WSD, as in doing so you're seriously limiting the number of good bikes available to you. In mountain biking, this *does* often mean same frame geometry as a men's bike, with different paint or contact points (grips, saddle). Not always, of course, but in many cases (Giant's Liv line is a good exception - they are designed for women, and they have done a great job at it). Don't quote me on it, but I believe that Trek's 2016 women's bikes are now using the same frames as the men's as well. Yeti and Santa Cruz sell extremely expensive women's bikes (Yeti Beti and Juliana) that use the same frame as the men's bikes. I spent a buttload of money on a "men's" bike a few months ago, and it fits me like a glove. I rode a lot of WSD bikes that just weren't designed well, and frame geometry is everything to me in a mountain bike.

2015-12-15 8:35 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Originally posted by joyct32 Appreciate the input all, It would be difficult to really "test ride" any unless I find some willing people on theirs while I too am in the woods. I think I will take a wait and see what January brings for sales and in the used market. I'm not against a men's or unspecified bike but I have 2 WSD bikes (1 rd, 1 tri) and they work for me. I'm a medium build middle age woman with back issues that stays in the saddle for hrs. My budget ultimately will dictate what I end up with, but prior research and knowledge will help me out

If you have back issues, this might be another reason to look into trying a find a decent used full suspension. Much easier on the back than a hardtail, but it would be hard to find a decent full suspension new for under $1000.

2016-01-28 11:51 AM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

My wife rides a mountain bike about 12 times a year. 2 local tri sprints and a little training. She rides a Giant ATX 27.5 $460 on Giants website. Obviously an entry level bike with entry level components. But, it has never broken down, it gets her around anywhere she wants and/or is capable of going. My son has used it to bomb hills and jump. He's 13 and rides it like a $2000 jumper. HAHA

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off road riding/Mountain Bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

road bike vs. mountain bike times

Started by turnipgirl
Views: 720 Posts: 2

2009-06-01 12:48 PM trix

Shimano PD M540 - Road bike or off road?

Started by Cajun
Views: 1351 Posts: 2

2006-09-02 1:08 PM sappho96

Road bike or mountain bike for a newbie?

Started by zslavins
Views: 1122 Posts: 5

2005-05-12 4:49 PM Cmikul

Mountain Bike vs Road Bike

Started by slow&steady
Views: 899 Posts: 3

2005-02-09 9:35 PM slow&steady

mountain bike versus road bike

Started by snoopy
Views: 1755 Posts: 14

2004-11-22 4:30 PM lifesgreat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : January 8, 2010
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.