General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Master's swim Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2015-12-04 8:15 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: Master's swim Question
So the only place around me with 6 lane pools are YMCA's. I joined La fitness years ago as they have better facilities at a much lower membership fee but only a 3 lane pool.
So a friend of mine with the aquatics director of the Y has started a Master's team, however the cost for none members seems to be outrageously high.

what do others here pay to be on a masters team:
this one is running for 4 months
Family Y members pay $150
Single Y members pay $160 ( which is wrong- why they force single member to pay more)
non-member pay $10 per visit

2015-12-04 8:37 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Master's swim Question
When I was in Key Largo, I paid $50/month for the masters program. This cost covered everything so I didn't need a membership to the aquatics center on top of it, however, I could only go to the aquatics center during the masters swim workout time, if I went other times, I had to pay.

Here in Houston, I am a member of Lifetime Fitness. The cost is $120/month but we have a family membership at $220/month for my wife and three kids. The location near my office has a masters program at no additional cost which is the one I swim with. They have a good coach and two ex div I swimmers on the team so it gives me a really good push. The location near my house charges an additional $30/session for the masters program. That masters "team" consists of one person (a woman that averages around 2:00/100m) and a coach which is a 20-something woman who seems like she knows what she's doing, but certainly not a guru worth paying all that extra money. Not sure why the difference between the two.
2015-12-04 8:48 AM

User image

Pineville, North Carolina
My masters program costs $60/month, plus we have to pay $49/year a US Masters Swimming membership. We swim 3 mornings each week.

The cost seems high, but I swim Masters at what I think is one of the best swim programs in the country, SwimMac in Charlotte, NC.

We have our own facility and a very popular Masters program. The people I swim with are like family, and our coaches are top notch. Our director, Dave Marsh, was just named the Head coach of the US Women's Olympic team.

If it seems like I am posting an advertisement for SwimMac, it's because they have helped my swim tremendously. I started swimming with them exactly a year ago, and my all-out 100 speed has increased from around 1:50/100scy to 1:25/100scy. I have become a big proponent of masters swimming, but I have also been lucky to stumble into a top notch program.

In comparison, the program you describe is less expensive, but if your friend's program can give you some of the same benefits I have gotten from swimming masters, I would say it is worth it.
2015-12-04 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

I pay about $600 a year for masters.  No additional fees for club memberships to swim with masters.

2015-12-04 8:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

No whining!  I paid right at $4000.00 last year for club swimming for Jr. (includes meet fees, but does not include travel)  We pay 80.00 per month to the Y for a family membership so I can swim.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-12-04 8:52 AM
2015-12-04 8:54 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
When I was looking around a few years ago many fitness clubs charged an extra $25-30 a month to be part of their masters programs. Lifetime Fitness wanted another $30 on top of the standard membership to be part of their masters group. The fitness club I joined (Prairie Life Fitness) has masters swim included in their membership which was why I chose them. Costs will vary based on where you live etc. I had a business trip to the Houston area (Katy) and I contacted the Katy masters group (via USMS swimming website) and was able to swim with them at a pool on a school campus free of charge. It was a small group so I'm sure they were happy to have some company

The club I go to does have a $8 ot $10 per visit charge for masters swimming as well.

2015-12-04 8:54 AM
in reply to: Ridgelake

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

I'll also add that a Masters program is probably the best way to improve as an adult.  As Roserc pointed out, getting with a club can make a huge difference.  I'm in the same boat.  Having an on-deck coach and fellow swimmers makes a HUGE difference.  Its almost impossible to replicate on your own.  There is next to zero chance of making similar improvement on your own.

2015-12-04 9:09 AM

Master
Northern IL

Ones I've looked at seem to be averaging $30-35/mo though some will have you pay for a block of months. Hadn't seen anything about paying extra for club/facility usage.

2015-12-04 9:10 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by reecealan

When I was looking around a few years ago many fitness clubs charged an extra $25-30 a month to be part of their masters programs. Lifetime Fitness wanted another $30 on top of the standard membership to be part of their masters group. The fitness club I joined (Prairie Life Fitness) has masters swim included in their membership which was why I chose them. Costs will vary based on where you live etc. I had a business trip to the Houston area (Katy) and I contacted the Katy masters group (via USMS swimming website) and was able to swim with them at a pool on a school campus free of charge. It was a small group so I'm sure they were happy to have some company

The club I go to does have a $8 ot $10 per visit charge for masters swimming as well.

I just moved to Katy a month ago and emailed their coach, but he never responded. Lame.
2015-12-04 9:22 AM

User image

I pay $490 (Canadian) to swim 3 days a week for 1 hour, with a coach on deck. This goes from the first Monday in September to the last Friday in June. So, $49/month. Or $3.75 per session. Now that I do the math it doesn't seem that expensive, but writing the $490 cheque each September seems like a lot.
2015-12-04 9:26 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Left Brain

No whining!  I paid right at $4000.00 last year for club swimming for Jr. (includes meet fees, but does not include travel)  We pay 80.00 per month to the Y for a family membership so I can swim.

I never add up what I spend on this sport. I think it's best just not to look.

2015-12-04 9:37 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar

I keep a record so that some day when he is working I can bill him.

2015-12-04 9:40 AM
in reply to: Ridgelake

User image

Exton, PA
I wanted to join to swim with people closer to my ability and make it a little more interesting.

We are finishing the 1st week of a 2 week free trial period. So far they have no suggestions to improve my stroke but they are not really looking at me much they are working with others. This week is my first week swimming after a 3 month hiatus, with that I am leading the fastest lane. There is an about 3 people that are a couple years out of their college swim days that are staying on my feet but no one that is willing to take the lead.
They do want me on the team because would like to do some meets and have a group that qualifies for nationals in the spring, and I could probably hit a couple qualifying times now if I tried.

LB- hush up- your son is swimming way more at a different level (that was me 30 years ago) his cost and this masters program cost should not be apples to apples. what you pay for him is what I was paying for my kids to be in their high end travel soccer teams(I feel your pain).

Looking at what most are paying this Y is really charging high.
2015-12-04 9:55 AM

Originally posted by mike761 I wanted to join to swim with people closer to my ability and make it a little more interesting. We are finishing the 1st week of a 2 week free trial period. So far they have no suggestions to improve my stroke but they are not really looking at me much they are working with others. This week is my first week swimming after a 3 month hiatus, with that I am leading the fastest lane. There is an about 3 people that are a couple years out of their college swim days that are staying on my feet but no one that is willing to take the lead. They do want me on the team because would like to do some meets and have a group that qualifies for nationals in the spring, and I could probably hit a couple qualifying times now if I tried. LB- hush up- your son is swimming way more at a different level (that was me 30 years ago) his cost and this masters program cost should not be apples to apples. what you pay for him is what I was paying for my kids to be in their high end travel soccer teams(I feel your pain). Looking at what most are paying this Y is really charging high.

FWIW, I've swum with at least 5 separate triathlon and swim-focused masters groups in Norcal and Socal, each of them for at least 6 sessions.  

Not once have I ever received real stroke advice for freestyle during masters - the only advice I received was a short "keep your head lower!" and that was it. And I'm not a fish - when I started these masters, I was around a 1:50/100yd swimmer, so plenty of room for improvement there. 

I did received stroke advice for breast, back and fly, but to be honest - I was (and still am) so terrible at all 3 that it's patently obvious even to me what I'm doing wrong (weak kick in backstroke, bad coordination in back, etc.) But freestyle is what I really want as a triathlete, and in all 4 groups, I have never ever seen anyone receive a lot of stroke correction input. There were a few real rookie swimmers that were so slow that they couldn't even do the masters workout, but they were in a separate lane with a different workotu  (well slower than 2:20+/100yd pace.)

We did do a lot of hammering though!

2015-12-04 10:10 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by 3mar

I keep a record so that some day when he is working I can bill him.

Don't wait too long or the statue of limitation will kick in :P
2015-12-04 10:24 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mike761 I wanted to join to swim with people closer to my ability and make it a little more interesting. We are finishing the 1st week of a 2 week free trial period. So far they have no suggestions to improve my stroke but they are not really looking at me much they are working with others. This week is my first week swimming after a 3 month hiatus, with that I am leading the fastest lane. There is an about 3 people that are a couple years out of their college swim days that are staying on my feet but no one that is willing to take the lead. They do want me on the team because would like to do some meets and have a group that qualifies for nationals in the spring, and I could probably hit a couple qualifying times now if I tried. LB- hush up- your son is swimming way more at a different level (that was me 30 years ago) his cost and this masters program cost should not be apples to apples. what you pay for him is what I was paying for my kids to be in their high end travel soccer teams(I feel your pain). Looking at what most are paying this Y is really charging high.

Yeah, your Y prices seem REALLY high. 

2015-12-04 10:31 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

You are probably too far away, but I swim at the Rocky Run Y (or did when I was swimming) and they have a masters 'group' with no added cost.  There was no 'team' per se and no official affiliation with USMS.  Just a group of people with a 'coach' on deck to arrange workouts and provide some feedback.  There was also a guy there who would run workouts on his own.  That's who I would swim with.  More 'aggressive' work-outs and there were usually a few ex-college swimmers that would work with him too--I was NOT in their lane.  Also no extra cost on top of regular membership.  As I haven't swam in almost a year, I can't say whether he is still there or not.

2015-12-04 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
$50/month. 5 AM sessions/wk
2015-12-04 10:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

$7 for drop in or a block of 10 for $55.

Plus US masters swimming membership maybe another $40 ? / yr

ETA - the Y's around us are getting ridiculously expensive.  I just got another letter this week they're raising the rates again.  FWIW the one I belong to completely mismanages the pool so I kind of have an axe to grind.

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2015-12-04 10:46 AM
2015-12-04 10:46 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Masters program here is $30 a month on top of the required YMCA membership ($90 initiation +$49/month). That's for two coached workouts a week plus a 3rd "Do It Yourself" workout delivered via email.
2015-12-04 1:12 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Originally posted by yazmaster

FWIW, I've swum with at least 5 separate triathlon and swim-focused masters groups in Norcal and Socal, each of them for at least 6 sessions.  

Not once have I ever received real stroke advice for freestyle during masters - the only advice I received was a short "keep your head lower!" and that was it. And I'm not a fish - when I started these masters, I was around a 1:50/100yd swimmer, so plenty of room for improvement there. 

I did received stroke advice for breast, back and fly, but to be honest - I was (and still am) so terrible at all 3 that it's patently obvious even to me what I'm doing wrong (weak kick in backstroke, bad coordination in back, etc.) But freestyle is what I really want as a triathlete, and in all 4 groups, I have never ever seen anyone receive a lot of stroke correction input. There were a few real rookie swimmers that were so slow that they couldn't even do the masters workout, but they were in a separate lane with a different workotu  (well slower than 2:20+/100yd pace.)

We did do a lot of hammering though!

I'm surprised by that.  I've swum at two clubs locally and have gotten a lot of technique suggestions.  I also visited a club earlier this year and the coach there pointed out a few stroke potential changes.  The local technique work took me from a beginner swimmer to a USMS Nationals competitive swimmer.  The visited club coach was after competing at Nationals.

So I think the club and coach make a very big difference as to how much instruction you'll get.  I've always thought it made sense to try different clubs (if available) to see what fits best.

2015-12-04 1:33 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

The National Office for US Masters Swimming just happens to be here in Sarasota and we're definitely spoiled when it comes to masters opportunities:

I pay $50/ month for my masters team, the Sarasota Tsunami, plus the USMS annual dues.  We have a $7 drop in fee.  If you want to swim on your own, the facility charges $4/day for open lap swimming ($2/day for seniors + 55).

We swim at Arlington Aquatic Center, which is run by the county with a 50M x 25yd competition pool and a separate 25yd "training" pool, mostly used for senior fitness classes.  The masters & youth teams share the competition pool in the mornings with organized workouts Mon-Sat. from 6:00AM - 7:45AM.  

Head coach for the Tsunami program is Ira Klein who has coached seven Olympians (with another one qualified to go to the trials next year).  

Our masters coach is four-time Olympian & author Sheila Taormina, who moved to Sarasota earlier this year.  Ira and Sheila go way back.  He helped coach her back when she was training for the Olympics in Colorado Springs.   Sheila travels occasionally to do out-of-town clinics and speaking engagements, but actively coaches from the deck (i.e., kicks our butts) when she's in town. 

The big team in town are the Sarasota YMCA Sharks, who are one of the top competitive masters teams in the country, with about 300 members.  The Sharks have numerous age group national and world record holders and the team finished second at the Nationals this summer.  They've got a beautiful 75 yd x 25 yd Myrtha "stretch" pool with movable bulkheads and a separate 25yd 6-lane warm-up pool / diving tank.  They charge $62/month for non-Y-members and $45/month  for Y-members, with a $5 drop-in fee.  

Mark

2015-12-04 2:34 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

My gym is $98/.month for myself and my daughter, who swims on their swim team (won't go into that cost...not quite LB Jr., but I feel your pain...).  For Masters it's either $35/month or a block of 20 for $70.  We have 2 90-minute and 3 120-minute practices available.  An extra bonus is that most of the swimmers are open water distance swimmers (10ks and the like), so the training is geared more towards that.

2015-12-04 2:43 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

My gym is $98/.month for myself and my daughter, who swims on their swim team (won't go into that cost...not quite LB Jr., but I feel your pain...).  For Masters it's either $35/month or a block of 20 for $70.  We have 2 90-minute and 3 120-minute practices available.  An extra bonus is that most of the swimmers are open water distance swimmers (10ks and the like), so the training is geared more towards that.

Do not despair.......the faster she gets the more it will cost.  I think it's some kind of inversion swim formula where they eventually get every penny from you.

2015-12-04 5:42 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think attention to technique really varies with the program and sometimes with the workout and who is coaching (if there are multiple coaches). I know when I was helping coach our school team, the coach would have me focus mostly on "conditioning" and she would work on "technique", since I don't have a formal coaching qualification or know the teaching progression for all the strokes. I just got to teach butterfly!

I've been in masters' programs with two different coaches here in Saigon, and with one, we did almost no technique work on any stroke, even though it was quite a small group. He almost never had me swimming other strokes, and said he didn't think it was appropriate for anyone over 40 to do fly in a workout (???). But he did kick my butt with a lot of distance sets. The next masters' coach, who had worked with kids at a pretty high level in California before following his love to Vietnam, DID do a lot with technique (mainly on free for the triathletes, but he helped me with others if I asked) as well as conditioning. As for our summer masters' program in Oregon, there are 30-50 people at most sessions, and I find the coach spends most of the time working with the people in the slow lane on technique. In reality, while pretty much everyone in the fastest lane has decent technique, there are plenty of people in the middle lanes who could really use some help--often they are long-time swimmers or triathletes who can muscle their way through a workout in the 1:30-1:50/100m range because their aerobic fitness is high, but they are wasting considerable energy. (I say "they", but I may well be one of them, at least when it comes to sprinting!) Some of the people in the slow lane actually have better technique, but they might be held back by poor general fitness, obesity, other health issues, or just old age. But there is no systematic technique work at most practices. The coach will give you specific feedback if you ask, but to get intensive help, swimmers need to schedule one-on-one or small group sessions with her for an extra charge.

As I recall, fees are about $50 a month, plus the USMS membership, for any workouts you want to attend. It's at a variety of public pools (depends on season and day of week) not the Y.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Master's swim Question Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

Masters Swimming Questions

Started by kmfioc
Views: 1547 Posts: 14

2013-01-24 12:27 PM MFConlon

masters swim questions

Started by cmp234
Views: 977 Posts: 4

2012-08-17 4:53 PM Tri Fit

Masters Swim question/help

Started by scm724
Views: 734 Posts: 8

2011-04-18 12:16 PM mandsberry

Masters swimming question

Started by surfwallace
Views: 557 Posts: 5

2009-07-27 1:30 PM shad01

Masters swim question

Started by p4406
Views: 950 Posts: 9

2005-05-15 11:19 AM grifs
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : September 22, 2008
author : Courage
comments : 1
Four Master's Class athletes ride and race like eight year olds in the backyard.
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : October 11, 2007
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : November 28, 2004
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!
date : August 31, 2004
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.

date : August 31, 2004
Most of us in the triathlon world are concerned with more than just fat burning. There are certain situations when it’s appropriate to use fins during a workout.