General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero bar with/without di2 shifters? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-12-08 1:03 PM

Subject: Aero bar with/without di2 shifters?
I opted to buy a road bike for my training/riding and would like to get aero bars. I have dura-ace Di2 components and know that I could have integrated shifters in the aero bars. However I have also heard that they are quite pricey. Wondering what people have for suggestions on how you figure out sizing and adjustability, brand and if you can or suggest getting aero bars without shifters to save money. Or if it is a must-have to get the shifters on the aero bars?

2015-12-08 1:13 PM
in reply to: kctkd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Aero bar with/without di2 shifters?
Originally posted by kctkd

I opted to buy a road bike for my training/riding and would like to get aero bars. I have dura-ace Di2 components and know that I could have integrated shifters in the aero bars. However I have also heard that they are quite pricey. Wondering what people have for suggestions on how you figure out sizing and adjustability, brand and if you can or suggest getting aero bars without shifters to save money. Or if it is a must-have to get the shifters on the aero bars?

Do you have 10 or 11 speed ?

If I understand correctly, you currently have DA DI2 brake/levers on your road bike and you are thinking of additional shifters at the end of the aerobars you will be adding ?

If so, you have to make sure the DI2 junction box (A) allows for the extra shifters. I believe there is a 3 port and a 5 port version. Not 100% sure. I am in the process of gathering the parts to upgrade from 10speed DI2 to 11 speed. I should be a DI2 expert in a week :-)
2015-12-08 1:39 PM
in reply to: marcag

I have an 11 speed. The person that owned it before me had aero bars with di2 shifters but not sure how much more he had to add to make it happen. Originally he gave me the impression it would be in the neighborhood of $500 to add the aero and di2 shifters. Although if he still has a used pair he might give me a good deal.
2015-12-12 7:58 AM
in reply to: kctkd

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Personally, I would add bar end shifters if you can swing the cost. It's one of the major benefits of di2, the ability to shift from both positions. If you pay full retail, then you might get close to the $500, but if you don't mind spending a bit of time searching online, you can easily do this for less than $350… Expect to pay about $220-250 for the D/A di2 bar end shifters and about $75-85 for the 5-port junction box. Plus you will probably need to replace the bar tape (which is cheap, but no reason to re-use the tape when you take it off… clean, new tape looks so much nicer).
2015-12-17 7:15 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
I just did this to my bike it was super easy to do. I went with the 5 port junction box so that if I wanted to pull off the bars it would be easier but you don't have to go that route. You can wire the shifters directly to a port on the hoods. The shifters, aerobars, and tape are all you need. I like it so much I'm selling my Tri bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero bar with/without di2 shifters? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Shifters on bar end AND base bar?

Started by reecealan
Views: 1683 Posts: 4

2015-03-11 12:22 PM morey000

Non indexed aero bar shifter

Started by haight2
Views: 553 Posts: 1

2015-02-01 3:08 PM haight2

aero bar brake levers and bar end shifters

Started by AtlantaBill
Views: 2202 Posts: 5

2016-06-05 10:24 AM russm0814

Aerolite Aero bars and bar end shifters

Started by GaryRM
Views: 685 Posts: 1

2009-04-23 1:12 PM GaryRM

FIRST POST INTRO and aero bar setup/bar end brake and shifter questions

Started by TRI-ing soldier
Views: 3060 Posts: 5

2009-01-02 12:46 PM caelric
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?

date : June 29, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on Ironman swim training without a pool and race pacing.
date : August 7, 2009
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : May 25, 2009
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?
date : June 11, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 3
A brief history on aero bar evolution with a review on the bars that I own and love.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
You can spend a small fortune on these pre-wrapped bundles of energy, thinking they offer magic ingredients-not true. “Energy” simply means “provides calories” and not “will make you feel energetic."

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.