General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2016-08-08 12:02 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
Yeah will be my first race since my wife and I having 2 kids. The time just isn't there. No matter what number race this is for me, goal one is to get there healthy, goal 2 is to finish. I know I will finish, and so will you! I have a mini vacation coming up in a few weekends where I will be able to get a good open water and run in. I'm hoping to get 2-3 4 hour rides in before hand.

2016-08-12 9:25 AM
in reply to: deboerkj

User image

Has everyone watched the 4 Key videos from Endurance Nation on You Tube? Hopefully the discussion regarding heat won't apply as this was from back when it was a summer race, but the overall strategy is still solid. Also, the course preview on there is incredibly helpful. I was worried about the hills but after watching the video with the % grade overlay I'm not nearly as concerned. It sounds like what I ride on a daily basis in MI. I was tired of Netflix and had it on during a trainer ride along with some music earlier this week and enjoyed it.

Here are the links... recommended viewing for everyone except those in the 35-39 age group.

Course Preview
https://youtu.be/JoYt3BGnzIU

Endurance Nation 4 Keys
https://youtu.be/q-U-Uc0BFyc
2016-08-15 9:04 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Toefuzz

Has everyone watched the 4 Key videos from Endurance Nation on You Tube? Hopefully the discussion regarding heat won't apply as this was from back when it was a summer race, but the overall strategy is still solid. Also, the course preview on there is incredibly helpful. I was worried about the hills but after watching the video with the % grade overlay I'm not nearly as concerned. It sounds like what I ride on a daily basis in MI. I was tired of Netflix and had it on during a trainer ride along with some music earlier this week and enjoyed it.

Here are the links... recommended viewing for everyone except those in the 35-39 age group.

Course Preview

Endurance Nation 4 Keys

Good series. Thanks for sharing.
2016-08-16 2:07 AM
in reply to: FF Stock

Hey All. Just wanted to pop in and say Hi. I am signed up for IMLOU and it will be my first Ironman!

I'm no stranger to distance events but this will be my first 140.6. Prior to June this year I had never done a tri before. I did an Olympic in June in 2:30, and a 70.3 yesterday in 7:57. Yesterday was super humid and my nutrition was not digesting on the bike which lead to major cramping. I had to run walk the run portion but I managed to push through. Hoping for a smoother race in Louisville.

One of my main questions is regarding weather. I read earlier the weather at race start can be around 45 degrees and mid day 75. At night are we looking at colder weather as well? I have long finger gloves for the bike and compression leggings for the run for cold weather and wanted to know if I should wear those.

Thanks again! and Good Luck to all the other first-timers!
2016-08-16 2:08 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

Originally posted by Toefuzz

Course Preview

Endurance Nation 4 Keys

These are great thanks!
2016-08-16 7:41 AM
in reply to: bfaridnia

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Originally posted by bfaridnia

Hey All. Just wanted to pop in and say Hi. I am signed up for IMLOU and it will be my first Ironman!

I'm no stranger to distance events but this will be my first 140.6. Prior to June this year I had never done a tri before. I did an Olympic in June in 2:30, and a 70.3 yesterday in 7:57. Yesterday was super humid and my nutrition was not digesting on the bike which lead to major cramping. I had to run walk the run portion but I managed to push through. Hoping for a smoother race in Louisville.

One of my main questions is regarding weather. I read earlier the weather at race start can be around 45 degrees and mid day 75. At night are we looking at colder weather as well? I have long finger gloves for the bike and compression leggings for the run for cold weather and wanted to know if I should wear those.

Thanks again! and Good Luck to all the other first-timers!

I'm coming from Michigan and in Oct. the mornings do get cool. From what experienced, is that the morning will be cool, so I will be bringing a sweatshirt/longsleeve with me down to the swim start. After that I will probably wear a cycling jersey on the bike and a tri top for the run.

You have 6 good weeks to hone your nutrition, so I would do some eating/working out on the cycling to make sure you have the food you need to digest.

2016-08-22 6:39 PM

Thanks! I upped my sodium intake and cut the calories down closer to 300 and this past weekend ran one of my fastest Half-marathons at 2:03. This time no cramping, no loss of energy and no burps!

Working on honing on the longer rides as we get closer to race day.

I'm very excited!

Would people recommend doing the practice swim on Saturday? My friend who did it last year decided not to as she didnt think her wetsuit would be dry by Sunday morning.... But i'd love to get in and get a feel for the water (current or lack thereof)
2016-08-23 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
46 days until the race! I just ordered a new sports drink powder to give it a whirl for a few long runs to see how my GI behaves with it. My local high school where I do my swimming closed for the next month due to HS swim practice so I'm changing swim venues. Not optimal, but as long as I can hit the pool a few times a week and maybe 2-3 more open water work outs I should be good.

Last week I was getting excited, this week I'm feeling like I'm over it (the training) and want to get on with it. Oh the ebbs and flows of IM training emotions.
2016-08-24 7:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Question for you all: What is your "secret" items that you put in your race bags/special needs bags?

Personally, my favorite thing that I have that most people don't think of is Wet Wipes for the face and Gum. It helps me feel refreshed and helps cleans the mouth after all the food/sports drinks.
2016-08-24 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by deboerkj

Question for you all: What is your "secret" items that you put in your race bags/special needs bags?

Personally, my favorite thing that I have that most people don't think of is Wet Wipes for the face and Gum. It helps me feel refreshed and helps cleans the mouth after all the food/sports drinks.

I have no secretes, but I love the idea of gum. After a while my teeth feel like they have fuzz on them. I will try it with the half I do in a couple of weeks and it may become a regular race item.
2016-08-24 10:02 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Originally posted by JBacarella

I have no secretes, but I love the idea of gum. After a while my teeth feel like they have fuzz on them. I will try it with the half I do in a couple of weeks and it may become a regular race item.

Yeah the fuzzy feeling/bad taste gets old. Goodluck!

2016-08-25 6:55 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by deboerkj Question for you all: What is your "secret" items that you put in your race bags/special needs bags? Personally, my favorite thing that I have that most people don't think of is Wet Wipes for the face and Gum. It helps me feel refreshed and helps cleans the mouth after all the food/sports drinks.

1-Tossable toothbrush in T2 for that icky sweater coated tooth feeling

2-I do wet wipes or a wet face cloth in a zip lock in T2 to get the outer grime off

3-T1 uncrustable

4-My BEST tip for T1 and T2 bags is to put everything in big zip lock bags so if it rains then everything stays dry.  I have a MUST HAVE and a MIGHT NEED bag, plus if a volunteer dumps your stuff on the ground it doesn't scatter

5-I have snack size ziplock with Tums, bandaids, kineseo tape strips, tylenol and electrolyte tablets.  Fits in my tri top back pocket.  I also put TUMS in my bento box

6-Run SN...my coach says have something to look forward to, doesn't matter what it is, some food, a picture whatever.  I Usually have a diet coke packed in ice, and some food treat I think I might like.  If it is a race it might get cold at I have a wind breaker in there too

I don't typically stop for bike SN but have an extra tube and CO2 cartridge in there just in case

2016-08-25 7:08 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Veteran
Berkley
That is a great list! Use those ziplocks. Also, when you tie your SN bags, assuming you want to keep the bag or contents, use bows and not knots. Makes it easier to open.

Also, a cheap way to keep things cool if you have one laying around is to use one of those bubble wrap envelops for mailing. Those hold in the coolness pretty well.

I suggest making a list. This is something I made for my IMFL. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VJm2dDRJbL4dDXNU9dvHTV-AKInfsbCK...
2016-08-28 5:18 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

does anyone know if this is wetsuit legal now that they moved it to October? Thanks

2016-08-29 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Socks

does anyone know if this is wetsuit legal now that they moved it to October? Thanks

It should be wetsuit legal. It has been since the change to October. Unless there is a freakishly hot October (not trying to give us something new to worry about).
2016-08-29 9:42 AM

User image

Expert

That is a great list! Use those ziplocks. Also, when you tie your SN bags, assuming you want to keep the bag or contents, use bows and not knots. Makes it easier to open.

Also, a cheap way to keep things cool if you have one laying around is to use one of those bubble wrap envelops for mailing. Those hold in the coolness pretty well.

I suggest making a list. This is something I made for my IMFL. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VJm2dDRJbL4dDXNU9dvHTV-AKInfsbCK...

Thanks for sharing the lists. I think I would fall asleep if I took an allergy pill. I do plan on taking ibuprofen before during and after the race.

2016-08-29 11:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Berkley

Thanks for sharing the lists. I think I would fall asleep if I took an allergy pill. I do plan on taking ibuprofen before during and after the race.

I take a non-drowsy. When I open water swim, my nose gets all clogged by dinner time, so I try to stay on top of things.

Did you try gum for your race?

Edited by deboerkj 2016-08-29 11:17 AM
2016-08-29 11:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Wetsuit legal last year. Made it easily.
2016-08-29 1:02 PM

User image

Expert

I take a non-drowsy. When I open water swim, my nose gets all clogged by dinner time, so I try to stay on top of things.

Did you try gum for your race?

I will do the Tawas HIM as my last big training day before my taper on the 10th. I will try it then.
2016-08-30 7:30 PM
in reply to: FF Stock

Anyone notice they changed up the course from 2015? My friend just rode the new route and I was asking what she meant by New. Guess they got rid of the out and back section and the small lolipop loop. Merged the two some what to make an out and back to a larger loop. She advised closer to 5k ft of climbing now. More hills but I suppose safer.

Thoughts?

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/95287436a69a476bbd651e11884d4871/iml...
2016-08-31 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Actually I think removing that out & back made the total elevation gain less. I think total gain now is around 4200 feet.

2016-08-31 10:47 AM
in reply to: #5156124

I mapped it in mapmyfitness after posting and noticed the same. Came up 4,024. I'm happy with the change tho as my research of reading prior race reports, that out and back section was pretty dangerous on the decent and as you were climbing with others passing on the way down.

38 days to go!
2016-08-31 11:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Yeah it looks like the out and back is a small section now.
2016-08-31 2:37 PM

For some reason, just finding this board! Very happy to hear the out and back is gone after reading so many terrible things about it. And glad they finally posted the elevation maps again! It explains why they were gone for a while.

This is my 2nd full Ironman (did Madison in 2011) and am looking forward to it! Now if they'd only tell us they repaved River Road......
2016-09-01 8:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Man, my second half of Aug and September will be all out of whack for my swim. Tonight I'm trying yet another pool for lap swim. My main pool (local High School) was closed for renovations over the summer, which has moved to late September for completion. I then moved to the neighboring High School for swim, but got bumped out since my primary HS is behind in repairs. So now I'm off to my 3rd HS about 9 miles away (not too bad) tonight. But starting next week the lap lanes are open from 9-10:15pm, THANK GOODNESS I am more of a night owl

Edited by deboerkj 2016-09-01 8:03 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 56229 Posts: 370

2013-12-14 11:11 AM Cajuntriguy

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by vasqlartek
Views: 104929 Posts: 1070

2012-09-06 6:49 AM 7ofClubs

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by sdanaher
Views: 228040 Posts: 2778

2011-11-01 2:10 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70

Started by dlink
Views: 164843 Posts: 1740

2010-11-07 9:12 AM kdlsch111

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173194 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.

date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: