Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Ted Cruz

Originally posted by ejshowers
Originally posted by Hook'em

Originally posted by Hook'em

Cruz is very smart and has a strong machine working to get him to the White House.  A couple years ago, no one in Texas had heard of Ted Cruz.  He was the solicitor general - an appointed position in the attorney general's office that doesn't get any attention.  He decided to run for Kay Bailey Hutchinson's senate seat against a popular, well-known, and wealthy Lt. Governor, David Dewhurst.  He finished second behind Dewhurst in the primiary election.  In the run-off Cruz stomped Dewhurst by 57-43%, much to everyone's surprise (polling had Dewhurst winning all the way up to election day).

I would not be surprised if Cruz ends up being the GOP nominee.

I would strongly disagree that he has a "strong machine" working for him. He has almost NO endorsements from congress-people or governors at this point and is known to be generally disliked in the Senate.

Compare the organization of Ted Cruz with that of the front runners,  Donald Trump and Ben Carson, and you'll see he has a much deeper campaign organization (staff/volunteers in states much later in the primary season).  The only candidates with similar organizations at this point are Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio.  While endorsements by sitting politicos are important, the organization at the state and county level is what is needed to get out the vote.  He didn't have any notable endorsements in his senate race and he easily upset the candidate that did.  

If by strong machine you meant campaign organization, I will give you that as I have no knowledge of how Cruz's team compares to others. I took it to mean overall political machine, which would include the party establishment and obviously sitting congress people and governors that would publically support a candidate. You are right that endorsements are important and are a very strong predictor of presidential race success - and Cruz has like 12 versus Bush at 46, Trump at 0 and for some perspective, Hillary at 454 as of today.
Ahh Cruz, arguable the least-liked person in the Senate. From Politico: "Ted Cruz can’t even get a protest vote in the Senate anymore. On Monday night, Cruz’s colleagues ignored his attempt to disrupt Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s efforts to fund the government without attacking Planned Parenthood. In an unusual rebuke, even fellow Republicans denied him a “sufficient second” that would have allowed him a roll call vote. Then, his Republican colleagues loudly bellowed “no” when Cruz sought a voice vote, a second repudiation that showed how little support Cruz has: Just one other GOP senator — Utah’s Mike Lee — joined with Cruz as he was overruled by McConnell and his deputies. It was the second time that Cruz had been denied a procedural courtesy that’s routinely granted to senators in both parties. The first came after he called McConnell a liar this summer. ...."

I disagree, I don't think you can argue that he's not the least-liked person in the Senate.  lol

2015-12-18 8:17 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
2015-12-18 8:32 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

When I was watching the debate I thought the same thing because of the way Rubio reacted to Cruz's statements.  In the net I don't think it will make much difference unless there's a formal investigation.  Then again, we already know that the administration isn't interested in investigating the mishandling of classified information.  hehe

2015-12-18 9:47 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by tuwood

When I was watching the debate I thought the same thing because of the way Rubio reacted to Cruz's statements.  In the net I don't think it will make much difference unless there's a formal investigation.  Then again, we already know that the administration isn't interested in investigating the mishandling of classified information.  hehe

Neither did the last one.

http://www.pbs.org/weta/washingtonweek/web-video/missing-white-house-emails

2015-12-18 11:28 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by crowny2

Really? Still with the George Bush neener neener argument?
2015-12-18 11:51 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by mdg2003

Liberal logic. All things are permissible as long as you can find somebody else who did the same or worse.

2015-12-18 11:58 AM

User image

Champion

Liberal logic. All things are permissible as long as you can find somebody else who did the same or worse.

Why not.  You continue to bring up Obama in things that have absolutely nothing to do with him. Just playing your game.

2015-12-18 12:48 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Why not.  You continue to bring up Obama in things that have absolutely nothing to do with him. Just playing your game.

I don't recall trying to justify bad Republican behavior based on Obama's bad behavior.
2015-12-18 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Lucky for us, we don't need to wait for the administration to handle it. We have a congress who will dilingently work to get to the bottom of it. Even if it takes 32 hearings from 10 different committees, they will not rest.  Oh wait, now they decided they're not going to investigate Cruz. 

2015-12-18 2:36 PM

User image

Champion

I don't recall trying to justify bad Republican behavior based on Obama's bad behavior.

And I don't recall Obama having anything to do with Ted Cruz potentially giving away house secrets but it didn't stop you, once again, bringing him into a discussion that had absolutely nothing to do with him.

I believe it is called Obama Derangement Syndrome and you have got a bad case of it.

2015-12-18 3:27 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

Lucky for us, we don't need to wait for the administration to handle it. We have a congress who will dilingently work to get to the bottom of it. Even if it takes 32 hearings from 10 different committees, they will not rest.  Oh wait, now they decided they're not going to investigate Cruz. 

Lol you make a good point. Seriously is there any part of our government that's doing what it's supposed to?

2015-12-18 3:30 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

And I don't recall Obama having anything to do with Ted Cruz potentially giving away house secrets but it didn't stop you, once again, bringing him into a discussion that had absolutely nothing to do with him.

I believe it is called Obama Derangement Syndrome and you have got a bad case of it.

He is deranged alright. Obama controls the justice department. He has proven over and over again that they selectively investigate and charge based on politics. Who else would investigate and bring up charges?
2015-12-18 3:50 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I know you are, but what am I?

Fixed it for you.
2015-12-18 6:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tejas
Uh oh, moderator editing. He's going to make us all sound silly... er.

Edited by mdg2003 2015-12-18 6:06 PM
2015-12-18 9:40 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro

I had no idea jmk was a moderator.......we're all screwed. 

2015-12-18 10:34 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by Left Brain

He's been doing it forever. I actually love Obama but he keeps changing my posts so they look like I don't.

2015-12-18 10:48 PM

User image

Pro

He's been doing it forever. I actually love Obama but he keeps changing my posts so they look like I don't.

bwaaaahahahahaha!!!!!!!  He got you jmk.

2015-12-19 9:31 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

It's not even true. I mostly just try to pare down all of Tony's obscenities. It's a full-time job, even for PCOJ.
2015-12-19 11:42 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

It's not even true. I mostly just try to pare down all of Tony's obscenities. It's a full-time job, even for PCOJ.

In my defense, I was in the Navy for 6 years

2016-01-14 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Ted Cruz, anti-establishment hypocrite in bed with Wall Street...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cruz-unreported-1-million-bank-044000...

I didn't know his wife is a Managing Director at Goldman Sachs either.

Beginning of the end for him?
2016-01-14 10:35 AM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ejshowers Ted Cruz, anti-establishment hypocrite in bed with Wall Street... http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cruz-unreported-1-million-bank-044000... I didn't know his wife is a Managing Director at Goldman Sachs either. Beginning of the end for him?

(bye.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bye.jpg (15KB - 2 downloads)

2016-01-14 10:46 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ejshowers Ted Cruz, anti-establishment hypocrite in bed with Wall Street... http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cruz-unreported-1-million-bank-044000... I didn't know his wife is a Managing Director at Goldman Sachs either. Beginning of the end for him?

I read that this morning too and went... oops

I think he was already on the slide for various reasons, but this is a big ole parachute.

2016-01-27 12:49 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Has anyone been following the story about Ted Cruz' former freshman year roommate at Princeton? It's a little juvenile, but pretty funny.

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2016/01/15/ted-cruzs-college-roomm...

Here's a highlight:
“I would rather have anybody else be the president of the United States. Anyone. I would rather pick somebody from the phone book.”

(Speaking of college roommates, is it common knowledge that Al Gore and Tommy Lee Jones were roommates at Harvard?)
2016-01-27 1:13 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I have heard a bit about the roommate thing very funny. I don't think Cruz has many friends (no surprise!) Never heard about Gore and Jones. Cool.
2016-01-28 10:11 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ejshowers I have heard a bit about the roommate thing very funny. I don't think Cruz has many friends (no surprise!) Never heard about Gore and Jones. Cool.

Ditto, I hadn't heard of either.

It's funny to watch the various Trump haters who feel he could never work with anyone tend to feel Cruz is much worse.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Ted Cruz Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Not Impressed Mr. Cruz

Started by Aarondb4
Views: 772 Posts: 7

2014-03-28 4:13 PM tuwood