Other Resources The Political Joe » Ted Cruz Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2015-12-13 8:30 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: Ted Cruz
Seems that CNN has officially announced (gleefully) that Cruz is ahead of the Donald in Iowa. Like him? Loathe him? Is he all "Green eggs and Ham" or is there more to Ted than most folks give credit. He's a smart boy, Princeton, Harvard Law. Discuss.

2015-12-13 3:34 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Ted Cruz
Originally posted by mdg2003

Seems that CNN has officially announced (gleefully) that Cruz is ahead of the Donald in Iowa. Like him? Loathe him? Is he all "Green eggs and Ham" or is there more to Ted than most folks give credit. He's a smart boy, Princeton, Harvard Law. Discuss.

I actually would be happier with Trump in the White House than Cruz. (I just threw up in my mouth, btw). Cruz strikes me as an angry, frightened little douche.

He is the living personification of "The Party of No". He exists to obstruct, to criticize and to second-guess. I don't think he has a leadership bone in his body.

What would be funny, if he overtakes Trump, would be to hear all the former Trump supporters, who have been going on about how they need "an outsider", a "non-politician", and a "successful businessman" in the White House suddenly spin 180 degrees and fall in behind the elitist Ivy Leaguer who has never run a business or spent a minute outside of the political arena in his life.
2015-12-13 6:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tejas
He's got an uphill battle to shake that angry douche persona. Every pic you see of him he seems to be scowling. We know that's selective editing to make that appearance and in reality, I'm sure he does a lot less scowling and looking angry. I don't see the party of no, I see him representing his constituents by doing everything in his power to stop the out of control fiscal mess we're in. He did run on that promise, so like it or not, he's doing what he was elected to do.

I don't see leadership because the GOP won't allow that to happen. They've allowed the party to splinter in 100 different directions and nobody is in control. They refuse to open their wallet and support anyone but Bush even though the republican voter doesn't want Bush. The rino cadre needs to shift gears and do what their voters want them to do. Dump Bush, find an electable candidate or they can kiss the WH goodbye.

I predict they screw the pooch and hand the WH keys back to Hilarry.

Edited by mdg2003 2015-12-13 6:02 PM
2015-12-13 7:16 PM

New user
With right direction, wrong direction of the nation polls averaging 67% wrong direction, Hillary will have a harder time than most believe in the general election. She can't run away from the fact she was part of this administration and there is no way she will change policy much from what we have had the last 7 years.
2015-12-13 7:41 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by mdg2003 Seems that CNN has officially announced (gleefully) that Cruz is ahead of the Donald in Iowa. Like him? Loathe him? Is he all "Green eggs and Ham" or is there more to Ted than most folks give credit. He's a smart boy, Princeton, Harvard Law. Discuss.
I actually would be happier with Trump in the White House than Cruz. (I just threw up in my mouth, btw). Cruz strikes me as an angry, frightened little douche. He is the living personification of "The Party of No". He exists to obstruct, to criticize and to second-guess. I don't think he has a leadership bone in his body. What would be funny, if he overtakes Trump, would be to hear all the former Trump supporters, who have been going on about how they need "an outsider", a "non-politician", and a "successful businessman" in the White House suddenly spin 180 degrees and fall in behind the elitist Ivy Leaguer who has never run a business or spent a minute outside of the political arena in his life.

I've always liked Cruz and him and Rand were my 1, 2 going into the race this year.  You're exactly right that he is a politician but given the original contenders (pre-Trump) they were the "most outsider" of the people in the race, but obviously both Paul and Cruz are raising funds and doing all the same things as all the other politicians.

Cruz is very smart, and I don't think anybody really argues that he's not, but he does have the reputation as an obstructionist.  Ironically though, this is one of his endearing qualities to most conservatives.  When Obama and the Uniparty are pushing through countless pieces of legislation that you don't support it's easy to get behind the only guy who is trying to stop it.

The more i've learned about Trump and the more I've followed him I agree that he is more qualified than Cruz is to lead the country and that's why I think he's a shoe in for the nomination at this point.  Yes, there was a poll of 400 people yesterday showing Cruz up by 10 points in Iowa, but seriously nobody believes it.  If it were true then Cruz jumped up 20 points in less than a week with absolutely no catalyst.  The Muslim comments have either boosted or not hurt Trump nationally or in any other state so it's hard for me to believe that would be a catalyst.  Also, Cruz is barely a blip on polls in any other state and Trump is pushing double digit leads nationally in virtually every poll.

As for getting behind Cruz if Trump doesn't get the nomination I would have absolutely no problem with it.  He's not a successful business man and is very different than Trump so you're correct there.  However, in contrast to the other Republicans running for the nomination and even moreso compared to Clinton there's no question he's lightyears better than them.  Now if Rubio or Bush won the nomination there's zero chance I'd get behind them because they're no different than Hillary.  I'll definitely be voting Libertarian in that election and the Republican base as a whole would stay home as well.  So, with a Rubio/Bush nomination Hillary wins, Trump/Cruz nomination Republicans win in a landslide. (my opinion of course)

Obviously there's still several months before any delegates are won, so anything could change between now and then.  I'm curious to see how the debate goes on Tuesday (think that's when it is).  Cruz will certainly have more eyes on him as the new anti-Trump flavor of the month.

2015-12-13 7:50 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by mdg2003 He's got an uphill battle to shake that angry douche persona. Every pic you see of him he seems to be scowling. We know that's selective editing to make that appearance and in reality, I'm sure he does a lot less scowling and looking angry. I don't see the party of no, I see him representing his constituents by doing everything in his power to stop the out of control fiscal mess we're in. He did run on that promise, so like it or not, he's doing what he was elected to do. I don't see leadership because the GOP won't allow that to happen. They've allowed the party to splinter in 100 different directions and nobody is in control. They refuse to open their wallet and support anyone but Bush even though the republican voter doesn't want Bush. The rino cadre needs to shift gears and do what their voters want them to do. Dump Bush, find an electable candidate or they can kiss the WH goodbye. I predict they screw the pooch and hand the WH keys back to Hilarry.

If you really think about it, our current two party system is so horribly broken.  It's like a WWE fight where they trot a few people out and make us cheer thinking "our guy" has a chance, but the outcome is set long before the match ever begins.  Love or hate Trump, he has single handedly exposed how bad it is in both parties.

I honestly feel that the Democrat voters would much prefer Sanders to her and even he's out there complaining about how badly the system is rigged against him.  He can't get air time on the news to save his life and the Democratic party establishment is essentially stamping him down to let the chosen "bought" politician through.

Trump at this point is the populist choice, but the party is doing everything they can to stop him.  WTF is up with that?
There's been a lot of talk lately about a brokered convention so that even if Trump goes into the convention as the leader they can take all of the other delegates he didn't win and give them to a Bush or Rubio and give them the nomination.  All I can say is if that happens, the Republican party is over and Trump will absolutely run third party.  This is actually the reason we keep seeing polls about 70% of Trumps supporters crossing over to support him as a third party.  He's basically telling the establishment if they try and fork it up, the Republicans will lose.  

2015-12-13 7:55 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by NXS With right direction, wrong direction of the nation polls averaging 67% wrong direction, Hillary will have a harder time than most believe in the general election. She can't run away from the fact she was part of this administration and there is no way she will change policy much from what we have had the last 7 years.

I seriously have no idea what she's running on other than being a woman.

2015-12-13 8:26 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

Between Hillary and Cruz I would vote for Cruz.

2015-12-14 8:23 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by mdg2003 He's got an uphill battle to shake that angry douche persona. Every pic you see of him he seems to be scowling. We know that's selective editing to make that appearance and in reality, I'm sure he does a lot less scowling and looking angry. I don't see the party of no, I see him representing his constituents by doing everything in his power to stop the out of control fiscal mess we're in. He did run on that promise, so like it or not, he's doing what he was elected to do. I don't see leadership because the GOP won't allow that to happen. They've allowed the party to splinter in 100 different directions and nobody is in control. They refuse to open their wallet and support anyone but Bush even though the republican voter doesn't want Bush. The rino cadre needs to shift gears and do what their voters want them to do. Dump Bush, find an electable candidate or they can kiss the WH goodbye. I predict they screw the pooch and hand the WH keys back to Hilarry.

If you really think about it, our current two party system is so horribly broken.  It's like a WWE fight where they trot a few people out and make us cheer thinking "our guy" has a chance, but the outcome is set long before the match ever begins.  Love or hate Trump, he has single handedly exposed how bad it is in both parties.

I honestly feel that the Democrat voters would much prefer Sanders to her and even he's out there complaining about how badly the system is rigged against him.  He can't get air time on the news to save his life and the Democratic party establishment is essentially stamping him down to let the chosen "bought" politician through.

Trump at this point is the populist choice, but the party is doing everything they can to stop him.  WTF is up with that?
There's been a lot of talk lately about a brokered convention so that even if Trump goes into the convention as the leader they can take all of the other delegates he didn't win and give them to a Bush or Rubio and give them the nomination.  All I can say is if that happens, the Republican party is over and Trump will absolutely run third party.  This is actually the reason we keep seeing polls about 70% of Trumps supporters crossing over to support him as a third party.  He's basically telling the establishment if they try and fork it up, the Republicans will lose.  

They do a brokered convention, I'm voting for Hillary.
2015-12-14 8:26 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by mdg2003

They do a brokered convention, I'm voting for Hillary.

lol, I don't know if I can go that far, but I definitely won't be voting for the Republican.  

2015-12-14 8:36 AM

User image

Pro
Between Hillary and Mickey Mouse I'm voting for the mouse.

2015-12-14 8:37 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain Between Hillary and Mickey Mouse I'm voting for the mouse.

I'm sensing a pattern here.

2015-12-14 9:21 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Originally posted by Left Brain Between Hillary and Mickey Mouse I'm voting for the mouse.

I'm sensing a pattern here.

Clear cut case of misogyny. And a touch of rodent fetish.
2015-12-14 9:40 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Cruz is very smart and has a strong machine working to get him to the White House.  A couple years ago, no one in Texas had heard of Ted Cruz.  He was the solicitor general - an appointed position in the attorney general's office that doesn't get any attention.  He decided to run for Kay Bailey Hutchinson's senate seat against a popular, well-known, and wealthy Lt. Governor, David Dewhurst.  He finished second behind Dewhurst in the primiary election.  In the run-off Cruz stomped Dewhurst by 57-43%, much to everyone's surprise (polling had Dewhurst winning all the way up to election day).

I would not be surprised if Cruz ends up being the GOP nominee.

Edited by Hook'em 2015-12-14 9:41 AM
2015-12-14 9:52 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Hook'em

Cruz is very smart and has a strong machine working to get him to the White House.  A couple years ago, no one in Texas had heard of Ted Cruz.  He was the solicitor general - an appointed position in the attorney general's office that doesn't get any attention.  He decided to run for Kay Bailey Hutchinson's senate seat against a popular, well-known, and wealthy Lt. Governor, David Dewhurst.  He finished second behind Dewhurst in the primiary election.  In the run-off Cruz stomped Dewhurst by 57-43%, much to everyone's surprise (polling had Dewhurst winning all the way up to election day).

I like Trump more, but I wouldn't exactly be crying if Cruz won the nomination.

No matter who wins the primary I'd pay a lot of money to watch Cruz debate Hillary.  

2015-12-14 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

I would strongly disagree that he has a "strong machine" working for him. He has almost NO endorsements from congress-people or governors at this point and is known to be generally disliked in the Senate.

2015-12-14 11:51 AM

User image

Buttercup
Ah, yes, Eddie Munster. He ranks very high in the Instinctual Dislike category. I don't like his style - combative, angry, world-is-on-fire fervency. I generally dislike zealots of any brand. He'd rather burn the house down than tolerate carpet that he doesn't like, so to speak.

However, putting my gut-reaction aside, I took a look at his platform before typing this reply. He promises to abolish the IRS (nutter-talk), as well as four other agencies and 25 depts or programs to start with. (There's more of that burn-the-house down leadership/governing I expect from him.) He's promises to end Birthright Citizenship. I think we're living in strange times; I don't think pursuing a Constitutional Amendment to strip rights is a winning or optimistic strategy. He promises to replace every 3 federal employees with 2 new hire. At the same time he plans to triple the Border Patrol staff. Doesn't fit his attrition plan and how will he pay for it with 10% income tax revenue? His math doesn't work but I attribute that to empty-promises, populist campaigning that everyone does.

This is a Doom & Gloom candidacy and his platform is about destructing things; I see little (or nothing) in the way of building or creating or leadership.

Edited by Renee 2015-12-14 11:53 AM
2015-12-14 12:41 PM
in reply to: Renee

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Renee

Ah, yes, Eddie Munster. He ranks very high in the Instinctual Dislike category. I don't like his style - combative, angry, world-is-on-fire fervency. I generally dislike zealots of any brand. He'd rather burn the house down than tolerate carpet that he doesn't like, so to speak.

However, putting my gut-reaction aside, I took a look at his platform before typing this reply. He promises to abolish the IRS (nutter-talk), as well as four other agencies and 25 depts or programs to start with. (There's more of that burn-the-house down leadership/governing I expect from him.) He's promises to end Birthright Citizenship. I think we're living in strange times; I don't think pursuing a Constitutional Amendment to strip rights is a winning or optimistic strategy. He promises to replace every 3 federal employees with 2 new hire. At the same time he plans to triple the Border Patrol staff. Doesn't fit his attrition plan and how will he pay for it with 10% income tax revenue? His math doesn't work but I attribute that to empty-promises, populist campaigning that everyone does.

This is a Doom & Gloom candidacy and his platform is about destructing things; I see little (or nothing) in the way of building or creating or leadership.

You read too much into it. I just went to his website to see what his platform looked like all written down in one place. There were some surprises I wasn't aware of.
Not abolish the IRS. Abolish it as we know it-he wants to fix it. It is broken and we all know that it is. Those 25 agencies are not burning down a house, the USDA catfish inspection program? Yeah, we can't do without that one. Granted, he is reaching to include that one. Maybe he needed it to reach 25, so he tossed it in?
No mention of replacing all federal employees. He wants to only rehire one for every three that leave. He dent mention making those people leave. Good start to streamline our bloated government. If things are streamlined too much, I'm sure people can be hired as needed.
Tripling border control is something we need. Take a trip to south Texas and you;ll see why. There just aren't enough of them to do the job. Its easy for people not living on the border to criticize the need for something they know nothing about.
The math I see is simple subtraction. Whether or not his promise of saving 500B in five years is completely accurate, it is a step in the right direction. Cut spending and raise revenue. Its a start
Stripping what rights? I agree that if a child is born here, they are a US citizen. If mom and dad are in the country illegally? They can put the kid up for adoption, foster care and leave. Or they can take their child back home and apply for citizenship in their own country. Id be interested to see if Mexico would be so willing to grant dual citizenship if they know the kid will be living in Mexico.
I can't see him having much luck getting any of his agenda done, so I don't imagine us debating it does any good in the long run. The democrats will dig in and oppose everything and more than half the rinos will do the same. He'll be a lame duck on Day 1 !

The whole system is broken. If I ran my household in the same manner, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. Anyone who runs their household like the government is run, are being irresponsible. ' Oh crap I'll never be able to pay off my credit card debt. Fug it, I'll never get ahead so I might as well go buy a new car. What difference does a little more debt make?'
2015-12-14 1:16 PM

User image

Buttercup
Originally posted by Renee

He promises to replace every 3 federal employees with 2 new hire. At the same time he plans to triple the Border Patrol staff. Doesn't fit his attrition plan and how will he pay for it with 10% income tax revenue? His math doesn't work but I attribute that to empty-promises, populist campaigning that everyone does.

Sorry, typo. Replace every 3 federal employees who leave with 1 new hire.
2015-12-15 8:37 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I'm not finding much on foreign policy. He seems too focused on domestic issues and almost isolationist. Maybe they'll debate that a bit tonight on CNN.
2015-12-15 9:18 AM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by ejshowers

I would strongly disagree that he has a "strong machine" working for him. He has almost NO endorsements from congress-people or governors at this point and is known to be generally disliked in the Senate.

Compare the organization of Ted Cruz with that of the front runners,  Donald Trump and Ben Carson, and you'll see he has a much deeper campaign organization (staff/volunteers in states much later in the primary season).  The only candidates with similar organizations at this point are Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio.  While endorsements by sitting politicos are important, the organization at the state and county level is what is needed to get out the vote.  He didn't have any notable endorsements in his senate race and he easily upset the candidate that did.  

2015-12-15 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Compare the organization of Ted Cruz with that of the front runners,  Donald Trump and Ben Carson, and you'll see he has a much deeper campaign organization (staff/volunteers in states much later in the primary season).  The only candidates with similar organizations at this point are Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio.  While endorsements by sitting politicos are important, the organization at the state and county level is what is needed to get out the vote.  He didn't have any notable endorsements in his senate race and he easily upset the candidate that did.  

If by strong machine you meant campaign organization, I will give you that as I have no knowledge of how Cruz's team compares to others. I took it to mean overall political machine, which would include the party establishment and obviously sitting congress people and governors that would publically support a candidate. You are right that endorsements are important and are a very strong predictor of presidential race success - and Cruz has like 12 versus Bush at 46, Trump at 0 and for some perspective, Hillary at 454 as of today.
2015-12-17 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I got a good laugh with this one.

(Munster Cruz.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Munster Cruz.jpg (63KB - 3 downloads)
2015-12-17 1:47 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ejshowers I got a good laugh with this one.

lol, i always said if Cruz had Rubio's looks he'd be 15 points higher in the polls.  His voice and looks are just weird.  I like the guy, but I don't like listening to him talk. 

2015-12-17 4:14 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

If by strong machine you meant campaign organization, I will give you that as I have no knowledge of how Cruz's team compares to others. I took it to mean overall political machine, which would include the party establishment and obviously sitting congress people and governors that would publically support a candidate. You are right that endorsements are important and are a very strong predictor of presidential race success - and Cruz has like 12 versus Bush at 46, Trump at 0 and for some perspective, Hillary at 454 as of today.

Ahh Cruz, arguable the least-liked person in the Senate. From Politico:

"Ted Cruz can’t even get a protest vote in the Senate anymore.

On Monday night, Cruz’s colleagues ignored his attempt to disrupt Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s efforts to fund the government without attacking Planned Parenthood. In an unusual rebuke, even fellow Republicans denied him a “sufficient second” that would have allowed him a roll call vote.

Then, his Republican colleagues loudly bellowed “no” when Cruz sought a voice vote, a second repudiation that showed how little support Cruz has: Just one other GOP senator — Utah’s Mike Lee — joined with Cruz as he was overruled by McConnell and his deputies.

It was the second time that Cruz had been denied a procedural courtesy that’s routinely granted to senators in both parties. The first came after he called McConnell a liar this summer. ...."
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Ted Cruz Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Not Impressed Mr. Cruz

Started by Aarondb4
Views: 770 Posts: 7

2014-03-28 4:13 PM tuwood