General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for a Duathlon With a Triathlon Plan? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-12-14 9:50 PM

Subject: Training for a Duathlon With a Triathlon Plan?
Last summer I competed in a couple of sprint triathlons and want to get more involved in the sport this next year. I'm not very fast but want to improve - especially in swimming, which is by far my worst of the sports. The first opportunity to race for me would be in early spring with a 5k-25k-5k duathlon. I'm thinking of just using a standard Olympic distance triathlon 12 week training plan and probably add a few more bricks. My line of reasoning is it will help build my fitness level for both the duathlon and the upcoming tri season, while still getting to experience the build up of an Olympic tri. I want to include the normal amount of swim workouts because of how badly I need to work on my stroke and endurance in the water. My hope would be to then race in an Olympic tri when it warms up in May or June.

Thoughts on this line of reasoning?

2015-12-15 2:25 PM
in reply to: #5156658

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Training for a Duathlon With a Triathlon Plan?
Sure, just make sure you do bricks both ways, and practice your 5k paces on either end, they'll be different and neither should be at your best standalone 5k pace. Aim to do the first one about 5% slower, nail the bike close to threshold, then pace the 2nd one 7-10% below standalone 5k pace.

Practice it in training and you'll get a better feel for best paces with more race experience
2015-12-15 9:21 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

How many weekly workouts are you completing each week? The only reason I would drop the swim workouts from a training plan would be if I dropped tri entirely & was only focusing on du's. Otherwise keep the swims.
2015-12-15 10:33 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Great advice. Thanks!
2015-12-16 5:51 PM
in reply to: benjico17

User image

Brooklyn, New York
In only my first full year of multisport I ended up doing more du's than tri's. Just worked out that way. In fact, I find the run bike run more challenging. I trained the same for both, except, once I realized that the final run felt a lot different than run in a tri I made sure I did a few bricks to acclimate to the feeling. For me at least, my body (even more so my mind) is so happy to get off the feet after a first hard run then onto the bike, only to have to run again, is a mental challenge.
2015-12-17 3:06 PM
in reply to: benjico17

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
The vast majority of my races are Du's (although once in a while I do my best to drown). There's a lot of similarities in how you train, but also some key differences. First, you need to practice the transition from run to bike. After a hard run, get on the bike (as soon as you can after finishing the run, preferably within a few minutes) and do a couple of miles on the bike. Take it a bit easier the first mile, then push the second. You'll learn pretty quick how much recover you will need during the first mile and how hard you can push the second. This knowledge is crucial in a race.

Second, you do spend quite a bit of time running in a duathlon so you want to train that more, but to swap all your swim for running, in addition to the running you would have in the training plan may be more than your body can handle. Most duathlons tend to have shorter runs, so after you build a solid base, you will need speed work.

Third, duathlons are more painful than triathlons (certain there's going to be disagreements here, but in my opinion, they are), you will need to learn how to suffer. Great training for this is free standing 5k's and TT's.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for a Duathlon With a Triathlon Plan? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beginner Triathelet's IM training plan vs "Be Iron Fit" plan

Started by ironcop17
Views: 10900 Posts: 18

2012-11-26 8:53 PM japewang

Duathlon training plan

Started by csikes
Views: 2583 Posts: 8

2012-01-01 11:23 PM csikes

2011 race plans vs 2011 training plans

Started by KirkD
Views: 1488 Posts: 5

2010-12-03 10:38 AM KirkD

Looking for Duathlon Training Plan

Started by bdj6020
Views: 1206 Posts: 5

2010-03-17 6:15 PM newbz

Duathlon Training Plans

Started by dursofd
Views: 2478 Posts: 6

2006-12-14 11:42 PM mikericci
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : October 30, 2005
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.

date : October 30, 2005
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.