Subject: Reston Tri Sell Out?
Anyone know how fast it sells out?

2015-12-17 8:44 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: Reston Tri Sell Out?

I think this used to sell out fairly quickly but it didn't last year until near race day.  So I am thinking you have time.

It is a very nicely run race.

2015-12-17 4:02 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

DC
Originally posted by hoffsquared

I think this used to sell out fairly quickly but it didn't last year until near race day.  So I am thinking you have time.

It is a very nicely run race.

Thanks. Usually do the Nation's Tri but, as we are targeting Reston as our new home community, thought it would be "appropriate" to do a hometown triathlon.
2015-12-18 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
It didn't sell out at all last year. For 2016 it is the same day as Nation's Tri. I'm targeting Reston as my first Oly this year!
2015-12-18 10:00 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I think it is a great option instead of Nation's.  Nation's became a bit too big for me and I didn't enjoy it after they implemented two loops on the bike.

They host a swim in Lake Audobon the weekend before the race so you can get some practice on the actual course.

There is also a spring tri in Reston that is also terrific.

Good luck!

2015-12-18 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

I think it is a great option instead of Nation's.  Nation's became a bit too big for me and I didn't enjoy it after they implemented two loops on the bike.

They host a swim in Lake Audobon the weekend before the race so you can get some practice on the actual course.

Good luck!

Sorry to hijack the thread here, but Melanie, would you say a wetsuit is a "must" for the Reston Oly?

2015-12-18 2:06 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by Atlantia

Good luck!

Sorry to hijack the thread here, but Melanie, would you say a wetsuit is a "must" for the Reston Oly?

So I think this really all depends on the weather and water temp.  I cannot remember if I wore one or not.  If the race is wetsuit legal, I will wear one.

There are two main things I remember about the swim portion.  The first is that the course is pretty much an out and back.  This resulted in sort of a washing machine effect of the water.  The water just didn't have space to dissipate the waves between swimmers going two ways (separated by a buoy line) and the lake shoreline.

Also the swim waves go off by estimated time not by age group.  So it was hard to get some separation between swimmers.  I ended up being sandwiched by to fairly large fellows the entire race.

Doing the practice swim is a really good idea.

2015-12-22 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

This is a great race.  The course gets a little tight in some spots, but overall a very solid "local" race.  I did it in 11, 12, and 13 and it sold out pretty quick.  I might just get back in this year if its still open.  

As to the wet suit question, the swim was cancelled in 11 so I've only done the swim twice... once with and once without.

2016-06-29 10:46 PM

I'm brand new on this site, and brand new to Triathlon. I've run a marathon in the recent past, and I've been working on my cycling skills, as well as swimming. I am ready to tackle an Olympic Tri, and I've been training for it. I just don't want to get into something where I'm in over my head (literally and figuratively!) For reference, I'm currently able to swim the 1500 distance in a pool (different than open water) and my marathon time is 5 hours (pretty slow.) My cycling is coming along, but I'm no speed demon, that's for sure! I live near Reston, but I'm wondering is this race:

-OK for a first-time open water swimmer?
-OK for a first-time Triathlete?
-OK for someone without an expensive Tri bike? (basic Trek recreation bike)
-OK for someone who may have a slower time?

2016-07-07 3:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by Heyruthie I'm brand new on this site, and brand new to Triathlon. I've run a marathon in the recent past, and I've been working on my cycling skills, as well as swimming. I am ready to tackle an Olympic Tri, and I've been training for it. I just don't want to get into something where I'm in over my head (literally and figuratively!) For reference, I'm currently able to swim the 1500 distance in a pool (different than open water) and my marathon time is 5 hours (pretty slow.) My cycling is coming along, but I'm no speed demon, that's for sure! I live near Reston, but I'm wondering is this race:

-OK for a first-time open water swimmer?

yes.  The lake is pretty flat and open, no real current or chop to deal with.  It's also a wave start and small-ish race so you likley go in the water with only a few dozen or so other people

-OK for a first-time Triathlete?

Absolutely, its a great race for a first-timer.  They put on a good race, the couse is pretty nice and they have great swag.

-OK for someone without an expensive Tri bike? (basic Trek recreation bike)

IMHO any tri is fine for someone without an expensive bike.  So long as its safe, rolls and stops, you'll be good!

-OK for someone who may have a slower time? 

Sure.  Someone will always win and someone will always finish last.  Most of the time we all finish somewhere in between.

Edited by Sous 2016-07-07 3:07 PM
2016-07-10 11:07 PM
in reply to: Sous

Thank you, Sous, for your encouraging reply! I'm going to check the website to make sure the Reston Tri hasn't sold out yet, and if it hasn't, I think I'm going to take the plunge. I'm nervous, but if I don't do it now, it will never get easier :-)

2016-07-11 10:18 AM
in reply to: Heyruthie

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by Heyruthie Thank you, Sous, for your encouraging reply! I'm going to check the website to make sure the Reston Tri hasn't sold out yet, and if it hasn't, I think I'm going to take the plunge. I'm nervous, but if I don't do it now, it will never get easier :-)

Awesome, I wish you the best of luck.  This is really a pretty cool race and one that I'd most certainly recommend for anyone to do (first-timer or not).  Keep on training, maybe try to get some open water swims in so the race won't be your first time (there a few places and groups that do clinics) , and above all ENJOY yourself, your first race should be about finishing happy and healthy, not about time or place.  Good luck!!

2016-07-15 10:19 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Just signed up! This will be my first Oly!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reston Tri Sell Out? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Reston Tri

Started by NOVADan
Views: 1149 Posts: 7

2015-02-14 5:31 PM acdkayak

Reston Tri

Started by Sous
Views: 1473 Posts: 14

2011-09-09 10:38 PM Skippy74

Who is doing Reston Tri?

Started by Z
Views: 774 Posts: 3

2007-09-06 8:06 PM Z

New - Reston Sprint Tri

Started by BodyCheck
Views: 924 Posts: 3

2007-01-03 8:49 AM timInVirginia

Reston Triathlon

Started by ejc999
Views: 1136 Posts: 5

2006-04-07 7:20 PM grems8544
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout