United States
40F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 29m 57s
Overall Rank = 1/8
Age Group = All
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Slept in as long as possible (5:42 am that is) got up took the pug out, made coffee and ate, drove to issaquah.
Event warmup:

Just a little jogging in the parking lot, shed some layers, debated headlamp or no, decided on headlamp
Run
  • 29m 57s
  • 2 miles
  • 14m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I waffled a bit about whether or not I wanted to wear my headlamp. The sun hadn't quite risen yet and even so, we would be in the trees about 99% of the time. I decided to go ahead and wear it, especially since I had not run this trail before (although I had hiked it several times.)

I started a couple people from the back and we ran single file as the trail is pretty narrow and VERY rocky in the beginning
View post on imgur.com
<script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8">

The trail becomes less like a staircase but still rocky as it winds its way through the thick forest
View post on imgur.com
<script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8">

I was glad I had my headlamp as it was VERY dark and obviously the terrain was quite unpredictable.

It was about here, maybe a half a mile in that I made my pass. Since it is such a challenging trail I went ahead and passed everyone at once so that I could keep my own rhythm.

I made my move firm and accelerated a bit. Maybe a little too much, but I just wanted to get a little distance so that I could run this the way I wanted and not have anyone breathing down my neck.

I dialed it back just a little and got into a great rhythm. Luckily the terrain was a little less rocky as we continued upward. The wind was howling pretty good through the trees but the effort brought my body temp way up and I was glad to be wearing shorts.

I ditched my gloves and continued up. The trail was in much better condition, with hardly any rocks but it got very steep and there were some root sections. The "sun" had come up and I was able to turn my headlamp off. I came through a series of switchbacks and looked down to see if I could see anyone coming. I didn't see anyone. I pushed on and focused on keeping my breathing even and as relaxed as possible.

There was a flat section towards the top which I tried to capitalize on and lay down some speed before the last climb. Finally, I could see the light peaking through the trees, signaling the clearing where the finish was. I pushed hard and ran all the way to the fence, making it to the top first.

Sam, the husband of the event organizer came up a few minutes later (he wasn't running with the group as he started later but technically he probably had a faster time than I)

About two minutes later the first person in the group came up the trail and then it was a steady stream as the others made it to the top.

You should probably know, Poo Poo point got it's name from the trains in the distance, not for the more obvious reasons you might think :)

What would you do differently?:

I could have run that first half mile that I was behind the others a little faster but it was probably good for the first time.

I'm also just working off of base at the moment so getting some speed under my belt couldn't hurt.
Post race

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-12-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:57 | 02 miles | 14m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/8
Performance: Average
Course: 1760' of gain from the heart sign to the fence, very official :) approximately 2 miles to the top
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-12-17 1:13 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Time Trial: Poo Poo Point Ascent

2015-12-21 12:57 PM
in reply to: #5157047

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Time Trial: Poo Poo Point Ascent

Wow!  Speedy, speedy girl congrats on a great race and kudos for being prepared with a headlamp!

2015-12-29 2:59 PM
in reply to: #5157047

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Time Trial: Poo Poo Point Ascent

Sounds like a fun course and a great effort. Congrats on the OA win!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Time Trial: Poo Poo Point Ascent Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cherry Creek Time Trial Series #1

Started by luv2ride
Views: 1414 Posts: 8

2005-04-15 7:28 AM gunit

Piru Time Trial

Started by GasMunky
Views: 1127 Posts: 8

2005-04-15 9:52 PM heymickey

Tom's Farms Time Trial

Started by celmore
Views: 889 Posts: 1

2004-11-17 7:34 PM celmore

Tom's Farms Time Trial

Started by GasMunky
Views: 908 Posts: 1

2004-11-15 7:50 PM GasMunky

Intl Police Games - Time Trial

Started by desertsix
Views: 909 Posts: 1

2004-08-15 1:15 AM desertsix
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : August 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.

date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
How do you determine VO2 max for cycling? I have my HR zones from a time trial, but don't know how to get VO2 max out of that.
date : April 16, 2008
author : Team BT
Watch Christina Robeson, Chris Bagg, Janda Ricci-Munn and Lisbeth Kenyon battle it out at the 2008 Multisport World Expo in this 10K indoor time trial.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.