General Discussion Triathlon Talk » B2B - Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-12-17 4:26 PM

New user
Greensboro, NC
Subject: B2B - Ironman
Anyone have an opinion about B2B becoming an Ironman event? I know the price will skyrocket.

2015-12-18 8:04 AM
in reply to: patterson72

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: B2B - Ironman
I do not like it.

The race was not some rinky dinky no people, no organization type race that needed fixing. To me this is like Walmart taking over Food lion except the price will not be cheaper. If it was Walmart taking over Bubba's Big food mart then yeah not bad. The race did not really need improvements. Not certain what IM is going to do to make it much better. I can see what they will do to make it worse (higher price, hotel min stays, and overcrowding the course)

2015-12-18 8:22 AM
in reply to: patterson72

User image

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
I did B2B this year. It was my first 140.6 event. I really liked the event and have nothing negative to say about it. From this perspective, there was nothing to fix and no need to be acquired by WTC. Also, comparing it to IM 70.3 Princeton, I don't think B2B was lagging a WTC event in any way. The course, volunteers, spectator support, organization, swag and expo were all good to great. I just didn't get to hear "You are an Ironman!" when I finished.

With that in mind, the only tangible change will be the extra cost. Sure, it will be more crowded which may make the swim start and T1 more challenging, but WTC probably has dealt with challenges like this before.

All in all, kind of a bummer that B2B will lose its "charm", but other than the cost probably not that big of deal for the 140.6 participants.

I'm sure the people who did the relay aren't happy about it though. It gave allot of people the opportunity to participate in a great event and I've heard that the relay is being discontinued.

One positive for me. I will now just tell people I did IM North Carolina B2B and save five minutes trying to explain that although I did a 140.6 event I'm really not an ironman, etc., etc.

2015-12-20 5:41 PM
in reply to: #5157085

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
I agree with qrkid. Can't see how WTC will improve this race enough to justify the extra costs but some people seem pretty excited. Some people always like branding though...
2016-01-06 11:40 AM
in reply to: louiskie

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by louiskie

I agree with qrkid. Can't see how WTC will improve this race enough to justify the extra costs but some people seem pretty excited. Some people always like branding though...

I was NOT excited about this, but, B2B did state this was a business decision. WTC made an offer they could not refuse. What that means, they didn't say. It looks like any popular Half or Full will always be in WTC's sights.

B2B was a great event. I loved racing there, despite the unpredictable weather, and mostly had good results to go along with a good experience. I don't see how WTC is going to improve it all that much, other than having more ppl sign up. I say that b/c the ride did get pretty lonely. I signed up for the new WTC B2B (or Ironman NC, as they're calling it now) and will give it a chance. The price wasn't that much different (I paid $300) than what I paid for B2B in previous years.

2016-02-02 5:49 AM
in reply to: dillrob

User image

Camden, NC
Originally posted by dillrob

I did B2B this year. It was my first 140.6 event. I really liked the event and have nothing negative to say about it. From this perspective, there was nothing to fix and no need to be acquired by WTC. Also, comparing it to IM 70.3 Princeton, I don't think B2B was lagging a WTC event in any way. The course, volunteers, spectator support, organization, swag and expo were all good to great. I just didn't get to hear "You are an Ironman!" when I finished.

With that in mind, the only tangible change will be the extra cost. Sure, it will be more crowded which may make the swim start and T1 more challenging, but WTC probably has dealt with challenges like this before.

All in all, kind of a bummer that B2B will lose its "charm", but other than the cost probably not that big of deal for the 140.6 participants.

I'm sure the people who did the relay aren't happy about it though. It gave allot of people the opportunity to participate in a great event and I've heard that the relay is being discontinued.

One positive for me. I will now just tell people I did IM North Carolina B2B and save five minutes trying to explain that although I did a 140.6 event I'm really not an ironman, etc., etc.

I'm sad that you didn't think you were an Ironman after completing the 140.6 distance! Completing 140.6 makes you an Ironman period!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » B2B - Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

B2B 2009 Registration

Started by qrkid
Views: 1690 Posts: 8

2008-11-17 3:04 PM DMarkSwan

B2B Awards Ceremony

Started by SlickWillie
Views: 1037 Posts: 1

2008-09-18 1:35 PM SlickWillie

B2B half transition clarification?

Started by MagicNC
Views: 1672 Posts: 8

2008-10-23 2:50 PM alltom1

B2B Practice Swimming

Started by countregirl
Views: 1481 Posts: 7

2008-09-08 8:33 PM canadarn2001

B2B info now posted

Started by SlickWillie
Views: 724 Posts: 1

2008-06-27 1:16 PM SlickWillie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.