BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2016-01-20 8:36 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Hey Robert!  Good to hear from you and welcome.  There are some really good duathlons in the area during spring that you should check out to get some early races and intensity in.  I'm doing Apple Duathlon for sure and likely Gear West Du (often cold temps).  For half ironman races check out Orthology Triathlon (formerly known as Liberty Triathlon) - they also have a short distance. Its out at Lake Rebecca Park Reserve in Rockford, MN (I'll be doing that one as well as prep for IM Canada).  Welcome!!

Nice, looks like I'm going to have to up my training if I want to make liberty a good finish. That would mean 70.3 races on June 11th, July 17th & Aug 20th for this season. That sounds excellent to me!!!

2016-01-20 8:38 AM
in reply to: slides

User image

West Des Moines, Iowa
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)

That would mean 70.3 races on June 11th, July 17th & Aug 20th for this season. That sounds excellent to me!!!

July 17th...does that mean you'll be at Racine?

2016-01-20 12:41 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

I've offered to give a presentation on training with power for the in-shop presentation series at our local bike shop in March.  I know Steve trains with power but who else in the group does?  Which powermeter do you have?   What are some questions you have about training with power that might be good to hear as I put my presentation together.

This is a super hot topic for me right now and I have looked at many options. I know for me that my cycling greatly improved from my first Half to my second Half based off of training with HR. After doing research I now know that HR is a good way to train and ride, but is affected by to many variables and does not seem to be as good of a gauge as the power meter would be. I have been looking at the new Stages power meter, which would leave me having to purchase a new crank set because my bike, while 105 and up, has a crank that is not even Tiagra.(research into this told me that it was something Shimano tried that did not stick and was not really what it was advertised to be) So here is my problem with all of this and was hoping to get your two cents. I have a 2010'ish Kuota K-Factor, stock everything. I am trying to decide if my best bet would be to 1. upgrade my bike and ensure it has 105 or better, which would then allow me to buy a stages to put on the new bike and do nothing else to the bike, 2. upgrade the crank, purchase a stages, maybe get better aero bars, and better wheels (not of Zipp $) (all of this could be moved later to a new frame when money became available, but would not be before my race), 3. upgrade the wheel set and ensure they are laced with a powertap and possibly still upgrade the crank. I have gone over it a million times and can not decide, because of all the variables. I know that if I decide to purchase new / used that I will go to Tad Hughes here in the Houston area for a pre fit. I understand that he is like a fitting guru and that after the pre fit he gives you all the measurements you need to look for and all the bikes / sizes that will fit, which would open the door to me possibly getting a little older frame / bike at a huge discount with less fear of it not being right for my body.

Hi Todd   It's a little tough to make firm recommendations without knowing your budgetary constraints.  Stages might seem like a logical choice based purely on price, but if you have to change components in order to use it, it might not be the cheapest option in the long run.  Also, I would definitely read the Stages review on the DCRainmaker website I mentioned previously.  Personally, I'm not a big fan of putting new components on an old frame - that's just me.  Upgrading the entire bike just so that you can get a Stages pm doesn't seem like a cost-effective alternative (#1 you listed above).  That would make upgrading the crank to enable using a Stages pm a more cost-effective alternative (#2 you listed above).  But then you have to ask if the combined cost of the new crank + Stages pm puts you in the price range of a different power meter altogether.  Personally, I wouldn't upgrade your aerobars with this option - the benefit wouldn't justify the cost.  Instead of getting a new wheel set in alternative #2 perhaps consider putting a disk cover on your existing back wheel.  I think alternative #3 makes a lot of sense especially if you lace a decent training wheel with a Powertap and fit it with a disk cover for racing.  You simply can't go wrong with the Powertap brand imho.  Another alternative is the Powertap P1 pedal power meter.  It would give you instant power capability and it can be switched to a new bike in the future.  Not sure if this helps or not but it provides a different perspective. 

2016-01-20 1:27 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete 

I knew that Steve was going to be doing IM Canada, but did not know you were, which now makes being in your group just that much better. No need for you or Steve to worry as my time will certainly be slower than both of yours.

that's a feeble attempt to try to escape pre-race trash talking

Jim was initially trying to avoid racing me in Canada, afraid I would beat him and steal his glory. But since he has decided not to duck me, it's on.

See, that's how you do it. Mic drop.

2016-01-21 8:07 AM
in reply to: Wingspan

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Originally posted by Wingspan

That would mean 70.3 races on June 11th, July 17th & Aug 20th for this season. That sounds excellent to me!!!

July 17th...does that mean you'll be at Racine?

Yup it sure does! Are you going to be there?
2016-01-21 9:09 PM

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
What are you guys using for training plans? I'm looking for a 20 week plan to start this weekend. Training perks seem to have a lot but minimal review of the plans themselves.

2016-01-21 10:21 PM
in reply to: #5157537

User image

Fort Madison, Iowa
I am on a 12 week marathon plan from Garmin Connect right now to prep for an April marathon to get over the mental hurdle for Ironman Boulder this summer and to improve my running which is my weak area.

I ride on days when the plan says to cross train and I still swim a little every day to maintain and because I like it.

After the marathon I plan to start an Ironman plan I got on triradar.com for free. It seems comperable to pay plans I have seen and it is free.

I could probably benifit from a coach & coached plan but I can't afford that right now and there are other things I need to spend money on first.
2016-01-22 7:22 AM
in reply to: stevemorey

User image

Pro

Originally posted by stevemorey I am on a 12 week marathon plan from Garmin Connect right now to prep for an April marathon to get over the mental hurdle for Ironman Boulder this summer and to improve my running which is my weak area. I ride on days when the plan says to cross train and I still swim a little every day to maintain and because I like it. After the marathon I plan to start an Ironman plan I got on triradar.com for free. It seems comperable to pay plans I have seen and it is free. I could probably benifit from a coach & coached plan but I can't afford that right now and there are other things I need to spend money on first.

I hesitate to make any comments because you have put your own plans in place.  I can't deny the mental benefit of entering an IM knowing you have already finished a marathon.  But frankly, that is the only benefit that I can agree with.  I would never recommend that an athlete incorporate a marathon into their IM training plan.  It simply detracts too much from IM preparation and requires recovery.  You can become a strong runner, especially an IM runner, without ever running a marathon (by the same reasoning, I never had a training run over 18 miles while prepping for my stand alone marathons).  You know how to have a good IM run?  Get really strong on the bike and build leg durability via frequent runs (not necessarily a bunch of long ones).  You set up a good IM run by riding a strategic bike split that will be at an easier effort than your bike training will have prepared you for and then let that leg durability carry you to the finish line. 

2016-01-22 9:15 AM

User image

Fort Madison, Iowa
Okay, marathons are out. Let's go back to Slides original question that started this discussion thread:

Originally posted by slides

What are you guys using for training plans? I'm looking for a 20 week plan to start this weekend. Training perks seem to have a lot but minimal review of the plans themselves.
2016-01-22 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
i was gonna post this before Jim's but was afraid of being wrong or giving poor advice. My second Half Ironman race was so much better than my first and I believe it was based largely off the fact that I biked a lot more. During training I just kept telling myself that if the 56 mile ride felt like nothing (training day) then the run would be exponentially easier. Well race day came and it was. My Half Marathon time that day was a PR and i mean even against stand alone ones I had done.
2016-01-22 11:39 AM

User image

Originally posted by stevemorey

Okay, marathons are out. Let's go back to Slides original question that started this discussion thread:

The first year I did 70.3, I used the Triradar plan. You can always adjust those free plans to focus on your weekends. I would definitely add a run and maybe not bike long 2 days in a row but otherwise they were fine. The TP plans are all written by Triathlon experts like Joel Friel and Matt Fitzgerald so I am assuming that are pretty well designed.

I am doing IM Canada, so we are pretty close in dates to our races. I don't have a plan on paper since i use a coach and we are constantly adjusting but here is the rough game plan. Hopefully this gives you a little insight.

Swimming 3x a week about 8000 yards per week. Typically 2 days of masters and 1 day laid out by coach. Most of the swimming at this point is working on top end speed with shorter intervals and drills, typically 200 yards or less. working on lowest hanging fruit. Will do OWS and longer 800 and 1500 yard sets closer to race. I don't expect to make too much gains in swimming unless I invested major time, so will concentrate that time to bike and run.

Running is just coming back from injury so trying to build base miles. Main goal for running is increase volume thru frequency. Trying to run 5-6 days per week (3 short, 2 med, 1 longer). 75-80% of mileage at easier pace, which is the biggest key to staying healthy. That and add mileage slowly and keep consistent. Right now, about 25 mpw. Will build up a bit before 70.3 in April to about 30-35. When we get into specific IM training, hope I am healthy enough to get up to 45mpw.

Bike is the main focus right now. Learned from my 70.3s and 140.6 that it's all about the bike. The bike leg of IM should feel like your easiest effort of the season and then you will have fresh legs for run. Using the winter to increase FTP by hopefully 10%. The idea is to raise the roof in order to raise the ceiling. Currently doing 3 rides per week. 2 of these on the trainer about and hour each. Focusing on hard intervals above threshold: 2' @110% and 4'@105%. and longer 3 hourish weekend ride at comfortable pace 75%. So that would probably be a 6 week block of training. Then move on to longer intervals 10' and 15' at 90% and increase long ride. probably wont' do too many super long 100 mile rides this year. We did a couple last year for the mental aspect but now we can accomplish the same with 80 miles with some higher efforts.

Current week is about 10 hours per week of training plus some core strength training. For 70.3 will probably get to 12-13 and for IM maybe 15+. Probably about a month of peak training.

FYI, my first run longer than 20 miles was IMAZ. IM running is not a marathon. Its just about saving enough in your legs to hang on. Somebody told me that IM running is not about who's the fastest but who slows down the least. Jim can chime in but I would say a better mental hurdle would be to do a 5 hour ride and 10K brick at your IM paces. That would give you a good insight as how you will feel on race day without setting back training.

Hope there is some helpful info you can use.

2016-01-22 3:08 PM

, Idaho
Hi Jim,
I’d like to Join this group if it’s not too late. I’ve been following this thread, so I might as well jump in!

Name – Dan Wilkerson

Story – This will be my 4th year participating in triathlons. I have absolutely no athletic background and no genes for endurance sports, sadly. Up to this point it has been sprints and Olympics. I’m making the jump this year to an Ironman. Don’t know if that’s dumb or not, but I’m giving it a shot. I’m a 36 year old business owner with a super supportive wife and 4 great kids.

Current Training – My focus right now is mainly biking and running. Running 5-6x week for 4.5-5.5 hrs, Biking 4x week for 6-8 hrs, Swim 1-2x per week…some weeks I skip swimming.

2016 Races – My year is centered around Ironman Vineman, July 30. I’ll be doing some sprints and Olympics also, but everything is focused on July 30. Might do the St. George Half on May 7, but more likely I’ll do the 70.6 distance on my own from home on that same day as it is 13 weeks from my Ironman.

Weightloss – Big issue for me. I’m 6’0 and would like to be around 180 (probably less for race day), but I range between 210-230 throughout the year. Weight is a big frustration for me. Any suggestions are helpful.
2016-01-22 3:41 PM
in reply to: StevenC

, Idaho
A few of questions:

1. I'm trying to hammer out my plan for the bike. As this will be my first time ironman, am I better to get in the longer efforts (100 miles plus) or is something like 80 miles (like StevenC mentioned) with higher efforts smarter and more effective?

2. Are 6 and 7 hour rides a month or two out effective or not necessarily needed?

3. Since the bike is so important, how many hours a week should I put to it? I'm planning on 6-11 depending on the phase of my plan. Is that enough?

4. I'm focused on frequency of running instead of volume. I'll be 5-5.5 hours a week for a lot of my training. Is that enough?

5. Longest run question: I'm a slow runner. My easy/slow pace is around 4.8-5.2 miles per hour. Where should I put my longest run at? 2.5 hours? 3 hours? A lot of what I've read suggests that the longest run should be 2.5-3.1 hours. That doesn't give me many miles. Is that ok? A few weeks ago a coach posted on BT that his athlete only ran 7 miles (or something like that) as the longest run. Should I do at least one run 18-20 miles (that would be 4 hours for me) for the mental aspect, or are the risks too great?

6. Swimming is my best discipline (not that I'm great at it...but my swim splits are always relatively faster compared to the pack than my bike and running splits). Is there a minimum amount of yards per week I should put in. I would rather spend a lot more time biking than swimming. Should I be ok to swim 2x a week so I can get another bike workout in?

2016-01-23 11:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Originally posted by d.wilk

A few of questions:

1. I'm trying to hammer out my plan for the bike. As this will be my first time ironman, am I better to get in the longer efforts (100 miles plus) or is something like 80 miles (like StevenC mentioned) with higher efforts smarter and more effective?

2. Are 6 and 7 hour rides a month or two out effective or not necessarily needed?

I did IMLOU last year in October and i found that for the bike the training that worked for me was every weekend doing a 80+ ride, one 40-50+ mile ride during the week which took 3 hrs roughly. Lastly a group ride one night which was usually sub 30 miles whats nice about group rides is you can draft and sprint so i think of it as recovery training with high intensity intervals. The group i ride with has lots of hills that we all try to get KOM with via strava.

Anyhow for IM distance bike i did 6 century rides with two 100+ miles rides on a 4 day weekend from work a friday & monday ride through 95 degree heat and 80% humidity. BEST WEEKEND EVER, that was when i realized i can finish the bike leg with energy for the run. I got 2600 miles in before the race which was 900 short of what i wanted but i still felt great on race day.

Also are you planing on doing any brick workouts, i would highly suggest those even if its a quick bike then long run or vis versa.

Edited by slides 2016-01-23 11:55 AM
2016-01-23 12:10 PM

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Right now I'm building my own plan from looking at dozens of free plans. My budget isn't as large as i was hoping for this race season so the coach i wanted will have to wait until next year. Any how here is the break down of what i have created. This is a 20 week plan that has been put together as good as frankenstein.

Run- 2 short runs a week ranging from 2-5 miles on Tuesday & Friday with one long run on Sunday starting at 3 miles and going up 12 miles at a peak.

Bike- Recover bike Monday after the long weekend, it always feels good to spin the legs out. Longish distance ride on Wednesday & long ride at high intensity on Saturday. Bike time peaking at 3.5hrs on the plan right now but i will most likely do 70+ mile rides prior to race day.

Swim- Masters swim program 2-3x a week with one night being a lake swim after my first 70.3 this year.

This year i have also added weights into my plan. I have also decided to join a local running club this year, i found that with masters last year i really accelerated in my swimming and i hope the same can happen in my running.

Well training for me officially starts today so now I'm off to the gym!!!!
2016-01-23 3:45 PM

, Idaho

A few of questions:

I did IMLOU last year in October and i found that for the bike the training that worked for me was every weekend doing a 80+ ride, one 40-50+ mile ride during the week which took 3 hrs roughly. Lastly a group ride one night which was usually sub 30 miles whats nice about group rides is you can draft and sprint so i think of it as recovery training with high intensity intervals. The group i ride with has lots of hills that we all try to get KOM with via strava.

Anyhow for IM distance bike i did 6 century rides with two 100+ miles rides on a 4 day weekend from work a friday & monday ride through 95 degree heat and 80% humidity. BEST WEEKEND EVER, that was when i realized i can finish the bike leg with energy for the run. I got 2600 miles in before the race which was 900 short of what i wanted but i still felt great on race day.

Also are you planing on doing any brick workouts, i would highly suggest those even if its a quick bike then long run or vis versa.

Thanks Robert.

Definitely going to do some bricks.

What time frame did you get 2600 miles in (how many weeks/months)?

Group rides start for me in April (I'm in Idaho...so it's all pain cave right now).

2016-01-23 10:39 PM
in reply to: d.wilk

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota

A few of questions:

Thanks Robert.

Definitely going to do some bricks.

What time frame did you get 2600 miles in (how many weeks/months)?

Group rides start for me in April (I'm in Idaho...so it's all pain cave right now).

Im in Minnesota so i hear ya on training inside. i did the 2600 miles from April- Sept roughly. I was still able to bike outside most of last winter due to it being so mild and little snow. Race day was oct 11 so i did like 50-80 miles when i was tapering.
2016-01-24 12:19 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by d.wilk Hi Jim, I’d like to Join this group if it’s not too late. I’ve been following this thread, so I might as well jump in! Name – Dan Wilkerson Story – This will be my 4th year participating in triathlons. I have absolutely no athletic background and no genes for endurance sports, sadly. Up to this point it has been sprints and Olympics. I’m making the jump this year to an Ironman. Don’t know if that’s dumb or not, but I’m giving it a shot. I’m a 36 year old business owner with a super supportive wife and 4 great kids. Current Training – My focus right now is mainly biking and running. Running 5-6x week for 4.5-5.5 hrs, Biking 4x week for 6-8 hrs, Swim 1-2x per week…some weeks I skip swimming. 2016 Races – My year is centered around Ironman Vineman, July 30. I’ll be doing some sprints and Olympics also, but everything is focused on July 30. Might do the St. George Half on May 7, but more likely I’ll do the 70.6 distance on my own from home on that same day as it is 13 weeks from my Ironman. Weightloss – Big issue for me. I’m 6’0 and would like to be around 180 (probably less for race day), but I range between 210-230 throughout the year. Weight is a big frustration for me. Any suggestions are helpful.

Welcome Dan!  Glad that you can join us

2016-01-25 7:42 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by d.wilk A few of questions: 1. I'm trying to hammer out my plan for the bike. As this will be my first time ironman, am I better to get in the longer efforts (100 miles plus) or is something like 80 miles (like StevenC mentioned) with higher efforts smarter and more effective? 2. Are 6 and 7 hour rides a month or two out effective or not necessarily needed? 3. Since the bike is so important, how many hours a week should I put to it? I'm planning on 6-11 depending on the phase of my plan. Is that enough? 4. I'm focused on frequency of running instead of volume. I'll be 5-5.5 hours a week for a lot of my training. Is that enough? 5. Longest run question: I'm a slow runner. My easy/slow pace is around 4.8-5.2 miles per hour. Where should I put my longest run at? 2.5 hours? 3 hours? A lot of what I've read suggests that the longest run should be 2.5-3.1 hours. That doesn't give me many miles. Is that ok? A few weeks ago a coach posted on BT that his athlete only ran 7 miles (or something like that) as the longest run. Should I do at least one run 18-20 miles (that would be 4 hours for me) for the mental aspect, or are the risks too great? 6. Swimming is my best discipline (not that I'm great at it...but my swim splits are always relatively faster compared to the pack than my bike and running splits). Is there a minimum amount of yards per week I should put in. I would rather spend a lot more time biking than swimming. Should I be ok to swim 2x a week so I can get another bike workout in?

Its really hard to talk about the swim, bike and run in a vacuum for each sport and ask "is that enough".  It all depends on your background, race experience, current fitness, goals, time until A race, etc.  I'll start off with the easy one though.  Swimming 2x/week regardless of what plan you develop is not enough to build and maintain IM swim fitness.  I would recommend at least 3x/week.  Steve mentioned bike distance but he will still be doing some longer efforts.  His mention of 80 milers at higher intensity (vs longer ones at lower intensity) is something we've discussed for his situation (time availability, family considerations, etc).  It is not a one size fits all guideline.  The recovery required for long bike rides is nothing like the recovery required for long runs.  So, we can't just say since you're not doing 26.2 miles training runs that means I don't need long rides either.   

We can't just talk about hours for the bike and the run.  Intensity has to be considered as well.  5 hours of easy running a week is a different beast then running 3 hours easy and 2 hours of med/hard intensity.  If you're a beginning runner you likely should not be doing a 3 hour run in your first season.  The recovery cost is high.  Capping it at 2-2.5 hours might be more realistic.  It all depends on how durable your legs are.  But again, you have to consider what the other run hours in your program consist of.  As for recommending a longest run of only 7 miles did the coach give any details about the circumstances of the athlete - or the results of that type of training approach on race day?.  I personally would not recommend a max run of only 7 miles.  Again, it depends on the athlete.  Eventually, athletes have to do the work if they are going to tackle an IM.  So, if I can safely get my athletes to build up to 18-20 mile runs I will do that.

Sorry to be vague with these answers but asking is such and such enough can only be answered with "it depends....."

2016-01-25 11:52 AM

, Idaho

Sorry to be vague with these answers but asking is such and such enough can only be answered with "it depends....."

No problem, I totally understand that you have to speak in generalities. I appreciate any feedback I can get.

Thank you for your response!

Background/Race Experience/: I am completely in the first time Ironman category. As I mentioned, I've been doing sprints and Olympics the past 3 years. This Ironman will be my A Race this year.

3x per week swimming...Got that now. I'll back off the "forget swimming as much this first go round" mental attitude. My swim workouts are often 1800-2600 yards. So I can work towards 6000-8000 yards per week during training in the upcoming months and then building towards 10,000 yards toward the end. Does that sound reasonable? Too little? What might my longest swim session be...4500 yards...5000 yards?

I'll probably have to fit biking into 3x per week. What might those 3 rides look like? I'm thinking one ride for around and hour of hard/intervals, another ride of 2-3 hours, and one long ride. Do you think hill repeats or intervals are more beneficial? Perhaps I can mix hill repeats in with my 2-3 hour ride. How many hours a week minimum should a newbie spend biking (let' assume most of the efforts are moderate)?

Assuming that most of my running will be easy, how many hours minimum might I put in each week? I'm hesitant to do to do too much hard work as I don't have many years of base running. I've not had any injuries yet. I spend about 20% of my workouts mixing in harder work.

Thank you for your advice about not doing a 3 hr. run. 2.5 hours will put my longest run at about 12-13 miles.

On an earlier post, you advised against a marathon during IM training. What about a 1/2 marathon? I'm planning on running one 9 weeks out with family members.

Sorry to be so long in writing and asking so many questions...there is a lot I'm wondering about right now.
2016-01-25 12:11 PM

User image

for swimming, I was always advised to get in the water at least 3x per week to make gains. Even if you have to squeeze in shorter sessions vs. 2 long ones. It really helps me get a better feel for the water. My longest pool swim before IM was 4000 yards. Did that a 2-3 times and 1x OWS about 2.1 miles.

2016-01-25 12:42 PM
in reply to: 0

, Idaho
Originally posted by StevenC

for swimming, I was always advised to get in the water at least 3x per week to make gains. Even if you have to squeeze in shorter sessions vs. 2 long ones. It really helps me get a better feel for the water. My longest pool swim before IM was 4000 yards. Did that a 2-3 times and 1x OWS about 2.1 miles.

Thanks Steven. That makes a lot of sense. What were your yards per week like?

Edited by d.wilk 2016-01-25 12:43 PM
2016-01-25 2:18 PM

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
I have read mixed reviews on doing a long bike one day and a long run the next day. Some say its good to simulate race conditions by running on tired legs other say its bad.

With me all "long" workouts happen on the weekend with a bike on Sat and run on Sun.
2016-01-25 6:21 PM

User image

, California
Greetings!

My name is Jason and I have gotten sucked-in to the world of endurance racing just a few years ago. I used to only run when being chased, but about 4 years ago, I became a fan of running for enjoyment. After knocking out a few half-marathons, I did the LA Marathon in 2013. For a new challenge I decided to tackle triathlons and started with the Malibu International Tri in 2014. Since that went well, I signed up for the 2015 St George 70.3 not realizing how intense the climbs were. My goal was to survive and cross the finish line and I was pleased to finish in above-average time. That race was intense!

All of this seemed impossible (and insane) to me 5 years ago, yet I've signed up for the July 31 IM Maastricht 140.6. What am I thinking?!

My body seems to hold up fairly well, although I experienced my first muscle cramps in St George. I surf 1-4 days a week and try to keep in shape by running and biking when I can. My goal with my first full Ironman is to finish and take care of my body. Any and all advice is welcome for the best training strategies as well as doing a race overseas (e.g. bike transport vs. bike rental, etc.).

Thanks and I look forward to learning from those who are as "crazy" as I am!

~Jason
2016-01-25 8:49 PM
in reply to: jpalm

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jpalm Greetings! My name is Jason and I have gotten sucked-in to the world of endurance racing just a few years ago. I used to only run when being chased, but about 4 years ago, I became a fan of running for enjoyment. After knocking out a few half-marathons, I did the LA Marathon in 2013. For a new challenge I decided to tackle triathlons and started with the Malibu International Tri in 2014. Since that went well, I signed up for the 2015 St George 70.3 not realizing how intense the climbs were. My goal was to survive and cross the finish line and I was pleased to finish in above-average time. That race was intense! All of this seemed impossible (and insane) to me 5 years ago, yet I've signed up for the July 31 IM Maastricht 140.6. What am I thinking?! My body seems to hold up fairly well, although I experienced my first muscle cramps in St George. I surf 1-4 days a week and try to keep in shape by running and biking when I can. My goal with my first full Ironman is to finish and take care of my body. Any and all advice is welcome for the best training strategies as well as doing a race overseas (e.g. bike transport vs. bike rental, etc.). Thanks and I look forward to learning from those who are as "crazy" as I am! ~Jason

Welcome to the group Jason!  I think we're all crazy to some extent.....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 877 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1056 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31