BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2016-02-14 6:03 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)
How did everyones workouts go this weekend?

I'm going stir crazy with not being able to ride my tri bike until Friday after my fit. Having to put the miles on my road bike.

2016-02-15 9:05 AM
in reply to: slides

User image

Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)
I am a fair weather rider so I finally got outside on Friday for my first outdoor ride. Felt good and remembered to unclip! Unfortunately weather can't last in February so I just got a good deal on a used CycleOps fluid trainer. How important is it to use a trainer tire? I don't want to ruin my road tire but I just don't picture myself changing tires every time I want to ride it on the road. Aside from the ride I got 2000 meters in the pool Friday and 7.5 mile run on Saturday. Then we took my 4 year old roller skating for the first time. Today I am hoping to get on the trainer and maybe do some weights.

Hope you all had a good weekend!

Barbara
2016-02-15 9:25 AM
in reply to: bmarsh8386

Crap, between family in town, feels like 14 degree temperatures, and Valentine's day got nothing done. Excited for a work week on the road where I can get some uninterrupted work outs in.

Josh
2016-02-15 9:35 AM
in reply to: Jbaxter3

User image

West Des Moines, Iowa

I've been pushing pretty hard lately so I took Friday and Saturday off. Turns out it was some much needed rest. I'm starting to figure out that I can only do the 1 rest day / week pattern for 2-3 weeks then I need 2 consecutive days off to recover. 

Sunday was a nice long swim followed by 5 miles on the treadmill and then 2 hours indoor rock climbing. Back on the bike (i.e. the trainer) tonight!

2016-02-15 9:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Im training for Quassy. and IMMT,, I cant for the life of me figure out why the Half iron plan here on BT has over 12,000 yds of swimming in the first week?? No thanks!! bwhahahaha
Anyway. Much needed time on the bike drainer and dread mill too. Cant wait for the temps to get above 25 so I can get outdoors again!!!! Currently at
-13 so staying in today.

Edited by CarlG 2016-02-15 9:47 AM
2016-02-15 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by slides How did everyones workouts go this weekend? I'm going stir crazy with not being able to ride my tri bike until Friday after my fit. Having to put the miles on my road bike.

I had a good weekend. Saturday was exactly three months to Ironman Texas!  Other than the wind I can't complain about the weather in North Central Texas.  We're running in the 40's at night and mid 70's during the day.  Had a good run/bike/run workout on Friday and a strong run on Sat.  I'm starting to implement my nutrition plan now which will lead to some questions/discussion I'm sure.  Today is my off day because I have to move some workouts around, long bike tomorrow before I start night shift on Wed.  I don't like changing my plan around but 4.5 hrs on the bike after a 12 hr night shift wouldn't be pretty.

Have a great week!

2016-02-15 9:53 AM

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Originally posted by bmarsh8386

I am a fair weather rider so I finally got outside on Friday for my first outdoor ride. Felt good and remembered to unclip! Unfortunately weather can't last in February so I just got a good deal on a used CycleOps fluid trainer. How important is it to use a trainer tire? I don't want to ruin my road tire but I just don't picture myself changing tires every time I want to ride it on the road. Aside from the ride I got 2000 meters in the pool Friday and 7.5 mile run on Saturday. Then we took my 4 year old roller skating for the first time. Today I am hoping to get on the trainer and maybe do some weights.

Hope you all had a good weekend!

Barbara

I bought a trainer tire but still have yet to put it on. My rear tire from last year only had a couple hundred miles left on it anyhow so im just burning it down. I think it would be fine riding a trainer tire outside, consider the conditions are more harsh on the trainer with heat and pressure.
2016-02-15 9:59 AM

User image

West Des Moines, Iowa

I bought a trainer tire but still have yet to put it on. My rear tire from last year only had a couple hundred miles left on it anyhow so im just burning it down. I think it would be fine riding a trainer tire outside, consider the conditions are more harsh on the trainer with heat and pressure.

I really wouldn't recommend a trainer tire outside. Trainer tires are meant to take the heat from high friction without breaking down or damaging the tube, but isn't concerned with traction on road surfaces. I personally took a short ride on one last year (it's a black trainer tire, I wasn't paying attention) and learned the hard way that they don't give you much traction at all. 

The easiest thing to do is get a cheap second wheel and keep your trainer tire mounted on that one so you can swap back and forth with no effort. I bought a brand new wheel from my LBS for less than $100...there are tons of options on eBay, CL, Slowtwitch, etc. Plus it saves the hassle of mounting/re-mounting those super stiff trainer tires

2016-02-17 2:32 PM
in reply to: Wingspan

User image

Any thoughts about substituting the rowing machine for some swim workouts? I know there isn't a substitute for swimming but since my husband leaves for work so early in the morning that many of my workouts are limited to what I can do in the garage. I can usually get in two swim workouts but I could get on the rowing machine while my daughter is in dance or gymnastics. Since swimming is my stronger sport it is more about strength and endurance than technique.
2016-02-17 10:31 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by bmarsh8386 Any thoughts about substituting the rowing machine for some swim workouts? I know there isn't a substitute for swimming but since my husband leaves for work so early in the morning that many of my workouts are limited to what I can do in the garage. I can usually get in two swim workouts but I could get on the rowing machine while my daughter is in dance or gymnastics. Since swimming is my stronger sport it is more about strength and endurance than technique.

I guess rowing is better than nothing...but how about trying some tubing exercises instead.  Check out Sheila Taormina's videos   She has a variety of strength workouts using tubing

2016-02-18 3:21 PM

User image

Originally posted by Wingspan

I really wouldn't recommend a trainer tire outside. Trainer tires are meant to take the heat from high friction without breaking down or damaging the tube, but isn't concerned with traction on road surfaces. I personally took a short ride on one last year (it's a black trainer tire, I wasn't paying attention) and learned the hard way that they don't give you much traction at all. 

The easiest thing to do is get a cheap second wheel and keep your trainer tire mounted on that one so you can swap back and forth with no effort. I bought a brand new wheel from my LBS for less than $100...there are tons of options on eBay, CL, Slowtwitch, etc. Plus it saves the hassle of mounting/re-mounting those super stiff trainer tires

^^
This, I have a dedicated wheel and tire that I use just for the trainer. Bought used for super cheap. Just switch wheels when I need to hit the road, which takes 2 min.

2016-02-19 7:27 AM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Originally posted by StevenC

Originally posted by Wingspan

^^
This, I have a dedicated wheel and tire that I use just for the trainer. Bought used for super cheap. Just switch wheels when I need to hit the road, which takes 2 min.

Sounds like i should make some more room in the closet, apartment living sucks i need a house w/ a garage.
2016-02-19 4:52 PM

Okay,

So I know I have shared my new bike woes here already. I have been scouring the internet, craigslist, local shops, ebay and the classifieds here, ST etc. I just can't seem to find anything on what I'm willing to spend while we are trying to get a new house this year. In my research I did stumble across this product. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/road_bikes/mirage_sp... The mirage sport XV. Now unlike its entrylevel amazon counter parts it is a lot tougher to find a lot of reviews on this. I know the bikes are mass produced and difficult to upgrade component wise, but I am really just looking for something to get me through this season and then invest in a more long term frame next year when the wife doesn't have double vanities on the brain.

I don't know a WHOLE lot about bike specs etc and would love if you guys knew anything about these, or at least could take a look at the specs and let me know why this is a horrible decision or may tide me over until I can really invest.

Josh
2016-02-19 4:54 PM

Forgot the added perk that it comes in a 62 and at 6'4" finding a used bike that fits me CORRECTLY has been dang near impossible.
2016-02-20 5:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by Jbaxter3 Okay, So I know I have shared my new bike woes here already. I have been scouring the internet, craigslist, local shops, ebay and the classifieds here, ST etc. I just can't seem to find anything on what I'm willing to spend while we are trying to get a new house this year. In my research I did stumble across this product. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/road_bikes/mirage_sp... The mirage sport XV. Now unlike its entrylevel amazon counter parts it is a lot tougher to find a lot of reviews on this. I know the bikes are mass produced and difficult to upgrade component wise, but I am really just looking for something to get me through this season and then invest in a more long term frame next year when the wife doesn't have double vanities on the brain. I don't know a WHOLE lot about bike specs etc and would love if you guys knew anything about these, or at least could take a look at the specs and let me know why this is a horrible decision or may tide me over until I can really invest. Josh

A friend of mine who has small kids and not a lot of money purchased a Motobecane from BikesDirect and he really likes it.  It has carbon forks and 105 hardware, I think.  He's not any slower!

I purchased a soft tail mountain bike for my wife from BikeDirect.  It's heavy even for a soft tail but seems to be made well.  Easy to assemble.  Unfortunately it's a little too big for her so we're thinking about getting a smaller size in a 26" instead of 27.5 and selling this one.  

Check youtube.  I found a couple of vids there before I purchased.  

2016-02-20 8:18 AM

User image

West Des Moines, Iowa

Originally posted by Jbaxter3 Okay, So I know I have shared my new bike woes here already. I have been scouring the internet, craigslist, local shops, ebay and the classifieds here, ST etc. I just can't seem to find anything on what I'm willing to spend while we are trying to get a new house this year. In my research I did stumble across this product. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/road_bikes/mirage_sp... The mirage sport XV. Now unlike its entrylevel amazon counter parts it is a lot tougher to find a lot of reviews on this. I know the bikes are mass produced and difficult to upgrade component wise, but I am really just looking for something to get me through this season and then invest in a more long term frame next year when the wife doesn't have double vanities on the brain. I don't know a WHOLE lot about bike specs etc and would love if you guys knew anything about these, or at least could take a look at the specs and let me know why this is a horrible decision or may tide me over until I can really invest. Josh

6'5'' here...definitely felt your pain. 

Definitely add Facebook groups to your search. There's a group specifically for tall guys and a number of really active groups where a "WTB" or "ISO" post can churn up some good stuff. I would suggest trying the same approach on Slowtwitch...throw out your price point and specs, you never know what someone has laying around. A couple months ago, I saw a similar post on Mid-West Velo Swap (on FB) and found out that a local guy was selling a 62cm Fuji well within my price range...too bad I had already bought a bike!

Another option is to find a frame that fits you and build it yourself. Your entry point is cheaper, helps spread the cost out over time and gives you some flexibility in componentry...plus there's no better way to learn your bike than build it yourself. You do have the input cost of buying tools (or borrowing them from good friends), but those tools are useful in the long haul. I found a 61cm Cervelo P2-SL frame for very cheap on ST and was able to build a complete bike, including a really nice full carbon cockpit for under $600 without race wheels...add in a nice set of race wheels I sniped on eBay and I've got a full setup including two sets of wheels for just under $1100. Patience is key if you're going that route and of course it has to fit in your timeline...but there are VERY good deals to be found if you know how to look for them. If you decide to go this route, let me know...I've got some components sitting around that you can have next to nothing to get the build going. 

Alternatively, you can likely find a really good roadbike in a tall person friendly size and then add clip-on aero-bars. You end up with a really versatile setup that will ideally be friendly on the pocket-book and more than capable for racing. 

2016-02-20 9:52 PM
in reply to: CarlG

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by CarlG Im training for Quassy. and IMMT,, I cant for the life of me figure out why the Half iron plan here on BT has over 12,000 yds of swimming in the first week??  

You might double check and make sure the HIM plan loaded and not the Full IM plan.  I've done this two out of three times now and I never figured out if it was me or BT.  My first clue was the really long swims in the first month.

2016-02-21 6:56 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Thanks for your response, Yeah Im not sure what happend but it 1/2 ironman plans still loads with heavy swimming. No worries though. I have actually changed my training plan. I ve had good success with the Matt Fitzgerald plans so Im going with that.
2016-02-22 8:42 AM

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Originally posted by CarlG

Thanks for your response, Yeah Im not sure what happend but it 1/2 ironman plans still loads with heavy swimming. No worries though. I have actually changed my training plan. I ve had good success with the Matt Fitzgerald plans so Im going with that.

Which plan are you looking at from Matt Fitzgerald. I have been debating purchasing his 20 week level 4 70.3 plan.
2016-02-22 11:29 AM

That facebook group is great, thanks! I actually built my current bike(with a LOT of help from a local co-op when I lived in Knoxville) It's a vintage univega. Nothing special when it comes to components, but I learned a ton taking it apart to strip the paint and paint it, and then putting everything back on. It's just too small at 58" and the downtubes are driving me absolutely insane. After a lot of review reading and follow up I think I am most likely going to pull the trigger and buy the Motobecane Mirage XLS. Bike will be lighter and the upgrade to brifters is huge for me. Also spoke to a guy in one of my spin classes who has one and he loves it. I have to partially assemble it, and learning more about a more updated bike will prepare me well for when I do look at doing something a bit nicer. Will also focus on upgrading components that can move with me. Never had a brand new bike either so the allure of getting something right out of the box is super appealing. For those of you that are smaller I also found bikeisland.com which gives killer deals on damaged bikes(mostly paint scratches, just make sure it isnt missing a fork or something important! lol). Thanks for all the info though and will keep you updated on what I finally decide to do.

2016-02-22 11:49 AM

User image

West Des Moines, Iowa

Question for the group on pre/post workout stretching...

I come from a strong team sports background where you're taught to do a lot of static stretching before any form of dynamic exercise and usually some cool down stretching after a hard workout...which has pretty much been my routine ever since (25+ years now).

In recent discussions with some friends who are multi-marathon & 140.6 finishers, they were strong in dynamic stretching as opposed to static stretching...using a running example that I'm actually better off walking or light jog to loosen up before a long run instead of the old fashioned touch your toes, quad stretching, etc. I tried this out over the weekend as an experiment and really didn't notice much of a difference other than I feel a little more sore today than usual after a fairly middle of the road workout. Their argument (right, wrong or indifferent) was the body was meant to stretch itself out naturally through increased workload and that static stretching can have a negative performance impact. I'm not sure I fully agree...but it was an interesting discussion anyways. 

These guys also strongly recommended yoga for flexibility and recovery 1-2x per week which may play into the equation.

What do others do/recommend for stretching both before and after a workout? 

2016-02-22 12:59 PM

I tend to agree with your distance friends. Static stretching is embedded into us at an early age and so we tend to stick with it and think that touching our toes for 10 seconds before a workout will prevent injury. I am no PT or Dr, but from my personal experiences here is what they recommend:

Static Stretching for 10-15 minutes before any major workout, followed by warm-up period, in running this can involve keeping your HR down in the first 15-20 minutes of a longer distance run, doing some intervals(10x50 yards light on 10 seconds rest) etc, or a light jog. Walking for 10-15 minutes following a run is also very beneficial.

Biking spinning your legs out both before and after play a huge role in a successful workout and in swimming 600-800 yards of warm-up followed by a COOL DOWN! So many people finish a tough workout in the pool and immediately get out, it is so important to work some of that lactic acid out after a swim.

As a taller guy I have found that yoga helps out a ton with core strength and lower back issues. Also investing in a foam roller(lots of youtube videos on this) helped a ton this year.

But I am with you, this year will be a bigger year in research on stretching and recovery, there are so many different opinions, and when you are already trying to train 15-20 hours a week, spending a lot of time stretching is sometimes difficult. When pressed for time I try to really focus on my problem areas, back, core, and calves and then when I have some additional time like on the weekends I will really work hard to make sure I put in some effort on all areas.

Just my .02
2016-02-22 8:17 PM

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Originally posted by slides

Originally posted by CarlG

Which plan are you looking at from Matt Fitzgerald. I have been debating purchasing his 20 week level 4 70.3 plan.

You can Save your $$,,, all of his plans from sprint to Ironman are in his book. Im doing the level 7 Ironman plan.
His training book goes for about $12.99
2016-02-23 3:00 PM

User image

I am interested to hear more about the training plans people are using? I have the Matt Fitzgerald book but then I also have the 70.3 Iron Fit book. I like how that one gives slide days so that you know how to rearrange your workouts if something comes up.

Yesterday felt like a salvage job. I got to the pool at 3:40 and swim lessons start at 4. A little earlier and I would have tried to throw something together but not enough time until I got kicked out. I went to change into gym clothes but didn't bring pants Finally went home and did 30 minutes on the bike while my daughter was in gymnastics and 25 minutes on the rowing machine while she was in ballet. Better than nothing...

This weekend we are going to our cabin so will probably do cross country skiing and snow shoeing. I won't have access to a gym or a pool.
2016-02-25 7:59 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by bmarsh8386 This weekend we are going to our cabin so will probably do cross country skiing and snow shoeing. I won't have access to a gym or a pool.

The outdoors (especially on xc skis) is the best gym!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 873 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1053 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31