BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-04-05 7:44 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed

Originally posted by jmkizer

Ben - April Fools snow, huh?

Still throwing some at us again actually.

Edited by brigby1 2016-04-05 7:45 AM

2016-04-05 7:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by StaceyK Sooo I've been thinking that maybe seeing as K will be taken care of at the August event that we have planned maybe, just maybe I could tackle the Marathon instead of the half. This is just a toying with idea at present and I know the standard DOOOO EEEEETTTTTTTTT applies but seriously. What do you think? I have no consistent run training (yes my logs are up to date) but I can run/walk for 10km at present (not fast) and the event is 20 weeks and 4 days away. My thinking is that if you guys truly think it is doable then I could start training with that aim and if it doesn't go to plan I could drop back to the Half. What are your honest thoughts?

Staci, I think 20 weeks is plenty of time to build up to a marathon.  Given that 6 miles is your long run these days, I'd look at Higdon's novice 1 plan.  I think he starts out with the long run about that distance.

Thanks Ann-Marie and Dave. I have found a 20 week plan that builds a bit more slowly at the start and that fits in well with the other runs I have planned so I am going to use that.

And I think it's a no for those cool shoes - I put the 16s that I won on tonight and wandered around the house in them for about an hour my feet were not happy at all. Sore arches and numb toes not good.

Edited by StaceyK 2016-04-05 7:49 AM
2016-04-05 7:51 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by StaceyK

Sooo I've been thinking that maybe seeing as K will be taken care of at the August event that we have planned maybe, just maybe I could tackle the Marathon instead of the half. This is just a toying with idea at present and I know the standard DOOOO EEEEETTTTTTTTT applies but seriously. What do you think?

I have no consistent run training (yes my logs are up to date) but I can run/walk for 10km at present (not fast) and the event is 20 weeks and 4 days away. My thinking is that if you guys truly think it is doable then I could start training with that aim and if it doesn't go to plan I could drop back to the Half.

What are your honest thoughts?

I say doooo eeeeetttttt, but don't think about that backup plan for the half or else you're tired body/brain will talk you into that when the going gets tough. Make a plan for the marathon and get after it!!
2016-04-05 8:28 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK Sooo I've been thinking that maybe seeing as K will be taken care of at the August event that we have planned maybe, just maybe I could tackle the Marathon instead of the half. This is just a toying with idea at present and I know the standard DOOOO EEEEETTTTTTTTT applies but seriously. What do you think? I have no consistent run training (yes my logs are up to date) but I can run/walk for 10km at present (not fast) and the event is 20 weeks and 4 days away. My thinking is that if you guys truly think it is doable then I could start training with that aim and if it doesn't go to plan I could drop back to the Half. What are your honest thoughts?

Staci, I think 20 weeks is plenty of time to build up to a marathon.  Given that 6 miles is your long run these days, I'd look at Higdon's novice 1 plan.  I think he starts out with the long run about that distance.

Thanks Ann-Marie and Dave. I have found a 20 week plan that builds a bit more slowly at the start and that fits in well with the other runs I have planned so I am going to use that. And I think it's a no for those cool shoes - I put the 16s that I won on tonight and wandered around the house in them for about an hour my feet were not happy at all. Sore arches and numb toes not good.

Good to see you recognized that about the shoes!

Little more hesitant on saying to go for it. Even though 20 weeks may be enough time, take a look at what  you want out of all this. It's going to take a lot more running than I can remember you doing. Both frequency and distance. Right now, I saw the 10k as a run/walk, not an outright run. Over the past few months, I'm not sure you're quite average 1 run per week, let alone 4-5 or so that I think the plan being mentioned might have. It seems like questions such as this have come up before. Is that right, and will the previous things not be so much an issue this time around? I'm asking because as much we want to go do things, there have been a few members who did not have good experiences with that. Someone like Judi being rather notable in not wanting to do it again.

2016-04-05 8:59 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado

Mary G - Balance, we all have to find it.  For each of us, it’s different and for many of us, it’s a moving target and we have to adjust our training and goals/expectations accordingly.  

McMatt - I’m so glad that you are feeling better.  Did I see that you were able to run outside today?  Let us know when you are well enough that we can removed you from the DL.

Robin - Ear infection, ugh!  I hope that you are back in the pool soon!

Connor - Smoking race!  Congrats on your placement!  (big age range there!)

Dave - Congrats on the race! (did not see the race report, is it public?)

Stacey - It’s great the way that you were there to support K!

Sean - Awesome race! Way to find the short course speed with the long course training!

Judi - I know that you’ve struggled with your decision about tri (see Facebook).  It all goes back to what Mary said about balance.  I hope that you’ve found yours.

MR Matt and TJ - I hope that both of you are feeling better.

All - Pay attention, a new thread is coming soon!

Yes to everything Janyne said   Seriously, congratulations to all the racers, you all had great races, so well done!  

Hmm, I guess I'll have to find Judi on Facebook and friend request her to find out what the decision is -although I'm pretty confident I know. 

Re: Judi, it's in her BT log as well. I just saw it first on FB.

THANK YOU for all your support and encouragement.
Congrats to all the racers. I hope DLs are getting better. I am sooo happy I saw Steve's face and posts Robin, how's ear infection?
The weather is crazy... Snow storm on Saturday, 70+ with sun on Sunday, and back to 30s yesterday. 27 today....
2016-04-05 9:01 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Jet Black

Sooo I've been thinking that maybe seeing as K will be taken care of at the August event that we have planned maybe, just maybe I could tackle the Marathon instead of the half. This is just a toying with idea at present and I know the standard DOOOO EEEEETTTTTTTTT applies but seriously. What do you think?

I have no consistent run training (yes my logs are up to date) but I can run/walk for 10km at present (not fast) and the event is 20 weeks and 4 days away. My thinking is that if you guys truly think it is doable then I could start training with that aim and if it doesn't go to plan I could drop back to the Half.

What are your honest thoughts?

I say doooo eeeeetttttt, but don't think about that backup plan for the half or else you're tired body/brain will talk you into that when the going gets tough. Make a plan for the marathon and get after it!!

Definitely give it a try! Like you said, if after 18 weeks you don't feel like going 26 miles, you will at least have a strong base for half-m

2016-04-05 9:02 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Jet Black

Yes, the key here is to stay focused on the marathon plan.  DOOO EEETTT!!!!!

(and did I mention to stay focused?)

2016-04-05 9:03 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by QueenZipp

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Mary G - Balance, we all have to find it.  For each of us, it’s different and for many of us, it’s a moving target and we have to adjust our training and goals/expectations accordingly.  

McMatt - I’m so glad that you are feeling better.  Did I see that you were able to run outside today?  Let us know when you are well enough that we can removed you from the DL.

Robin - Ear infection, ugh!  I hope that you are back in the pool soon!

Connor - Smoking race!  Congrats on your placement!  (big age range there!)

Dave - Congrats on the race! (did not see the race report, is it public?)

Stacey - It’s great the way that you were there to support K!

Sean - Awesome race! Way to find the short course speed with the long course training!

Judi - I know that you’ve struggled with your decision about tri (see Facebook).  It all goes back to what Mary said about balance.  I hope that you’ve found yours.

MR Matt and TJ - I hope that both of you are feeling better.

All - Pay attention, a new thread is coming soon!

Yes to everything Janyne said   Seriously, congratulations to all the racers, you all had great races, so well done!  

Hmm, I guess I'll have to find Judi on Facebook and friend request her to find out what the decision is -although I'm pretty confident I know. 

Yes, do that.  I have decided to call the end of triathlon for me.  I no longer trust my legs to cooperate with a build of any sort without having to bail on races.  Time to get back to doing a little of this/ a little of that for my health and finding joy in running again.  (as opposed to the constant fear of injury and the rehab/ injury cycle)

I'm going to Aquabike the Williamsburg Rwv 3 because I simply can't trust them to build the run back.  After the, selling gear.  The Lovely Lola too...sad to sell her--but makes no sense to keep a full carbon try bike if I'm not doing triathlons.

I'm perfectly at peace with this decision.  It'r a realistic assessment of my health and life status that indicates these legs are toast.  Time to find a new path and haven in fitness.

Parting is such sweet sorrow, no? (with triathlon, not the pod, I hope!

I'm happy for you that you've figured out what you need and are making a positive decision to continue to pursue happiness in the best way for you.

Closing one door, while in some ways sad, opens others...

I hope (like some other "run only" folks of note) that you'll still pop in when you can and say hey to the pod!  (what kind of sounds do manatees make, anyway?)

My best to you, Judi. 

Matt

Oh!  I had assumed that Judi would stay with the pod!  We have plenty of single sport Manatees!

Of course I am staying with the pod!

BTW, I am giving up ALL racing.  Like I said, I can't trust my legs for a build.  I'm going to do strength and flexibility with enough SBR for cardio when I feel like it.

Judi, please be our one-sport-strength-flexibility-to go-person of the pod!
2016-04-05 9:04 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by brigby1

Thanks Ann-Marie and Dave. I have found a 20 week plan that builds a bit more slowly at the start and that fits in well with the other runs I have planned so I am going to use that. And I think it's a no for those cool shoes - I put the 16s that I won on tonight and wandered around the house in them for about an hour my feet were not happy at all. Sore arches and numb toes not good.

Little more hesitant on saying to go for it. Even though 20 weeks may be enough time, take a look at what  you want out of all this. It's going to take a lot more running than I can remember you doing. Both frequency and distance. Right now, I saw the 10k as a run/walk, not an outright run. Over the past few months, I'm not sure you're quite average 1 run per week, let alone 4-5 or so that I think the plan being mentioned might have. It seems like questions such as this have come up before. Is that right, and will the previous things not be so much an issue this time around? I'm asking because as much we want to go do things, there have been a few members who did not have good experiences with that. Someone like Judi being rather notable in not wanting to do it again.

I'm glad Ben said this, as I believe that what we sometimes think at the beginning is what may hurt us in the end. The hardest part for me personally has been to HONESTLY assess where I am so that I can figure out what I need to do to get to where I want to go. While I believe it is possible for you to do a 20 week training cycle to finish a marathon, I also believe that it is important to realize what toll it will take. Toll on the body, on the mind, on those around us, etc. Is your goal to finish a marathon? Or is your goal to finish a marathon, happy with the results and healthy in mind, body and spirit?

Personal case in point is a 6 hour ultra that is here in town in November. I'd like to do it, but I'm not sure I am able/willing to train to do it. I better figure that one out soon!

2016-04-05 9:20 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by cdban66

I'm glad Ben said this, as I believe that what we sometimes think at the beginning is what may hurt us in the end. The hardest part for me personally has been to HONESTLY assess where I am so that I can figure out what I need to do to get to where I want to go. While I believe it is possible for you to do a 20 week training cycle to finish a marathon, I also believe that it is important to realize what toll it will take. Toll on the body, on the mind, on those around us, etc. Is your goal to finish a marathon? Or is your goal to finish a marathon, happy with the results and healthy in mind, body and spirit?

Personal case in point is a 6 hour ultra that is here in town in November. I'd like to do it, but I'm not sure I am able/willing to train to do it. I better figure that one out soon!

This is actually what keeps happening to me... I have these beautiful goals and visions of finishing triathlons, Ironmans, whatever races, I have the plan and everything looks so perfect... until I realize that it would be perfect if I had no family, social life, work, and the love for naps
I guess it is very individual thing, like Chris said. The training seems possible - but you have to look through your personal experiences
2016-04-05 9:27 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Laura, so sorry about the pooch.  I hope you get some good news with the blood work and are able to spend some good time with Vivaldi regardless.

Matt

2016-04-05 9:31 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Got in the pool last night, admittedly a few weeks ahead of "plan."  Turns out that the rib is OK (not great, but OK) with swimming - especially if I don't get all sprinty.  Not a huge problem there...

What hurts are the open turns if I reach with my L arm.  So, I just made sure to touch with my R arm... and might have to learn how to do flip turns (they throw off my inner ear and make me way nauseated - not a problem doing them, just with not barfing after a few hundred).

So, I'm officially putting myself on the no-more-disabled-than-normal list.  I can train, just have to take it easy with a couple things.  Sooner than I hoped!

Matt

2016-04-05 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I'm going to throw my hat in this camp. Marathon is a big commitment. Can you do it? Absolutely! But know that training for it feels like having a part time job.

2016-04-05 9:49 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

I'm going to throw my hat in this camp. Marathon is a big commitment. Can you do it? Absolutely! But know that training for it feels like having a part time job.

I wouldn't say that it feels like a part time job.  I mean, it shouldn't.  It takes a time commitment, for sure but if you are only having as much fun as you are at work, well, maybe you need to find a better hobby.

2016-04-05 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

What ultra? 

2016-04-05 9:50 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I wouldn't say that it feels like a part time job.  I mean, it shouldn't.  It takes a time commitment, for sure but if you are only having as much fun as you are at work, well, maybe you need to find a better hobby.

....are you saying part time jobs are no fun....? ;p

2016-04-05 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Got in the pool last night, admittedly a few weeks ahead of "plan."  Turns out that the rib is OK (not great, but OK) with swimming - especially if I don't get all sprinty.  Not a huge problem there...

What hurts are the open turns if I reach with my L arm.  So, I just made sure to touch with my R arm... and might have to learn how to do flip turns (they throw off my inner ear and make me way nauseated - not a problem doing them, just with not barfing after a few hundred).

So, I'm officially putting myself on the no-more-disabled-than-normal list.  I can train, just have to take it easy with a couple things.  Sooner than I hoped!

Matt

Glad you're sorta kinda off the DL!  When i broke my ribs I found I could swim as long as I didn't fully extend, so my stroke was even uglier than normal. Other than that, the thing that hurt like a .... was getting out of the pool!   I also get nauseous when I do flip turns, so if you figure out how to do them without getting sick please let me know!!

2016-04-05 9:54 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83

Haha!  I'm saying that this is something that we do for fun and work often isn't all that much fun. 

2016-04-05 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Matt

Yay for progress and a decreased DL!!!

2016-04-05 10:04 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by marysia83

Haha!  I'm saying that this is something that we do for fun and work often isn't all that much fun. 

I know... but I had a hope
2016-04-05 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I need some help thinking through my replacement race.  I told DH I don't want to "settle" when choosing. It'll be hard to find a race that I will be as excited about as I was for Moab :,(  but I really want to look forward to my first ultra. The short list right now is: 

Option 1) May 1 near Montrose Colorado. We lived there for several years and it would be fun to visit. The race is very small, like 30 people. It's an out and back on dirt roads. Neither of those two aspects thrills me. The scenery will be pretty though.

Option 2) June 4 in the mountains outside Denver. It's much larger and is on single and double track in the wooded mountains. I'm more excited about the race itself on this one but it is so far out, calendar wise. I even wondered about switching gears and training for the 50 mile.

I did consider both, the first as a 50k and the second as a 50m but they aren't cheap and both require travel.

Thoughts?

2016-04-05 10:14 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Well, I meant that the time commitment feels like a part time job. But there are days... especially when I feel like my entire Saturday is consumed by the long run and I still need to get domestic chit done before the work week starts again.

2016-04-05 10:39 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

I need some help thinking through my replacement race.  I told DH I don't want to "settle" when choosing. It'll be hard to find a race that I will be as excited about as I was for Moab :,(  but I really want to look forward to my first ultra. The short list right now is: 

Option 1) May 1 near Montrose Colorado. We lived there for several years and it would be fun to visit. The race is very small, like 30 people. It's an out and back on dirt roads. Neither of those two aspects thrills me. The scenery will be pretty though.

Option 2) June 4 in the mountains outside Denver. It's much larger and is on single and double track in the wooded mountains. I'm more excited about the race itself on this one but it is so far out, calendar wise. I even wondered about switching gears and training for the 50 mile.

I did consider both, the first as a 50k and the second as a 50m but they aren't cheap and both require travel.

Thoughts?

Just the way you wrote the post makes me say option 2.  The question is does the prospect of keeping your mileage up -or increasing if you do the 50 miler, make you cringe or are you ok with the training load?

2016-04-05 10:45 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Wow, yes.  So much I want to say to people about marathon training....especially people who go in to their first thinking it will be okay....As many of you know I did a marathon in 2013.  My RR is public as are my logs.  Anyone who wants to dig around these is welcome to see the depths that marathon training brought me to.

There are some that this volume is "easy" for.  They manage all their training well or can modify without an issue.  This was NOT me.  No matter what I did, the volume was hard.  My run suffered.  I suffered mentally and physically through the training and wanted soooooo many times to bail.  Unfortunately, the prevailing attitude of "DOOOOO IIIIITTTTTT'" came through from my friends.  

There is a time and place for DO IT.  My response now to anyone who questions if they should DO IT for a marathon is to ask them to really look at their lives and the training volume required.  Evaluate their potential or real injury issues.  To carefully examine a bunch of training plans before locking into one and NOT be afraid to drop to an easier one.  

I wish I had never done the full.  It destroyed my run, it destroyed my love of running and it has left me with nagging issues in my legs that have now caused me to step back from all racing.  I don't ever want to rain on people parades who announce intention to train for a full, but I do want them to be realistic in their goals and expectations.  I want them to be realistic in looking at the training volume required and their lives outside of running.  It requires early morning running, less socialization, giving up weekends or other events in order to do this....you can only change up a marathon plan so much without totally messing things up.

2016-04-05 10:52 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

What ultra? 

Save the Daylight, November 5th. I have a support crew of one lined up currently. If you want in, that *might* be enough to push me over the edge of decision. There are multiple time lengths available, see the link in my log.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 883 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.