BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-02-11 8:12 AM
in reply to: #5157817

User image

Munich, Bayern
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed
Could you name a few healthy fats? I have a real difficulty with this issue.

2016-02-11 8:19 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner *Once you've spiced up the workouts, do what I call "chunking" when I work with kids. Don't think about getting through the whole workout, just that particular repeat, then the set. For example, today I had a workout with 200's, 150's and 100's. It was a pretty long workout, and I wasn't feeling that great. (Not sick, just cramps and maybe some cumulative fatigue, plus water was colder than I like and I was feeling a bit uncomfortable.) I would have quit if I thought, "Okay, I'm going to go swim 3300m." Instead, I thought, "Now I'm going to swim 200m easy. Now I'm going to swim 200m medium. 200m medium hard, 200m hard." It's much easier to focus on doing a good job on one repeat than contemplating a whole workout. I

Awesome post Karen!  I really like your explanation of "chunking."  I call that getting to the next water stop because that's how I ride things like BikeMS and Cycle NC -- just worry about the 20-30 miles until the next stop, repeat.  In fact, I do that when I run all of the time.  I get a few miles in and then start doing math.  I'm a quarter of the way, a third of the way, etc.  Let's see, half of 14 is 7 and half of 7 is 3.5.  Hey!  I'm already more than a quarter of the way done!  Woo hoo!

2016-02-11 8:22 AM
in reply to: Lighttower

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Lighttower Could you name a few healthy fats? I have a real difficulty with this issue.

Olive oil

Avacado

Coconut oil

Fatty fish like salmon, herring, sardines

Nuts

2016-02-11 8:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Atlantia
Originally posted by RookeyDavid Regarding the bike - probably a mixture of both. More a mindset of "that feels like enough, let's not push through the barrier". Swim-wise, I can jump in the pool and kick out 2000yds immediately. It's probably the intensity and variation of the workout sets that gets me and when I can't complete one aspect of it (for example, the kickboard stuff kills me), the rest of the workout seems moot so I call it a day. In talking this out, it seems like it's more a mental thing. Any ideas on how to break through that?
Sometimes when motivation is lacking, it can be helpful to go back and revisit WHY you picked your goal. If you aren't able to find a satisfactory answer, then you will likely have a hard time with motivation. If you do find your answer, hopefully the soul searching will have rekindled your motivation. Barring that....suck it up, buttercup.

Sometimes it's as simple as the bold.  When training in an endurance sport, where the goal is to make you tired so that you become less tired the next time, you're going to have some days where you want to throw your shoes out the window, sell your bike, and cancel your gym membership.  This is doubly so when starting out or training for an IM. 

Enjoy the peaks and endure the valleys.  If you can do those two things, then this sport gets a lot easier and more fun.

ETA: and everything that Karen said was really good.

Edited by msteiner 2016-02-11 8:54 AM
2016-02-11 8:54 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by RookeyDavid Regarding the bike - probably a mixture of both. More a mindset of "that feels like enough, let's not push through the barrier". Swim-wise, I can jump in the pool and kick out 2000yds immediately. It's probably the intensity and variation of the workout sets that gets me and when I can't complete one aspect of it (for example, the kickboard stuff kills me), the rest of the workout seems moot so I call it a day. In talking this out, it seems like it's more a mental thing. Any ideas on how to break through that?
Sometimes when motivation is lacking, it can be helpful to go back and revisit WHY you picked your goal. If you aren't able to find a satisfactory answer, then you will likely have a hard time with motivation. If you do find your answer, hopefully the soul searching will have rekindled your motivation. Barring that....suck it up, buttercup.

For me at the moment i am having some mental blocks and just getting it in is the most important part. So often i'll get started and tell myself that i only need to do 5 minutes and if after that i still don't want to do it, i can stop. And, I am letting go of the idea of doing the 'right' workout or 'good enough' works. Getting going can be the toughest part. There are a thousand and one other things to do. 

2016-02-11 8:55 AM
in reply to: #5166573

User image

Some great advice from everyone on my issue, despite the bluntness, so I appreciate it!

I can confidently say that I am a finisher/completer generally and my motivation to complete the first IM is to push myself to do something that most would consider not feasible. For myself, the journey to IM has changed my thought process as I progressed along the training path. Im doing this to nw prove to myself I can do it, but also have a time completion goal. The difficulty Im facing is somewhat down to motivation to complete the tough training sets because I think that I havent been venturing out of the typical mindset of a usual triathlete... just putting in time/hours/distance in all three disciplines.

My difficulty here is the variation of the sets which push me to fatigue far earlier than I am used to which causes the mental blockage of whether or not I can push to complete them.

Nutrition is also another huge part as pushing as hard as I can, I end up lethergic for most of the day which, as was mentioned earlier, takes the fun out of it!

I will speak with a nutritionist to see how my diet can be improved for someone on this workout load (which will more than likely increase my iron intake - this spurred the question about supllements) and perhaps dial down my traininh into more manageable chunks. When I cant complete the particular set I am tasked with, just got back to basics and complete the distance that was set. I also probably have been underestimating the power of rest... I slept from 6pm to 6am yesterday and feel ready to attack the world now!

Thanks for everyones help!

David

2016-02-11 9:05 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Hot Runner *Once you've spiced up the workouts, do what I call "chunking" when I work with kids. Don't think about getting through the whole workout, just that particular repeat, then the set. For example, today I had a workout with 200's, 150's and 100's. It was a pretty long workout, and I wasn't feeling that great. (Not sick, just cramps and maybe some cumulative fatigue, plus water was colder than I like and I was feeling a bit uncomfortable.) I would have quit if I thought, "Okay, I'm going to go swim 3300m." Instead, I thought, "Now I'm going to swim 200m easy. Now I'm going to swim 200m medium. 200m medium hard, 200m hard." It's much easier to focus on doing a good job on one repeat than contemplating a whole workout. I

Awesome post Karen!  I really like your explanation of "chunking."  I call that getting to the next water stop because that's how I ride things like BikeMS and Cycle NC -- just worry about the 20-30 miles until the next stop, repeat.  In fact, I do that when I run all of the time.  I get a few miles in and then start doing math.  I'm a quarter of the way, a third of the way, etc.  Let's see, half of 14 is 7 and half of 7 is 3.5.  Hey!  I'm already more than a quarter of the way done!  Woo hoo!

I do this too.  Thinking about a long workout or race can be intimidating, breaking things down into smaller, bite-sized pieces really can help.  In races like HMs I generally  think just get to mile 5, then 6.5, then 8 etc.  I even tell myself i just have to get to mile 12 cuz anyone can run 1 mile  

2016-02-11 9:07 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by juniperjen

For me at the moment i am having some mental blocks and just getting it in is the most important part. So often i'll get started and tell myself that i only need to do 5 minutes and if after that i still don't want to do it, i can stop. And, I am letting go of the idea of doing the 'right' workout or 'good enough' works. Getting going can be the toughest part. There are a thousand and one other things to do. 

A lot of good workouts have started out with mixed feelings. I'll get through the warm-up, which is typically 10-20 minutes. See how things are going from there. Nearly always I'll be feeling a lot better, but sometimes may still need a little more before being ready to really go after a workout.

2016-02-11 9:07 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

True.  And, I always tell myself I have never regretted doing a workout, but I always regret missing one. 

2016-02-11 9:13 AM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

I do this too.  Thinking about a long workout or race can be intimidating, breaking things down into smaller, bite-sized pieces really can help.  In races like HMs I generally  think just get to mile 5, then 6.5, then 8 etc.  I even tell myself i just have to get to mile 12 cuz anyone can run 1 mile  

I'll do that too. Take in more manageable size pieces of the workout. That doesn't mean stopping at these 1/4's or mile points, just only thinking more about that much of it.

2016-02-11 9:25 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

I'll do that too. Take in more manageable size pieces of the workout. That doesn't mean stopping at these 1/4's or mile points, just only thinking more about that much of it.

Good point on the not stopping. 

For me, it's also important that I phrase it to myself in the positive.  "I'm already a quarter of the way done!" and "Only 5k to go!"

2016-02-11 9:29 AM
in reply to: #5166585

User image

Master
"pushing as hard as I can,"

I was thinking of you on my run last night, the one where my legs were heavy for the entire thing, despite it being an easy pace. Sometimes they are like that--just get through it. I self talk, as many others have said. "You can do it, just keep going".
But your quote above has me thinking-should you be pushing that hard this early in your training? I mean if it is just fatigue and it makes you feel like you are pushing hard it is one thing. But going all out, all the time, is asking for trouble. This is where going by heart rate can be helpful. Anyway, it sounds like you have sound reasons for wanting to complete an IM. Don't forget to enjoy! And yes, rest is super important!
2016-02-11 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

True.  And, I always tell myself I have never regretted doing a workout, but I always regret missing one. 

That is so true!!
2016-02-11 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Good point on the not stopping. 

For me, it's also important that I phrase it to myself in the positive.  "I'm already a quarter of the way done!" and "Only 5k to go!"

Oh yeah, definitely no stopping!  And, I also do the "only x to go!" or "halfway there!" mind tricks.  I imagine when you do IMs these things are even more important. 

2016-02-11 10:36 AM
in reply to: IronOx

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IronOx "pushing as hard as I can," I was thinking of you on my run last night, the one where my legs were heavy for the entire thing, despite it being an easy pace. Sometimes they are like that--just get through it. I self talk, as many others have said. "You can do it, just keep going". But your quote above has me thinking-should you be pushing that hard this early in your training? I mean if it is just fatigue and it makes you feel like you are pushing hard it is one thing. But going all out, all the time, is asking for trouble. This is where going by heart rate can be helpful. Anyway, it sounds like you have sound reasons for wanting to complete an IM. Don't forget to enjoy! And yes, rest is super important!

I saw that too. Much of the training time should not be pushing anywhere near that. it's at an easy effort.The majority of the workouts should be easy to do. Not because you need to toughen up necessarily, but because the intensity level for them is rather low. You are not trying to set a PR, go hard, or even moderate much of the time. Just putting some time in and then in a select few workouts at most you'll be going hard.

At the beginning, maybe go at what seems too easy. Let the work come in and see how you feel after a little bit. This is another reason for longer warm-ups for me. Sometimes I go the other way and have a lot of energy to start. I need give some time to let the resistance come to me.

2016-02-11 10:47 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

You even break up a run into multiple different runs as seen on strava!!

2016-02-11 10:52 AM
in reply to: RookeyDavid

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by RookeyDavid Hi all :-) Thanks for the replies. Firstly, I haven't updated the logs for the last week or so, so should really do that soon :-)

The plan was a more generic one from a pretty reputable source. I think it might be more of a mental thing as NONE of the distances/workouts are ones that I wouldn't be able to push myself to complete, but I think the difficulty is getting to that point on each and every workout. Some examples are:

45 min swim, warm up (200easy free), 50 easy kick board, 8x200 free at T pace + 5 per 100 (last 200 is cool down). Alternate 50 hard kick between each 200, one on back, next on front and so on. Last 200 easy slow stroke to cool down. 2,200 yds at 2:03 pace. I completed 28 mins, 1000yds, 2:44 pace and stopped mid set on the 8x200 bit.

Curious where the plan is from, a BT one? Someplace else? 200 isn't nearly enough warm-up for me. The 200 pacing is 5" slower per 100 than what's likely your "mile" pace, so shouldn't be more than a moderate effort. The first one might not bee too hard at all. For the kicking, slow it down and just get through it. Don't take it out like you're escaping a shark. That's too much for you. Most people are awful at kicking and really don't have the conditioning for much of it, so it will become hard simply by the duration of it. Let the difficulty come to you on this one. I don't understand the "last 200 ez to c/d". It's in the set at the pace specified or the set becomes 7 x 200 plus a 200 c/d. I don't really understand what is meant with the 2,200 pace given (the 2:03) or the 1,000 pace. There is a substantial gap between them.

Another: bike - base endurance on the trainer. 1hr scheduled ride, 1/3 being strong Z2 effort. I completed 30 mins but was at around 80-90rpm throughout.

What are you using for effort? What's the 80-90 rpm supposed to signify? This is something you should be able to do every day of the week in almost any condition, so trying to figure out what's going on in making it that hard to do. It could very well be just going easier in the early going.

I wonder if I'm a) going into these too hard and burning out more quickly (not being able to identify between 70% and 90% effort, etc), b) letting my mind dictate how far I'm willing to push, c) lack the overall fitness to complete these consecutive workouts. At the moment, I have two workouts a day scheduled with one rest day and a brick on the weekend.

You very well could be. The 70% or so effort is something you'll work up to doing like 5 hrs on the bike and hopefully it isn't difficult to get through then. The first hour of these rides for me tends to feel too easy even though I'm actually working fine according to other means. I have a power meter to help with that and show what's going on. HR is there too to help, but power is more immediate.

For the Oly last year, I was a little under prepared as I just spent time in the shoes or pool with very little bike time. It's actually the main reason I started training hard two months ago in prep for the IM later this year, and went with a winter maintenance 11hr/week plan.
Perhaps adjust the mindset more to structured and focused instead of hard. The majority of the workouts should not be much of a challenge to get through. Pushing them too much leads to what you are seeing. Everything falls flat. Could be other things affecting this too, but this is one you certainly want to start figuring out.

2016-02-11 10:59 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by IronOx "pushing as hard as I can," I was thinking of you on my run last night, the one where my legs were heavy for the entire thing, despite it being an easy pace. Sometimes they are like that--just get through it. I self talk, as many others have said. "You can do it, just keep going". But your quote above has me thinking-should you be pushing that hard this early in your training? I mean if it is just fatigue and it makes you feel like you are pushing hard it is one thing. But going all out, all the time, is asking for trouble. This is where going by heart rate can be helpful. Anyway, it sounds like you have sound reasons for wanting to complete an IM. Don't forget to enjoy! And yes, rest is super important!

I saw that too. Much of the training time should not be pushing anywhere near that. it's at an easy effort.The majority of the workouts should be easy to do. Not because you need to toughen up necessarily, but because the intensity level for them is rather low. You are not trying to set a PR, go hard, or even moderate much of the time. Just putting some time in and then in a select few workouts at most you'll be going hard.

At the beginning, maybe go at what seems too easy. Let the work come in and see how you feel after a little bit. This is another reason for longer warm-ups for me. Sometimes I go the other way and have a lot of energy to start. I need give some time to let the resistance come to me.

Yeah, I was coming to the same conclusion.

David are you trying to increase your volume in addition to doing more taxing workouts? Probably not a good idea. Most of the workouts should be easy while building volume or at a high volume. You have to recover at some point.

As far as what I use for motivation, I always have to have some long term goal that is broken down into smaller goals. Knowing that if I miss a workout, I'm going to miss my short term goal, and thus possibly my long term goal, keeps me from skipping or quitting early.

This is what drives me right now. My training peaks annual plan.

If I miss a workout, then I'm going to miss my hourly goal for the week or I'm going to have to figure out where I can fit it in later in the week which is almost impossible. Or my chart is going to be ugly.
2016-02-11 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Lighttower Could you name a few healthy fats? I have a real difficulty with this issue.

Olive oil

Avacado

Coconut oil

Nuts

So, ummmmmm, would Reese's cups count?  Maybe not - just Snickers?  <snicker>

As for chunking and the like - love it.  The Better Half often says, "Run the mile you're in."  Shorthand for similar thinking and bears directly on race mentality - during a race or a hard (mentally or physically) workout.

It's not every workout where this happens, thankfully, and many are expressly the "run easy" types (of the "run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard" plan).  However, when you have to suck it up, you have to suck it up, and thinking small is something I find VERY helpful in getting through the big stuff.

Note - DO NOT suck it up to the point of injury.    Bad idea (speaking from experience). 

Matt

2016-02-11 11:42 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I was thinking about this conversation yesterday as I was DREADING my hill repeats.  I used a couple of the methods mentioned here: a) suck it up and get going and b) give myself the option to bail. But I didn't bail. Once I was going I just kept telling myself "only 5 more, only 4 more..."

I got an email from Coach Scott yesterday inviting me to Hot Yoga for endurance athletes. It's this Sunday from 1600-1715. I accepted the invitation. I've never done Hot Yoga before. Could be interesting. Especially with Scott and his crew.  I'm surprised he scheduled that late afternoon on Valentines day, but that's his problem to figure out

2016-02-11 11:43 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Olive oil

Avacado

Coconut oil

Nuts

So, ummmmmm, would Reese's cups count?  Maybe not - just Snickers? 

As for chunking and the like - love it.  The Better Half often says, "Run the mile you're in."  Shorthand for similar thinking and bears directly on race mentality - during a race or a hard (mentally or physically) workout.

It's not every workout where this happens, thankfully, and many are expressly the "run easy" types (of the "run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard" plan).  However, when you have to suck it up, you have to suck it up, and thinking small is something I find VERY helpful in getting through the big stuff.

Note - DO NOT suck it up to the point of injury.    Bad idea (speaking from experience). 

Matt

No bacon?!?!?!?!?!!??!

2016-02-11 11:54 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Jet Black

True!

2016-02-11 12:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by marysia83 Hey guys, have you seen this Ted Talk? I was wondering what you thing about it. Not about running without shoes, but about the concept of long distance running as "human thing". https://www.ted.com/talks/christopher_mcdougall_are_we_born_to_run?l...

I often wonder how the takeaway for a lot of people became almost exclusively about the shoes (or no shoes.

To me, it seems that he is a little all over the place and not really grounded in any real data in trying to relate his examples to his theories.  Like the tie between compassion and competition? What? 

But I think a bigger overall theme in his book is that for the Tarahumara, running is just a part of daily life. Shoes, no shoes, toe shoes, cushioned shoes - I bet if everyone ran daily, as a means to survive,  they would become very efficient, have an excellent understanding of their limits and get injured much less. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2016-02-11 12:02 PM
2016-02-11 12:04 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by melbo55

***We interrupt this wonderful tri-banter to announce:***

After less than 3 weeks on the market, it seems we may have just sold Dad's house!!!  I just told our realtor we will accept the cash offer we received yesterday.  My head is spinning!  Let the freak out commence!

***please return to your discussion***

Oh awesome! I'll bet that is a huge weight off your shoulders! 

2016-02-11 12:08 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jet Black

I should count therapy work as strength training, then log everything there to give you some competition.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 876 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.