BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-02-11 12:08 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed

Originally posted by rrrunner

I was thinking about this conversation yesterday as I was DREADING my hill repeats.  I used a couple of the methods mentioned here: a) suck it up and get going and b) give myself the option to bail. But I didn't bail. Once I was going I just kept telling myself "only 5 more, only 4 more..."

I got an email from Coach Scott yesterday inviting me to Hot Yoga for endurance athletes. It's this Sunday from 1600-1715. I accepted the invitation. I've never done Hot Yoga before. Could be interesting. Especially with Scott and his crew.  I'm surprised he scheduled that late afternoon on Valentines day, but that's his problem to figure out

Great job on the hill repeats!

Enjoy the yoga :-D

2016-02-11 12:13 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by marysia83 Hey guys, have you seen this Ted Talk? I was wondering what you thing about it. Not about running without shoes, but about the concept of long distance running as "human thing". https://www.ted.com/talks/christopher_mcdougall_are_we_born_to_run?l...

I often wonder how the takeaway for a lot of people became almost exclusively about the shoes (or no shoes.

To me, it seems that he is a little all over the place and not really grounded in any real data in trying to relate his examples to his theories.  Like the tie between compassion and competition? What? 

But I think a bigger overall theme in his book is that for the Tarahumara, running is just a part of daily life. Shoes, no shoes, toe shoes, cushioned shoes - I bet if everyone ran daily, as a means to survive,  they would become very efficient, have an excellent understanding of their limits and get injured much less. 

When I read the book the part of that whole discussion that I found most interesting was the breathing methodologies. It was interesting to me that animals breathing was more tied in to their gait than for humans. 

2016-02-11 12:15 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

***We interrupt this wonderful tri-banter to announce:***

After less than 3 weeks on the market, it seems we may have just sold Dad's house!!!  I just told our realtor we will accept the cash offer we received yesterday.  My head is spinning!  Let the freak out commence!

***please return to your discussion***

Oh awesome! I'll bet that is a huge weight off your shoulders! 

Wow! Nice! That was fast!

2016-02-11 12:38 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

After less than 3 weeks on the market, it seems we may have just sold Dad's house!!!  I just told our realtor we will accept the cash offer we received yesterday.  My head is spinning!  Let the freak out commence!

Yup!  I should get the contract to sign today and hopefully we'll close by or before mid-March.  Also hoping finalizing the rest of the estate stuff with the lawyer happens quickly, too.  I think it should; after all, the quicker it gets resolved the quicker he gets paid. 

2016-02-11 12:49 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Yup!  I should get the contract to sign today and hopefully we'll close by or before mid-March.  Also hoping finalizing the rest of the estate stuff with the lawyer happens quickly, too.  I think it should; after all, the quicker it gets resolved the quicker he gets paid. 

3 weeks?! SWEET!!

Hey all! I've been popping on now and then and reading posts but really busy these days so not posting much. carry on!
2016-02-11 1:31 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Lighttower Could you name a few healthy fats? I have a real difficulty with this issue.

Olive oil

Avacado

Coconut oil

Fatty fish like salmon, herring, sardines

Nuts

So, ummmmmm, would Reese's cups count?  Maybe not - just Snickers? 

As for chunking and the like - love it.  The Better Half often says, "Run the mile you're in."  Shorthand for similar thinking and bears directly on race mentality - during a race or a hard (mentally or physically) workout.

It's not every workout where this happens, thankfully, and many are expressly the "run easy" types (of the "run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard" plan).  However, when you have to suck it up, you have to suck it up, and thinking small is something I find VERY helpful in getting through the big stuff.

Note - DO NOT suck it up to the point of injury.    Bad idea (speaking from experience). 

Matt

No bacon?!?!?!?!?!!??!

Bacon is at the top of my healthy fats. Next to the craft beer. (please don't tell me beer is not fat...)

2016-02-11 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I was thinking about this conversation yesterday as I was DREADING my hill repeats.  I used a couple of the methods mentioned here: a) suck it up and get going and b) give myself the option to bail. But I didn't bail. Once I was going I just kept telling myself "only 5 more, only 4 more..."

I got an email from Coach Scott yesterday inviting me to Hot Yoga for endurance athletes. It's this Sunday from 1600-1715. I accepted the invitation. I've never done Hot Yoga before. Could be interesting. Especially with Scott and his crew.  I'm surprised he scheduled that late afternoon on Valentines day, but that's his problem to figure out

hot yoga scares me!

2016-02-11 1:33 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Hot Runner *Once you've spiced up the workouts, do what I call "chunking" when I work with kids. Don't think about getting through the whole workout, just that particular repeat, then the set. For example, today I had a workout with 200's, 150's and 100's. It was a pretty long workout, and I wasn't feeling that great. (Not sick, just cramps and maybe some cumulative fatigue, plus water was colder than I like and I was feeling a bit uncomfortable.) I would have quit if I thought, "Okay, I'm going to go swim 3300m." Instead, I thought, "Now I'm going to swim 200m easy. Now I'm going to swim 200m medium. 200m medium hard, 200m hard." It's much easier to focus on doing a good job on one repeat than contemplating a whole workout. I

Awesome post Karen!  I really like your explanation of "chunking."  I call that getting to the next water stop because that's how I ride things like BikeMS and Cycle NC -- just worry about the 20-30 miles until the next stop, repeat.  In fact, I do that when I run all of the time.  I get a few miles in and then start doing math.  I'm a quarter of the way, a third of the way, etc.  Let's see, half of 14 is 7 and half of 7 is 3.5.  Hey!  I'm already more than a quarter of the way done!  Woo hoo!

I do this too.  Thinking about a long workout or race can be intimidating, breaking things down into smaller, bite-sized pieces really can help.  In races like HMs I generally  think just get to mile 5, then 6.5, then 8 etc.  I even tell myself i just have to get to mile 12 cuz anyone can run 1 mile  

You even break up a run into multiple different runs as seen on strava!!

I should count therapy work as strength training, then log everything there to give you some competition.

I remember my shoulder PT, it is definitely a work out and should count!!

2016-02-11 1:34 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by Lighttower Could you name a few healthy fats? I have a real difficulty with this issue.

Olive oil

Avacado

Coconut oil

Nuts

As for chunking and the like - love it.  The Better Half often says, "Run the mile you're in."  Shorthand for similar thinking and bears directly on race mentality - during a race or a hard (mentally or physically) workout.

It's not every workout where this happens, thankfully, and many are expressly the "run easy" types (of the "run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard" plan).  However, when you have to suck it up, you have to suck it up, and thinking small is something I find VERY helpful in getting through the big stuff.

Note - DO NOT suck it up to the point of injury.    Bad idea (speaking from experience). 

Matt

No bacon?!?!?!?!?!!??!

Bacon is at the top of my healthy fats. Next to the craft beer. (please don't tell me beer is not fat...)

beer is health food! That's my story and I'm sticking to it

2016-02-11 1:36 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by marysia83 Hey guys, have you seen this Ted Talk? I was wondering what you thing about it. Not about running without shoes, but about the concept of long distance running as "human thing". https://www.ted.com/talks/christopher_mcdougall_are_we_born_to_run?l...

I often wonder how the takeaway for a lot of people became almost exclusively about the shoes (or no shoes.

To me, it seems that he is a little all over the place and not really grounded in any real data in trying to relate his examples to his theories.  Like the tie between compassion and competition? What? 

But I think a bigger overall theme in his book is that for the Tarahumara, running is just a part of daily life. Shoes, no shoes, toe shoes, cushioned shoes - I bet if everyone ran daily, as a means to survive,  they would become very efficient, have an excellent understanding of their limits and get injured much less. 

As for shoes vs. no shoes we need to keep in mind how our feet (and other body parts) evolve and "adjust" to the environment. If we all now get rid of shoes it will be the first and last day. If Tarahumara is given shoes and has to wear them, it could be their first and last day of wearing them. If one wants to run without them, then it has to be graduate process.

I like what he mentioned about the way scientists figured it out.
2016-02-11 1:39 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by IronOx

What are you going to do on race day when the going gets tough?  To me, the mental aspect of IM is the most difficult part.  You WILL want to quit.  I guarantee it.  Finding a way to ignore that voice and carry on is the key.  

^This.

Guys, you scare me with your Ironman posts... I know I still have about five years, but it does not seem easy-breezy at all

2016-02-11 1:42 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by Hot Runner *Once you've spiced up the workouts, do what I call "chunking" when I work with kids. Don't think about getting through the whole workout, just that particular repeat, then the set. For example, today I had a workout with 200's, 150's and 100's. It was a pretty long workout, and I wasn't feeling that great. (Not sick, just cramps and maybe some cumulative fatigue, plus water was colder than I like and I was feeling a bit uncomfortable.) I would have quit if I thought, "Okay, I'm going to go swim 3300m." Instead, I thought, "Now I'm going to swim 200m easy. Now I'm going to swim 200m medium. 200m medium hard, 200m hard." It's much easier to focus on doing a good job on one repeat than contemplating a whole workout. I

Awesome post Karen!  I really like your explanation of "chunking."  I call that getting to the next water stop because that's how I ride things like BikeMS and Cycle NC -- just worry about the 20-30 miles until the next stop, repeat.  In fact, I do that when I run all of the time.  I get a few miles in and then start doing math.  I'm a quarter of the way, a third of the way, etc.  Let's see, half of 14 is 7 and half of 7 is 3.5.  Hey!  I'm already more than a quarter of the way done!  Woo hoo!

I do this too.  Thinking about a long workout or race can be intimidating, breaking things down into smaller, bite-sized pieces really can help.  In races like HMs I generally  think just get to mile 5, then 6.5, then 8 etc.  I even tell myself i just have to get to mile 12 cuz anyone can run 1 mile  

Wait, I thought the race starts at mile 12.... ;p
2016-02-11 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Olive oil

Avacado

Coconut oil

Nuts

Matt

No bacon?!?!?!?!?!!??!

beer is health food! That's my story and I'm sticking to it

True that!

The Health Benefits of Beer

2016-02-11 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

As for shoes vs. no shoes we need to keep in mind how our feet (and other body parts) evolve and "adjust" to the environment. If we all now get rid of shoes it will be the first and last day. If Tarahumara is given shoes and has to wear them, it could be their first and last day of wearing them. If one wants to run without them, then it has to be graduate process. I like what he mentioned about the way scientists figured it out.

My feet have evolved to need orthotic intervention

2016-02-11 1:47 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchkHey all! I've been popping on now and then and reading posts but really busy these days so not posting much. carry on!

Thanks for the Proof of Life post!

2016-02-11 1:50 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle

Olive oil

Avacado

Coconut oil

Nuts

Matt

Matt, I don't think I got to say welcome back yet, so WELCOME BACK! It's great to "see" ya.

I too like the idea of "chunking." It allows you to focus on one thing at a time, much like goals in life. If you think about the thing as a whole it seems impossible! Breaking it up into smaller manageable chunks is the way to go.

In fact, I was just thinking about this when talking about the track racing I have done. People often say, "Ohhh wow, 8 laps (or 12, 16 etc etc) on the track! Doesn't that get boring???" But in my experience it's quite the opposite! Sometimes my small goal is to hit a certain pace at the lap, so say 88 seconds. I run the lap and look at the clock. Maybe I hit 92 seconds, maybe I hit 87! But you know what is cool? I get to go try it again and hopefully make the adjustment if needed. Then again, and again. Making small adjustments. Then you get a win, you hit it right on! Or maybe it's not time based and it's form. You can say, "I want to make it through this entire lap without tensing up my shoulders."  The possibilities are endless and it's not just mindless time passing but proactively getting better at running, mile by mile, lap by lap, step by step.

AS people have mentioned, most important is that the overall goal still makes sense and you are still excited about it. If that's not the case then you might want to consider a different goal. And that's okay! I came to find that triathlon was not one of those things I was excited about so I switched my focus to running. 

If it's not an issue with the goal it's likely just the way you are going about it. Everyone is different but at the core you do need to enjoy what you are doing. Try and identify how to do that and you will be successful. 

2016-02-11 1:54 PM

User image

Seattle

As for shoes vs. no shoes we need to keep in mind how our feet (and other body parts) evolve and "adjust" to the environment. If we all now get rid of shoes it will be the first and last day. If Tarahumara is given shoes and has to wear them, it could be their first and last day of wearing them. If one wants to run without them, then it has to be graduate process. I like what he mentioned about the way scientists figured it out.

Yeah, haha for sure. And even taking that concept back away from the shoes/no shoes.

One can't just jump into a 200 mile run. But if one allows for the gradual evolution and make small adjustments day after day, consistencly, the impossible starts to become more and more possible. 

2016-02-11 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

hot yoga scares me!

Me too. I guess I'm facing that fear.

2016-02-11 2:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado

Olive oil

Avacado

Coconut oil

Nuts

Matt

Matt, I don't think I got to say welcome back yet, so WELCOME BACK! It's great to "see" ya.

I too like the idea of "chunking." It allows you to focus on one thing at a time, much like goals in life. If you think about the thing as a whole it seems impossible! Breaking it up into smaller manageable chunks is the way to go.

In fact, I was just thinking about this when talking about the track racing I have done. People often say, "Ohhh wow, 8 laps (or 12, 16 etc etc) on the track! Doesn't that get boring???" But in my experience it's quite the opposite! Sometimes my small goal is to hit a certain pace at the lap, so say 88 seconds. I run the lap and look at the clock. Maybe I hit 92 seconds, maybe I hit 87! But you know what is cool? I get to go try it again and hopefully make the adjustment if needed. Then again, and again. Making small adjustments. Then you get a win, you hit it right on! Or maybe it's not time based and it's form. You can say, "I want to make it through this entire lap without tensing up my shoulders."  The possibilities are endless and it's not just mindless time passing but proactively getting better at running, mile by mile, lap by lap, step by step.

AS people have mentioned, most important is that the overall goal still makes sense and you are still excited about it. If that's not the case then you might want to consider a different goal. And that's okay! I came to find that triathlon was not one of those things I was excited about so I switched my focus to running. 

If it's not an issue with the goal it's likely just the way you are going about it. Everyone is different but at the core you do need to enjoy what you are doing. Try and identify how to do that and you will be successful. 

This is what I like about this group: heyy, we have fun!! And in addition to that, we also swim, bike, and run. Fun and joy is part of this sport.

Edited by marysia83 2016-02-11 2:04 PM
2016-02-11 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yeah, haha for sure. And even taking that concept back away from the shoes/no shoes.

One can't just jump into a 200 mile run. But if one allows for the gradual evolution and make small adjustments day after day, consistencly, the impossible starts to become more and more possible. 

Both our bodies and our minds adapt. A year ago at this time I was running less miles than I am now and thought it was soooo much. I thought my 8 mile midweek run was a lot and my 16-18-20 mile long runs were a lot. Now an 8 mile mid week run doesn't  seem all that difficult and a 16 mile long run is short! It's amazing how we adapt with consistency in training.

2016-02-11 2:54 PM

Master
Northern IL

Olive oil

Avacado

Coconut oil

Nuts

Matt

This is what I like about this group: heyy, we have fun!! And in addition to that, we also swim, bike, and run. Fun and joy is part of this sport.

In Adrienne's post I kept seeing "goals" as "goats" and it still makes sense.

2016-02-11 2:57 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IronOx What are you going to do on race day when the going gets tough?  To me, the mental aspect of IM is the most difficult part.  You WILL want to quit.  I guarantee it.  Finding a way to ignore that voice and carry on is the key.  
^This.
Guys, you scare me with your Ironman posts... I know I still have about five years, but it does not seem easy-breezy at all

With where you're at, no, it wouldn't be easy. To do well and enjoy the experience it can take some time to simply learn how to manage a larger training load. It's both your body adapting and you learning about yourself. That's what some people miss when jumping in really fast. Being a 1 and done type with it is fine, but for longer term it tends to work better to stay more within yourself. Push at times, but careful of fantastical leaps.

2016-02-11 3:10 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by IronOx

What are you going to do on race day when the going gets tough?  To me, the mental aspect of IM is the most difficult part.  You WILL want to quit.  I guarantee it.  Finding a way to ignore that voice and carry on is the key.  

^This.

it's so worth it.
2016-02-11 3:17 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Olive oil

Avacado

Coconut oil

Nuts

Matt

In Adrienne's post I kept seeing "goals" as "goats" and it still makes sense.

That's funny! I had to go back and read it with "goats".

2016-02-11 3:25 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by IronOx What are you going to do on race day when the going gets tough?  To me, the mental aspect of IM is the most difficult part.  You WILL want to quit.  I guarantee it.  Finding a way to ignore that voice and carry on is the key.  
^This.

With where you're at, no, it wouldn't be easy. To do well and enjoy the experience it can take some time to simply learn how to manage a larger training load. It's both your body adapting and you learning about yourself. That's what some people miss when jumping in really fast. Being a 1 and done type with it is fine, but for longer term it tends to work better to stay more within yourself. Push at times, but careful of fantastical leaps.

This is very true. I wanted to knock out an IM my first year in tri. Could I have done it? Sure, but it would have been a much worse experience I'm sure. Based on my ability to handle increased training load, it takes time.

Just as TJ mentioned, I thought I was doing a lot last summer/early fall. My body was having a hard time with it. Well I'm probably doing 1.5-2x as much now and my body is responding better than it did last year.

Slow progressive loading works!! Don't rush it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 866 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.