BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-12-26 9:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: 1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN
GROUP FOCUS: entry level triathletes and those experienced athletes looking for their first podium. Experienced with sprint, olympic, off-road (xterra) and long course distances.

NAME: User name: TZCoaching - Name: Tony

STORY: I feel I've been racing my whole life! I started when I was 16 in high school with a mountain bike triathlon and mountain bike races, and have been racing every year since (I just turned 34!). Love the sport. The passion, energy and motivation it gives people both in the sport and that transfers over into their personal & professional lives is inspiring. Which, led to the motto my my coaching business; "transforming lives, one race at a time".

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 9 years, no kids. Although we do run a full time petting zoo at home with 2 little cats and 2 big dogs - a black lab and golden retriever!

CURRENT TRAINING: How you train in general (what race distances in 2013 or any races so far in 2014, technical or not)

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2015 I raced the Sea Otter Classic mountain bike race (done it every year since 1998! - highly recommend that EVERYONE who loves a bike go check it out. It's the funnest weekend!). Also did an Xterra race and Chicago open age group ITU triahtlon.

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: Sea Otter in April of course! The 2016 plan is a couple of Xterra's and the off road ITU national championships hoping to qualify for Worlds in 2017.

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to shed about 15 - 20 pounds this year. I usually gain around 10 every off season, but I never lost the 10 from last year (after having back surgery) so finally decided I need to lean back out this year.

Edited by tzcoaching 2016-01-05 9:25 PM

2016-01-03 3:28 PM
in reply to: #5157982

Subject: RE: Triathlete Support Group powered by TZCoaching - OPEN
Hi Tony,

My name is Jackie and I'm a beginner triathlete. Beginner as in im going to do my first sprint tri-Athlon this year in texas. I'm not sure how this mentor group works but I would love to join if I can. Thanks :-)
2016-01-04 10:27 PM
in reply to: #5158869

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: RE: Triathlete Support Group powered by TZCoaching - OPEN
Hi there!

Welcome the group and to triathlons! The group is as easy as just introducing yourself and ask any questions you might have.

Happy to help!
2016-01-08 12:18 AM
in reply to: tzcoaching

Subject: RE: 1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN

Hello Tony (&all)!
I'm brand new to this and I have a million questions. I'm looking at my first triathlon the end of April. I'm not even sure the training plan I'm on is ok. It's kind of a shot in the dark for me. I am working towards a sprint- 1000m pool-20k road ride- and 5k run.

I have done some bike tours/races in the past, although I was not experienced in this either. I have also done a handful on 5k's. I am in relatively decent shape, workout 5x's a week-lifting and then that said triathlon plan.

Any and all guidance/feedback would be appreciated!
2016-01-14 10:49 AM

User image

Statesville , North Carolina
Good afternoon all! My name is Brett and I have very little experience with endurance racing. I have 2 half marathons and one OLY tri under my belt. Last race was this past February which was a half marathon. Just moved to NC and got the itch to get back at it (aka got a new bike! Haha) I am up about 50lbs from my lightest weight and desperately need to get it back under control. No races planned for this year just training and focusing on getting back in shape. Been on the trainer a few times the last couple weeks but with a wife new house and 3 kids under 9 it's gets difficult to get time in. Happy training!
2016-01-14 9:46 PM
in reply to: nmoore03

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Originally posted by nmoore03

Hello Tony (&all)!
I'm brand new to this and I have a million questions. I'm looking at my first triathlon the end of April. I'm not even sure the training plan I'm on is ok. It's kind of a shot in the dark for me. I am working towards a sprint- 1000m pool-20k road ride- and 5k run.

I have done some bike tours/races in the past, although I was not experienced in this either. I have also done a handful on 5k's. I am in relatively decent shape, workout 5x's a week-lifting and then that said triathlon plan.

Any and all guidance/feedback would be appreciated!

Welcome! Sounds like your already consistent with 5x a week; so that's a great start and really the key to succeess!

Any questions let me know!

2016-01-14 9:51 PM
in reply to: BrettT

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Originally posted by BrettT

Good afternoon all! My name is Brett and I have very little experience with endurance racing. I have 2 half marathons and one OLY tri under my belt. Last race was this past February which was a half marathon. Just moved to NC and got the itch to get back at it (aka got a new bike! Haha) I am up about 50lbs from my lightest weight and desperately need to get it back under control. No races planned for this year just training and focusing on getting back in shape. Been on the trainer a few times the last couple weeks but with a wife new house and 3 kids under 9 it's gets difficult to get time in. Happy training!

Hey Brett! 2 1/2 marathons is some experience with endurance racing! And an Oly; so your off to a great start!

Just getting in some training and being consistent with it will be great! 30 minutes a day x 3 times a week is better then 90 minutes once a week; so hopefully that helps with your busy schedule!
2016-01-23 6:05 PM
in reply to: #5161730

User image

Statesville , North Carolina
Well we finally got moved in to our new house. Now it time to get my side of the garage set up. (Aka new work bench to work on my bikes.) Can't wait to get it all done and have room to set up the trainer.
2016-01-24 10:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Nice, congrats on the new house!
2016-01-31 11:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Rainy day in southern California so likely planning on some running outside and maybe a trainer ride!

How's training and your plans going! ?!
2016-01-31 8:32 PM
in reply to: 0

Lawrenceville, Georgia
Hi,
I'm a beginner with some running experience. I completed an indoor Tri in January at my local Gym and have now decided to take it outdoors...YIKES!!! I'm a bit...ok a hole lot scared of the swim and biking because I have not done anything like this before. I've recently started riding outdoors with a group but that's only once a week. I'm trying to train each discipline 2x per week but now feel like I need to be doing more to be able to complete the Sprint race I registered for in April. 600 yard Swim 15 mile Bike 5K Run. The problem is that I lack time. I'm a mother, wife and full time employee. I try to break up my workouts to fit into my lifestyle and I'm feeling like is not enough, I'm I overacting?

My plan is basically this: Run 3x week, Cycle/Spin 2x week and Swim 2x a week. Some of the workouts focused on speed, the other on endurance. My biggest area of concern is the swim. I can currently only swim 200 meters without stopping. What can I do to increase my endurance, better my technique and is April to soon for me to be doing this?

Any help, advise would be most appreciated!

Edited by [email protected] 2016-01-31 8:34 PM

2016-01-31 8:34 PM

Lawrenceville, Georgia
Hi Tony,
I'm a beginner with some running experience. I completed an indoor Tri in January at my local Gym and have now decided to take it outdoors...YIKES!!! I'm a bit...ok a hole lot scared of the swim and biking because I have not done anything like this before. I've recently started riding outdoors with a group but that's only once a week. I'm trying to train each discipline 2x per week but now feel like I need to be doing more to be able to complete the Sprint race I registered for in April. 600 yard Swim 15 mile Bike 5K Run. The problem is that I lack time. I'm a mother, wife and full time employee. I try to break up my workouts to fit into my lifestyle and I'm feeling like is not enough, I'm I overacting?

My plan is basically this: Run 3x week, Cycle/Spin 2x week and Swim 2x a week. Some of the workouts focused on speed, the other on endurance. My biggest area of concern is the swim. I can currently only swim 200 meters without stopping. What can I do to increase my endurance, better my technique and is April to soon for me to be doing this?

2016-02-01 3:19 PM

I'd like to join this group. Here's the brief...

35yo male, 5'9", 165lbs

I workout in the gym more than anything, but it's a wide variety of movements, resistance, and differing levels of aerobic output (mostly in the anaerobic state). I have done 2 sprints (2008, 2014) and my goal is to get on the podium this year. In 2014, I was in 4th place by 1 minute...so frustrating! Btw, I'm an off-road triathloner (Xterra series), so all of my races are reservoir/lake, single track ride and trail running.

My strength is in my legs and endurance. I may not be the fastest on the course, but I can last longer than most.

My weaknesses are running and swimming. My 750m open water time is right around 18mins and my 5k trail run is around 30mins. Swim technique (efficiency and power) is my main focus.
2016-02-01 5:04 PM

Subject: Any training programs to recommend?
I'm looking for a training program that will have me ready by July for some off-road tris. I can dedicate 2x per week to swimming, 3x per week to running, and 3x per week to biking. Any suggestions?
2016-02-01 9:58 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Originally posted by [email protected]

Hi,

Hi there! you aren't overreacting...

With a 3 run / 2 bike / 2 swim schedule a week you'll be plenty prepared by April for a sprint tri! Unless you plan on being in the top 20 finishers; sprint tri's are ALL about consistency. It's a short enough distance that's very manageable for new comers; by the time you realize your getting tired on the swim, you'll be done. Same goes with the bike and run! It goes my quick.

So the best advice is to stay consistent with that schedule; keep working on the swim (maybe add in a 3rd day every other week and only do 2 runs those weeks) and try to build up some distance in the pool.
2016-02-01 10:00 PM
in reply to: bjsorensen

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Originally posted by bjsorensen

I'd like to join this group. Here's the brief...

35yo male, 5'9", 165lbs

I workout in the gym more than anything, but it's a wide variety of movements, resistance, and differing levels of aerobic output (mostly in the anaerobic state). I have done 2 sprints (2008, 2014) and my goal is to get on the podium this year. In 2014, I was in 4th place by 1 minute...so frustrating! Btw, I'm an off-road triathloner (Xterra series), so all of my races are reservoir/lake, single track ride and trail running.

My strength is in my legs and endurance. I may not be the fastest on the course, but I can last longer than most.

My weaknesses are running and swimming. My 750m open water time is right around 18mins and my 5k trail run is around 30mins. Swim technique (efficiency and power) is my main focus.

Nice! Where do you live? I've been racing Xterra's my whole life, and am in the same age group as you so we may cross paths at some point!

It's definitely a different requirements to trail run vs. road running. That strength training will help you out on the trails!

2016-02-22 8:19 PM

Is it too late to join?? I am a first timer. NEVER done any type of race in my life and I have signed up for a tri in September. I am so excited. Any advice would be great. I am going to go back through this thread and read. Nice to meet you all!!
2016-02-22 9:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Of course, welcome! What made you decide you want to do a triathlon? Do you have a race in mind already?
2016-02-23 8:23 AM
in reply to: 0

A girl that I work with asked me if I wanted to do a tri, and of course I said YES!!! LOL
Yes, I am signed up to do the Sugar River Tri in Belleville, WI

Today I went swimming, and noticed that my technique is really lagging. I am going to see about getting swim lessons 1 on 1 with a coach.

Edited by wnorth 2016-02-23 8:24 AM
2016-02-27 3:15 PM

Would love some advice!
I have been a runner for 10 years (done 6 halfs) and decided to challenge myself as I turn 40 this year - I signed up for a olympic tri in early June.
I started a 16 week training program with 2 x run, 2 x bike and 2 x swimming per week. I've completed 2 weeks and feel good about it. However, swimming 1500m in open water seems to be a whole different beast then swimming indoors!
I would love some advice on the following:
- how to improve my swimming endurance in an indoors pool? Should I join a masters group, private classes?
- what sort of brick training should I plan for and when (now or closer to the race)?
- Clothing: as it is early June in Colorado, I will need a wetsuit (short or long sleeve?)
- Clothing: I should have my bike and running cloths underneath the wetsuit? I can use the same cloths of biking for the running part?

Thank you
- AH
2016-03-01 10:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Welcome to the fun and happy birthday!

Your best bet would be to join a master's group or get a coach. You'll get more bang for your buck!

You probably need a wetsuit. A full sleeve one is fine, I tend to like them more then the sleeveless but a lot is personal preference and what cold you can tolerate!

You can get tri specific cycling shorts (either a 1 piece top and shorts or just shorts and a seperate top) and wear that under your wetsuit. You can then ride and run in that! If you get cycling specific shorts the pads are thicker and will soak up a crap ton of water. You'll feel like your running with a huge full diaper!

2016-03-04 10:46 AM

, Ohio
Hi All -I am new to tri; started late last year and did 2 sprints and in January I did indoor tri. I like to swim but hate to run and the bike is okay. I need to build up my endurance in all 3 elements. I have the equipment; used road bike, wetsuit, tri suit, etc but looking at what things I need to upgrade the bike.

I start next week with a swim analysis and 3 months of coaching for the swim and I use TrainerRoad for my bike plan.

Looking forward to learning more through this group

thanks

Marci
2016-03-07 7:37 PM

User image

New user
Brooklyn, New York
Hey tony "Trying Again"

Will keep you posted. glad to hear you are back on your feet/bike.

Thanks for everything.

John
2016-03-07 8:36 PM
in reply to: #5170002

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Hi Marci!

Welcome to the group and to your 2nd year of tri's!
2016-04-09 12:11 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
IS it ok to join if im training for IM?

Just need guidance if im overdoing it.

Thanks
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17379 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.
date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 3, 2008
author : jasongootman
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Access to more articles, full training log features, an entire detailed training plan library and plan support - plus many additional perks.