General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is a Tri Bike an Upgrade over a Roadie? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-12-27 7:07 PM

Subject: Is a Tri Bike an Upgrade over a Roadie?
I'm looking at making the investment to a tri bike soon. I currently have an "entry level" full carbon road bike that I've been racing in triathlons. As I shop for the right bike, I keep telling myself that a new bike isn't worth the investment unless it's an upgrade from what I've been riding. However, I know a tri bike has completely different geometry with a much more specific usage, so am I wrong to view it as an upgrade? Is a tri bike different just as a mountain bike is different? Thoughts?

2015-12-28 8:51 AM
in reply to: Callowam

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Is a Tri Bike an Upgrade over a Roadie?
For flat to rolling terrain and less technical races, the more of an advantage a tri bike will be. If it's an upgrade or not depends on a few things... the type of terrain you race in; type of races you do; etc. Most important though, do you plan for this to be your ONLY bike. If yes, keep in mind that a tri bike is not necessarily conducive to ride in groups with (and some groups simply won't allow it) nor would most charity (and century) rides allow a tri bike.

What ever you do, make sure you get a tri bike that fits YOU. The biggest advantage of a tri bike is not the bike itself per se, but rather the position it allows you to be in, so a well fitting bike is crucial.
2015-12-28 7:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
It's different, but not AS different as a road bike vs a mountain bike.

In terms of performance, getting onto a tri bike in an optimal position is going to make a significant difference over a standard road bike position, as long as you're able to stay in that position, which means training in it a lot too.

A tri bike was the first one I bought, then I bought a road bike, which wasn't quite as nice, but has different utility.

In terms of triathlon performance I'd call it an upgrade, even if it has an aluminum frame, but puts you in a better position.

2015-12-30 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

As always with all thing bike related, Jan is spot on.  

The usage of the bike will be the biggest factor in what the "best" bike would be.  If it were me and I was only going to have 1 bike, I'd go with a well fitting roadie that I can set up with clip-ons for tri races.  I'm making numbers up but, you'll get most (80%) of the benefit of a tri bike, by having a well fitting roadie that you can set up for tris with clip-ons.  

Alternatively, if you are able to have two bikes, by all means get a tri bike as well... again fit being the most important factor.  There are diminishing returns on the tri bike once you get the right fit.  Meaning that a $2K tri bike will be 98% as effective as the $7K tri bike (again made up numbers) since the rider is the biggest aerodynamic factor.

Regardless of which way you go, don't forget the other big-bang-for-the-buck upgrades race tires/tubes, rear wheel cover, aero front wheel, and aero lid. Excluding the front wheel, you can get the others for ~$350 and achieve actual noticeable time savings. 

2015-12-30 6:02 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Callow, I've asked this question in another thread not too long ago and the responses are echoed. One thing not mentioned here that was referred to in the other is your distances preferred. Sprint and Oly on a well-fitted fast road bike with clip-ons, good aero position, deeper wheels and/or rear disc, low rolling resistance tires/tubes etc...all factor in to making you faster and are proven to be successful at those distances. You're the engine and that matters most, I have had progressively solid success with my setup. In the other thread it was even mentioned how there have even been some successfully competing at national level on road bikes.
2015-12-31 2:39 PM

User image

Master
If you are planning to get serious about triathlons and OK with the idea of owning 2 bikes, I would get a Tri bike knowing it will make you 1-2 mph faster in non-drafting events vs a road bike. If you NEVER do group rides or charity events, I would consider trading the rodie for a tri-bike. If you plan to do group rides, I would do the clip-ons but unless you are fitted in a true aero-position, clip-ons by themselves won't make you any faster.

I hate to make accusations I can't back-up but there is still a lot of drafting at the FOP at major events and I willing to bet that a significant percentage of the successful athletes on roadies are part of the guilty.

I have never seen a rodie do well at a Time Trial event and they occasionally have a separate category (Eddy Merck) for the rodies to win awards.

2015-12-31 2:59 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by pschriver

If you are planning to get serious about triathlons and OK with the idea of owning 2 bikes, I would get a Tri bike knowing it will make you 1-2 mph faster in non-drafting events vs a road bike. If you NEVER do group rides or charity events, I would consider trading the rodie for a tri-bike. If you plan to do group rides, I would do the clip-ons but unless you are fitted in a true aero-position, clip-ons by themselves won't make you any faster.

I hate to make accusations I can't back-up but there is still a lot of drafting at the FOP at major events and I willing to bet that a significant percentage of the successful athletes on roadies are part of the guilty.

I have never seen a rodie do well at a Time Trial event and they occasionally have a separate category (Eddy Merck) for the rodies to win awards.

Thanks for that last reference, I was considering one on my roadie
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is a Tri Bike an Upgrade over a Roadie? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Upgrading tri bike options. Big guys

Started by rjrankin83
Views: 1081 Posts: 4

2012-07-09 12:08 PM rjrankin83

Tri Bike or Wheel Upgrade?

Started by ryanbike
Views: 2387 Posts: 6

2010-12-17 12:20 PM brucemorgan

Upgrade to Tri Bike?

Started by USAFA
Views: 2675 Posts: 11

2010-10-15 8:47 AM Leegoocrap

Upgrading the Roadie - Components?

Started by rkreuser
Views: 1194 Posts: 6

2009-06-18 7:35 PM magic

When to upgrade road to tri bike...

Started by BrianO
Views: 787 Posts: 5

2007-03-25 9:12 PM browncd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Coach AJ
So when it comes to triathlon, the largest investment we make, in both terms, comes in the bike. Looking at ways to get faster, while considering a budget, is a bind for most triathletes.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.