General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Let's be real... Could I pull this off? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-12-28 5:22 PM

Subject: Let's be real... Could I pull this off?
It's been awhile since I've been on the site, a lot has changed (and not just my waistline!

I was racing actively (3-5 triathlons per year at the Sprint and Olympic distances, with a few mud runs, and 5-10K's thrown in) 4 years ago and happier than I had ever been! I was training for my first Ironman with a small group of friends in the area, and coming along nicely. I was running 35-45 miles per week, biking 150-175 miles per week, and I wasn't logging my swims very well but I could already swim the over 3 miles in plenty of time to make the cutoff. Things were going great!

To keep a long story short, when I graduated from college I got buried in work and starting my own company, and put on quite a bit of weight and stopped working out. I started a new job in January, and my boss is very focused on making sure all of us are healthy and happy, and is making a big push to help us get that way. He started training himself for a 1/2 IM, and asked me if I would be interested in getting back in the game and doing a race with him.

There is no way I can make the first race he is doing because it is a 1/2 IM and it is in March. He has offered to pay my way for a race in June and do it with me if I would be interested. It is also a 1/2, and would be the longest race I've ever done and I would be starting from the worst shape I've ever been in.

Me now:
6ft (this doesn't change, but helps give perspective)
298 lbs
Run - 2 miles at 15 min pace
Bike - Haven't been on one in over 2 years so no clue
Swim - I can swim about 500m non-stop, no clue what the pace is

I am trying to cut out some distractions in my life to make more time for training, but realistically for the first 3 months I can consistently dedicate 7-8 hours per week to training. After those 3 months I should be able to go as high as 12-15 with my other commitments. I want some honest opinions from the group about whether or not I would be trying to do too much to fast, or if I can get there.

If it can be done, I would love some help pointing me in the right direction on a workout plan for this timeline and my fitness, and any diet advice possible to trim weight FAST to take some pressure off my muscles and joints throughout the process.

I work hard, and when I set my mind to something i get it done. So when it comes to diet or workout plan, if it can be done in a healthy manner, then I'll keep my end of the bargain.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

2015-12-28 11:48 PM
in reply to: Fat2FitAggie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Let's be real... Could I pull this off?
I remember your username!
Welcome back . I have no qualifications nor experience to offer as to whether or not you can 'pull it off',
but wanted to wish you Good Luck in getting back to it

2015-12-29 8:57 AM
in reply to: Fat2FitAggie

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Hiya! I also have very little to offer in the way of knowledge as to whether you can pull this off. However, I did want to say that you likely won't get a lot of responses here, and you should post this question in Tri Talk where it will see more faces.
Is it only a HIM option in June? Or is there an Oly you could do instead? Not that I think a HIM is impossible, just that I feel like weight loss may be sacrificed in favor of proper fueling for the distance. But again, that's just something I think I've read here before...no first hand knowledge on long distance I'm afraid.
Welcome back!
2015-12-29 9:20 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

I haven't looked into a shorter distance option for the race. I'm not even all that sure which race it is, he just told me there was a HIM in June that was on him if I wanted to join him.

I'll repost in Tri-Talk, thanks for the hint!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Let's be real... Could I pull this off? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Getting older let's give this a TRI ......

Started by Londonlad
Views: 951 Posts: 4

2015-10-30 12:00 PM alicefoeller

Let's do this

Started by JoeT LDT
Views: 505 Posts: 2

2014-05-26 10:20 PM Swimaway

Let's do this!

Started by erinmorris
Views: 955 Posts: 5

2008-06-05 8:45 PM newleaf

Please don't let me fall off the wagon!