General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let's be real.... Could I pull this off? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-12-29 9:20 AM

Subject: Let's be real.... Could I pull this off?
It's been awhile since I've been on the site, a lot has changed (and not just my waistline!

I was racing actively (3-5 triathlons per year at the Sprint and Olympic distances, with a few mud runs, and 5-10K's thrown in) 4 years ago and happier than I had ever been! I was training for my first Ironman with a small group of friends in the area, and coming along nicely. I was running 35-45 miles per week, biking 150-175 miles per week, and I wasn't logging my swims very well but I could already swim the over 3 miles in plenty of time to make the cutoff. Things were going great!

To keep a long story short, when I graduated from college I got buried in work and starting my own company, and put on quite a bit of weight and stopped working out. I started a new job in January, and my boss is very focused on making sure all of us are healthy and happy, and is making a big push to help us get that way. He started training himself for a 1/2 IM, and asked me if I would be interested in getting back in the game and doing a race with him.

There is no way I can make the first race he is doing because it is a 1/2 IM and it is in March. He has offered to pay my way for a race in June and do it with me if I would be interested. It is also a 1/2, and would be the longest race I've ever done and I would be starting from the worst shape I've ever been in.

Me now:
6ft (this doesn't change, but helps give perspective)
298 lbs
Run - 2 miles at 15 min pace
Bike - Haven't been on one in over 2 years so no clue
Swim - I can swim about 500m non-stop, no clue what the pace is

I am trying to cut out some distractions in my life to make more time for training, but realistically for the first 3 months I can consistently dedicate 7-8 hours per week to training. After those 3 months I should be able to go as high as 12-15 with my other commitments. I want some honest opinions from the group about whether or not I would be trying to do too much to fast, or if I can get there.

If it can be done, I would love some help pointing me in the right direction on a workout plan for this timeline and my fitness, and any diet advice possible to trim weight FAST to take some pressure off my muscles and joints throughout the process.

I work hard, and when I set my mind to something i get it done. So when it comes to diet or workout plan, if it can be done in a healthy manner, then I'll keep my end of the bargain.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

2015-12-29 9:37 AM
in reply to: Fat2FitAggie

User image

Subject: RE: Let's be real.... Could I pull this off?

I think you could do it with 6 months.  Your biggest obstacle in my opinion is not getting hurt.  The beginner HIM plan on BT is 20 weeks.  If I was you and really wanted to do it I would plan on getting through swim/bike and then I'd would probably be planning on a run/walk.

2015-12-29 9:43 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Possible? Sure.  But it's going to take a lot of commitment and consistent training between now and June to get there.

As a starting point, I'd suggest you take a look at the beginner's HIM plan here on BT to get an idea of what you're up against.

I wouldn't suggest that you try to take the weight off too quickly with a gimmicky diet.  You'll be better off cleaning up your diet, exercising good portion control and letting the weight come off at a healthy and sustainable rate.  If you're worried about your weight affecting your running then you may want to focus more on cycling and swimming until you lose a few pounds. 

Sounds like you've got a great boss to support and encourage you!

Good luck,

Mark

2015-12-29 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Of course you can but is it the best way to do it? 

There are a few things that jump out at me that give me caution:

1. The weight gain - although muscle memory is an amazing thing it's going to be hard to start and hard on your body. So building volume too rapidly will be a bit of a crapshoot in terms of keeping injury at bay - especially if you jump in to HIM training now (which is about the time - many plans are around 20 weeks)

2. The length of absence - if you haven't been on a bike in 2 years you really should just spend some time building volume and focus on shorter distance races - although you sound really committed, building sensibly from where you are today will pay off in the longer term if you want to keep at it. 

All that said, there are several things going your way:

1. You sound like you want to do it

2. You have done the volume before - coming back is easier that starting out. 

I think if you do choose to do it - don't set any time goals. Make it all about finishing - which as your first it will be a PB no matter what!  My recommendation would be to set your goal to do an Olympic distance in that same time frame. 

Best of luck getting back at it! 

2015-12-29 10:12 AM

User image

Franklin, TN

Honestly, I don't think it's a good idea to target a HIM 6 months from now given that you're basically starting over.  You would have to bury yourself training-wise to get there and how much fun would that be...not.  I think targeting several sprint/oly races this spring/summer would make everything more enjoyable.

It's great you're getting back in the game.  You'll drop weight and feel better with consistent training.  I would suggest getting on a consistent workout schedule (preferably 3x a week for swim/bike and 4-5x a week for run).  Running is going to be the toughest on your body given your current height/weight. Keep the sessions short at first (I'm thinking no more than 10-15 minutes for the run).  Think long term...you want this to be an enjoyable experience.

2015-12-29 10:29 AM
in reply to: JoelO

New user
The Woodlands, TX
I think it is GREAT! that your boss has taken an interest in his employees to be fit, and even more so, you to be fit. Not knowing your status in the company, this could be am excellent bonding moment and lead to much better and bigger career paths and networking.

With that said, I am in a similar boat. Been sitting on my rear end since the kids went back to school in August. Schedule has seemed to hectic, but I am sure there has been time not utilized properly to stay fit. Your advantage is you know what you need to do. The skill set is there, even though the base may not be. It will come back, but do it at a comfortable pace. Adjust your goal to only finish, and then increase your expectations from there.

And, by all means, do not pass up your boss on the course, after being a couch potato. Leave that for the next 1/2.

2015-12-29 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Having been there before with a solid commitment and focus you can pull it off. I'd use the swim and bike time to help shed the weight, some extra time in the pool and on the bike can help shed the lbs at low risk to injury. You need to be careful with the running to avoid injury, only add 10% mileage per week etc..

As for a plan I'm what they call a "random" trainer, I swim bike and run 2-3 times a week (each discipline).

Loosing weight is not rocket science, there's 3,500 calories per pound. You need to create a deficit to lose weight e.g. burn more than what's coming in. Stay away from the carbs/sugars at night. For a one to one and half hour workout in the morning you don't need to eat first. Eat/recover after the workout.

I went from 250 to 196 is less than a year by swimming and going to spin class at the gym with no adjustment to diet so if you do both I think you'll be in good shape.

There's a 20 week HIM plan free on this site, you might give that a look. I think the swim distances are light so no worries going longer on swims.
2015-12-29 10:42 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

It can be done with the willpower, but probably not the best thing to do IMHO.  I would talk with your boss and tell him that mentally you could probably do it but right now that physically you need more time to get there to achieve a lifestyle modification that could truly last.  Realistically there will likely be a week or two of illness, periods where it feels like you are taking two steps forward then one or two steps back, etc. 

No shame at all in going shorter to build up and see progress.  I personally prefer the short higher intensity races these days.

Let us know what you end up doing.  BTW there are some Mentor groups that will be forming which could be of some good assistance for you if you go after it.

2015-12-29 10:48 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Everyone is different, but I do best when I have an event on the calendar I can focus on. Based on that, I'd say ABSOLUTELY........GO FOR IT!

Take a look at the free BT HIM training program. Lot's of people have used it to successfully complete their first HIM. It'll give you some idea about training time requirements and what you should be targeting as far as preparation to start the plan goes. It's really about putting in the time, but not putting more stress on your body than it can handle.
2015-12-29 11:28 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by juniperjen

Of course you can but is it the best way to do it? 

There are a few things that jump out at me that give me caution:

1. The weight gain - although muscle memory is an amazing thing it's going to be hard to start and hard on your body. So building volume too rapidly will be a bit of a crapshoot in terms of keeping injury at bay - especially if you jump in to HIM training now (which is about the time - many plans are around 20 weeks)

2. The length of absence - if you haven't been on a bike in 2 years you really should just spend some time building volume and focus on shorter distance races - although you sound really committed, building sensibly from where you are today will pay off in the longer term if you want to keep at it. 

All that said, there are several things going your way:

1. You sound like you want to do it

2. You have done the volume before - coming back is easier that starting out. 

I think if you do choose to do it - don't set any time goals. Make it all about finishing - which as your first it will be a PB no matter what!  My recommendation would be to set your goal to do an Olympic distance in that same time frame. 

Best of luck getting back at it! 

I also meant to add that a factor in your favour is being young - i think you said you're only a few years out of college. You probably won't need quite as much recovery time as older folks - it doesn't mean you shouldn't have it in your schedule, though. 

2015-12-29 12:56 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

I think you could do it with 6 months.  Your biggest obstacle in my opinion is not getting hurt.  The beginner HIM plan on BT is 20 weeks.  If I was you and really wanted to do it I would plan on getting through swim/bike and then I'd would probably be planning on a run/walk.

Mostly this. I think that you could finish the HIM. If you can resolve yourself to a slow (3 1/2? 4 hour) run.

The other big thing is that your boss asked you to bond with him. This is a big deal and could be a big boost to your career. If you train together you will get (and give) a lot of insight.

And just a thought: Any chance of doing this as part of a relay?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let's be real.... Could I pull this off? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How can I pull this off?

Started by Cayenne
Views: 1474 Posts: 14

2011-09-17 7:44 AM Cayenne

OK....let's talk days "off" from training

Started by nc452010
Views: 1594 Posts: 18

2010-04-16 10:42 AM Apotheosis

real hilly or am I just that bad?

Started by fire34fighter
Views: 1586 Posts: 15