BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ted's Sprint Group (Beginner & Experienced Welcome) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2016-03-29 7:30 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Subject: RE: Ted's Sprint Group (Beginner & Experienced Welcome)
Managed a quick outdoor ride this afternoon; cool but I was burning up by the time I finished. Only the second outdoor ride of the season and my legs are barking! Hips too!!. Made it to the pool yesterday and I plan to swim in the morning; perhaps another swim Thursday morning. Need to travel back to Alabama and help family due to my father's declining health. Spent last week down there; only a few walks but they helped mentally.

Congrats to all on their continued training and determination!!!

2016-03-29 7:32 PM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

Originally posted by nekomidori

My weekend plans didn't go as I thought I got caught up in yard work and family time. My event is 2 weeks away. I will be training again in the morning.
I will be going unplugged with my family so no electricity for us. Working on the cast away activity pin for scouts. I will still be training though and logging workouts on paper until next weekend.
Have a good week.
Take care,
Nicole

You'll be ready!! Enjoy the family time!! And the "cast away" challenge!!!
2016-03-31 12:48 PM
in reply to: #5174092

User image

Well training has gone well so far on my first week of leave......was supposed to do a swim today but for some reason could not get motivated......however the sun was shining and it was a lovely day so i decided to go out for a run.....it was so lovely and i did 3k in 20 mins which is the fastest i have run for ages......felt so good when i got back......sometimes u just gotta go with the flow!!!
2016-04-02 9:13 AM
in reply to: AnnabelleLong

User image

Originally posted by AnnabelleLong

Well training has gone well so far on my first week of leave......was supposed to do a swim today but for some reason could not get motivated......however the sun was shining and it was a lovely day so i decided to go out for a run.....it was so lovely and i did 3k in 20 mins which is the fastest i have run for ages......felt so good when i got back......sometimes u just gotta go with the flow!!!

Great start to your training during your leave!!
2016-04-02 8:58 PM

Awesome job annebelle.. Well im getting back on track again with 40 min trainer ride tonight and a run planned for tomorrow.
2016-04-03 8:15 PM
in reply to: #5174780

User image

Hi everyone,
Well we ended up going camping for a few days so my training to the back burner but I got in a hike. When we got back I went on a family ride which was good but slow. My boys were trying out their Christmas upgraded bikes. I got in a jog with the dog and the boys. My spirits were down about my training. I felt like a bum. Last night I signed up for my sprint and got the boys signed up as well. We compete next weekend.
Today We got in a quick swim 300 yards( that is my sprint)for me, 100 for James, and 150 for Alex, then we got out and did a slow transition and ran/walked 2 miles. I did extra and got in my 3 miles. It was frustrating for me with the boys but I got in my run.
I have thinking about my training after this sprint. I am go into 3 days of bike, 3 days of strength training, 3 cardio sessions plus 1 yoga. I will be working on being ready for a metric century and working on getting my body stronger.

2016-04-03 8:54 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I wouldn't be too bummed about your training this past week. The time with your family outweighs anything else. And in my experience, the kids grow up too fast. I was scheduled to go for a ride this afternoon, but opted for a trip out to the reservoir with my kids to do some stand-up paddle boarding instead. Relax and get those workouts when you can.

2016-04-03 8:54 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I wouldn't be too bummed about your training this past week. The time with your family outweighs anything else. And in my experience, the kids grow up too fast. I was scheduled to go for a ride this afternoon, but opted for a trip out to the reservoir with my kids to do some stand-up paddle boarding instead. Relax and get those workouts when you can.

(20160403_141855.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20160403_141855.jpg (775KB - 9 downloads)
2016-04-04 10:16 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Originally posted by tedjohn

What a great photo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2016-04-04 12:45 PM
in reply to: #5175161

User image

Nicole it sounds like you still did quite a bit......its cool u have got ur kids into it to.....pretty soon they will be beating you!!! Mine is only 3 so bit early to get him started.....he does keep saying he wants to go "swimming, biking and running with mummy".
Sometimes its good to do unconventional training....hiking and stuff.....builds up your cardiovascular system and family time is way more important
2016-04-06 9:01 AM

User image

Traveled last Friday back to Alabama again due to family health issues; I've managed morning walks prior to going to the hospital; brought my swim gear and had hoped to get into a club as a guest of a family member but that hasn't happened yet. Daughter comes in tomorrow to visit and does one of our son's on Friday. I suspect we'll all 3 get in some early morning sessions. Hope to be back home early next week; will get swims in then for sure before a return trip here. Might not be able to make my 4.23 event.....but, will see how things progress here.

2016-04-06 8:44 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Take care Bill and safe travels once you head home!
2016-04-07 6:25 AM
in reply to: #5175288

User image

Thanks everyone for the support. It is funny, last year when Alex and I rode our 50 miler he said, "mom can I cross the line first? I want to beat you." I told him he was 10 and I was 42 he had already beat me. He was beaming after that. I finished a few minutes before him though. He a journey together. My youngest wants to take that journey this year at 9 1/2 yr. He will definitely beat his brother.

I did my bike training last night and it kicked my butt.
I have a medium swim today and then taper.
The weather looks like it could be 35-45 in the morning this weekend. Some people didn't sign up because of the cold.
I didn't even check but I'm going to tough it up and just keep on trucking. I guess this year will be a polar sprint. Lol at least the swim is inside in a pool.
Nicole
Bill I hope things get better with your family.
2016-04-07 9:02 AM

User image

Originally posted by nekomidori

Thanks everyone for the support. It is funny, last year when Alex and I rode our 50 miler he said, "mom can I cross the line first? I want to beat you." I told him he was 10 and I was 42 he had already beat me. He was beaming after that. I finished a few minutes before him though. He a journey together. My youngest wants to take that journey this year at 9 1/2 yr. He will definitely beat his brother.

I did my bike training last night and it kicked my butt.
I have a medium swim today and then taper.
The weather looks like it could be 35-45 in the morning this weekend. Some people didn't sign up because of the cold.
I didn't even check but I'm going to tough it up and just keep on trucking. I guess this year will be a polar sprint. Lol at least the swim is inside in a pool.
Nicole
Bill I hope things get better with your family.

Great story about your experience last year!!! How far we have come......

You have a great plan for the rest of the week; while the temps on race day will be cool to begin with; it'll warm up for your ride and run. Best of luck!! Let us know how it goes for you.

And......Thank You!!
2016-04-07 9:05 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Originally posted by tedjohn

Take care Bill and safe travels once you head home!

Many thanks!
2016-04-08 7:20 AM
in reply to: #5175895

User image

Thanks Bill,
Ok I got in my last swim. I didn't want to but I just sucked it up and got it done. On Tuesday I was thinking too much and was floundering around thinking about my sprint. Yesterday I was much more calm. It was good I got in that last swim.
I'm going over the race in my head so many times. My children are getting their stuff all laid out too. They are relaxed and not even stressing. That is awesome. I need to take deep breathes and chill. This is the part that is for me the hardest part, the mental game.
I am an organizer type person so I am overthinking it.
Deep breaths
Nicole

2016-04-08 11:03 AM

Got a 30 min run in today during my daughters gymnastics practice today. Wohoo we both got our exercise. I think Im gpoing to do the same thing next week. How is everyone else doing
2016-04-08 12:24 PM
in reply to: #5176087

User image

Nickh
I think it is great. I did the same thing when my son practiced soccer I got in my run.
As a busy mom, we have to fit it in how we can! Way to go.
Nicole
2016-04-08 7:05 PM

User image

Deep breaths and relax tomorrow! You will be awesome!!! Will be thinking of you!!!!
2016-04-09 4:21 PM
in reply to: #5176179

User image

Thanks Bill.
My sons competed today and they did great. They both improved their swims. James(9) was passing on his first lap. Alex(12) started 3rd and was 3rd to get out of the pool. But was a brisk 41 with 15 mph winds. Both of them chose no sweatpants but had an polar fleece on their top. Alex was first in the bike, 4th on the run and finished 2nd over all. James was 15th on the bike and 32nd on the run he finished 24th out of 34.
I'm so proud of their dedication and that fact that my husband and I are support them.
I am pleased that I'm able to be a role model to them.

Afterward, I was able to ask Alex how cold he was during it and he said on the bike he felt like he had brain freeze(like he had eaten an ice cream).
It was great to be able to share this.
I have the bike all my things and my water bottle packed into the car already.
I spoke with adults today that will be competing tomorrow and everyone has agreed we will just be cold. 7 am is to be 34.
I will preserve and have fun doing it.
Nicole
2016-04-10 5:07 PM
in reply to: #5176281

User image

I rocked my sprint today and survived and thrived to tell about it. This is going to be long.
I had the car packed, bike, bag, bucket, water bottles. Everything ready to go.
It was 33, my family was resting up from their event on Saturday so I went alone. My youngest came out of bed to wish me luck and love and a big hug. So needed.
I got to the event put my bike together and realized my front tire wasn't right. I brought it over to the support team(the local bike shop that we use)
I went and set up my spot, got my chip and shivered while getting marked up. The bike support replaced the tire. I set it up and stripped my extra clothes off and went inside.
We got in a crazy mob and didn't line up by number like last year. This was fine because I underestimated my swim time. I got in and was smooth getting out the first few laps, I got a bit flustered and had to stop at the ends a few times to let 3 people pass. Overall I felt a better swim than last year.
I was warm coming out of the pool, ran to the transition area. I toweled off real good, got on my run jacket, run pants, socks, cycle shoes (with toe covers), helmet and cycle gloves (fingerless). I took a honey stinger and off I went. My bike went well. I was only a bit cold on my ears and fingertips. Next I came in into transition area, changed into sneakers, put on winter hat and number belt and was off. While running I put on my fingerless knit mittens. I was colder on the run for a little bit, mostly my toes. I met a guy who had a quick pace. I ran with him for a few minutes until I couldn't keep up anymore.
I did the run as a speed walk/jog/with a very small 20 yard dash across the finish line. I tried to pull more energy to run fast for the last 5 minutes and I just didn't have it.
My times were:
Swim 8:39, T1 4:35, bike 56:02, T2 2:28, run 33:03 with a total time of 1:44:45
Last years time was 1:50:43
I was in tears crossing the finish line and when I realized I beat my time. I wasn't sure I would be able to beat my time.
A very successful day.
Nicole

2016-04-10 6:43 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Nicole,

Awesome result! Congratulations! Those cold weather races always add an extra challenge. At the same time, it gives you some fantastic Bad AS$ bragging rights! While everyone else is inside trying to stay warm, you are out in the mix! Be sure to savor your season opener! Congrats again!
2016-04-10 8:14 PM
in reply to: #5176377

User image

Thanks Ted,
My question now is what is a good rest time after a sprint? A day or 2? Or can I jump into strength training?
Nicole
2016-04-10 8:41 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Depending on how you feel. A day or two may be fine. The important thing is to give yourself enough time to be feeling good, and then maybe a day extra for good measure. Pay attention to your energy levels especially. I would go with a full recovery before strength training. Instead, see about a short easy swim or some light spinning on the bike. If you feel good to go after that, then I'd get into strength training.
2016-04-11 4:48 AM
in reply to: #5176400

User image

Ok thanks, I feel a bit rough today. I guess that meant I gave it all and I'm still new to triathlons.
Nicole
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ted's Sprint Group (Beginner & Experienced Welcome) Rss Feed  

of 14

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6322 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17377 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : Pnlop
comments : 0
First race went better than expected!

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : Trmlo
comments : 10
At 66 years old, I completed my first sprint triathlon!
date : May 27, 2011
author : sdswriter
comments : 15
A Middle-Aged, First-Time Triathlete Overcomes the Elements and Takes Care of Some Unfinished Business

date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 0
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.