BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ted's Sprint Group (Beginner & Experienced Welcome) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2016-04-11 6:01 AM
in reply to: #5176427

User image

Subject: RE: Ted's Sprint Group (Beginner & Experienced Welcome)
I forgot to mention. My husband had been inspired to train through the winter and do the same sprint Tri with the family next year!! I'm so excited. I think he feels left out that he is not a triathlon too. He used to teach life guards when he was younger, plus he has had to run while in the military and some now while on the police force.
I'm excited he is coming over to our side. Lol
Nicole

2016-04-11 7:07 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Nicole.............................................................OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How impressive.....Congratulations!!!

Edited by 2NewKnees 2016-04-11 7:09 AM
2016-04-14 4:48 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Thanks Bill.
There is nothing quite like doing an event to get your spirit back in the swing of things.
I took a few days off to recover. I am now training for a metric century and another Sprint in July.
I started yesterday with strength training in the morning chest and back, and abs. I did mostly push ups, pull ups with the bands and some others with weights. I got in a good ab workout as well. I am doing another round of P90x. I am finding it will keep me on track with my weights. I also had my bike training with my group last night. My legs still were tired from Sunday. I pushed and made it through.
Today I had a lot of lunges and squats(Plyometrics). I had to stop due to an appointment as school.

I am quite sore from the abs and back workout yesterday but it feels good to do my workout today and stretch my sore muscles. My legs are doing great in comparision.
I have been eating a lot cleaner and not eating in front of the tv. I have dropped 5 lbs which put me 11 lbs lighter than my race weight from last year.

Who is next up for their race?

Enjoy the day.
2016-04-16 8:14 AM
in reply to: nekomidori

Your doing awesome Nicole. I'm proud to announce I ran 3.12 miles on the treadmill in 30 min wohoo yesterday. Now I'm damn sore lol. Anyways time to get the bike ready for the summer its starting to get to be spring out here getting excited finally able to ride outside soon.
2016-04-16 9:14 AM
in reply to: nickih

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Great to hear about all of the training and racing. Last weekend was a busy one. Did a club predict 10k on Saturday in just under 50 minutes. This was faster than I'd planned, but it was a beautiful morning so I just went for it. Sunday was the annual spring fling bike ride. Joined up with my Uncle and we rode the 37 miles in just under two hours. This was the first ride in a long time where I felt really good. We also did a fair amount of drafting which helped. Not great for triathlon practice, but what can you do! As I'm writing this, I'm looking out the window at a mix of rain/ snow and wind (gusting to about 50 mph). Nothing like Colorado in the spring! I will be staying inside today!
2016-04-20 1:13 PM
in reply to: #5158247

User image

Wow Nickh and Ted you both have some fast times!
I am on week 2 of my p90 X workout and bike training. It has hard fitting some of my workouts in but it feels good to be a bit sore and know I am working harder. I have been consistent 3 days of weights plus 3 bike rides, Kenpo, and cardio session(plyometrics). My yoga session got cut short due to a day hiking with the scouts.
I am seeing progress and feel myself getting stronger.
I did chest, back, and abs today and have my bike session with my group tonight. I'm glad I have dinner already prepped.
Are you giving it your all?

Nicole

2016-04-22 8:24 PM

User image

The first event of the spring I'd registered for is set for tomorrow morning. I'll not be able to participate since I'm back south helping care for my father. My oldest son is doing his first ever sprint tomorrow just like I did last year. Have tried to share what I learned. Should have purchased the event insurance that was offered...oh well; my trip south certainly takes priority: There will be other events in the future.

Best to all!
2016-04-26 5:26 AM
in reply to: #5178206

User image

Bill I am sorry to hear that you are missing out on your event. How did it go for your son?

Hang in there.
The Bo Bikes Bama is this coming weekend if you're still in AL.
Take Care,
Nicole
2016-04-26 7:33 AM

User image

Thank you Nicole!!

Actually drove back north Sunday; will be back in Alabama soon, just depends on dad's health. My son had a fantastic race; he finished in 1:34.0 or so...as all of us he was nervous the first time. He swam the 300 yards as quickly as I could after training for a long time; he'd had maybe a 1/2 dozen practice swims total and finished in 6:30.....:45 min 13 mile bike ride and about a 40 min 5k; he's dealing with a heel injury and couldn't push the run.
I stayed in contact with his wife the whole time. My wife watched their 18 month old little girl......

Appreciate the thoughts and while it's possible I could be back in Alabama by the weekend, I'll have to wait til next year to do the Bo Ride.

2016-04-27 6:18 AM
in reply to: #5178901

User image

Wow Bill your son had good times.
No worries about Bo Bikes Bama.
Your family is way more important.

Nicole
2016-04-27 6:26 AM
in reply to: #5179109

User image

I'm sticking with my weights and I'm starting to see some muscle change. It is exciting to see some strength come back.
I felt a little bad about not getting in a work out this weekend but I was camping with the cub scouts and I did over 6 miles of walking.
I got in a ride yesterday and a kenpo(kick boxing) session on Monday. Today I have chest, back, and abs. Tonight I have my training with my cycle group. This session always pushes me.
I have a high intensity cardio session on Thursday, shoulders, arms and abs on Friday.
I am shooting to get in 1-2 rides this weekend with the family.
Yoga on Saturday and legs,back, and abs on Sunday.

Make it a great week. You never know how much time you have to enjoy life.
Nicole

2016-04-28 9:26 AM

User image

Originally posted by nekomidori

Make it a great week. You never know how much time you have to enjoy life.
Nicole

So very true......
2016-04-29 6:39 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Wishing everyone a great weekend of training/ racing! Another snowy Colorado weekend. I'll be getting a ride done on the spin bike this weekend!
2016-04-30 8:26 AM
in reply to: #5179110

User image

I have had a really good week for training and have got 5 good sessions in. Today i did a track cycle taster session at our local velodrome......scary as but great fun......certainly works your legs as there is no freewheeling. I was too scared to go all the way up the banking to the rail.....its so steep I was convinced I would slide down so I booked another session.....its really cool and would nice to get accreditation to use it alone so gotta get up there eventually!!!
2016-05-02 10:15 AM
in reply to: AnnabelleLong

User image

Originally posted by AnnabelleLong

I have had a really good week for training and have got 5 good sessions in. Today i did a track cycle taster session at our local velodrome......scary as but great fun......certainly works your legs as there is no freewheeling. I was too scared to go all the way up the banking to the rail.....its so steep I was convinced I would slide down so I booked another session.....its really cool and would nice to get accreditation to use it alone so gotta get up there eventually!!!

What an interesting bike session at the velodrome!
2016-05-05 9:39 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Wow. A velodrome sounds awesome! Here's hoping everyone has a good weekend of training and/ or racing. Please keep the group notified of any events you have so that we can send some positive vibes your way!

As for me I'm getting ready to practice . . . transitions! Something I haven't done in a long time. Since my first race in two weeks is a reverse sprint, I'm going to try some run to bike transitions first. Should be interesting. Have a great weekend!

2016-05-08 1:51 PM
in reply to: #5179613

User image

Im sure you all remember my tale of woe in January....fall off bike...bruised sternum.....stolen bike.....so today i went on a 20k ride on my new road bike to see what time I managed.....i knocked 10 mins.....yes you read right.....10 mins of my best 20k time.....i love my new bike it is awesome.......in your face pesky thieves you did me a favour!!!!! I also did another track session at the velodrome which was much better when i wasnt shaking so much that i felt the need to buy some diazepam off the web!!!!!
My training all seems to be coming together finally.....the weather has been amazing in England for the last 7 or 8 days and I am actually looking forward to my first triathlon in 3 weeks time. Hope everyone else is having a lovely weekend and training is going well
Annabelle
2016-05-09 2:29 PM
in reply to: #5180727

User image

That is awesome news Annabelle. I'm glad your training is paying off.
Good luck in your event.
I haven't been doing my cardio workouts this week. I had my bike training on Wednesday and did 21 in 55 minutes on the trainer. It was hard, I definitely get pushed in my group. I am learning to be more steady in my cadence and get into a rhythm of it. I have been working in my house and garden. Well I went without shoes while doing a long canning session and sandels without enough support and hurt my heel.
It is time to get back after it and pick up my training from last week. I got in a great ride with my husband yesterday. 25 miles in the saddle, we had a bit of a head wind but had beautiful weather otherwise.
This Wednesday is my last cycle group training. I have a 30 miler ride on May 28 th and a 42 miler June 4th.

Have a great week,
Nicole
2016-05-11 8:27 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Well, here we go. This weekend is my first race of the season . . . a local sprint triathlon that I do every other year or so. I got one final swim in this morning and now I'll take it easy for a couple of days (may try to get out for a walk, but not much else). Last weekend I practiced transitions and that felt pretty good. I was able to get them done in less than a minute or so.

Thought I'd share a quick tip as we approach race season. A couple of years ago, I happened across a post from Joe Friel about "race plans." Since then, I always create a plan that lays out some goals for the upcoming race. I usually develop some things that I want to do before and during the race, and I create some time estimates for each component of the race. This allows me to assess my performance during the race and adjust as needed. For example, if I struggle on the swim, then I know that I may want to make that up on the bike, etc. The plan also allows me to think about things such as weather, nutrition options, etc. Having it written down in one place helps to crystallize it in my mind a bit more which is helpful. I highly recommend this as it gives you a chance to do some mental preparation before the race. As an example, here's a link to an Olympic Race Plan I made a few years back:

http://trited.blogspot.com/2014/06/2014-boulder-sunrise-triathlon-r...

Depending on the race and my training, these plans can be really specific, or more generalized. It all depends on the importance of the race (A race vs. B,C,D) and difficulty (A sprint race will likely have a much shorter plan compared to a HIM).

Hope everyone continues to enjoy training or at least some nice weather!
2016-05-12 10:12 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Good Luck on your Race Ted.

I had my last group training ride last night. It was a good push. intervals at 105-120% of FTP. I signed up for another 8 weeks of training that start May 25th. I have been kind of low on the motivation for doing my training other than the bike. I hurt my heel and not sure that some of the cardio is so good for it. I should have gotten into the pool but I had talked myself out of that.

Last night my coach told me I should look at doing the August 70.3 September 2017. Well talk about the excitement level and fear and motivation coming right back into my life. Lol. I was just looking at upping my training and maybe doing a Sprint/internationl/olympic with 750m or 1500m swim.
The swim is what scares me the most. I am already looking at getting in the bike miles this season so that doesn't feel overwhelming. I will have to get my run up to speed as well.

So I took up training time this morning trying to come up with a plan.
Time to get back into the pool. I haven't been in since my sprint. I also need to see where people train here in open water.

It is amazing to me how when you look at an Ironman race. My first reaction is wow that is huge. I never want to do that. Then after doing a little bit. I look at wow I could do the bike of that one day. I might be able to run half of that and then when broken down it still looks like a lot of time effort and energy. It looks attainable(half ironman) not the whole thing. That still is a bit crazy to me.

Stretch yourself and go for a goal that is scary. I think my goal was too attainable and needed to be stretched further.

2016-05-12 7:51 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Nicole,

A 70.3, and even a Full Ironman is attainable if you put the time in up front. I found that if I looked at either race in terms of time vs. distance, it seemed a lot less daunting. I figured, a six hour HIM was less than a full day's work and I could probably due anything for about half a day. As for the swim, the 1.2 miles for the 70.3 distance isn't too much longer than an Olympic distance swim of 1500. When I first started doing triathlons six years ago, an Ironman seemed unreachable to me. A few years later, it seemed possible at least. Then finally last year, I managed to talk myself into it!

Given the work that you've already put in, I think that a 70.3 in 2017 would certainly be possible. You seem to be putting in a lot of miles on the bike and I think that's the most significant component of either a 70.3 or 140.6.

Ted

2016-05-13 5:31 AM
in reply to: #5180925

User image

Wow Nicole.....I think you should go for it as if you dont you will always wonder if.....you are brave though as i look at even a half iron man and think.... er no I dont think so!!! My hope is when little one is older I can get the training in to do an olympic distance but for now I will stick to the sprints!!!
Ted good luck for your event this weekend.....I will think about you when I am on my long ride on Sunday.....hopefully breaking in my new triathlon bike shoes
2016-05-13 6:18 AM
in reply to: AnnabelleLong

User image

Thanks for the support both of you.

I realize that this is a good goal for me because it IS scary but in a get your blood and heart moving, I want to do this kind of way. I am going back to the YMCA today to find out when they hold their TRX classes and I'm looking in to getting into those a few days a week. If I can't get into one today I will just jump back into the pool.

I found out with my job a few weeks ago that I will still have a morning window for 3 hours most mornings over the summer Tues, Wed, and Thursday. Which means those are my days I can pull a double.

I will do a bike and swim on the weekend that way I can involve my family as well. Plus I will have a bike on Wednesday in the evenings. Hopefully I can get TRX in the mornings on one of these weekday mornings.

I love that I am focused on this big goal. It is hard I haven't even had a chance to discuss it with my husband because he is out of town during the week.
I will see him tonight.

He will probably think I'm crazy.
I saw the chiropractor and he was able to work on my legs and work out the pain in my foot. I need to book a massage once a month to deal with what I am putting my body through.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Go TED!!!
2016-05-15 5:06 PM

User image

I was able to get in the TRX class on Friday and I am still feeling the effects on Sunday. It was a great strength workout. I was happy I had been doing p90x for 3 weeks. I just have to say I hate Burpees. I got in a 3.5 mile walk/run with the dog on Saturday and a 25 mile ride with my husband today. It was mostly hills. I then got some lunch and got back into the pool. I got in 600 yards. I was feeling heavy legs and slow sore arms but it felt good to be back in the pool. Like that was where I belong. How strange but in a good way. My husband didn't really say much of anything about my goal of Augusta. It is easier if I look at a metric century and an international for goals. I found one in September. Guess I better get some outside swimming in soon. I also have to check to make sure if it is a wet suit event or not. I hope not, I don't have that budgeted in.

I have 19 weeks until Arlington International Triathlon in North Carolina September 24th.
This week I have been working on my form on my bike, I have been focusing on my core and keeping my head and back in proper alignment.

Head down and keep on going.

2016-05-15 8:40 PM

User image

Nicole....some impressive goals!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ted's Sprint Group (Beginner & Experienced Welcome) Rss Feed  

of 14

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6325 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17381 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : Pnlop
comments : 0
First race went better than expected!

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : Trmlo
comments : 10
At 66 years old, I completed my first sprint triathlon!
date : May 27, 2011
author : sdswriter
comments : 15
A Middle-Aged, First-Time Triathlete Overcomes the Elements and Takes Care of Some Unfinished Business

date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 0
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.