BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ted's Sprint Group (Beginner & Experienced Welcome) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2016-01-26 3:18 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

Middleton, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ted's Sprint Group (Beginner & Experienced Welcome)
I finally got back to the gym after my cold last Friday! I stuck to easy and short bike rides and walking. Today I ran for the first time in about 2 weeks! Running is my least favorite and I HATE running on the treadmill! I walked .25, ran 1 mile (which is a huge accomplishment for me!) then walked until I got to 20 minutes at 1.35 miles. I would have gone longer but I places to be! I feel like I'm starting my training from the beginning but that's ok because it's a 12 week program and I have way more than 12 weeks until my race!

2016-01-26 5:44 PM
in reply to: alm52386

User image

Brooklyn, New York
One workout at a time. Keep moving forward
2016-01-26 10:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by alm52386

I finally got back to the gym after my cold last Friday! I stuck to easy and short bike rides and walking. Today I ran for the first time in about 2 weeks! Running is my least favorite and I HATE running on the treadmill! I walked .25, ran 1 mile (which is a huge accomplishment for me!) then walked until I got to 20 minutes at 1.35 miles. I would have gone longer but I places to be! I feel like I'm starting my training from the beginning but that's ok because it's a 12 week program and I have way more than 12 weeks until my race!

Great job getting after it!

Here's a cautionary tale for everyone when it comes to training that's the opposite. I love training. It's probably my favorite aspect of the whole thing (I'm a journey vs. a destination kind of guy). Last Friday, I finally took a day off after two straight weeks of daily workouts without a break. Then on Saturday, I opted for a very intense track workout, which really left me worn out. Here's what I did
1 mile warm-up
8x100 at Zone 4 w/ 100 recovery in between
6x200 at Zone 4 w/ 200 recovery in between
4x400 at Zone 3 w/ 300 recovery in between
2x800 at Zone 3 w/ 400 recovery in between
800 ish cool down

I was a bit sore, but mostly just tired, sleepy in fact, when it was over. On Sunday, I did a very easy 30 minute spin on the bike of pure recovery, just to keep loose. After a poor night's sleep, I woke on Monday morning completely exhausted. I felt like I hadn't slept at all and the simplest movements had me out of breath. I feared that I was coming down with the flu, and even wound up missing work. Back at work today, but still plenty tired. I plan on another day without workouts tomorrow, and then I'll reassess. A good reminder to keep an eye on the rest. Just because you can workout, doesn't always mean that you should!

Edited by tedjohn 2016-01-26 10:03 PM
2016-01-27 9:42 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Originally posted by tedjohn

• A good reminder to keep an eye on the rest. Just because you can workout, doesn't always mean that you should!

• Very good advice!
    2016-01-27 9:43 AM

User image

Great job!!!!
    2016-01-28 2:41 AM
    in reply to: #5158247

User image

A good reminder to keep an eye on the rest. Just because you can workout, doesn't always mean that you should!

Yes a cautionary tail that i have actually taken heed of this week!!!
    Despite planning to do some very light training following my injury i have woken up every day feeling exhausted. I did go back to work this week and maybe healing and work is enough for week 2 post injury!!
    Hoping that at least one day over the weekend i can manage a short static cycle workout but we will see......as my boss said to me last week....health first Annabelle. (And he is an NHS consultant!!!!)

2016-01-28 7:14 AM
    in reply to: #5163921

User image

Good morning everyone,
    Anabelle I think it is a good I idea to take it one day at a time.
    Amy way to go on your mile!! It is important to celebrate the achievements.
    TJ thanks for the advice about the strength training. I am doing my second strength workout this week. I do one at home and a second at the gym making sure I get in my leg curls.
    I am having a good week training wise. I swam and feel as though I'm making headway with my mental block on how far I can swim. When I swam last year in my triathlon I got it done but it wasn't my best. I am working on my drills today, I'm going to get a family member to video my run, bike and swim so I can see how I am doing. I am excited because I am sticking with my yoga and 2 strength workouts. This is something that normally falls off if life gets busy.
    Ted you asked about goals here is my plan and has worked out well this week.
    Monday short bike then strength, Tuesday yoga, Wednesday medium swim and short run, Thursday long swim and strength training, Friday is long bike, Saturday is off, Sunday is short swim with my boys and a long run.
    My work schedule is broken up so that I have free time from 8-11:15 almost every morning this is when I get my workouts in.

Well time to get into the pool and get to swimming.
    Have a great day!
    Nicole
    2016-01-28 7:23 AM
    in reply to: #5163934

User image

I forgot to say, I kicked it up on my run yesterday and ran an 11.5 minute mile. I only got in 1.375 mile(11) laps but was able to move a bit faster. Now to be able to sustain it and get faster for the 3.1 miles.
    Crawl, walk, run.
    Nicole
    2016-01-29 2:52 PM
    in reply to: nekomidori

Middleton, Wisconsin
    My very first sprint tri is June 12! I have read on more than 1 blog that for your first tri it's ok to have any bike. What do you recommend? I have a birthday 3 weeks before my Tri and I could ask my parents for a bike but I'm not sure I want anyone spending a ton of money on one until I know I want to do more races or at least bike a lot more! The bike is a mountain bike (I think), nothing fancy. I was going to take it to a local bike store to see if they could at least adjust the seat and handle bars for me.
    2016-01-29 4:38 PM

User image

My very first sprint tri is June 12! I have read on more than 1 blog that for your first tri it's ok to have any bike. What do you recommend? I have a birthday 3 weeks before my Tri and I could ask my parents for a bike but I'm not sure I want anyone spending a ton of money on one until I know I want to do more races or at least bike a lot more! The bike is a mountain bike (I think), nothing fancy. I was going to take it to a local bike store to see if they could at least adjust the seat and handle bars for me.

Congrats on getting signed up!!

I've only done 2 sprints (last spring) and I used my Trek Hybrid for the events. There were other "non racing" bikes in both events; both were billed as good for first timers. So, go with what you have. Also if there is a local Tri club they might be able to point you in the direction of someone who has a bike to sale; or your local bike shop may have some trade ins they'd let u borrow. Regardless, others will be at your event on similar bikes. Hold off spending the $$$ until you are sure you want to continue.

Others with more experience here will also have some advice. For my events this year I'll be using a road bike my son put together for me....
    2016-01-29 9:19 PM
    in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Regular
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Originally posted by 2NewKnees

Congrats on getting signed up!!

I've only done 2 sprints (last spring) and I used my Trek Hybrid for the events. There were other "non racing" bikes in both events; both were billed as good for first timers. So, go with what you have. Also if there is a local Tri club they might be able to point you in the direction of someone who has a bike to sale; or your local bike shop may have some trade ins they'd let u borrow. Regardless, others will be at your event on similar bikes. Hold off spending the $$$ until you are sure you want to continue.

Others with more experience here will also have some advice. For my events this year I'll be using a road bike my son put together for me....

For sprint races, it's true that any bike is fine. You will see all different kinds of bikes for these races. If you decide you want to do more races, longer races, or just go faster, that's the time to start thinking about another bike. When I started, it had been some time since I had my own bike. I purchased a road bike to start and raced for several years before getting a dedicated triathlon bike. When you are ready to get something nicer, I'd work with a local bike shop to get options. They can also help you to be sure that your bike has a proper fit. A good fitting bike is just as important as good fitting shoes in my opinion.

2016-01-31 3:38 PM

User image

, Ohio
    Hi Ted (and everyone),

I am new to triathlons. I started training in late August and did my first indoor tri January 3rd. It was fun and I registered for my first sprint tri (June 4th) the next day.

In the past I have been a bike racer, a distance rider, a kayaking instructor, and a swim instructor/lifeguard. I had twins 8 years ago and stopped doing about everything. It's good to be back on the bike and in the pool again but I really suck as a runner.

I'm hoping to get some motivation and advice from this group. Especially advice!

Mandy

(Mandy and Leo cropped.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    Mandy and Leo cropped.jpg (115KB - 5 downloads)
    2016-01-31 4:05 PM

User image

I had my son video my swim on the water and it was good for me to see what is happening. I am feeling tired in my arms while swimming and was wondering if I am wasting energy on my strokes. I watched some videos about the arm stroke and feel I haven't been getting my elbow high enough or turning enough on my side while I reach. I did get some good ideas for new drills.
    I then ran while at my son's soccer practice. I did some hills sprints and really got my heart rate going. I felt my chest burning and did some jogging through it. I did have to walk a bit then get back into my jog. I haven't done hill sprints in a while.

I am feeling a bit tired. I am glad I had a day off yesterday from work and training. I try to have it an off day from chores and take it easy that day as well.

Amy- I ride a road bike and have thought about different upgrades but so far the best one is my new seat at Christmas time. I did get my bike adjusted for me at the bike shop and then again after getting clip in pedals. That made a huge difference in my knees. I was getting pain in them. We picked up used road bikes for my boys and got mine on a huge discount and a sale.(My husband gets one because he is on the US Military Endurance Team)
    2016-01-31 4:07 PM
    in reply to: Torchwkr

User image

Welcome Mandy,
    I'm glad you found us. There are some great people here that have some great info to share.
    2016-01-31 9:32 PM
    in reply to: nekomidori

Nice to meet you Mandy.

Off to the pool tomorrow. Today I had a run planned but the road is glare ice to that's kinda out were going to count building to snowman with my daughter as some for exercise today. Yesterday I actually rode 50 min straight on my trainer very impressed with my self. So it sounds like I have some rescheduling of my training to do trying to schedule that run in some time next week but it shows as my recovery week would it be bad to do a long run in there on a day off if I'm already recovering today right ??

I seen that swim workout above and holy crap no wonder your sore and stiff the next day. I might have drowned.

The other great news this week is that my boyfriend gave me the entry to my next race for my birthday yeah that's pretty sweet. Now lets sign up.
    2016-02-01 8:35 AM

User image

Regular
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Mandy,

Welcome to the group! Please feel free to ask questions. There is a lot of collective experience in this group.

All,

Snowy here today in Colorado. My rest has extended thanks to a pesky little stomach bug! Nothing in the way of workouts so I'll be well recovered as soon as able to get back after it. Today, it's sitting by the fire and relaxing.

Take care!

2016-02-01 10:04 AM

User image

Hi all,
    I just wanted to put out there if any one is on these different sites logging their workouts they work great for me. I have them set up so they all talk to each other a certain way.
    Strava, mapmyfitness(it is great for the pool), myfitnesspal, and of course on here as well. I find it is great encouragement with others on the apps on my phone. Nicole Buckwalter

I got sidetracked with life so I got a late start today but got in a ride on the trainer.
    warm up at 10 minute zone 1-2 (zone 1; 8-12 mph, zone 2; 12-16)
    90-100 cadence 1 min zone 2-3 (zone 3; 16-20 mph)
    pedal normal speed 2 min zone 2
    pedal fast(.100 rpm if possible) 1 min zone 2
    pedal normal speed 2 min zone 2
    repeat it minus the warm up
    pedal slightly faster than normal speed 10 min zone 2
    pedal normal speed easing off 1 min zone 2-1

I cut it short and didn't do the repeat due to time.
    I will get in my strength training after work, before dinner.

Enjoy the inside time for those that are stuck because of weather. Resting is part of the training too. Sometimes it is the hardest part.
    2016-02-01 10:16 AM

User image

Great to have you in the group!!!!!
    2016-02-01 10:18 AM

User image

Originally posted by tedjohn
    All,

Snowy here today in Colorado. My rest has extended thanks to a pesky little stomach bug! Nothing in the way of workouts so I'll be well recovered as soon as able to get back after it. Today, it's sitting by the fire and relaxing.

Take care!

Good luck with that nasty stomach bug.....rest and relaxing the best thing to do...

Oh, enjoy the snow!!
    2016-02-01 11:32 AM
    in reply to: #5163938

Good morning Ted.
    Is there a fee for being in the beginner group?
    2016-02-01 11:37 AM
    in reply to: Keith Barber

User image

Regular
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Originally posted by Keith Barber

Good morning Ted.
    Is there a fee for being in the beginner group?

No fee. It' all free!

2016-02-01 5:53 PM

User image

I'm so excited I got in my strength training. Now for some dinner.
    2016-02-02 10:28 AM

User image

My name is Jon Tomberlin and I live in Detroit, MI. I'm married to my beautiful wife Katie and we have a 4 year old boy.

I have never raced before but I have always wanted to do a triathlon. Last December I was talking to one of my friends and I find out he was on the Michigan State Triathlon team. So I told him about my dream and he challenged me to start training for a triathlon race in September. The problem is that he lives a few hours away and he's very busy with his job, so it's really hard for him to teach me.

Right now I've been just getting back into swimming, and biking. I've been mountain biking for the last two years but I've never done road biking before. My experience on running is NONE. So, as you can see I'm a beginner at this incredible sport that I've been learning in the past month.

My goal is to sign up for two Sprint races this year and maybe an Olympic depending on my Sprint race results.

Not sure if you have any open spots but I would love to join your group. I've been reading about triathlons and there's so much to learn. Sometimes I feel I don't even know where to start and how to start my training So, I was hoping I could have some help.

Thanks.
    2016-02-02 10:31 AM
    in reply to: Jon Tomberlin

User image

Regular
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Jon,

Welcome to the group. We're happy to have you join us!

Ted
    2016-02-02 9:50 PM

User image

Pro
    Melbourne FL
    Gold member

Hi All,

Life has been busy, work is exploding and its taking a lot of my time.  Balancing family, work and training in that order best I can. We are a 4 person business so when it rain it pours and this is usually our slow time, I blame El Nino!

Any way, I had to take the last 2 weeks as work and family time, training was the red-headed step child.  But Monday was 18 weeks until A-race sprint day so I have started to focus in what I need to do. Feb will be a 3 run, 3 bike, 2 swim / wk month to get me going.  I need to develop my training plan. Since I've been here so long (2004) I've learned the ways of writing a workout in Excel and saving as a csv file to import into BT.  I also print out the month calendars of the plan and pin then by my desk so I don't skip.  I also nee dot bring some workout clothing to work for when the work mornings dictate I must be in the office before 10:30am. Yes I hate mornings!

Yesterday I did an nice run 2.8mi from the car dealership when I dropped the auto off for 50k maintenance and today restarted the BT Winter Cycling plan from week 6 (8 as listed with the optional 1st 2 weeks).  Hopefully I can will myself to the Y for some swimming tomorrow morning...

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ted's Sprint Group (Beginner & Experienced Welcome) Rss Feed  

of 14

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
    Views: 6368 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 17507 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : November 29, 2011
    author : Pnlop
    comments : 0
    First race went better than expected!

date : October 4, 2011
    author : MikeyT1298
    comments : 6
    First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
    date : August 8, 2011
    author : Gina60
    comments : 16
    I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
    author : Trmlo
    comments : 10
    At 66 years old, I completed my first sprint triathlon!
    date : May 27, 2011
    author : sdswriter
    comments : 15
    A Middle-Aged, First-Time Triathlete Overcomes the Elements and Takes Care of Some Unfinished Business

date : May 19, 2011
    author : alicefoeller
    comments : 3
    First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
    date : April 27, 2011
    author : brumby11
    comments : 5
    An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : November 27, 2005
    author : Rich Strauss
    comments : 0
    Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.