BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-11-21 9:32 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed
Impressive performance by Lionel but not surprising. He's done well there before and seemed to come into it well prepared and with a chip on his shoulder after 70.3 Worlds and Kona. I know he's working with David Tillbury-Davis now, so I wonder if any coaching came into play for IMAZ or if the coaching won't begin in earnest until the offseason. I'll be interested to read his race report.

2016-11-21 9:34 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Impressive result for Lionel for sure!  

Pretty impressive result for yourself too Marc!

2016-11-21 9:55 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

My "race" was more of an experiment than anything.
As you may remember, I am diabetic, can't really take on calories so was really uncertain if this was even a possibility.

The problem is I can only take on about 100-150 calories per hour. It's hard to pinpoint the exact number. So in theory I should be bonking late in the bike or on the run. It's very hard to simulate in training so I decided last minute to give it a try and didn't want to really talk about it given it would probably result in a trip to the med tent.

But it went well. I went pretty easy the whole way. The only problem was my glucose meter stopped working, probably due to behng rattled too much on the bike course. So I was kind of going blind first part of the race. I was feeling dizzy on the bike so was a little concerned so I went to the med tent to check twice and it was ok. I check it at the med tent half way through the run.

The problem of not having a meter is as soon as you think something is wrong you can't check. So I would walk to see if it got better. And during that marathon your mind plays tricks with your body. Especially after 30km. I did get dizzy a few times, thought it may be low blood sugar but it wasn't.

But it all turned out fine. I average 102 calories per hour for the entire event. I was low at the end but within reason. I did go at a relaxed paced however. I did get a little carried away running with a woman that was gunning for a Kona slot. We ran about 25min together at about a 5:10/km pace and that probably didn't help me.

IF (big IF) I did another there are things I would do differently. I would push the bike a bit more and run the first 10km much easier and make sure I have a backup glucose meter in my special needs bag.
2016-11-21 10:02 AM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis

Impressive performance by Lionel but not surprising. He's done well there before and seemed to come into it well prepared and with a chip on his shoulder after 70.3 Worlds and Kona. I know he's working with David Tillbury-Davis now, so I wonder if any coaching came into play for IMAZ or if the coaching won't begin in earnest until the offseason. I'll be interested to read his race report.

I think Lionel has figured out what he needs to do to win. He comes out of the water and just hammers to catch up. Sometimes he will blow up, sometimes it will work. I think he learned this at worlds 70.3

Lionel is the kind of guy that isn't ready to hand over the steering wheel IMO. But he is surrounding himself with some great advisors. It's unfortunate he spends less time on ST as he is a wealth of information and a really straight shooter. He fiancé Erin is also a really nice lady and a great manager for him because she always puts his interests first
2016-11-21 10:54 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag

My "race" was more of an experiment than anything. As you may remember, I am diabetic, can't really take on calories so was really uncertain if this was even a possibility. The problem is I can only take on about 100-150 calories per hour. It's hard to pinpoint the exact number. So in theory I should be bonking late in the bike or on the run. It's very hard to simulate in training so I decided last minute to give it a try and didn't want to really talk about it given it would probably result in a trip to the med tent. But it went well. I went pretty easy the whole way. The only problem was my glucose meter stopped working, probably due to behng rattled too much on the bike course. So I was kind of going blind first part of the race. I was feeling dizzy on the bike so was a little concerned so I went to the med tent to check twice and it was ok. I check it at the med tent half way through the run. The problem of not having a meter is as soon as you think something is wrong you can't check. So I would walk to see if it got better. And during that marathon your mind plays tricks with your body. Especially after 30km. I did get dizzy a few times, thought it may be low blood sugar but it wasn't. But it all turned out fine. I average 102 calories per hour for the entire event. I was low at the end but within reason. I did go at a relaxed paced however. I did get a little carried away running with a woman that was gunning for a Kona slot. We ran about 25min together at about a 5:10/km pace and that probably didn't help me. IF (big IF) I did another there are things I would do differently. I would push the bike a bit more and run the first 10km much easier and make sure I have a backup glucose meter in my special needs bag.

Good stuff Marc, congratulations again!

Did the woman get her KQ spot?

2016-11-21 11:22 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran

Did the woman get her KQ spot?

No, but she did run a 3:43 3rd fastes marathon time. Her swim seems to be her achilles heel

2016-11-21 12:39 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

x2!

Glad you got through it safely without the glucose meter.

Curious - how do you manage insulin during a long course race?

Edited by spudone 2016-11-21 12:41 PM
2016-11-21 1:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by spudone

x2!

That's the problem. I'm not on insulin (yet). Unlike Like T1s, I can't shoot insulin to cover my carbs so I must manage my carbs.
I am half way between a T1 and a T2. My body produces a little bit of insulin but if my glucose levels get high I become super insulin resistant meaning the insulin doesn't 'work"
If my glucose levels go above 230, my body accumulates insulin and then it "kicks in" at once and I go hypo and that would be a major bonk.
So I need to keep my glucose between 126 and 180. But to do that means very little calories and some monitoring.

On a Half I know how many calories I need and I know it's below my threshold. What I didn't know is if I could go 6, 7 or 12 hours rather than the half distance

Edited by marcag 2016-11-21 1:07 PM
2016-11-21 1:11 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by spudone

x2!

That's the problem. I'm not on insulin (yet). Unlike Like T1s, I can't shoot insulin to cover my carbs so I must manage my carbs. I am half way between a T1 and a T2. My body produces a little bit of insulin but if my glucose levels get high I become super insulin resistant meaning the insulin doesn't 'work" If my glucose levels go above 230, my body accumulates insulin and then it "kicks in" at once and I go hypo and that would be a major bonk. So I need to keep my glucose between 126 and 180. But to do that means very little calories and some monitoring.

I would guess a T1 would require an implanted pump to race.  In some ways your situation sounds trickier.  But it's good that you've figured out all those quirks over time, before jumping to full IM distance.  Great result and my hat's off to you.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 55324 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.