BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-02-01 5:11 PM
in reply to: Murph333

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed
Originally posted by Murph333

IMMT is Aug 21

Wedding is Sept 4

Do a stag in Montreal after IMMT.

Montreal can be an 'interesting' city for a stag.

2016-02-01 9:11 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by Murph333

IMMT is Aug 21

Wedding is Sept 4

Do a stag in Montreal after IMMT.

Montreal can be an 'interesting' city for a stag.

Dinner at Houston, evening at Wanda's or Supersex…..

Ohhh i miss Montreal
2016-02-02 7:31 PM
in reply to: Murph333

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jim-congrats on the engagement!

More Vo2 intervals on the bike this evening.  Felt pretty good but it is warm and humid here and I left a puddle of sweat on the garage floor.  Medium run tomorrow and maybe an easy recovery spin on the bike.  Last 2 days of swimming have been miserable!  

2016-02-02 10:16 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Expert
MS: 7x(5mins @ 220-230/3mins easy)

70mins

NP 201 W AVG 181 W

Did this at 930pm after having been at work all day since 7 AM. Was surprised I had the energy to not only do this, but do it well! Now time for bed.
2016-02-03 9:27 AM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Normally on my swim days I do a quick run when I get home from work, then make dinner, put the kids to bed and head out to the pool for 8:30. Sometimes if I can't squeeze the run in after work I'll do it when I get home from the pool.

Last night I was tired (youngest daughter kept us up the night before) and didn't have the time/energy to do the after work run, but also didn't like the idea of going for a run at 10pm. So I did my run right before heading to the pool.

Turns out I actually felt great in the water and finished my main set of 10x200 on 20s rest feeling as good as I've ever felt at the end of a set like that. So I'm now thinking about changing things up and trying to always do my run closer to pool time. Not sure how legit of a warm-up it is since it's still a 30min drive to the pool, but I liked how I felt in the pool last night.
2016-02-03 11:24 AM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Extreme Veteran
90min on the bike with 4x15min low cadence/big gear work.
Short run later today although freezing rain is making that less fun

Tomorrow I am invited to a fitting session with a pro working on his aero. Should be fun.

2016-02-03 12:34 PM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Congrats Jim!

Way to work all, some nice workouts being posted. Did an hour Sweet spot work on the trainer last night and then dragged my tired butt out of bed this a.m. at 530 to do my 6 miles of hill work. It's looking like a good decision because its pouring right now and the rain is supposed to continue in to this evening. Glad I got it done.
2016-02-03 6:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
South Alabama

OK gang, here is a question that I typically ask at some point in every group.  Since we are all into our gear and gadgets my question is: What is the best gear you have relating to triathlon racing/training.  You know, something you bought that exceeded expectations or just does exactly what it is suppose to do.

For me I have 2 things.  The first is the bike rack on my car.  It is made by 1up USA and is awesome. Well made, secure and easy/quick to use when transporting the bike.  I have driven all over with this thing and never had an issue with it.      https://www.1upusa.com/product-quikracksilver.html . Somewhat pricey for a bike rack but worth every penny over the last 6+ years.

The other is my trainer...which is actually a set of rollers.  I am on my second set as the first rusted out after living with the sweat of workouts, poor cleaning and the humidity of my garage.  I have been much better about caring for the second set by wiping them down after each use.  Very realistic road feel. No need for a trainer tire and the ability to do hard intervals with the magnetic resistance.  Expensive for a trainer but since I do almost all of my rides during the week on them they are worth it to me.  http://www.insideride.com/

Edited by slornow 2016-02-03 6:59 PM
2016-02-04 4:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by slornow

OK gang, here is a question that I typically ask at some point in every group.  Since we are all into our gear and gadgets my question is: What is the best gear you have relating to triathlon racing/training.  You know, something you bought that exceeded expectations or just does exactly what it is suppose to do.

Hands down, my computrainer. We are stuck inside 5 if not 6 months of the year + rain days + days you only have 1 hour, the CT has allowed me to do optimal workouts, tons of testing, experimentations with positions, race simulations and entertainment.

While there is lots of debate whether a Kickr is a better investment today, I can tell you a CT has been a great investment. If it died tomorrow I am not sure what I would replace it with.
2016-02-04 9:09 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I'm with Marc on the computrainer. It gets more use than anything else I have ever bought for triathlon. My wife has essentially shut down my road riding so the CT is used for almost every bike session. Randy, I keep looking at those e-motion rollers. That may be what I ask for next year at Christmas or for my birthday. I have a cheap set of rollers currently but they require a level of focus that I don't always have......

The other thing that I love is my Desoto Riviera (and now forza-they upgraded the forza pad last year) tri shorts. Desoto makes shorts with the nicest pad that I have found. I wear them almost exclusively for training. When I put on a different brand of shorts for a session I invariably wish that I would have dug out a pair of Desotos. I think they are actually nicer than dedicated bike shorts when it comes to comfort and the pad "disappears" on the run.
2016-02-04 9:12 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
A couple other things.

1. Congratulations Jim. Very cool.

2. Return to training is going very well. I have been cranking out some harder sessions in the pool and on the bike and the knee is absorbing that punishment just fine. Tonight is the first run since surgery. How that goes will help determine the direction I take in training for the next two months. I'm keeping my fingers crosses that all goes well.

2016-02-04 11:25 AM

User image

Oakville

VO2 bike on Monday - 6 x 4 @ 109-110% and then longer endurance ride last night - 1.5 hours @ 75 - 80%.

I was not looking forward to the 6 x 4 VO2 session, but managed to get through it by psychologically bargaining with myself that I could shorten the last 2 intervals to 3 minutes if I felt like I couldn't make it (for me, just the idea that I have the option to bail on a training session really helps get through some days). 

Jason - best of luck on your run tonight!  Hopefully all goes well.  I've been dealing with a few aches and pains lately as I increase my weekly run and bike load and am always conscious of pushing too hard and then being out of commission for a prolonged period.

Randy - great question.  For running, it would have to be the Forerunner 305 with the HR monitor.  My wife bought it for me after my 1st year of racing and my first reaction was, neat toy but I don't really think I'll use it.  My training at that time was to run the exact distance of my next race as fast as I could a few times each week.  I bought Friel's book on training with HR and it really changed how I trained and how I paced a run. 

For the bike, the Fluid 2 trainer initially with virtual power and then with a PM.  I use Golden Cheetah and can see the progression of my CP from the first testing we did in the Power Mentor Group.

For the swim, I'm still waiting for that one piece of equipment that will be game changer and improve my swim time

2016-02-04 11:29 AM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Originally posted by wannabefaster

The other thing that I love is my Desoto Riviera (and now forza-they upgraded the forza pad last year) tri shorts. Desoto makes shorts with the nicest pad that I have found. I wear them almost exclusively for training. When I put on a different brand of shorts for a session I invariably wish that I would have dug out a pair of Desotos. I think they are actually nicer than dedicated bike shorts when it comes to comfort and the pad "disappears" on the run.

I agree on the Desoto shorts, definitely my favorite pair of tri shorts. The only thing that bugs me is the extra bit of material at the bottom of the leg above the knee. There always seems to be a gap between my leg and the bottom of the shorts.

I would say my favorite thing would be TrainerRoad. I've been a member since the fall of 2012 and it has been flawless. I started with virtual power and have now changed to using a powermeter. Their plans give me the structured workouts that I need. It also makes riding the trainer much more bearable when you can follow along and know exactly what effort you should be riding at. For $10 bucks a month I find it a very worthwhile investment.
2016-02-04 11:35 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Oakville

Does anyone follow Lionel Sanders blog posts on 'lsanderstri.com'?

He did a recap of his win at Panama 70.3 and talks about the power output on the bike:

"I started pushing 330w for the first little while, but initially this felt a bit too easy. By about halfway on the bike I had got the average up to about 345w, and my average speed was close to 46kph."

Holding that kind of power and then to average 333 watts for the entire race is just insane to me.  The guy is a beast!

2016-02-04 12:06 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow

For me I have 2 things.  The first is the bike rack on my car.  It is made by 1up USA and is awesome. Well made, secure and easy/quick to use when transporting the bike.  I have driven all over with this thing and never had an issue with it.      https://www.1upusa.com/product-quikracksilver.html . Somewhat pricey for a bike rack but worth every penny over the last 6+ years.

The other is my trainer...which is actually a set of rollers.  I am on my second set as the first rusted out after living with the sweat of workouts, poor cleaning and the humidity of my garage.  I have been much better about caring for the second set by wiping them down after each use.  Very realistic road feel. No need for a trainer tire and the ability to do hard intervals with the magnetic resistance.  Expensive for a trainer but since I do almost all of my rides during the week on them they are worth it to me.  http://www.insideride.com/

does nutrition count as gear?
I'd say Infinit was a game changer. Added electrolytes, added calories all to fit ME. Not to mention it dissolves completely and doesn't get nasty in the heat. Total winner!

I also found a pair of goggles that fit my small face perfectly this year - AS Kaimen EXO.
2016-02-04 12:57 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Scott71

He did a recap of his win at Panama 70.3 and talks about the power output on the bike:

"I started pushing 330w for the first little while, but initially this felt a bit too easy. By about halfway on the bike I had got the average up to about 345w, and my average speed was close to 46kph."

Holding that kind of power and then to average 333 watts for the entire race is just insane to me.  The guy is a beast!

Great find.

I am a total Lionel Sanders fanboy. He is a monster. I love his drive and his ability to accept the punishment of extreme training day after day. There was a video on the internet last year (posted by his girlfriend/fiancé, I believe) of him sobbing uncontrollably at the end of an interval on the bike. I take myself to some ugly places in training but when it gets that hard on the bike I back off. I just can't imagine taking my training to the point where it made me cry and instead of quitting, keeping going.

I have informed my wife that if we ever get another dog its name will be Lionel Sanders.

2016-02-04 4:21 PM

User image

Oakville

Great find. I am a total Lionel Sanders fanboy. He is a monster. I love his drive and his ability to accept the punishment of extreme training day after day. There was a video on the internet last year (posted by his girlfriend/fiancé, I believe) of him sobbing uncontrollably at the end of an interval on the bike. I take myself to some ugly places in training but when it gets that hard on the bike I back off. I just can't imagine taking my training to the point where it made me cry and instead of quitting, keeping going. I have informed my wife that if we ever get another dog its name will be Lionel Sanders.

A few years ago, Lionel did a Q&A session at the year end awards for one of the local tri series in Ontario.

He comes across as real down to earth guy with no arrogance or ego.

I had the chance to race with him a few times in 2014.  All I saw was a lime green streak fly by me on the bike as he was heading back to T2.

2016-02-04 6:34 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
There have been quite a few tools that have been game-changers for me... heart rate monitor, treadmill, mag-trainer... the two that really stand out for me in terms of "wow I should have done this a long time ago" are good bike shorts and a power meter w/ trainerroad.

I've always just bought whatever the cheapest bikes shorts I can get is, but when I finally pulled the trigger on a decent pair (Zoot TT bibshorts in this case) the difference was so big it just seemed ridiculous the amount of money I had been trying to save.

The power meter was not cheap, but I'm really happy with the results I've been getting with trainerroad. I'll echo Kevin's thoughts that it's great to have structured workouts with clear targets, within a structured training plan with a clear progression.

Another Lionel Sanders fanboy here. The hell he seems to put himself through and the ridiculous things he is able to accomplish on the bike and run are really inspiring. It's been fun to watch him develop over the last few years. He, Cody Beals and Taylor Reid are really doing Ontario proud. Lionel and Cody in particular have really great blogs and are both very open with what they share, very interesting reading.
2016-02-04 7:25 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Marc,

Anything to share with us after the fit with the pro? What did you learn? Any super special nuggets of wisdom?

Interesting enough, one of the therapists where I am doing my PT is FIST (Fit Institute Slow Twitch) certified in bike fitting. He did his training with Dan Empfield himself. Apparently they think that a good bike fit would be beneficial to my future knee health so I am getting an insurance sponsored tweaking of my bike fit next week. I have never been truly happy with my current fit and have been tinkering with it pretty heavily for the last six months or so. I am curious what a professional fitter will say my fit looks like now....

Also, an update on favorite pieces of equipment..... that Alter-G treadmill is the bomb. It was very cool to be able to alter my perceived weight while running. I found that anything below 60% of my weight felt too weird, like I wasn't really putting my foot down properly. The PT wanted me to run at 65% but we finally agreed on 75% where I ran for 25 minutes. Very fun. Of course I don't have $20,000 laying around so it will only be my favorite piece of equipment for the next week or two.
2016-02-04 9:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Originally posted by Scott71

Great find.

I am a total Lionel Sanders fanboy. He is a monster. I love his drive and his ability to accept the punishment of extreme training day after day. There was a video on the internet last year (posted by his girlfriend/fiancé, I believe) of him sobbing uncontrollably at the end of an interval on the bike. I take myself to some ugly places in training but when it gets that hard on the bike I back off. I just can't imagine taking my training to the point where it made me cry and instead of quitting, keeping going.

I have informed my wife that if we ever get another dog its name will be Lionel Sanders.

Ha! Guess who the pro that I spent the afternoon with was ?

I'll post pics tomorrow.

Super cool dude. We talked about many things. He is a bright and very personable individual. A lot happened in 5 hours of fitting.

I have 'raced him' 3 times. My last comment dropping him off at the airport is I was gunning for him at 70.3 Tremblant. I could feel the fear.

Edited by marcag 2016-02-04 9:57 PM
2016-02-05 7:54 AM

User image

Oakville

Very cool Marc.  In his last blog post, Lionel talks about stretching out his fit before Panama 70.3 - moving his bars forward an inch and his seat back an inch.  Seemed like a pretty aggressive change.

What do you think the aero penalty is for that mustache?

2016-02-05 7:58 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Marc-that is awesome. Can't wait to get  some helpful hints on getting more aero.

One of the guys on my tri team has started a kickstarter for a one piece multi-tool for cyclists.  Pretty neat. Rob is a great guy.  Here is the link.  Worth a look.

https://www.facebook.com/teamfeltul/?pnref=story

2016-02-05 8:04 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

That is very cool Marc.  I'm super interested to hear what you got from him through those 5 hours - and vice versa.  Like others I'm a big Lionel fan, but get frustrated by what seems like his unwillingness or inability to choose a coach that can properly manage his training regime.  Glad he's been working with someone on the open water swim piece, but would love to see him find someone he can commit to all round.

Where did you do the aero testing?  I know Garneau has done testing at the Milton Velodrome before, and had wondered if they would ever get him out this way with the team from Alphamantis.

2016-02-05 8:06 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
Ontario

6x3min@115% on 3min RI last night, and it almost broke me.  I missed the past few bike sessions so this may have felt even harder than it was, but each rest  interval I had to take it a little easier than the previous one to try and recuperate.  Didn't think I was going to have the legs for the last one given how I felt through the 4th one.

2016-02-05 8:53 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Hopefully turned a corner with 3 weeks of work travel and a lot of short-on-sleep nights for me. I just managed to make my workouts and not get sick (so far) so counting it in the "win" column. I have been able to follow along with the group via email updates, but sorry for being AWOL.

Randy, most of my "game changers" haven't been equipment, but here they are regardless:

1) Coach. After 19 years of doing it myself, I started working with a coach seven years ago. Making the switch from "working out lots and lots" to actually "training" has made a huge difference in my results. Sometimes I miss all the working out (I spend A LOT) less time now but my performance is much better).

2) Masters Swimming. Single smartest thing i have ever done relative to training was joining masters 4 years ago, and the program I work with is not even a very good one.

3) training by effort and time (except on the track and in the pool)

4) Proper bike fitting.

5) Road Bike.

6) Powermeter.

7) Smart Trainer.

8) and while they are now completed ubiquitous, I really think we forget that gps watches and head units have made a HUGE impact on training in so many ways. i have been using various ones just about since they became consumer products, and the biggest change I noticed when I first started using them was that I explore a lot more; I don't feel nearly the compulsion to run the same routes over and over again like I always did 10~15 years ago for some reason.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 55327 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.