BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-07-25 6:34 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

Master
, California
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed

Well, I feel like I could go for an hour jog today no problem EXCEPT I somehow got a blister on the arch of my foot.  Super annoying.  I'll give it a few days...

2016-07-26 7:44 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Great job in Whistler Mark, it sounds like a really tough course!  The 70.3 there intrigues me somewhat.

Since Marc asked, I may join in here once in a while.  As a brief bio to those that don't know me, I'm Arend (pronounced like running an errand).  Basically, I'm a swimmer that also does ok on the bike leg and then that pesky run leg gets in the way.    My only tri so far this year has been a DNF at Challenge St Andrews due to a myriad of issues.  I've done a couple of TTs and a bike race as well.  Currently dealing with an annoying issue with my hip (the main issue for the DNF).

2016-07-26 10:31 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
, California

I think people really enjoyed the 70.3 this year.  And frankly, it may be saving that race because registration numbers were down on the full.

The village is great because of the recent winter olympics with lots of stuff to do.  There are a ton of mountain bikers up there even during race week and you can go ziplining or ride the gondola across to Blackcomb, etc.

2016-07-26 5:48 PM

Master
, California

Also some photos from Whistler...

https://goo.gl/photos/G89AX86gvhP9jMFDA

We were staying at the Pan Pacific Whistler Village which is a really convenient location for the race.

2016-08-02 2:21 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Sorry for my extended absence.  Been following along periodically.

Jason-awesome job on the race.  Sounds like there is some real planning that needs to go into your race management rather than the usual transition between swim, bike and run.

Been doing OK in recovering from the knee surgery.  No issues when cycling but too long standing or sitting and it gets very stiff.  Had a little set back last week and was hobbling around.  Not sure why other than possibly spending a couple of long days driving.  I really don't see getting back to running anytime soon.  Should be swimming but my deep seated hatred of swimming has kept me from the pool since early June.  On the brighter side I biked a lot in July logging 1010 miles. I think my biggest volume month previously had been a bit over 600. So, I am pleased with that milestone.  I miss the running and racing but have been able to connect with a couple of great groups to ride with.

Keep at it folks!  I will do better about participation. 

2016-08-02 3:47 PM
in reply to: slornow

Master
, California

What surgery did you have?  I've had my ACL repaired on my left knee (twice), but I've bounced back pretty well.  It does take some time and rehab though.

2016-08-02 7:19 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by spudone

What surgery did you have?  I've had my ACL repaired on my left knee (twice), but I've bounced back pretty well.  It does take some time and rehab though.

I had ACL about 25 years ago.  This time it was scope for torn medial and lateral meniscus as well as removal of some "junk" per my doc.  I suspect what is slowing me down is that I have about an inch of bone on bone in the knee.   Hopefully it will continue to improve but I don't expect to be able to race the remainder of this year unless it is doing the bike leg of a relay. 

2016-08-03 3:08 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by slornow

Originally posted by spudone

I had ACL about 25 years ago.  This time it was scope for torn medial and lateral meniscus as well as removal of some "junk" per my doc.  I suspect what is slowing me down is that I have about an inch of bone on bone in the knee.   Hopefully it will continue to improve but I don't expect to be able to race the remainder of this year unless it is doing the bike leg of a relay. 

I hope it heals up quickly Randy!

The bike leg of a relay can be fun, I did just that this past weekend.  It was a very informal local duathlon, $20 for the team and no real rules other than be careful and don't be an idiot.  The transition area was just a section of grass where you could lay your bike on it's side.   The race was bike - run and draft legal (remember I said no real rules).  As a result most people use road bikes for the 17k bike.  It was basically a 28 minute hammerfest and a total blast.  There were 6 of us in a group (one of them my wife).  My team mate started the run about 30s out of the lead and managed to win it for us.  One of my favourite events of the year.  

2016-08-03 1:03 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I managed to beg one of my partners to stay over at work on Sunday morning which allows me to race our local Sprint Triathlon this weekend.

0.5 mile swim, 12 mile bike, 5 mile trail run.

This was the site of my first ever triathlon in 2006 (I think). It is a super fun, low key, grass-roots kind of race. I haven't raced it every year but I have made most of them between then and now. My 36 year old self couldn't touch my 45 year old times. :-) A testament to consistency and experience. I'm looking forward to bumping up against the red line for a little less than 90 minutes before heading in to work for the rest of the day.

I'm having a nice little training block this week. I am home alone so no one cares about me training for two hours in the evening. I miss my family but I might as well make use of the time. I had my best swim session ever on Monday. I actually felt fast in the water. Finished the session up with 10 x 50 on long rest and went :36 or better on all of them and did :34 for two of them (for perspective, my part-time swimmer daughter went :27 for a 50 last weekend so I know how slow I am but it was fast for me). I have dreamed of getting to 1:10 for a 100 and this gave me hope that it may be attainable. Of course, on Tuesday I struggled to hit the prescribed paces. Alas, swimming is an enigma.
2016-08-03 2:33 PM

Master
, California

It's funny my sprint speed hasn't dropped off a whole lot since my high school swimming days.  But endurance just ... ug.  Even last summer when I was unemployed and swimming a lot, I just can't seem to build speed on long swims.  I'll keep trying though.

2016-08-03 8:50 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Yeah..... as a guy who really learned to swim at age 35-36, speed has never been part of my repertoire. Like you, I'll keep trying :-)

2016-08-05 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Hey Jason, I wanted to say thank you!  In some thread on TT a week or two ago, you mentioned the Triathlon TV broadcast and talked it up pretty good....I paid for a subscription (think it was only like $11!) and have been enjoying WTS racing while riding on the trainer or running on the treadmill

Watched Brownlee absolutely bury himself in the Gold Coast race from earlier this year -- I do not have the ability to put myself anywhere near as deep in the pain cave as he did (hell, not even sure I really want that ability!).

2016-08-05 3:20 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran

Many of the ITU folks are in Montreal this weekend for a World Cup sprint.

I saw Eric Lagerstrom today and a few members of team USA heading out on their bikes.
2016-08-06 9:34 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Hey Jason, I wanted to say thank you!  In some thread on TT a week or two ago, you mentioned the Triathlon TV broadcast and talked it up pretty good....I paid for a subscription (think it was only like $11!) and have been enjoying WTS racing while riding on the trainer or running on the treadmill

Watched Brownlee absolutely bury himself in the Gold Coast race from earlier this year -- I do not have the ability to put myself anywhere near as deep in the pain cave as he did (hell, not even sure I really want that ability!).

Glad you like it. Some of the best money I spend on triathlon every year.

Those ITU guys, A Brownlee especially, just have another level of willingness to suffer that I just don't have.

Rode 90 miles today outside on the tri bike. It was reassuring that I could go that far with only moderate discomfort. About six miles in to the ride I was stung three times by bees. Not quite sure what happened but somehow the bees ended up inside my jersey. Unpleasant but not catastrophic. It's always something.....
2016-08-07 10:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Sprint done. Fantastic race. Won my AG. Not sure where I ended up OA as I had to leave to get to work.

They changed where they put transition this year. It added a mile to the bike and half mile to the run. All of the added run was uphill. Ouch! I could definitely feel the 90 miles on the bike from yesterday. Paid a little bit of a price for that..... :-)

Racing is so much fun. It really makes the training more fun too. This year I waited too long to start racing and my training started to get stale. I won't make that mistake in the future.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend of training or racing. Let us know what you are up to if you get a minute.

Edited by wannabefaster 2016-08-07 10:01 AM
2016-08-07 1:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congratulations Jason

there is an ITU world cup in Montreal this weekend. I was registered but intended to train through and 0 taper

So I was out doing a 3hr ride yesterday, laps at various power levels around the Formula 1 track which is really safe because there are no cars

Well.....a homeless guy on a 150lb steel bike, two bags of cans over his shoulders, hands off the steering going downhill, wrong direction of traffic plows into me.

Cracked frame, cracked zipp wheel and the guy took off. Its not like he would pay for the damages anyways, he probably only had about $10 of cans :-)

0 damage to me. I thought my knee may be a bit off but I ran with it this morning and it's fine

Called insurance : max $1000 with $1000 deductible. Great !!

I'm pretty sure the frame will get replaced at no or negligible cost, but what a PITA. I'll give Zipp a call

So I will go watch the ITU race :-)

Edited by marcag 2016-08-07 1:35 PM

2016-08-07 3:04 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Marc, that sucks. Glad that you made it out unscathed though. Life definitely deals out some crazy surprises sometimes.

Congrats on the AG win Jason, always nice to get a good race result to reinvigorate your training.

I've got my "new A-race" Oly next weekend and am travelling down to Philadelphia tomorrow for a few days. There is a pool where I'm going that they tell me is suitable for lane swimming but we'll see. Will be riding on a spin bike in the gym there but at least my run training will be unaffected. Not the end of the world during a taper anyways.
2016-08-07 8:17 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Master
South Alabama

Dang Marc...that is some bad luck.  Glad you escaped without injury.

Jason-awesome job.  Good thing about not racing early is that you are pumped to race heading into the latter part of the Summer.  Hope the good results continue at Steelhead.

For me, sixth straight week of 200+ miles biking. Ordered a mountain bike Friday and looking forward to riding it with my buddies this Fall.  Cannondale is running some good deals and that plus team discount at LBS made it tood goo to pass up.  Well, at least that is what I told my wife.  Mountain biking is not great down here but there are some decent trails within an hour. Looking forward to going up to Oak Mountain State Park near Birmingham for a few weekend trips this Fall.  Really good trails there and an excellent venue. 

2016-08-08 5:49 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Jason, congratulations on the AG win!  Marc, sucks on the wreck but I'm glad you escaped unscathed!

Our local cycling championships were yesterday.  It's a combined 17k TT in the morning and then a 66k road race in the afternoon.  My wife and I were both racing it, she had the fastest TT in her division and I was 2nd or 3rd (not sure who was in my division and I haven't seen the full results yet).  For the road race in the afternoon, it was a pretty intense ride for me.  You never know how those things will go, sometimes it's just a chill ride for a while and others are hard from the get go.  This one started out fairly easy for about 10 minutes and then things ramped up.  Lots of hard efforts on the hills took their toll on me.  I stayed with the lead group of 10-12 until about 10k from the finish when I finally cracked on a couple of back to back hills that I was going up at 500-600w and the guys were riding away from me.  NP up to that point in the race was about 260w.  Once I was dropped, I was done and just limped home as there was no one close to me from behind.  Not sure how I finished in the combined results as we had to leave because it turns out that my wife had been in a crash early in the race (and no one told me!).  A younger rider had made a sudden move in the middle of the pack and cut across her front wheel and took her down.  She has a broken clavicle that will need surgery and a ton of road rash.  This is the same shoulder that she separated 4 years ago from another bike wreck.    It really sucks, she was in fantastic bike shape and had a pretty good chance of winning the race.

2016-08-08 8:54 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Marc, sucks about the bike but I'm glad you came away unscathed.

Arend, that is horrible about your wife. What a bummer. Here's hoping she heals up quickly. It sucks that she has to have surgery but on the bright side, people can get back to activity pretty quickly after surgical fixation.
2016-08-09 4:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa
 She has a broken clavicle that will need surgery and a ton of road rash.  This is the same shoulder that she separated 4 years ago from another bike wreck.  

That really sucks.

I know she was a little shy to get back on the bike after the first accident. I hope it doesn't affect her passion for riding.

I got my frame replaced yesterday and all ready to go this AM, but have to admit I am a little spooked.

2016-08-09 10:49 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by axteraa  She has a broken clavicle that will need surgery and a ton of road rash.  This is the same shoulder that she separated 4 years ago from another bike wreck.  
That really sucks. I know she was a little shy to get back on the bike after the first accident. I hope it doesn't affect her passion for riding. I got my frame replaced yesterday and all ready to go this AM, but have to admit I am a little spooked.

She'll be back on the bike.  I would imagine she will avoid riding in a big group (especially people she doesn't know) for a while though.

2016-08-10 8:56 AM

User image

Oakville

Good morning all.  It has been awhile since I checked in. 

Sorry to hear about all the bike crashes.  There have been a few horrific bike accidents in my area recently and sadly it seems like it is becoming more common.   

Its been a busy summer and I've had a few races since my last post, with an Olympic this past weekend.  I mainly race Sprints and so this was only the 2nd Olympic of my tri career.  Really like the longer distances where you're not constantly redlining.

The swim was slow and uneventful but I felt really good on the bike and run.  I didn't quite manage the power that I was targeting but I think I paced it well as I felt really good on the run and managed to hold a fairly aggressive pace. 

I had no real goals of competing and was basically using the race to work on pacing and nutrition for my HIM in September.  Managed to win my age group and ended up 11th overall.  It was one of those "beer league" races in cottage country Ontario, but I'll take it. 

I have next weekend off but then back to back Sprints on the 21st and 28th.  When I planned my race schedule this summer I hadn't signed up for the HIM yet.  Finding it hard to work in the long runs and bike rides with races almost every other weekend. 

Question for those who race with power - looking at the average power for the Olympic I raced, would 90% of the AP be a fairly safe pace for the HIM?  

2016-08-10 9:03 AM

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by axteraa

Since Marc asked, I may join in here once in a while.  As a brief bio to those that don't know me, I'm Arend (pronounced like running an errand).  Basically, I'm a swimmer that also does ok on the bike leg and then that pesky run leg gets in the way.    My only tri so far this year has been a DNF at Challenge St Andrews due to a myriad of issues.  I've done a couple of TTs and a bike race as well.  Currently dealing with an annoying issue with my hip (the main issue for the DNF).

Hey Arend - I'm signed up for Barrelman this year and read your race report from 2014.  Great job!  I may bug you with a few questions if you don't mind.  I was wondering about the elevation of the run course.  Just how bad are those hills?  I've got an idea of what pace to target based on races this summer, but most have been fairly flat courses.

2016-08-10 9:55 AM
in reply to: #5158356

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
I'm not sure I can give you a great answer as I know they changed the run course somewhat. Assuming it hasn't changed all that much, there is really only one hill that is tough. It's a short little stinger a couple of KMs into the run. There is also a descent that is a bit steep that can burn the quads a bit. Outside of that I remember everything just being fairly gradual (although a bit long) hills.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 55327 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.