BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-09-21 10:18 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Oakville
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed

Hello all. I have been MIA for quite awhile and have been focusing all of my extra time on final training for Barrelman this past weekend.

Barrelman was amazing and I have nothing but great things to say about John Salt and Multisport Canada. They really pulled off a world class event. 

I plan to write up a report while the race is still fresh in my mind, but the following is a summary of some of the highlghts:

• Swim was slow and I was probably too conservative in my pacing, but my thinking was that I’d rather leave a bit of time on the table for the swim than risk going out too hard and having a lousy start to the race.  39:53 for 31st in my age group.

• I’ve only done 2 Olympics and so had no idea how I’d feel for 90 kms on the bike.  I think my FTP is in the 270 range but didn’t want to be too aggressive. I was targeting to average between 205 and 215 watts and ended up with an AP of 210 and an NP of 214. There was a tailwind for more than half of the bike course and so that helped push me to a 2:22:38 bike split. Managed to pass a lot of people in my age group and was sitting in 6th after the bike.

• I definitely underestimated the run.  It was a hot afternoon and the course is quite hilly. At around 11 kms it got ugly and I seriously doubted that I could finish without walking, but I had my family cheering me on and caught a second wind at around the 14 km mark. Based on my open HM times, going into the race I thought I would be able to hold a 4:30/km pace, but quickly realized that was not going to happen. First loop average was 4:35/km and the second loop dropped to 4:54/km for a run split of 1:39:35. I don’t think I overbiked and felt good about my nutrition. Possibly dehydrated but more likely it was just my run fitness and I should have spent more time on the treadmill.

• Total time was 4:45:45 for 39th overall and 2nd in my age group which I was not expecting.

They announced that they had more than 800 registrants on Sunday (for all the events) which makes it the largest non-Ironman branded 70.3 in North America.

I highly recommend this race to anyone within driving distance of Niagara Falls. At around $250 CDN its a bargain, particularly for you folks in the U.S.

Scott

2016-09-21 10:45 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Glad you enjoyed it Scott!  I really wish I had been able to go this year but it just didn't work out.

2016-09-21 4:05 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
Ontario

Nicely done Scott - really solid time for your first crack at that distance.

2016-09-22 7:53 AM

User image

Oakville

Arend - I believe that they changed the swim location from the year you raced Barrelman.  Its at the Welland Flatwater Centre now which is a great venue.  Lots of room for family to watch the start of the race. Too bad they took out the underwater guy wires for the season - it would have made spotting a breeze.

Thanks Neil.  Its funny, during the run I remember vividly thinking that there is no @#$%ing way I'm ever doing this again.  Now that its been a few days and the aches and pains are slowly fading, it didn't seem that bad.  I'm sure in another week I'll be looking at the race schedule for next hear to plan the next one.

2016-09-25 10:40 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason is doing IM Chattanooga.  Good swim at 1:03.  Solid start on the bike but looks like he must have had some issues during the second split as it shows 11mph for about 6.5 miles.  Maybe a flat.....hope it is nothing more serious.

2016-09-25 8:36 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

2016-09-26 1:17 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Texted with Jason yesterday afternoon.  He had a couple of flats and other issues on the bike.  Pulled the plug before running marathon in 95+ degree heat.  I will let him elaborate if he wishes.

I know a bunch of people that did IM Chattanooga yesterday as well as folks doing August 70.3.  Record heat made times slow and conditions oppressive.  Looking at the numbers it looks like their were a lot of "DNF" at both races.

2016-09-27 3:50 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Saw some posts on ST yesterday saying the same thing - miserable conditions when it gets to be that hot, and I tip my hat to anyone able to manage in those conditions.  In some (many?) cases I think it becomes unsafe.

2016-09-27 4:59 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Master
, California

I pulled the plug on Coeur d'Alene last year.  I do pretty well in hot races but that forecast (~110+) was unsafe.  I went to the start line and waited to see if they would shorten it to a half.  They didn't, so I took a DNS and went off to find some air conditioning.  No regrets.

2016-09-28 7:56 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Elite
Ontario

I don't do well in heat, but if this was a first IM (like I'm sure it was for many out there) I would have a very hard time pulling the plug and playing it safe.  For those who have the IM experience and know they'll be other ones I think it is easier to appreciate the time invested will go towards another race at another time - takes some strong self reflection to give up months of training and know you're making the right call.  Like I said, I'd be really torn.

2016-09-28 10:15 AM

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by slornow

... Pulled the plug before running marathon in 95+ degree heat.  

I also read humidity was in the high 80s and that there was no shade for the first 4 miles of the run.  That is just crazy. 

My hat is off to Jason for even finishing the bike in those conditions.  I don't think I could stay hydrated in that heat.

2016-09-28 6:17 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Scott71

Originally posted by slornow

... Pulled the plug before running marathon in 95+ degree heat.  

I also read humidity was in the high 80s and that there was no shade for the first 4 miles of the run.  That is just crazy. 

My hat is off to Jason for even finishing the bike in those conditions.  I don't think I could stay hydrated in that heat.

Sorry to have taken so long to update.

I started Chattanooga on Sunday. Swim was excellent. Quick transition and right out on the bike and I was going fairly fast on much less than goal watts and feeling great. I had made the decision to do everything easier than I trained so I could be conservative and finish. At mile 38 of the bike I had a front flat and changed it in four minutes, easy peasy. Mile 39, I had a rear flat and again changed it pretty easy but when I went to put the wheel back on the bike the nut from the skewer was gone! I must have unscrewed it too far. It took me about 12 minutes on my hands and knees to find it in the grass on the side of the road. Overall, I lost 21 minutes. Got back on the bike and felt fantastic from all of the rest I had just had.

As I got further and further in to the second loop of the bike it got hotter and hotter. I did pretty well keeping up with nutrition and hydration but I will admit that I wasn't enjoying it that much. As I got to the last 30 miles of the bike I really started to question whether or not I wanted to suffer for 3.5- 4 hours (or more) in this kind of heat. I had run Boston in 2012 when the temps got in to the mid 90s and it was miserable. I have to admit that I just mentally wimped out.

Rolled in to transition, changed in to my run clothes, ran out of the tent and in to the blazing sun and decided not to run. It was so easy to do. Turned in my chip to a race official, walked back to my hotel room, took a shower and had a meal. But I have to tell you that suffering for 4-5 hours in the heat would have been far easier than the second guessing and soul searching that I have done since then. I have basically never quit on anything in my life and I can't get my mind out of the mental loop of questioning why I didn't just suck it up and do the race. With all of the carnage out there, if I had just run a very conservative marathon, it seems likely that I could have done well. Instead I have to live with my decision and it hasn't been easy. I can't fall sleep at night thinking about it.

Who knows what would have happened? Some super strong people didn't finish the run. Maybe I would have gotten out there and felt great. Maybe I would have crashed and burned. I'll never know. What I do know is that I will not EVER be quitting on something like this again. They can carry me off the course but willingly DNFing is too hard on the soul. I learned a valuable lesson about easy decisions having hard outcomes. I do think that what someone else said about different attitudes for a first time IM racer versus a multiple time IM finisher is true. I had finished IMs before and at the time, didn't feel like I had to finish to prove anything. I was wrong about that. I needed to prove it to myself.

On the bright side, I am signed up for a marathon in 2.5 weeks. The original plan was to limp through just for fun. Since my legs don't have an IM marathon in them, I may try to run hard and see what happens. I need to do something athletic to get this bad taste out of my mouth.

The other thing is that I have decided to shelf the IM racing for a couple years. With my schedule, IM training is hard to make happen. The training I did for this race would have been excellent for a HIM but was pretty bare-minimum for a full. I am going to actually focus on running for the next 6-8 months and just do some nominal swimming and riding for cross training so I can stay involved in mutisport.

Hope this wasn't too much of a bummer. I'm doing better. Running helps. Lesson learned.
2016-09-29 12:49 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

Master
, California

Who knows what would have happened? Some super strong people didn't finish the run. Maybe I would have gotten out there and felt great. Maybe I would have crashed and burned. I'll never know. What I do know is that I will not EVER be quitting on something like this again. They can carry me off the course but willingly DNFing is too hard on the soul. I learned a valuable lesson about easy decisions having hard outcomes. I do think that what someone else said about different attitudes for a first time IM racer versus a multiple time IM finisher is true. I had finished IMs before and at the time, didn't feel like I had to finish to prove anything. I was wrong about that. I needed to prove it to myself.

For me, maybe it was easier since it was a DNS.  I knew in the back of my head if I started that race, I'd easily finish the swim, get into a nice bike rhythm... and then find that it was 200 degrees out during the last 2 hours of the bike.  But at that point it would be hard to walk off.

It wasn't my first IM, and also from a medical standpoint it isn't good for me to get dehydrated (blood clot risk).  So I made the call.  Don't beat yourself up too much.  There will be other races, and the money lost is just an annoyance.  I *always* try to listen to that little voice in the back of my head.  It has served me well.  You may also see that point of view after a step back from the race day feelings - I hope.

2016-09-29 12:54 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Jason, I feel your pain to a certain degree.  I pulled out of a 70.3 earlier in the summer due to back pain on the bike and knowing I would probably hurt myself if I tried to finish the run.  Since then I have questioned my decision many times (although it doesn't keep me up at night).  I've had to keep telling myself to just let it go.  I suspect, like you, that I won't be able to pull the plug quite so easily should I find myself in that situation again.

2016-09-30 9:48 AM

User image

Jason...don't beat yourself up.  You made a choice based on what you wanted to do at the time and while I know Ironman isn't supposed to be easy, it also should be something we enjoy.  There will be other races and I'm sure your family loves you all the same.

2016-09-30 9:50 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

On another note, my replacement Quarq dzero has just come in.  Got it installed and am anxious to see how the move from 172.5 to 165 feels.  Which reminds me...I need to adjust my seat a little.  

2016-09-30 4:53 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

On another note, my replacement Quarq dzero has just come in.  Got it installed and am anxious to see how the move from 172.5 to 165 feels.  Which reminds me...I need to adjust my seat a little.  

So, what's the verdict?

2016-09-30 6:11 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I'm feeling better about my decision. I know that I wouldn't choose the same path again but looking backwards won't help much going forward. Thanks for all of the kind words.

I have been running daily. It is amazing how good running feels when you aren't riding the bike too. The legs have much more snap in them and I don't have to back off to save them for the ride later today or tomorrow morning. A pressure spot from Sunday's ride induced a bit of residual "discomfort" that would make riding difficult at this point anyway..... I do want to get back in the pool soon. Don't want to lose all of those hard-fought gains in the water even if I am not focusing on tri right now.

Weather in MI has been near perfect for running. Overcast, Cool. Maybe a bit of rain/mist. It has been fun. I did a little race-pace test run today with eight miles at right around 6:50 per mile that suggests that a sub 3 marathon is right on the edge of attainable. I had agreed to pace a buddy to a BQ time so I may run fairly easy in two weeks and then try to find another race a month or so later. We will see.
2016-09-30 7:02 PM

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

So, what's the verdict?

PM seems to be working like normal...bluetooth connectivity to the Qualvin app for updates and diagnostics (such as battery level) is much better than trying to use a ANT+ dongle for my iphone.  Also might experiment with Zwift once the ipad app gets released (or if I'm approved for beta testing).  My laptop is pretty old and doesn't have a good enough graphics card to run zwift.  I know I'm anti trainer...but I've always been curious about the social portion of it.

As far as the crank length...I could tell the difference in feel, but with such a small sample size I don't know for sure if it will actually be a benefit or not.  I did notice that my "pseudo balance" is pretty close to 50/50, with slight variations between 49/51 to 51/49...at least for this commute anyway.

2016-10-01 4:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So, what's the verdict?

PM seems to be working like normal...bluetooth connectivity to the Qualvin app for updates and diagnostics (such as battery level) is much better than trying to use a ANT+ dongle for my iphone.  Also might experiment with Zwift once the ipad app gets released (or if I'm approved for beta testing).  My laptop is pretty old and doesn't have a good enough graphics card to run zwift.  I know I'm anti trainer...but I've always been curious about the social portion of it.

As far as the crank length...I could tell the difference in feel, but with such a small sample size I don't know for sure if it will actually be a benefit or not.  I did notice that my "pseudo balance" is pretty close to 50/50, with slight variations between 49/51 to 51/49...at least for this commute anyway.

I found it made little/no difference on my road bike but a world of difference on my TT bike

2016-10-01 5:24 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag

So, what's the verdict?

I found it made little/no difference on my road bike but a world of difference on my TT bike

Same here.

2016-10-01 7:59 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Jason - too bad about Chattanooga but I think it's better to regret pulling out when you think you might have been able to finish than it is to regret not pulling out because you injured yourself/had some medical stuff that wiped you out completely. There will be other races and at the end of the day it's only triathlon. I've know some folks who've got seriously messed up because they didn't know when to call it a day.

Scott- congrats on Barrelman. When the kids get older and I have time to train for longer stuff, that race is definitely near the top of my list. I've heard nothing but good things.

The good news for me is that I achieved my goal of finally going sub-20 minutes for a 5k today. My 40k TT fell just short of my goal (1:01:22) so it was gratifying to have a long-term goal reached in the race today, especially after the season I had.
2016-10-02 3:30 PM

User image

Originally posted by marcag

So, what's the verdict?

Same here.

Did a 2 hour group ride and I actually like the shorter cranks.  Honestly, I think I could go a lot shorter given how short my legs are.  172.5 is way too long for me.  Sprinting felt a lot better as I don't need to thrash my bike side to side as much to stay on top of the pedals.  I do think I lose a little on the very top end (under 5 seconds) simply due to leverage, but it seems I can hold power in that 10-20 second range without feeling sloppy.  I did have a couple of drop outs which looks like it was due to cadence not being picked up...so I'll have to keep an eye on it.

2016-10-04 6:11 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

First CX race of the year was on Sunday - lots of fun but completely wrecked me.  V02max, recover, V02max, recover... for 45 mins.  Such a different race than riding on the road.  I raced against a lot of the same guys that I can hang with on the road but am in a different timezone for cross.  I think my biggest problem is I corner like an aircraft carrier.  

I really have fun doing it though and I get a bit better at it every time.  Next race isn't for a few weeks so I might actually practice beforehand for once!  

2016-10-04 11:55 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

First CX race of the year was on Sunday - lots of fun but completely wrecked me.  V02max, recover, V02max, recover... for 45 mins.  Such a different race than riding on the road.  I raced against a lot of the same guys that I can hang with on the road but am in a different timezone for cross.  I think my biggest problem is I corner like an aircraft carrier.  

I really have fun doing it though and I get a bit better at it every time.  Next race isn't for a few weeks so I might actually practice beforehand for once!  

I keep thinking I would like to do a 'cross race. Sounds like so much fun. There are some races around here that I may have to check out this fall.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 55322 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.