BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-02-09 9:44 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed
Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by GoFaster The pads and extensions are both adjustable, so I can play with the width, and also the reach.  I only have one spacer left under my stem, but it's a larger spacer so could be swapped with a smaller one.  I'm still on the original base bar and would like to change that over - I've spoken about this on a number of occasions and keep waffling on making a wrong choice so end up making no choice.  I'm leaning towards an inexpensive base bar from Felt based on the TriRig testing done a couple of years ago on their first Alpha bar.
What are you trying to get from it ? More aero ? If so, save your money, the bar makes very little difference. As a matter of fact some of the more expensive bars don't allow to get into the most aero position.

Recognizing that the most integrated bars limit your options in some cases, I'm on a tight budget anyway.  Really it comes down to two simple facts:

1)  I am not that comfortable in aero for long periods.  Any of my time on the trainer is usually zero time spent in aero (being on the road is more comfortable than on the trainer).  Olympic distance is about my max in aero and even then I'm hoping for the end of the ride. 

2)  I want to be more aero - need is probably a better word.  I don't think I'm a total brick, but can certainly improve my position.

So, I'm thinking about an adjustable stem, along with shorter cranks (feel like my hip angle is tight) and then getting a fit done.  As much as testing at the velodrome would be great, I think that ship has sailed in terms of the cost, so that means trying to do field testing at some point.

IMO new bars is not going to solve any of that.
Maybe cranks will, but then again maybe seat height, or position can open up your hip angle

If it were me, I would get fitted and go from there in terms of spacers, adjustable stems, cranks....otherwise you are just throwing money at things you don't know will help. If you want I can give you the name of the fitter from Toronto that Andy was working with at the Velodrome last year.

2016-02-09 2:54 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by wannabefaster I am very seriously considering going to a 165 or even as far as a 160 crank for all of the reasons discussed so far. Anyone have input on how much it too much? If 165 is good, is 160 better? FWIW, I am 5' 7" tall and currently have 172.5 cranks on my bike. If I go with the all-in, top shelf, SRAM Red E Tap upgrade, I get a new crank with it and want to choose wisely......

If you want some 155's, I've got some -- I'll make you a good deal

I remember liking my 155's, but it's been years since I used them, so I don't know if they were good for me or not.  I got a good deal on a power meter (Quarq, crank-based), and the smallest was 165's, so I went for that. 

I might take you up on it.......

BB30?
2016-02-09 4:42 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by wannabefaster

Originally posted by wannabefaster I am very seriously considering going to a 165 or even as far as a 160 crank for all of the reasons discussed so far. Anyone have input on how much it too much? If 165 is good, is 160 better? FWIW, I am 5' 7" tall and currently have 172.5 cranks on my bike. If I go with the all-in, top shelf, SRAM Red E Tap upgrade, I get a new crank with it and want to choose wisely......

If you want some 155's, I've got some -- I'll make you a good deal

I remember liking my 155's, but it's been years since I used them, so I don't know if they were good for me or not.  I got a good deal on a power meter (Quarq, crank-based), and the smallest was 165's, so I went for that. 

I might take you up on it....... BB30?

Ummm, I think so.  I'm not very good with this stuff -- how would I find out (other than taking it to my bike shop)?  I can try to check tonight.

2016-02-09 7:16 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Heck if I know. I just know that my bike takes BB30 (I think).

What kind of bike were they on before?

Anyone know how to determine bottom bracket type?
2016-02-09 8:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

It was on a Cevelo P2 (2012).  It's a Rotor 3d+ and currently equipped with 50/34 chainrings.

2016-02-09 8:21 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
Ontario

Marc - what was your opinion of the guy used by Andy?  We have someone local that is supposed to be quite good as well, but I'm willing to use someone less local if you think they are good.

2016-02-09 10:11 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Oakville

VO2 bike workout tonight - 5 x 5 min @ 108 to 110% with 3 min rest @ 60%.

I noticed that the cleats of my bike shoes are pretty worn and so I was going to put an order into probikekit.com. .

Is there any other preventative maintenance that everyone looks at before tri season begins?

I replaced the chain last year and the cables all look in good shape.

2016-02-10 5:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Heck if I know. I just know that my bike takes BB30 (I think).

What kind of bike were they on before?

Anyone know how to determine bottom bracket type?

99% sure it will work but you may need some cups or low cost adapters. I would ask your LBS but everything I'm reading it will work.
Better safe than sorry

2016-02-10 5:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster

Marc - what was your opinion of the guy used by Andy?  We have someone local that is supposed to be quite good as well, but I'm willing to use someone less local if you think they are good.

I don't really know him, all I know is Andy had him their for the sessions. He does use Retul which I personally think is a great system.

If you have references of someone local, I would probably do that.

If you can't stay in aero, you need to do a big reset, forget about aero and fix that and then move more aero. That said, I would tell the fitter that aero is your primary driver.
2016-02-10 5:53 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Scott71

VO2 bike workout tonight - 5 x 5 min @ 108 to 110% with 3 min rest @ 60%.

I noticed that the cleats of my bike shoes are pretty worn and so I was going to put an order into probikekit.com. .

Is there any other preventative maintenance that everyone looks at before tri season begins?

I replaced the chain last year and the cables all look in good shape.

I take them out, grease the scrws and put them back in. That's it. Toxic sweat seizes them.
2016-02-10 7:05 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning all.  Thinking about maintenance and such heading into the season.  My tri shoes (bike) are starting to separate a bit between the upper and sole and I am thinking about a new pair.  The current shoes are Specialized Expert version, 3 years old, which I like fine.  What does everyone use/like? 

I try to put on a new cassette and chain about every 3000 miles or so and typically try to do it a few weeks before my first race so I know  that everything is working properly.

2016-02-10 8:43 AM

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by slornow

Good morning all.  Thinking about maintenance and such heading into the season.  My tri shoes (bike) are starting to separate a bit between the upper and sole and I am thinking about a new pair.  The current shoes are Specialized Expert version, 3 years old, which I like fine.  What does everyone use/like? 

I try to put on a new cassette and chain about every 3000 miles or so and typically try to do it a few weeks before my first race so I know  that everything is working properly.

I'm currently using the Louis Garneau Tri Lite and really like them.  

I was thinking of getting just new cleats, but the shoes are almost 4 years old and are looking worn.  Its probably time to look at new shoes as well.

I'd go with Louis Garneau again but am also interested in any other recommendations.

2016-02-10 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I am probably the worst person in here about bike (or any other kind of) maintenance.  I even mentioned it in my Pucon race report!  It's particularly bad because I do a lot of my training on the trainer.  I've sheared a bolt off that held my aero pad in place, have had to have other bolt drilled out numerous times....and in the (now) four years that I've been riding, I've never once changed the cleats on my shoes.  How do I know if/when they need to be replaced?

I seriously need to set up a maintenance program with my LBS to get everything looked at / fixed / maintained on a regular basis.  I'm not handy and I hate doing stuff like that, so I know I'm not responsible enough to do it on my own.  I wish that wasn't the case, but I know myself!

2016-02-10 1:44 PM

User image

I end up doing a lot of maintenance on my bike myself.  I ride so much on my road bike that stuff just wears out fast and I don't live close enough to a LBS to be constantly dropping it off and picking it back up.  I do a ton of miles on my road bike each year...probably 8-9k miles.  I usually end up changing the bottom bracket bearings x2, chain rings 1x, chain 2x, cables 4x, housing 2x, and bar tape 2x.  Every week I'll clean the chain and do a quick wipe down, every other week I'll do something more detailed lubing each bolt.  Every month or two months I'll clean out the bottom bracket and reapply grease.

2016-02-10 6:56 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert

I have the Specialized Audax shoes. They are very light and fit snug. They have the pulley locking system. I always worry the pulley may break. They took a bit to get used to. They don't seem as comfortable as my old SIDI's but I am getting used to them quickly. On long rides > 80 miles the soles of the shoes seem to cause pressure points. I've adjusted the cleats and its much better but not completely resolved.

I suck at bike maintenance so I let the experts do it for me. I can do simple things but even then I tend to screw it up. Usually when I try to fix something, the mechanic looks at my bike, then looks at me, then says "did you.......?"

Tonight's Bike:

Avg Power 187 W
NP 216 W

3-5mins easy + 2mins @ 150 + 1min easy + 2mins @ 175 + 1min easy + 2mins @ 200 + 1min easy + 2mins @ 225 + 1min easy + 2mins @ 250 + 3-5mins easy

MS: 10x(2mins @ 250-260/2mins easy)

As usual, much stronger on the later sets
2016-02-10 7:12 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nicole,

If you want to get rid of your 155 cranks, let me know. If the price is right I would love to give them a try.

Last night I ran, on a normal treadmill, at my full body weight, for 25 minutes. It was really fun to actually run again. The knee feels great. The rest of me is a bit sore. I have to build up all of the running support apparatus again. Shouldn't take long. I'm doing another short run this evening......so, trial by fire.

2016-02-11 7:55 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

I'm currently using the Louis Garneau Tri Lite and really like them.  

I was thinking of getting just new cleats, but the shoes are almost 4 years old and are looking worn.  Its probably time to look at new shoes as well.

I'd go with Louis Garneau again but am also interested in any other recommendations.

Scott - you should hit the end of year Toronto bike show this year.  I picked up 2 pairs of shoes (1 road/1 tri) for $50 each.  I googled them while at the show before buying and they were originally $200+ shoes but a couple of years old now (both Garneau).  Still in the boxes...one set is moldable to your feet.

Cleats scare me, they are the one thing I hate to change because being out a little bit means you could be causing yourself some problems.  Now is actually when I should be testing out the new shoes/cleats since I'm not really riding more than 90min and can make adjustments, rather than waiting till I get into 3 hr rides and finding out I have a problem.

Bike maintenance - I'm not very good.  I can do basic stuff, but especially when I get into derailleurs I can never get it right.

2016-02-11 11:17 AM

User image

Oakville

Scott - you should hit the end of year Toronto bike show this year.  I picked up 2 pairs of shoes (1 road/1 tri) for $50 each.  I googled them while at the show before buying and they were originally $200+ shoes but a couple of years old now (both Garneau).  Still in the boxes...one set is moldable to your feet.

Thanks Neil.  I forgot about the Fall bike show.  I went years ago with a friend when he bought his road bike and I ended up buying my Fluid2 trainer.

I remember there were some really great deals on tri bikes.  Could be dangerous for me though... $50 bike shoes can very quickly turn into a new bike and race wheels. 

2016-02-11 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Neil.  I forgot about the Fall bike show.  I went years ago with a friend when he bought his road bike and I ended up buying my Fluid2 trainer.

I remember there were some really great deals on tri bikes.  Could be dangerous for me though... $50 bike shoes can very quickly turn into a new bike and race wheels. 

Montreal has a bike and tri show this weekend.

Gonna check it out.
2016-02-11 12:51 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Jason N

I end up doing a lot of maintenance on my bike myself.  I ride so much on my road bike that stuff just wears out fast and I don't live close enough to a LBS to be constantly dropping it off and picking it back up.  I do a ton of miles on my road bike each year...probably 8-9k miles.  I usually end up changing the bottom bracket bearings x2, chain rings 1x, chain 2x, cables 4x, housing 2x, and bar tape 2x.  Every week I'll clean the chain and do a quick wipe down, every other week I'll do something more detailed lubing each bolt.  Every month or two months I'll clean out the bottom bracket and reapply grease.

I wish I had the inclination to do this.....I dunno I will tinker with my mountain bike because that can be clunky but my road and tri bikes require a level of exactness that I seem to miss because I've lost patience
2016-02-12 9:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
6x4' @105% with 45s rest + an extra 1.5m@105% to get a nice round 30min number

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/4UBMPHEVBAI46KTTXWSLP...

these workouts are a mind game. At the 3rd I was sure I wouldn't make it through. At the end I figured I was good for another 2. Reality is probably good for 1 more.

This is the workout IMO that tests if your CP is somewhat accurate. Do it in aero and enjoy

Edited by marcag 2016-02-12 9:25 AM

2016-02-12 10:14 AM

User image

Been a very tough week for me.

I started off good, doing the bike and run work outs from trainerroad and the guppy challenge from ST. But on Saturday I got very sick, everyone I know has been or knows someone fighting the flu, today was the first time doing anything again, just an easy 20-30min pedal on the bike.. felt ok but the flu is still there.

So frustrating getting sick when you are trying to train, I am giving myself until Sunday before I push hard again (need to do an FTP test just got a powermeter so YAY!!!!)

2016-02-12 11:40 AM
in reply to: Murph333

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Originally posted by Murph333

Been a very tough week for me.

I started off good, doing the bike and run work outs from trainerroad and the guppy challenge from ST. But on Saturday I got very sick, everyone I know has been or knows someone fighting the flu, today was the first time doing anything again, just an easy 20-30min pedal on the bike.. felt ok but the flu is still there.

So frustrating getting sick when you are trying to train, I am giving myself until Sunday before I push hard again (need to do an FTP test just got a powermeter so YAY!!!!)

Same here pretty lousy week of training. Not sick, I was just really busy at work with some OT and lazy when I got home. No excuses, I should have got it done. I'm pretty much on the same track as you. Going to start the Trainer Road Olympic base mid volume and was also toying with the idea of using the Guppy challenge as the swim portion. Our friends from the Great White North are shipping us some bitter cold this weekend with wind chills in the -30F range on Sunday so I think I'm going to do three trainer rides today/Saturday/Sunday and save my long run for Monday.
2016-02-12 2:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by marcag 6x4' @105% with 45s rest + an extra 1.5m@105% to get a nice round 30min number http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/4UBMPHEVBAI46KTTXWSLP... these workouts are a mind game. At the 3rd I was sure I wouldn't make it through. At the end I figured I was good for another 2. Reality is probably good for 1 more. This is the workout IMO that tests if your CP is somewhat accurate. Do it in aero and enjoy

Yeah, do it -- you can thank Marc later

2016-02-12 9:52 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by marcag 6x4' @105% with 45s rest + an extra 1.5m@105% to get a nice round 30min number http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/4UBMPHEVBAI46KTTXWSLP... these workouts are a mind game. At the 3rd I was sure I wouldn't make it through. At the end I figured I was good for another 2. Reality is probably good for 1 more. This is the workout IMO that tests if your CP is somewhat accurate. Do it in aero and enjoy

Yeah, do it -- you can thank Marc later

Ummm...no, and definitely not in aero.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 55558 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.