BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-10-31 3:21 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

New user
Madrid
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Nice work Jenn and thanks for the reminder. I need to get my off season schedule and my 24 week plan starting Feb 12 both onto a sheet.

Joined the local OWS again today, did about 1600m if my garmin is to be believed. It is so friggin cold jumping in but it's good practice to work through it and get comfortable.

And most importantly my local liquor store had the world famous Pliny the Elder today. Don't get it often. What a treat!

-Matt

Pliny the Elder should help in this "off-season" Matt.

Today 2000 m in the pool, loong time since I did this, and realized my "swolf" went up to 44 -anyone uses this metric to see the quality of the swim workout??

Juan

2016-10-31 3:45 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Juancho

Originally posted by Tavo2311

Nice work Jenn and thanks for the reminder. I need to get my off season schedule and my 24 week plan starting Feb 12 both onto a sheet.

Joined the local OWS again today, did about 1600m if my garmin is to be believed. It is so friggin cold jumping in but it's good practice to work through it and get comfortable.

And most importantly my local liquor store had the world famous Pliny the Elder today. Don't get it often. What a treat!

-Matt

Pliny the Elder should help in this "off-season" Matt.

Today 2000 m in the pool, loong time since I did this, and realized my "swolf" went up to 44 -anyone uses this metric to see the quality of the swim workout??

Juan

I just bought a 920xt (on sale at Amazon for $200!). I'm looking forward to seeing my "swolf" score and trying to use it as a metric. I have to wait until at least Friday, though. Patience is not one of my virtues!
2016-10-31 4:41 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Whew, half-marathon number 7 is in the books! This one was a challenge due to some knee issues. See the race report for the details. As usual, I celebrated with a Racer 5 IPA. No time to rest, this weekend is my Olympic tri! Should be fun a run twist, as I opted to kayak instead of swim the first leg.

2016-11-01 6:58 AM
in reply to: #5203383

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Mark--congrats! HM #7 is quite an accomplishment! How many more do you have scheduled?

I got up and did a quick run this morning. Nothing fancy, just putting in the miles with my pup. It is supposed to be in the 80s here this week. Absolutely crazy--we don't stay warm like this. At this rate, I'm going to have to mow my lawn in November, and that just isn't cool.
2016-11-01 8:30 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Congrats, Mark! Sounds like you were mentally strong and had a great race! Good luck in your Oly this weekend!

I have been a bum lately. Ran on Saturday but have been having some kind of serious hip pain. I need to foam roll and get back into a routine I think, including swimming. I think swimming helps strengthen my glutes and hip, therefore helping the hip pain. The pool I have to go to is just so far away though! blah

The weather here has probably had a few too many Heady Toppers. This weekend was beautiful and in the 70s-80s...now we have a few chillier days, with some warm ones coming up later this week. It's hard to get into a routine, and when the weather fluctuates this much is usually when I end up getting sick.

On the drink front, has anyone ever heard of Truly Spiked and Sparkling Water? It's super tasty and makes me feel as though I'm not drinking at all. I know this is a beer group, but I just discovered these so though I would share in case anyone is interested. http://www.trulyspikedsparkling.com/
2016-11-01 8:34 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

Congrats, Mark! Sounds like you were mentally strong and had a great race! Good luck in your Oly this weekend!

I have been a bum lately. Ran on Saturday but have been having some kind of serious hip pain. I need to foam roll and get back into a routine I think, including swimming. I think swimming helps strengthen my glutes and hip, therefore helping the hip pain. The pool I have to go to is just so far away though! blah

The weather here has probably had a few too many Heady Toppers. This weekend was beautiful and in the 70s-80s...now we have a few chillier days, with some warm ones coming up later this week. It's hard to get into a routine, and when the weather fluctuates this much is usually when I end up getting sick.

On the drink front, has anyone ever heard of Truly Spiked and Sparkling Water? It's super tasty and makes me feel as though I'm not drinking at all. I know this is a beer group, but I just discovered these so though I would share in case anyone is interested. http://www.trulyspikedsparkling.com/

Anything that makes me feel as though I'm not drinking at all is a recipe for DISASTER. It's why I can no longer have my beloved Long Island Iced Tea.

2016-11-01 10:24 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove
Originally posted by nicole14e Congrats, Mark! Sounds like you were mentally strong and had a great race! Good luck in your Oly this weekend! I have been a bum lately. Ran on Saturday but have been having some kind of serious hip pain. I need to foam roll and get back into a routine I think, including swimming. I think swimming helps strengthen my glutes and hip, therefore helping the hip pain. The pool I have to go to is just so far away though! blah The weather here has probably had a few too many Heady Toppers. This weekend was beautiful and in the 70s-80s...now we have a few chillier days, with some warm ones coming up later this week. It's hard to get into a routine, and when the weather fluctuates this much is usually when I end up getting sick. On the drink front, has anyone ever heard of Truly Spiked and Sparkling Water? It's super tasty and makes me feel as though I'm not drinking at all. I know this is a beer group, but I just discovered these so though I would share in case anyone is interested. http://www.trulyspikedsparkling.com/
Anything that makes me feel as though I'm not drinking at all is a recipe for DISASTER. It's why I can no longer have my beloved Long Island Iced Tea.

+1, or anything tequila-related. 

2016-11-01 10:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Tavo2311 Nice work Jenn and thanks for the reminder. I need to get my off season schedule and my 24 week plan starting Feb 12 both onto a sheet. Joined the local OWS again today, did about 1600m if my garmin is to be believed. It is so friggin cold jumping in but it's good practice to work through it and get comfortable. And most importantly my local liquor store had the world famous Pliny the Elder today. Don't get it often. What a treat! -Matt
Pliny the Elder should help in this "off-season" Matt. Today 2000 m in the pool, loong time since I did this, and realized my "swolf" went up to 44 -anyone uses this metric to see the quality of the swim workout?? Juan

I've looked at it, and really didn't know what to make of it.  I suppose lower is better, but I know I my SWOLF is lower in a hard 50 vs a moderate 200 and that's probably all related to the speed changes.  My stroke is a mess anyway, so I probably don't want the info.  LOL

Edit - just checked my last good swim workout from last month.  Average SWOLF was 36, Pulled a random workout from last year, 42 (but that was a 25M pool, so I would need to reduce that my 10% or so).  I also need to account for how much backstroke I did during the workout, because that pushes the score up.  I just made my head hurt. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2016-11-01 10:31 AM
2016-11-01 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Congrats, Mark! Sounds like you were mentally strong and had a great race! Good luck in your Oly this weekend! I have been a bum lately. Ran on Saturday but have been having some kind of serious hip pain. I need to foam roll and get back into a routine I think, including swimming. I think swimming helps strengthen my glutes and hip, therefore helping the hip pain. The pool I have to go to is just so far away though! blah The weather here has probably had a few too many Heady Toppers. This weekend was beautiful and in the 70s-80s...now we have a few chillier days, with some warm ones coming up later this week. It's hard to get into a routine, and when the weather fluctuates this much is usually when I end up getting sick. On the drink front, has anyone ever heard of Truly Spiked and Sparkling Water? It's super tasty and makes me feel as though I'm not drinking at all. I know this is a beer group, but I just discovered these so though I would share in case anyone is interested. http://www.trulyspikedsparkling.com/

C'mon, girl.  Suck it up buttercup. 

I've been swimming with the swim team at 4 PM a couple of days a week up in Towson - I'm about to turn into my off season for a few weeks but will be back come January.  I've been suffering through the DAC, too, but at least they have a hot tub to relax in afterwards.

Agreed - this weather's been crazy,.

2016-11-02 7:07 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got in 3 miles yesterday morning plus a leg/core weight session.  Today is 45 minutes on the trainer plus an evening run.  This crazy weather is supposed to be like 75 this afternoon - tank top and shorts running weather!!

2016-11-02 8:17 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I've been swimming with the swim team at 4 PM a couple of days a week up in Towson - I'm about to turn into my off season for a few weeks but will be back come January.  I've been suffering through the DAC, too, but at least they have a hot tub to relax in afterwards.

Is the swim team different than masters? 4pm would be tough for me to make. I know I need to suck it up. I may go to masters Saturday morning to check it out, but now I feel like I'm out of swim shape. (so many excuses, I know)

2016-11-02 9:32 AM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nicole! Get thy butt to masters swim! It is great. I joined in April and not only has my volume gone up, but my times have come down about 15"/100m (and I also dont feel like I'm going to die at the end!)!

Couple of off days here for me. My neck started spasming last night while I was pouring some concrete at the house. Ugh--good thing I have good dugs for this sort of thing!
2016-11-02 10:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Got 3 swims in last week and a few lifting/core sessions and yoga.
Yesterday - raking... All of those beautiful leaves come down unfortunately, but good cardio in the raking!
I am finally going to try acupuncture for my injury. I'm ready to get off the plateau of generally feeling okay walking, but still not able to really train or run at all. This guy is also a triathlete and has done a couple of full IM's and does a lot of work with athletes. We shall see where this goes, hoping for the best!!
The silver lining is because I'm not doing a lot of the s/b/r piece, I'm focusing on core and upper body strength training which I've always needed. Holidays are charging in though and I've already got 5 pounds back on since race season ended.

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-11-02 10:28 AM
2016-11-02 10:25 AM

User image

, Vermont

Originally posted by Tavo2311 Nice work Jenn and thanks for the reminder. I need to get my off season schedule and my 24 week plan starting Feb 12 both onto a sheet. Joined the local OWS again today, did about 1600m if my garmin is to be believed. It is so friggin cold jumping in but it's good practice to work through it and get comfortable. And most importantly my local liquor store had the world famous Pliny the Elder today. Don't get it often. What a treat! -Matt
Pliny the Elder should help in this "off-season" Matt. Today 2000 m in the pool, loong time since I did this, and realized my "swolf" went up to 44 -anyone uses this metric to see the quality of the swim workout?? Juan

I've looked at it, and really didn't know what to make of it.  I suppose lower is better, but I know I my SWOLF is lower in a hard 50 vs a moderate 200 and that's probably all related to the speed changes.  My stroke is a mess anyway, so I probably don't want the info.  LOL

Edit - just checked my last good swim workout from last month.  Average SWOLF was 36, Pulled a random workout from last year, 42 (but that was a 25M pool, so I would need to reduce that my 10% or so).  I also need to account for how much backstroke I did during the workout, because that pushes the score up.  I just made my head hurt. 

SWOLF is just the number of strokes per length of pool and the time it took to get there - so like golf, the lower the score, the better. So, say, 12 strokes to get down there and it took you 28 seconds, you'd have a swolf of 40. Then it would average those sets/numbers and you've got your average swolf for the workout. SWOLF is literally the abbreviation for swim/golf. haha For open water swims, the average is based on a 25 meter pool according to garmin....now if you have it selected to a "yards" pool in the "pool swim" section, I don't know if that holds true for the open water piece, but if you notice a bit of difference between the two it could be attributed to that. (in addition to just being in open water and wearing a wetsuit, etc). I don't get too wrapped up in swolf depending on the type of workout I'm doing (I don't do the same thing every time all the time), but you could compare two of the exact same workouts from different days and then you could really tell if you're improving. (so....yeah, I totally look at avg swolf at the end of every swim and do a happy dance if it's better than previous). :D
2016-11-02 10:27 AM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by MOlsen

Whew, half-marathon number 7 is in the books! This one was a challenge due to some knee issues. See the race report for the details. As usual, I celebrated with a Racer 5 IPA. No time to rest, this weekend is my Olympic tri! Should be fun a run twist, as I opted to kayak instead of swim the first leg.

You are a BEAST! Well done! Have fun with the kayak!
2016-11-02 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Is the swim team different than masters? 4pm would be tough for me to make. I know I need to suck it up. I may go to masters Saturday morning to check it out, but now I feel like I'm out of swim shape. (so many excuses, I know)

Swim team is the kids team, but there's always one lane open and since the swim team is there it's usually just me.

2016-11-02 6:06 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Congrats!! #7 and still going on! Enjoy the kayak, sounds fun.
Juan
2016-11-02 6:08 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by aviatrix802

SWOLF is just the number of strokes per length of pool and the time it took to get there - so like golf, the lower the score, the better. So, say, 12 strokes to get down there and it took you 28 seconds, you'd have a swolf of 40. Then it would average those sets/numbers and you've got your average swolf for the workout. SWOLF is literally the abbreviation for swim/golf. haha For open water swims, the average is based on a 25 meter pool according to garmin....now if you have it selected to a "yards" pool in the "pool swim" section, I don't know if that holds true for the open water piece, but if you notice a bit of difference between the two it could be attributed to that. (in addition to just being in open water and wearing a wetsuit, etc). I don't get too wrapped up in swolf depending on the type of workout I'm doing (I don't do the same thing every time all the time), but you could compare two of the exact same workouts from different days and then you could really tell if you're improving. (so....yeah, I totally look at avg swolf at the end of every swim and do a happy dance if it's better than previous). :D

Thanks Jenn, will get ready for the "happy dance" in case I improve! Very useful.
Juan
2016-11-03 8:46 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Swim team is the kids team, but there's always one lane open and since the swim team is there it's usually just me.

Ahh gotcha! Well let me know when you get back into it and maybe we can train together a little!

Gretchen, I will go Saturday, I promise!
2016-11-03 8:47 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Jenn, trying acupuncture can't hurt. I hope it works out for you. Definitely let us know!
2016-11-03 9:13 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Congrats!! #7 and still going on! Enjoy the kayak, sounds fun. Juan

X2  the kayak does sound fun.  Maybe next time I'll look for a stand-up paddleboard one. 

2016-11-03 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

So today's workout was "totally mail in a Bikram Yoga session". 

It's been a while since I've had such an awful session - got little sleep last night (thanks, baseball!!) and was really sore and stiff to start with.  I feel a little better than when I woke up, so we'll count it as a recovery session. 

Happy Thursday!

2016-11-03 6:45 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Congrats!! #7 and still going on! Enjoy the kayak, sounds fun. Juan

X2  the kayak does sound fun.  Maybe next time I'll look for a stand-up paddleboard one. 

Thanks everyone. My Oly this weekend does have a paddleboard option however I opted for kayak. My paddleboard is sloooow (as I mainly paddle with swimmers) and I didn't want to spend over an hour on the water (same distance kayak or paddle: 3 miles). After this I have one last HM in December for #8.

2016-11-05 2:40 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

, California
Another good week. I did miss one workout but the in-laws last night here and we had dinner and I couldn't get out of work early enough to go first. Oh well.

I did go back to the OWS group this morning for the third straight week. It's getting colder out there but I'm proud I keep getting up early and jumping in.

-Matt
2016-11-05 2:42 PM
in reply to: #5204092

User image

, California
Oh almost forgot- has anyone else been listening to the Tower 26 podcast? It is done by a legendary swim coach Gerry Rodrigues and is the most informative and easy to consume piece of training advice I've read or listened to. It's also specifically tailored to swim advice "for triathletes." It's been on a few months but I just found it last week and almost halfway caught up.

-Matt
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6388 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17560 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.