BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-11-07 4:22 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

New user
Madrid
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Oh almost forgot- has anyone else been listening to the Tower 26 podcast? It is done by a legendary swim coach Gerry Rodrigues and is the most informative and easy to consume piece of training advice I've read or listened to. It's also specifically tailored to swim advice "for triathletes." It's been on a few months but I just found it last week and almost halfway caught up.

-Matt

Thanks Matt - will check it out later in the day

This weekend I trained, for my first time, in my brand new trainer (bkool) - compared to the spinning bike I used to have, it gave me a much closer feeling to real cycling as it is my bike, but could not connect to the computer yet (I need ANT+ device). Also, after the first session, went to my LBS and bought a new tire and set up a different wheel -old aluminum one with shimano 10 sp- from the one I use in my tribike, as I have the feeling that so much pressure will deteriorate the "real" wheel. My idea is to train in the tribike to get used to the aeroposition slowly.

Juan

2016-11-07 7:45 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
First swim back after my collision with lanemate. Not a bad swim--2300m total, with some 50s and a 1000 continuous.

Last week I was laid up with a neck spasm. You forget how often you move your head until you are rewarded with a stabbing pain in your neck every time you do. The muscle relaxants make me SLEEPY and DOPEY. No chance in heck I was going to be able to do anything active without killing myself while on those (Wed-Fri). Saturday I slid in a short run, which felt okay.

Got a 920xt for my anniversary (it is in a couple weeks) on Wednesday of last week. Yes, so I got a brand new fancy activity tracking watch and then laid on the couch for the first three days. I like to set the expectations low. :D So far it is fun to play with the metrics and see what data it comes up with after my two workouts. Hoping that info will be useful in some way. So far, SWOLF avg is 98--ugh.
2016-11-07 8:03 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
So true to my word, I went to the Masters practice Saturday morning. I did so without contacting them to see what they would be doing. Turns out it was kind of a meet replacement day, and everyone just swam 3000 yards while someone wrote down your split times. I haven't swam that far...possibly ever, but definitely not since my elementary school swimming days. I was nervous. It went well though! I liked not having to think about how far I'd gone or had left to go. I was probably pretty slow in the middle part, but ended strong when I realized I had single digit laps to go. Finished in 55.14. Everyone was really nice. I will probably start going more regularly, as I felt incredibly accomplished afterwards. It's just so hard waking up so early on a Saturday!

Should've run yesterday, but I'm having an election day party tomorrow, so spent the day cleaning, decorating and shopping for it. It's going to be pretty awesome.

Also, this time change has been kind of nice. I woke up at 5:30am yesterday and felt incredibly rested. Same thing this morning. I was at my boyfriends, but kind of wish I'd been at home so I could've gone on a run (I didn't bring any workout clothes with me). Going to try to keep this sleep cycle going, but the party tomorrow is likely going to mess it up.

Hope everyone had a great weekend, and has an equally great week. Don't forget to get out and vote if you haven't already!
2016-11-07 10:14 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove First swim back after my collision with lanemate. Not a bad swim--2300m total, with some 50s and a 1000 continuous. Last week I was laid up with a neck spasm. You forget how often you move your head until you are rewarded with a stabbing pain in your neck every time you do. The muscle relaxants make me SLEEPY and DOPEY. No chance in heck I was going to be able to do anything active without killing myself while on those (Wed-Fri). Saturday I slid in a short run, which felt okay. Got a 920xt for my anniversary (it is in a couple weeks) on Wednesday of last week. Yes, so I got a brand new fancy activity tracking watch and then laid on the couch for the first three days. I like to set the expectations low. :D So far it is fun to play with the metrics and see what data it comes up with after my two workouts. Hoping that info will be useful in some way. So far, SWOLF avg is 98--ugh.

I ordered one of those last week, too.  I have a Garmin Fenix 2 and it's really hard to read, so I went with the 920 as my tri watch.  We'll have to compare notes.

98 SWOLF sounds crazy high...is that a 50M pool?

Also, yeah, I've had those muscle relaxers before (Flexiril, I think, from a car accident years ago).  I think I slept for 3 days LOL.

2016-11-07 11:06 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove First swim back after my collision with lanemate. Not a bad swim--2300m total, with some 50s and a 1000 continuous. Last week I was laid up with a neck spasm. You forget how often you move your head until you are rewarded with a stabbing pain in your neck every time you do. The muscle relaxants make me SLEEPY and DOPEY. No chance in heck I was going to be able to do anything active without killing myself while on those (Wed-Fri). Saturday I slid in a short run, which felt okay. Got a 920xt for my anniversary (it is in a couple weeks) on Wednesday of last week. Yes, so I got a brand new fancy activity tracking watch and then laid on the couch for the first three days. I like to set the expectations low. :D So far it is fun to play with the metrics and see what data it comes up with after my two workouts. Hoping that info will be useful in some way. So far, SWOLF avg is 98--ugh.

I ordered one of those last week, too.  I have a Garmin Fenix 2 and it's really hard to read, so I went with the 920 as my tri watch.  We'll have to compare notes.

Also, yeah, I've had those muscle relaxers before (Flexiril, I think, from a car accident years ago).  I think I slept for 3 days LOL.

I love my 920! You guys are going to have so much fun playing around with it. I am still learning how to do stuff on it and I've had it for over a year!
Be aware that if you wear it daily (which I do), the watch band can wear out. Mine lasted for 1.5 years and broke 2 days before I headed up to IMMT. I ordered a replacement from Amazon and did the 2 day shipping and hubby brought it up to me when he came (in the meantime I had it duck-taped to my wrist...don't laugh). Had to be careful because I didn't want to take it off to recharge it too often so I disabled most of the "extras" - like steps, email/phone/text/FB notifications, etc. The extra band/s are not expensive - I got a 2 pack for about $20 or so and actually like to new band color better than the old one. They came with the extra pins and 2 mini screwdrivers to quickly and easily install the band.
Have fun!!!!
(happy anniversary a bit early, Gretchen!)
2016-11-07 11:10 AM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Oh almost forgot- has anyone else been listening to the Tower 26 podcast? It is done by a legendary swim coach Gerry Rodrigues and is the most informative and easy to consume piece of training advice I've read or listened to. It's also specifically tailored to swim advice "for triathletes." It's been on a few months but I just found it last week and almost halfway caught up.

-Matt

This sounds very interesting! I need to get up on these podcasts. I still have to catch up on Alan's!

2016-11-07 11:19 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
Just finished teaching class and am heading to the pool to do a short swim with my favorite pull buoy...
I went to an acupuncturist on Friday last week and I daresay it may have helped! I'm going back this Friday to see if it really is doing anything. He did ask if I've been in for an x-ray or MRI just based on how long this issue has persisted. (I haven't). We shall see on that. He's actually recommending I try a few short, super easy 20 minutes spins to see how it feels - if all is well, then maybe trying that a couple of times a day to get the cardio back up again. I haven't been back to my PT, I do need to do that, and I have been fairly decent about keeping up with my exercises. It's odd though, I feel like I'm cheating on my PT with the Acupuncturist. hahaha. He doesn't know I went there.
Sunny day today - nice break from the rain we've had for a seemingly long time. Tomorrow it will be a balmy 59 degrees so I'm going to do my 20 minutes outside I'm thinking! Yea!
2016-11-07 11:39 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e So true to my word, I went to the Masters practice Saturday morning. I did so without contacting them to see what they would be doing. Turns out it was kind of a meet replacement day, and everyone just swam 3000 yards while someone wrote down your split times. I haven't swam that far...possibly ever, but definitely not since my elementary school swimming days. I was nervous. It went well though! I liked not having to think about how far I'd gone or had left to go. I was probably pretty slow in the middle part, but ended strong when I realized I had single digit laps to go. Finished in 55.14. Everyone was really nice. I will probably start going more regularly, as I felt incredibly accomplished afterwards. It's just so hard waking up so early on a Saturday! Should've run yesterday, but I'm having an election day party tomorrow, so spent the day cleaning, decorating and shopping for it. It's going to be pretty awesome. Also, this time change has been kind of nice. I woke up at 5:30am yesterday and felt incredibly rested. Same thing this morning. I was at my boyfriends, but kind of wish I'd been at home so I could've gone on a run (I didn't bring any workout clothes with me). Going to try to keep this sleep cycle going, but the party tomorrow is likely going to mess it up. Hope everyone had a great weekend, and has an equally great week. Don't forget to get out and vote if you haven't already!

Well done, Nicole.  There's nothing like getting a good -whupping in Masters practice.  LOL

My first practice was like 4 years ago when Katie Pumphrey was coaching at Canton - I swear she was trying to kill me.  I couldn't even complete the WU.  The again, she swam the friggin' English Channel last year, so there's that.  :-/

2016-11-08 7:52 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Morning run in the books--it was rough. I tried the metronome function on my watch today, trying to increase my cadence. Set the watch to 150 (180 is far, far beyond my reach!) and tried to hold on for dear life. I forgot my HRM, so I don't have any HR data. Man do I wish I did. I felt like I was dying trying to keep up that cadence, but then the few field tests I did for HR were in high Z2. My legs sure are feeling it though.

If you are American, don't forget to vote today!
2016-11-08 12:21 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Another weekend, another race! This one was probably the toughest of the year, even more so than the trail runs! Oly distance triathlon with a kayak instead of swim to start. Here is the race report for the Morro Bay triathlon. The kayak and bike segments were a lot of fun but the run was a slog down a very soggy beach. 

While I didn't wear it during the race (it's the biking jersey, not tri-top) I did manage to get a picture of my BDAS jersey!

(Morro-bay-tri-BDAS.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Morro-bay-tri-BDAS.jpg (123KB - 3 downloads)
2016-11-09 6:56 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by MOlsen

Another weekend, another race! This one was probably the toughest of the year, even more so than the trail runs! Oly distance triathlon with a kayak instead of swim to start. Here is the race report for the Morro Bay triathlon. The kayak and bike segments were a lot of fun but the run was a slog down a very soggy beach. 

While I didn't wear it during the race (it's the biking jersey, not tri-top) I did manage to get a picture of my BDAS jersey!

Congrats! Great picture!! We have enough now to do a collage...
Juan

2016-11-09 6:57 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by nicole14e

• ... and everyone just swam 3000 yards....! Never did that distance, yet - impressed, Nicole, great job!
  • Juan

2016-11-09 7:00 AM

User image

New user
    Madrid

Agree with Mike, something cannot be right, most likely for a 25 meters/yards you would be doing half of that Gretchen. I used to have a 910 and loved it, now I use a Garmin Fenix Zafire, which can be used as daily watch and monitor hear rate on the wrist, which may be no so precise but much easier to use.

Juan
    2016-11-09 7:07 AM
    in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

New user
    Madrid
    Originally posted by aviatrix802

I went to an acupuncturist on Friday last week and I daresay it may have helped! I'm going back this Friday to see if it really is doing anything. He did ask if I've been in for an x-ray or MRI just based on how long this issue has persisted. (I haven't). We shall see on that.

Being trained in traditional medicine I have difficulties admitting that non-traditional medicine (PT, acupuncture,...) does work, but they REALLY do!! (although unable to understand how). Glad Jenn that you found a good therapist, hope you can go back training as you wish soon.

Juan
    2016-11-09 8:22 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    It is a 50m pool. I was hoping to get a confirmatory value today, but I screwed up hitting the buttons and tracked my rests and "rested" during my swims. I did 2600m and the 920 only recorded 950. I think it was when I tried to go to drill mode, but I'm not sure.

2016-11-09 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove It is a 50m pool. I was hoping to get a confirmatory value today, but I screwed up hitting the buttons and tracked my rests and "rested" during my swims. I did 2600m and the 920 only recorded 950. I think it was when I tried to go to drill mode, but I'm not sure.

I've screwed that up more times than I can count.  LOL

2016-11-10 8:40 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
    Originally posted by Juancho

Juan

Awesome! The top looks great too! I wish I had bought one last year. Are we still able to, does anyone know?
    2016-11-11 7:25 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Originally posted by nicole14e

Originally posted by Juancho

Juan

Awesome! The top looks great too! I wish I had bought one last year. Are we still able to, does anyone know?

I think they are always available, but you'll have to comb back through the forum to find the website (unless anyone else can remember what it was). I wanted to order one too, but a white tri top does me no good!
    2016-11-11 7:30 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Up again in the pre-dawn (aka pitch black) to fit in a run before heading off to work. Yes, I know it is a holiday (and Thanks to all our Veterans!), but I'm happy ensconced in several different manuscripts. I'm actually a little excited to get to work today without all the normal distractions!

I let myself down yesterday by letting life get in the way of my workout. I didn't do my run in the morning (because I wanted to get to work--what is wrong with me?!?!). I planned to go home in the afternoon and get it in while the sun was up, but then I got sucked into a two hour meeting. Ugh. Didn't get home until after 5 and it was dark. Could have still gone, but judging by the number of dead deer on our road, the drivers in the evening aren't paying a whole lot of attention. Didn't want to get dead.

Hope everyone enjoys their day off (if they have it).
    2016-11-11 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Headed to San Diego tomorrow for a wedding - should be a blast.  I'll try to get a couple of warm-weather runs in while I'm out there.

2016-11-11 2:00 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Headed to San Diego tomorrow for a wedding - should be a blast.  I'll try to get a couple of warm-weather runs in while I'm out there.

Jealous!

2016-11-12 6:36 AM

User image

New user
    Madrid
    2 hour ride with my road bike, easy riding enjoying the off-season.
    Everyone I ride with tells me my bike size is too small for me, so after 4 years with it (and few races Oly and Halfs) I am going to change to a properly sized one, as Christmas is on the horizon. As there are so many brands, I was looking for a brand that offers good quality, good price and is not too common out there (yes, a bit snobbish, I know....) and looking into the Argon 18 Nitrogen, the canadian brand. Any of you riding an Argon? I think Alan does, or so I remember from some of his pictures.

Juan
    2016-11-12 12:54 PM
    in reply to: #5204093

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Big day today. Early morning four mile run and then a little later masters swim of 3400yds. Now I'm tired and still have to clean out the garage today. Ugh.

Put my bike on the trainer yesterday. I haven't been on it since September. I'm hoping having it ready to ride will increase the odds of that happening.
    2016-11-14 8:12 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Swim coach is out of town for two weeks, so we have been working off workouts he submits to one of our members by email. He can't hear the groans or see the grimaces. Started the day with 2200m of hard swimming, mostly as 200 crawl sets, but then we ended with 6x50 breast stroke. I can't tell you the last time I swam breast stroke. Now my arms are going to fall off and I might need a nap.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
    2016-11-14 4:18 PM
    in reply to: #5204850

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Enjoying an Edmund Fitzgerald porter from Great Lakes Brewing Co. tonight. Yum!
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
    Views: 6383 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 17545 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 12, 2014
    author : TeamMPI
    comments : 1
    The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
    author : IndoIronYanti
    comments : 4
    MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
    date : September 15, 2011
    comments : 0
    Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
    author : mrakes1
    comments : 0
    Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.