BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-11-15 12:38 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
I went to Masters again on Saturday. They were doing a "regular" workout, so I'm glad I got to experience it. It was ROUGH. 600yard warm up, followed by 11-50s kicking butterfly for 25 (on your back) and backstroke for 25. Then focused on butterfly, which I haven't really done since I quit swimming in 6th grade. Luckily I remembered more than I thought I did, but HOLY CRAP was I hurting by the end. We did a bunch of 50s of butterfly drills (I don't remember how many anymore), and then did 4 50s of some dolphin drill for 25 then regular butterfly for 25. Then we did 4 50s of fly. Then we did a 50 of each stroke, followed by a 100 IM (twice). At that point I was spent. I didn't want to overdo it so soon, so I left while they went on to do a bunch of freestyle. I wanted to go again last night but got stuck doing work until 9pm :-/

Woke up this morning and went to body pump at the gym, so I'm going to be in a lot of pain tomorrow. Trying to get back into a routine though, so we shall see!

2016-11-15 3:02 PM
in reply to: #5205001

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nicole--way to go with masters!! I have to admit. Me doing butterfly is really just asking for the lifeguards to have to get wet. Not pretty at all!!

Today was a three mile run in the afternoon. It is still really nice around here, so I'm taking advantage of the warm days and skipping the runs in the dark!!
2016-11-15 7:27 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Vermont
Holy smokes, Nicole! That's a lot of butterfly! Kudos to you for hanging in there! Well done!!
2016-11-15 7:32 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Today was a three mile run in the afternoon. It is still really nice around here, so I'm taking advantage of the warm days and skipping the runs in the dark!!

Yes on the nice days!! It was high 50's here today and just beautiful!!
I still ended up on the trainer doing an easy 20 minutes and noting painful spots in the leg and then off to the pool for 1200 - doing every other 100 with a pull buoy. Tonight I took the boys to open gym for basketball and ended up playing with 3 other parents against about 6 kids in a scrimmage for a half hour and my leg/butt/hamstring/whatever it is, is hurting pretty good. I'll give it a little stretch while I eat a brownie and maybe some heat - for both the brownie and my butt/leg. Acupuncture is on tap for Friday again. It may have been helping, but I may have just undone some of what we'd accomplished. Doh. We shall see. Watching all the fitness I gained over the summer fading away is tough mentally I'll tell you that! But this too shall come to pass...at some point.
2016-11-15 11:46 PM
in reply to: #5205103

User image

, California
Had a crazy busy week last week including a trip out of town. Race week now for me. Got the San Dimas Turkey Tri on Sunday. First race in seven months, and first ever race in America....I'm excited!

-Matt
2016-11-16 7:42 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Had a crazy busy week last week including a trip out of town. Race week now for me. Got the San Dimas Turkey Tri on Sunday. First race in seven months, and first ever race in America....I'm excited!

-Matt

Good luck!!! Man I wish we had some local tri this late in the year!

2016-11-16 7:44 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Early morning Masters swim. I did 2000m before my shoulder cried "Uncle!". I spent about three hours yesterday with my arms above my head fixing our garage door opener, so I think I just over used it. It doesn't hurt, but is tired. Just feels tired.

Have a run scheduled for later this afternoon, but I'm not sure it will get done. Today is my 17th anniversary, so we have some celebrating to do tonight.
2016-11-16 1:00 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Early morning Masters swim. I did 2000m before my shoulder cried "Uncle!". I spent about three hours yesterday with my arms above my head fixing our garage door opener, so I think I just over used it. It doesn't hurt, but is tired. Just feels tired.

Have a run scheduled for later this afternoon, but I'm not sure it will get done. Today is my 17th anniversary, so we have some celebrating to do tonight.

Happy Anniversary!
2016-11-16 1:01 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by aviatrix802

I'll give it a little stretch while I eat a brownie and maybe some heat - for both the brownie and my butt/leg.

Haha! Sounds delicious!
2016-11-16 1:03 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Nicole--way to go with masters!! I have to admit. Me doing butterfly is really just asking for the lifeguards to have to get wet. Not pretty at all!!

LOL, it is a super hard stroke! To be fair, by the end of those 50s my arms were barely coming out of the water at all.
2016-11-17 7:06 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Yesterday afternoon's run became this morning's run. This morning's run now becomes tomorrow morning's run. Ahhh...the joys of scheduling!

Up early to hit a short run before heading off to St. Louis to give a lecture tonight. I'm staying overnight in the city, so I'm hoping I can get in my morning run in a park or anywhere that isn't the hotel gym. Fingers crossed!! Will spend tomorrow in the city, trying to do some Christmas shopping that I'm totally not in the mood for (too early!). But, this will save me a trip into the city later in December, when the roads could be bad.

Happy training everyone!

2016-11-17 7:25 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802
Originally posted by drfoodlove Today was a three mile run in the afternoon. It is still really nice around here, so I'm taking advantage of the warm days and skipping the runs in the dark!!
Yes on the nice days!! It was high 50's here today and just beautiful!! I still ended up on the trainer doing an easy 20 minutes and noting painful spots in the leg and then off to the pool for 1200 - doing every other 100 with a pull buoy. Tonight I took the boys to open gym for basketball and ended up playing with 3 other parents against about 6 kids in a scrimmage for a half hour and my leg/butt/hamstring/whatever it is, is hurting pretty good. I'll give it a little stretch while I eat a brownie and maybe some heat - for both the brownie and my butt/leg. Acupuncture is on tap for Friday again. It may have been helping, but I may have just undone some of what we'd accomplished. Doh. We shall see. Watching all the fitness I gained over the summer fading away is tough mentally I'll tell you that! But this too shall come to pass...at some point.

But that's the natural progression of endurance fitness - you can't just keep getting fitter, your body will give out.

Basketball - are you kidding me?  If I tried that I'd be in the ER.  LOL

2016-11-17 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e I went to Masters again on Saturday. They were doing a "regular" workout, so I'm glad I got to experience it. It was ROUGH. 600yard warm up, followed by 11-50s kicking butterfly for 25 (on your back) and backstroke for 25. Then focused on butterfly, which I haven't really done since I quit swimming in 6th grade. Luckily I remembered more than I thought I did, but HOLY CRAP was I hurting by the end. We did a bunch of 50s of butterfly drills (I don't remember how many anymore), and then did 4 50s of some dolphin drill for 25 then regular butterfly for 25. Then we did 4 50s of fly. Then we did a 50 of each stroke, followed by a 100 IM (twice). At that point I was spent. I didn't want to overdo it so soon, so I left while they went on to do a bunch of freestyle. I wanted to go again last night but got stuck doing work until 9pm :-/ Woke up this morning and went to body pump at the gym, so I'm going to be in a lot of pain tomorrow. Trying to get back into a routine though, so we shall see!

I am SO not going to that Masters team.  Yikes!!! 

2016-11-17 7:29 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Back from sunny and mid-80s San Diego.  OMG it is so nice there.

I got in a really cool trail run down and up a canyon near my hotel.  OUCH!!  my quads hurt for like three days afterwards.

We flew out of Baltimore around 8:30 AM on Saturday and the wedding was Saturday night, so it was a LOOOOONNNNGGG day.  I stayed up until about 1 AM Cali time so I was pretty cooked.  Got back Tuesday night and I was a mess yesterday.

Back at it today with Bikram though I did a crappy job today.  Oh, well, it's off season, right?

2016-11-17 9:39 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e I went to Masters again on Saturday. They were doing a "regular" workout, so I'm glad I got to experience it. It was ROUGH. 600yard warm up, followed by 11-50s kicking butterfly for 25 (on your back) and backstroke for 25. Then focused on butterfly, which I haven't really done since I quit swimming in 6th grade. Luckily I remembered more than I thought I did, but HOLY CRAP was I hurting by the end. We did a bunch of 50s of butterfly drills (I don't remember how many anymore), and then did 4 50s of some dolphin drill for 25 then regular butterfly for 25. Then we did 4 50s of fly. Then we did a 50 of each stroke, followed by a 100 IM (twice). At that point I was spent. I didn't want to overdo it so soon, so I left while they went on to do a bunch of freestyle. I wanted to go again last night but got stuck doing work until 9pm :-/ Woke up this morning and went to body pump at the gym, so I'm going to be in a lot of pain tomorrow. Trying to get back into a routine though, so we shall see!

I am SO not going to that Masters team.  Yikes!!! 

You have to! I think it's not always that bad. I will let you know how tomorrow goes, as I plan on making it out there nice and early. I also heard that the guy that coaches Friday is really form focused. And Monday nights are only an hour practice that is tri focused (so it's all freestyle).
2016-11-17 10:17 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

I got in a really cool trail run down and up a canyon near my hotel.  OUCH!!  my quads hurt for like three days afterwards.

We flew out of Baltimore around 8:30 AM on Saturday and the wedding was Saturday night, so it was a LOOOOONNNNGGG day.  I stayed up until about 1 AM Cali time so I was pretty cooked.  Got back Tuesday night and I was a mess yesterday.

Back at it today with Bikram though I did a crappy job today.  Oh, well, it's off season, right?

Have any good beers while you were in San Diego? So many good breweries there to choose from.

2016-11-17 2:42 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by MOlsen

Have any good beers while you were in San Diego? So many good breweries there to choose from.

Had my share of Ballast Point Sculpin IPA (which is one of the most damned expensive beers I've ever seen - it's $28 a 12-pack here in MD).  Also had some other ones that I can't remember.  We took the trolley tour of San Diego and the driver/tour guy said there are over 100 micro breweries in San Diego.

2016-11-17 4:28 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by MOlsen

Had my share of Ballast Point Sculpin IPA (which is one of the most damned expensive beers I've ever seen - it's $28 a 12-pack here in MD).  Also had some other ones that I can't remember.  We took the trolley tour of San Diego and the driver/tour guy said there are over 100 micro breweries in San Diego.

Sculpin IPA is a good one! If you are adventurous they also have a couple fruity varieties of it. I've found the crisp bitterness of the Grapefruit Sculpin goes really well with the hops.

2016-11-18 9:36 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to Masters this morning. As expected, it was lots of stroke work. 300 w/u, then we did work on each stroke. 8 25s of a drill, then two 25s of the stroke, then 1 50 of the stroke. After that we ended with a 200 IM. I swam it in 3:10 but have no idea what that means. Finished off with 400m cool down. I could've worked a little hard, but ended up chatting with the lady in my lane a little so we were taking some longer rests. She was very nice.
2016-11-20 6:08 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Went to Masters this morning. As expected, it was lots of stroke work. 300 w/u, then we did work on each stroke. 8 25s of a drill, then two 25s of the stroke, then 1 50 of the stroke. After that we ended with a 200 IM. I swam it in 3:10 but have no idea what that means. Finished off with 400m cool down. I could've worked a little hard, but ended up chatting with the lady in my lane a little so we were taking some longer rests. She was very nice.

That's pretty good - I think it would've killed me. 

For reference, my daughter swam a 2:42 yesterday which is a B time for G13-14.  I did an all-out 50 with a dive (no blocks) during the summer at about :37 flat, which is like an A time for 9-10 YO girls. 

2016-11-20 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Brutal Bikram Yoga session this morning - going to feel that tomorrow.  Speaking of tomorrow, we're headed for a short trip to Cancun, back for Thanksgiving.  Glad flights are non-stop out of BWI.

Have a great weekend everyone and a Happy Thanksgiving!

2016-11-20 8:11 PM
in reply to: #5205145

User image

, California
Had my Tri today. Was good to get back out there after 7+ months since last race and get one race in so this season wasn't completely wasted by the move. It was at a beautiful setting too so who knows, maybe I'll make this one an annual regular.

Now it's time for a couple weeks off including much eating and drinking. Starting with Samuel Smiths Organic Chocolate Stout right now.

Have a good holiday week all!

-Matt
2016-11-21 8:05 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Matt--Congrats on the race!! Still very jealous you have a tri so late in the year!!

Mike--just a quick trip to the tropics. Life is rough, huh? :P

Something amazing happened this weekend!! I got on my bike! Okay, it was only for 30 minutes and it was on the trainer, but I think this is the first time I've been on my bike since my last race in September. The saddle sure felt unfamiliar! I'm hoping it might be a kick start into riding again. Masters swim this morning was a mystery. Coach didn't show up and no one knows why! We're all hoping it is something simple like over sleeping. Did manage to cobble together a workout from past sets. 2600 yds in total, but not a cohesive workout, but a bunch of different stuff. I'm tired, so it must have done some good, right?

Everyone (Americans, at least) excited about Thanksgiving? Big plans? I'm off on Wednesday to my folks house until Sunday. We are having family portraits taken on Saturday. The last time we had these taken I was in fourth or fifth grade. It is a big surprise for my parents, they don't know we have planned this!
2016-11-21 8:58 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Had my Tri today. Was good to get back out there after 7+ months since last race and get one race in so this season wasn't completely wasted by the move. It was at a beautiful setting too so who knows, maybe I'll make this one an annual regular.

Now it's time for a couple weeks off including much eating and drinking. Starting with Samuel Smiths Organic Chocolate Stout right now.

Have a good holiday week all!

-Matt

Congrats! What was the weather like for the tri?
2016-11-21 9:01 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Matt--Congrats on the race!! Still very jealous you have a tri so late in the year!!

Mike--just a quick trip to the tropics. Life is rough, huh? :P

Something amazing happened this weekend!! I got on my bike! Okay, it was only for 30 minutes and it was on the trainer, but I think this is the first time I've been on my bike since my last race in September. The saddle sure felt unfamiliar! I'm hoping it might be a kick start into riding again. Masters swim this morning was a mystery. Coach didn't show up and no one knows why! We're all hoping it is something simple like over sleeping. Did manage to cobble together a workout from past sets. 2600 yds in total, but not a cohesive workout, but a bunch of different stuff. I'm tired, so it must have done some good, right?

Everyone (Americans, at least) excited about Thanksgiving? Big plans? I'm off on Wednesday to my folks house until Sunday. We are having family portraits taken on Saturday. The last time we had these taken I was in fourth or fifth grade. It is a big surprise for my parents, they don't know we have planned this!

Mike, I'm very jealous you are in Cancun right now! It got super cold up here. Saturday was sunny, beautiful and 70 until about 3:30pm (middle of my football game) when it dropped about 30 degrees in an hour. The walk to work this morning was quite chilly.

I am very excited for Thanksgiving! My boyfriend is coming to my family's, so we are leaving after he works a half day Wednesday. Will see some friends, one with a new baby, and have a lot of family time up in Central PA. Then Saturday we will head to the bf's family's house to spend some time with them too.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6321 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17376 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.