BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-02-06 8:11 AM
in reply to: kjvandermolen

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
#49 - 40 min trainer ride....and even a cheering section this morning....my daughter decided she wanted to come down and "watch dada ride"....so she sat there and cheered me on....for 5 min...and then went back up stairs...lol

2016-02-06 2:47 PM
in reply to: #5165629

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Got in all my trainer rides this week, but none of the runs; the motivation just wasn't there. So it'll be a CLP for me.

Spent today building snowmen with the kids.
2016-02-06 3:44 PM

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
#50 - 3 mile run.....

All workouts complete for this week.....man am I (and my legs) glad that tomorrow is a rest day.

2016-02-06 4:27 PM
in reply to: #5165720

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hour and a half cross country ski for me today.

I am sore from swimming yesterday!

Kate
2016-02-06 5:41 PM
in reply to: #5165730

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Out for a quick trail run this afternoon. So amazed at how much harder it is than road running!!
2016-02-06 6:10 PM
in reply to: #5165736

User image

Extreme Veteran
The liquor store rewarded me for my efforts this week. They had Oscar Blues Death by Coconut Irish Porter ;-) Mmmmm!

2016-02-07 5:09 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

ROTHESAY, New Brunswick
The last couple of weeks have had some highs and lows, damn fine margaritas, mojitos, and Puerto Rico's version of Coors Lite..... Medalla Light.

The week before we went on vacation, I was feeling sickish, so I cut back on the training and just did some easy spinning, got some extra sleep, and avoided a full blown cold. The weekend of the big US Snowmaggedon, we drove to Boston and managed to get on a flight to San Juan, Puerto Rico for week. It was awesome 25-30 degrees Celsius everyday. I ran every morning, three runs of 7.5k and two 10k runs. The heat sucked the life out of me. Blood is still thick from the ongoing Canadian winter.

I had hoped to do some ocean swimming, but the sea was angry my friends. Blowing 20kts everyday with big shore break. I got in some bodysurfing, but that's it.

Last week I spent three full days away from home (I'm a corporate pilot). So only one swim and one bike so far, but I ran three times. Planning a longish run (15km) and a one hour ride today. I took the dogs and went into the hills for an hour of snowshoeing yesterday.

The next two weeks I'm focusing on my swimming and biking, because I have a 6 day trip coming up. My swimming is surprisingly good, especially after a 5 year hiatus. I did an 1800m workout this week and I felt strong. I'm gonna build my workouts up to 3000m prior to February 21st. Start of my half IM training.

Biking is going to be on the trainer for the foreseeable future. We just got a big dump of snow, and I think Feb and March will be a write off for any biking outside. The good news..I bought a Garmin speed and cadence sensor which works with my 920XT, and with the online program Zwift. It is an awesome workout tool. Google it and check it out. I think it will bring my cycling to a whole new level since it pushes me to go way harder than I would normally go.

Hope everyone is training hard and doing well.

Cheers
Terry

2016-02-07 10:31 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

5k run this morning made #48 S/B/R workouts for the year.  Planning for a road ride this afternoon.  

2016-02-07 11:54 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Its been awhile. I've been reading everyones post via email notifications but haven't been able to respond since I was on vacation in Costa Rica.  

Since I couldn't bike while there I did do some running to prevent fitness loss. The first day we got back I did a power test and saw a 10% increase in my FTP. It's now back up to last summer's peak so that's promising considering it's only February. I gained a little bit of weight but I tried to track everything on MFP while we were away so I think that helped. Just before the trip I hit an all time low (well since I was probably 19-20) at 73.8kg. I was only back up to 74.8 when we got home. I'm hoping to be down to 70kg by  training camp in April. 

On the business side of things, now that people are starting to think about their summer events I've been really trying to make a push to get more coaching clients which is going pretty well. I started teaching spin classes at my local LBS and in another week I'll be partnering with the owner (who is also a coach and former pro triathlete) to aid in his coaching business. So that'll be exciting. I also decided to change the way I've been going about my coaching services. Before I was doing it on a monthly basis but I found that come fall most people don't have the motivation to keep training and don't have the time. I really don't want to continue making training plans for people who aren't doing the workouts (even if they do continue to pay me). So instead I've started offering packages of 8, 16, and 24 weeks that focus on a particular event. So it works the same as the monthly process (i.e. I make their training plan one-two weeks in advance, help schedule their prep events and train for those) all with an eye towards peak performance in their chosen 'A priority' event. So far, the clients who I have switched over to that module seem to prefer it. I guess in the long run I make a little less money but I'm not doing this to get rich. I just really love helping people be awesome (and I love compiling, analyzing data, and making a plan to improve based on the numbers, lol.) and really have no desire to take someone's money who isn't getting anything out of it.

Other than that, I've been itching to get outside on the bike and start racing. It was hell being in Costa Rica with all those mountain roads and beautiful weather and not being able to ride my bike. I've decided never to go on vacation without my bike ever again. 

2016-02-07 2:05 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hook'em

5k run this morning made #48 S/B/R workouts for the year.  Planning for a road ride nap this afternoon.  

Fixed it.

2016-02-07 11:05 PM

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
I'll start off the update for the week....

Goals:

1) 5x swims
2) 3 30 min runs, 1 20 min run and 5k on saturday
3) Maintain weight (with the superbowl tonight....too many snacking...so if lose anything this week it will be awesome).

2016-02-08 6:05 AM

User image

Week beginning 2/1 goals:  (1) drop 3 pounds, (2) 10k yards swimming, (3) 3 of each S/B/R, and (4) begin core work!

Completed all goals for the week!

2016-02-08 7:01 AM

User image

Originally posted by kjvandermolen I'll start off the update for the week.... Goals: 1) 5x swims 2) 3 30 min runs, 1 20 min run and 5k on saturday 3) Maintain weight (with the superbowl tonight....too many snacking...so if lose anything this week it will be awesome).

Doug's goals for week beginning 2/8:

(1) drop 2 lbs, (2) 3 x each S/B/R, (3) keep up core work.

2016-02-08 8:04 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
#56--short morning run fueled by cheese and Fat Tire last night as I watched the game. I will admit it was somewhat rough out there this morning given my poor dietary choices during the previous 24 hours.

Lunch time will be a long swim and then I am going to inquire about metabolic testing at the gym. I know no details beyond that they will test your resting metabolism, but I'm interested to know what my base metabolism is as a starting point to losing some weight. They will do VO2 max testing too, but I'm just not sure what that is used for, so I'm not planning on having it done.
2016-02-08 8:05 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by thor67

Well off to Phoenix this afternoon for a mini getaway. I have booked bike rental for me and my wife for Friday night to Monday morning. Hoping to get in 3-4 rides in the beautiful sunny warm weather!! Also hoping to go for some great trail runs in the desert as well! More importantly, a trip to BevMO to fill up on great craft beers!

#jealous

Saw the weather this past weekend was spectacular (watched the golf tournament - gotta go watch that one in person someday).

2016-02-08 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by kjvandermolen I'll start off the update for the week.... Goals: 1) 5x swims 2) 3 30 min runs, 1 20 min run and 5k on saturday 3) Maintain weight (with the superbowl tonight....too many snacking...so if lose anything this week it will be awesome).

Doug's goals for week beginning 2/8:

(1) drop 2 lbs, (2) 3 x each S/B/R, (3) keep up core work.

Continue to lose by eating healthy
Make 3x runs
work on core strength on off days

2016-02-08 1:38 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

This week's goal is to nail my planned workouts - we have a big-ish snowstorm coming in tonight/tomorrow so I might have to move things around a little.

Got in a 5K run at lunch today - it was like 45 degrees out so it wound up being really nice.  My first outdoor run since like the beginning of December.

Yes, I know that's pathetic.  :-/

2016-02-08 1:39 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove #56--short morning run fueled by cheese and Fat Tire last night as I watched the game. I will admit it was somewhat rough out there this morning given my poor dietary choices during the previous 24 hours. Lunch time will be a long swim and then I am going to inquire about metabolic testing at the gym. I know no details beyond that they will test your resting metabolism, but I'm interested to know what my base metabolism is as a starting point to losing some weight. They will do VO2 max testing too, but I'm just not sure what that is used for, so I'm not planning on having it done.

And VO2 max testing hurts, so there's that. 

2016-02-08 1:59 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Originally posted by drfoodlove  They will do VO2 max testing too, but I'm just not sure what that is used for, so I'm not planning on having it done.

It's an interesting metric but generally it's not all that useful. 

2016-02-08 3:56 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Man, I have been falling down on the training. I planned to stay home from skiing for the weekend to get in doubles. Not long after my husband and daughter headed to the mountain a friend called and convinced me we needed a powder day. And I caved.

I guess I could have less healthy downfalls than skiing! 19 days prior to Feb is a pretty good start for me.

I do this for fun- so I guess it's all good.

But I need to get on a training plan. So that's my goal for the week. Find a plan and get on the darn bike (although with another foot of snow it's going to be inside).

Skiing rocks - enjoy it - I literally have zero snow in my backyard (in VT!) and i think our ski area has about 12 trails open! I have a season pass but haven't even picked it up yet!! Crazy! Powder days are gold - take 'em while you can get 'em!! I will live my skiing life vicariously through you!
2016-02-08 4:00 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Got in all my trainer rides this week, but none of the runs; the motivation just wasn't there. So it'll be a CLP for me.

Spent today building snowmen with the kids.

I think the snowman makes up for the lack of runs....no CLP

2016-02-08 4:04 PM
in reply to: novaboy

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by novaboy

The last couple of weeks have had some highs and lows, damn fine margaritas, mojitos, and Puerto Rico's version of Coors Lite..... Medalla Light.

The week before we went on vacation, I was feeling sickish, so I cut back on the training and just did some easy spinning, got some extra sleep, and avoided a full blown cold. The weekend of the big US Snowmaggedon, we drove to Boston and managed to get on a flight to San Juan, Puerto Rico for week. It was awesome 25-30 degrees Celsius everyday. I ran every morning, three runs of 7.5k and two 10k runs. The heat sucked the life out of me. Blood is still thick from the ongoing Canadian winter.

I had hoped to do some ocean swimming, but the sea was angry my friends. Blowing 20kts everyday with big shore break. I got in some bodysurfing, but that's it.

Last week I spent three full days away from home (I'm a corporate pilot). So only one swim and one bike so far, but I ran three times. Planning a longish run (15km) and a one hour ride today. I took the dogs and went into the hills for an hour of snowshoeing yesterday.

The next two weeks I'm focusing on my swimming and biking, because I have a 6 day trip coming up. My swimming is surprisingly good, especially after a 5 year hiatus. I did an 1800m workout this week and I felt strong. I'm gonna build my workouts up to 3000m prior to February 21st. Start of my half IM training.

Biking is going to be on the trainer for the foreseeable future. We just got a big dump of snow, and I think Feb and March will be a write off for any biking outside. The good news..I bought a Garmin speed and cadence sensor which works with my 920XT, and with the online program Zwift. It is an awesome workout tool. Google it and check it out. I think it will bring my cycling to a whole new level since it pushes me to go way harder than I would normally go.

Hope everyone is training hard and doing well.

Cheers
Terry

Hi Terry,
i have been wondering if bluetooth was working on Zwift yet - I also have the 920xt and speed and cadence sensors but only a mag trainer and that combo didn't work on Zwift without the ANT+ stick - so it's good with bluetooth now? Sweet!
Nice to see another pilot around!
2016-02-08 4:54 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
Hi all! It's been quite a while. I've been trying to keep up with everyone as you've posted but also just spent the last 45 minutes catching up! Well done, everyone! Gretchen is just killing it - I agree, she gets the consistency award!!! Gretchen, I am also happy to see you're looking into training plans, that's very wise I think.
Dave Q I am so sorry about the job loss - just for that alone I want to get some Heady to you somehow, some way, some day.
Sandi, I am so happy to hear from you. I know you've had a tough go of it - I have admired your tenacity and positive attitude and for that give you the January kudos. Hang in there, girl! We are rooting for you!

January started pretty good, training was picking up nicely, I had a plan in place and the project on the house kind of took over. Two weeks ago my husband respectfully requested I stop working out at all to get the painting done (ceilings, walls, trim, baseboards, doors, etc)....I did. The project has gone for 3 weeks beyond projected (from 3 total) and while we are just about out of the woods, the vanity for the bathroom came in damaged so back it went and a new one will come in two weeks. Odd things started happening - the window in the dining room cracked for no apparent reason - no one has been in there - pressure crack maybe? The hot water holding tank started leaking - 9 years old but covered under warranty as was the window (thankfully). It's been a strange project (all these random things happening while the workmen have been here, thankfully!) and I look forward to it all being behind me. Anyway - we're supposed to be proud of something - I'm proud I've kept it together throughout this project - not happy I stopped training for almost 2 full weeks but wanted to keep the spouse happy too - especially for when I pull the trigger and sign up for the IM this summer and will need time to train more then than now. I started back up with the workouts this past weekend - 1 hour on the trainer on Sat and a run on Sun. Today was "off." I did do core work this past weekend and I am sore! LOL. Good for me.

Goals for February - follow my IM training plan as best I can - I'm playing a little catch up as it's a 30 week plan so for example I was supposed to ride 1.5 this past weekend but rode 1 hour instead since it had been 2 weeks and did core work. I also ran 35 minutes instead of an hour, did core work and PT.
I am up for the core challenge - but I am at 8 days in with only a few core workouts. I hesitate to work the same part hard on a daily basis (except I don't mind doing planks everyday as part of a warm-up routine) so I'll stick with every other day on core stuff.
I can't wait to get back in the pool - that fitness seems to go the fastest with me.

Most importantly....beer... it's been a hard liquor kind of month here. hahahha Kettle One has been my friend along with some red wine, and a wide variety of beer. I actually took a picture of the pile of bottle caps that was accumulating from our nightly painting/beering. I finally threw the pile away but will have to locate the picture. Unfortunately the beer cans were not saved, nor the corks, so it's only a sampling....but it reminded me of college. LOL.
Cheers all!
2016-02-08 5:10 PM

User image

, Vermont
Found it. Root beer caps in there too....kids. LOL

(bottle caps.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bottle caps.jpg (168KB - 4 downloads)
2016-02-08 9:15 PM

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Workout: I did 4.75 miles today on the treadmill. I'm working on changing my stride a little bit because I think it's negatively impacting my knee. As I shift from midfoot to more forefoot my calves are gonna burn a bit more. They're sore but not too bad.

Superbowl party food negated any gains during the week, but I'll take a break even I guess.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6388 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17561 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.