BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-02-08 9:19 PM
in reply to: kjvandermolen

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
#51 - 20 min swim.....absolutely no gas this morning...struggled through the whole thing

#52 - 3 mile run....25 degrees F, 10 mph wind and snowing....great day for a run.

2016-02-09 5:21 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

ROTHESAY, New Brunswick
Jenn,

I had to get the Garmin ANT stick too for it to all work with Zwift. I'm using my old Cyclops Fluid trainer, so I can only change the resistance by selecting a higher gear. I'm quite happy with the program.

What do you fly? I gave up the airline thing over 10 years ago, and went corporate, now flying a Falcon 2000LX for a privately owned family business.

Good luck with the house renos and IM training. Been there before. I hate renos. What IM are you doing?

Cheers
Terry
2016-02-09 6:32 AM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Snewo Workout: I did 4.75 miles today on the treadmill. I'm working on changing my stride a little bit because I think it's negatively impacting my knee. As I shift from midfoot to more forefoot my calves are gonna burn a bit more. They're sore but not too bad. Superbowl party food negated any gains during the week, but I'll take a break even I guess.

Stride changes take a while, so be careful.  I tried to force a forefoot strike a couple of years ago and would up with achillies tendonosis.  I think in the long run (no pun intended) it's a good idea, though.

2016-02-09 10:15 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Originally posted by kevinbe
Originally posted by Hook'em

Originally posted by kjvandermolen I'll start off the update for the week.... Goals: 1) 5x swims 2) 3 30 min runs, 1 20 min run and 5k on saturday 3) Maintain weight (with the superbowl tonight....too many snacking...so if lose anything this week it will be awesome).

Doug's goals for week beginning 2/8:

(1) drop 2 lbs, (2) 3 x each S/B/R, (3) keep up core work.

Continue to lose by eating healthy Make 3x runs work on core strength on off days

Goals for the week (already edited one day into the week):

1. Lose 2 lbs
  2. 2x trainer rides
  3. 3x 2x run
  4. 1x shovel incredibly long driveway

Weight has been flat the last few weeks, so if I can't get it moving again, I may need to join the rest of you MFP loggers.

2016-02-09 12:04 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

4 workouts in already this week:

Monday - noon 5K run, evening 1800M swim and upper body ST
Tuesday - morning 60' Z2 on the trainer, lunch 1400Y swim

I normally do my pool training in a SCM pool, but today schools were closed so my daughter (the good swimmer in the family) and I went to the other location where it's SCY.  What a difference!!

2016-02-09 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Originally posted by Moonrocket

Man, I have been falling down on the training. I planned to stay home from skiing for the weekend to get in doubles. Not long after my husband and daughter headed to the mountain a friend called and convinced me we needed a powder day. And I caved.

I guess I could have less healthy downfalls than skiing! 19 days prior to Feb is a pretty good start for me.

I do this for fun- so I guess it's all good.

But I need to get on a training plan. So that's my goal for the week. Find a plan and get on the darn bike (although with another foot of snow it's going to be inside).

Skiing rocks - enjoy it - I literally have zero snow in my backyard (in VT!) and i think our ski area has about 12 trails open! I have a season pass but haven't even picked it up yet!! Crazy! Powder days are gold - take 'em while you can get 'em!! I will live my skiing life vicariously through you!

You're a pilot, right? Come to Colorado!

Isn't there a storm hitting you now? I hope you get some skiing out of it!

2016-02-09 2:32 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Snewo

Workout: I did 4.75 miles today on the treadmill. I'm working on changing my stride a little bit because I think it's negatively impacting my knee. As I shift from midfoot to more forefoot my calves are gonna burn a bit more. They're sore but not too bad.

Superbowl party food negated any gains during the week, but I'll take a break even I guess.

How are you going about changing your stride? Just focusing on it and making a change? Very Interesting!
2016-02-09 3:36 PM

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
#53 - 30 min swim this morning.

Scratching the run for today.....I was really feeling it yesterday and legs are just dead today....Throwing in a rest day today and then back tomorrow and short run thursday and maybe friday before the 5K on Saturday....
2016-02-09 11:00 PM
in reply to: #5165738

User image

, California
Sorry very late getting goals out here this week. Already Wednesday afternoon. Anyway:

1) Complete 5 of the 6 planned workouts for week 1 of the Olympic distance training plan. I'm travelling on family vacation from Thursday to Tuesday so giving myself a pass on one workout. Trying to cram in 6 in 3 days would've been too tough and I don't know what facilities will be like at our destination.

2) Stick with the core challenge. I've gone 9 for 9 thus far in Feb. This I can definitely commit to on vacation.

I think I'm going light on goals this week.

-Matt
2016-02-10 5:30 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

ROTHESAY, New Brunswick
So far the week has been good, Monday I did an hour on the bike trainer, riding on Zwift, which was killer. I had planned on swimming, but decided to go snowshoeing in the hills with the dogs for an hour. Tuesday, 2000m in the pool and a 45min bike trainer session. Today, back to the pool for another 2000m, snowshoe with the dogs and a short run this afternoon. Thursday another 2000m, Friday will be a day off since I'm away working all day. Saturday will be a 90min bike, and 15km run on Sunday. Hopefully. That's the plan so far.

Weight wise, I'm hovering around the 188-190lbs mark. Hopefully by the summer I should be in the 170lbs range. That is my ideal race weight. I was 168lbs at IM Florida, and when I ran my ultra in 2013.

I do have to start eating better. I used to have 1-2 glasses of wine a night, which I cut out, now it's only one day a week, and I just cut out eating sweets. Homemade chocolate chips cookies are my kryptonite. I am cursed with a wife that is an excellent baker. More fruit and veggies on the plate at suppertime. Someone told me french fries were not a vegetable. WTF. LOL

2016-02-10 9:44 AM

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
#54 - 33 min swim

running this afternoon.....

2016-02-10 12:47 PM
in reply to: novaboy

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by novaboy

Jenn,

I had to get the Garmin ANT stick too for it to all work with Zwift. I'm using my old Cyclops Fluid trainer, so I can only change the resistance by selecting a higher gear. I'm quite happy with the program.

What do you fly? I gave up the airline thing over 10 years ago, and went corporate, now flying a Falcon 2000LX for a privately owned family business.

Good luck with the house renos and IM training. Been there before. I hate renos. What IM are you doing?

Cheers
Terry

Okay, the ANT stick was what I was wondering about. Thanks for the info.

I've flown charter (primarily Citation II, Hawker, King Air) then went commercial - J41, A319, B757/767 internationally. Right now I'm raising my boys - 8 & 10 so I'm teaching Instrument Ground School at a local college in a 4 year aviation degree program and running them through the wringer on the flight line....a bit different than shooting approaches into the Azores but it keeps my hand in it a bit. I hope to get back to commercial soon - loved the days off...and the pay.
2016-02-10 12:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Okay, pucker factor just went up....I just signed up for IMMT and I'm now a nervous wreck. August 21st now seems very close. With just over 5,905' (1800m) of elevation gain it appears to be no joke of a bike course. (granted it's still 1,100' shy of IMLP but still!!!!).

Dave Q and Alan, I will need to pick your brains on this course so I can figure out how best to simulate things here in the Green Mountains. I'm fortunate in that Mont Tremblant is about a 3 hour drive from here so no flying involved. I'm now debating between my tri bike and road bike given the elevation gain. I have already been told by one source to use my tri bike - that it's mostly rolling with one really stout hill you have to do twice - does this sound accurate? Of course everyone's idea of what is "rolling" is different. hahahaha
I've mentioned before that my PT races bikes, so tomorrow when I go in I will query about specific strengthening exercises for cycling. Fortunately we have a number of ski areas here with notch roads I can do crazy hill repeats on but I am still a hot mess about this - so nervous. (and giddy too).

Onward.
yesterday: 45 min Z2 run on treadmill followed immediately by 2,200 yds in the pool (got time limited - was supposed to have been 2500)
today's docket: short 100+ rpm spin with a quick change to a 15 minute run

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-02-10 12:59 PM
2016-02-10 1:03 PM

User image

, Vermont
oh, goals - follow my plan which is often 2 a days with 1 day off a week (usually Monday)
Still trying to do core work every other day.
2016-02-10 2:06 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Jenn--Congrats!! Signing up is the first step! You'll rock those hills!!!

#59--3mi run this morning at 3F. Seven hours later I think I'm finally thawed out.

#60--2000yds in the pool. I'm making good progress in the pool lately. Really enjoying taking 13min off my 2000 yd time from the beginning of the year. Not sure how I did it, but I'm gonna take it! Today is two swims in a row I recorded a similar time for the distance, so last time wasn't a fluke or a counting error!
2016-02-10 2:42 PM

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Okay, pucker factor just went up....I just signed up for IMMT and I'm now a nervous wreck. August 21st now seems very close. With just over 5,905' (1800m) of elevation gain it appears to be no joke of a bike course. (granted it's still 1,100' shy of IMLP but still!!!!). Dave Q and Alan, I will need to pick your brains on this course so I can figure out how best to simulate things here in the Green Mountains. I'm fortunate in that Mont Tremblant is about a 3 hour drive from here so no flying involved. I'm now debating between my tri bike and road bike given the elevation gain. I have already been told by one source to use my tri bike - that it's mostly rolling with one really stout hill you have to do twice - does this sound accurate? Of course everyone's idea of what is "rolling" is different. hahahaha I've mentioned before that my PT races bikes, so tomorrow when I go in I will query about specific strengthening exercises for cycling. Fortunately we have a number of ski areas here with notch roads I can do crazy hill repeats on but I am still a hot mess about this - so nervous. (and giddy too). Onward. yesterday: 45 min Z2 run on treadmill followed immediately by 2,200 yds in the pool (got time limited - was supposed to have been 2500) today's docket: short 100+ rpm spin with a quick change to a 15 minute run

Definitely use the tri bike. The first part of the course is mostly gentle rollers along a beautifully paved highway. You probably won't even need to shift gears. There are are couple of kickers to go up but it's pretty gradual. Along that stretch you can get into a good rhythm and even though it's a climb its more like a false flat. When I was riding it it felt like mostly a flat but I just felt a little sluggish because I was actually on a slight grade. It kicks up towards the turn around but its still a long gradual climb that you can do on the aerobars. On the way down you feel like a bullet because you're on the good end of the false flat. Then it remains mostly flat until you get off the highway. As you come to the second turn around, it starts to get hard. It kicks hard, plateaus, kicks hard, plateaus, kicks hard.... you get the idea. It does that all the way up to the second turn around (the course has two out and back sections). That section is relatively short distance-wise but long in terms of feel because it's a hard climb up. 

I think Dave used his road bike (I don't think he has a tri bike though). Personally, even though it seems like a lot of climbing, its over 180km. If it were that much climbing on a 100km course, that would be different but over such a long distance the climbing doesn't feel that bad. 

As for strength, get a damn power meter!! lol. They're pretty affordable now. Once you have that just do a ton of sweet spot work. You don't need a ton 'strength' per say. i.e. don't listen to anyone who tells you to go out and do 'big gear' climb repeats to build 'strength'. On the trainer do 15-20 minutes sweet spot intervals and when you get outside find long gradual climbs and do those a steady tempo pace. 

Edited by adempsey10 2016-02-10 2:43 PM

2016-02-10 3:36 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by adempsey10

As for strength, get a damn power meter!! lol. They're pretty affordable now.

Any recommendations? I've been thinking about one recently, but I don't even know where to start.
2016-02-10 3:40 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats on pulling the trigger Jenn!

Nice swim improvement Gretchen! Do you do a lot of long distance sets?

It was 66f today in CO- so I went running in shorts! Such a nice break from winter!
2016-02-10 3:45 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Originally posted by drfoodlove  Any recommendations? I've been thinking about one recently, but I don't even know where to start.

I like and use stages. They're not too badly priced but they work well. They transmit both ANT+ and Bluetooth so you can pair it with your phone. 

2016-02-10 3:56 PM

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
#55 - 3 mi run in the snow....
2016-02-10 9:24 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by drfoodlove  Any recommendations? I've been thinking about one recently, but I don't even know where to start.

I like and use stages. They're not too badly priced but they work well. They transmit both ANT+ and Bluetooth so you can pair it with your phone. 

I almost pulled the trigger on a Stages meter - nice price at around $425 on sale I think. I didn't because I wanted to check my crank arm lengths on both bikes. My goal is to get a crank arm I can swap between both bikes so I can get power readings from both. As it turns out, my road bike is 172 and my tri bike is 170. They're both by Felt and both 54cm bikes. Harumph. Also, the way the crank attaches to my tri bike is very different than on my road bike so I'm not sure there is a work-around for it. I've been meaning to contact the LBS I bought the bike from, just haven't yet. I don't plan to buy the meter from them so it's a curious situation a bit. The other LBS that has it doesn't sell Felt, they sell Specialized so had no idea anything about my situation. I'm weighing if I just use power on one and leave my speed and cadence sensors on the other and call it a day. If i do that, which bike do I choose? I plan to do a lot of climbing this summer so that would mean road bike, but then I wouldn't have it for races. I may drop a note to Felt to see what they think. They must have dealt with this before.

2016-02-11 4:13 AM

User image

ROTHESAY, New Brunswick
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Originally posted by novaboy

Jenn,

Cheers
Terry

Okay, the ANT stick was what I was wondering about. Thanks for the info.

I've flown charter (primarily Citation II, Hawker, King Air) then went commercial - J41, A319, B757/767 internationally. Right now I'm raising my boys - 8 & 10 so I'm teaching Instrument Ground School at a local college in a 4 year aviation degree program and running them through the wringer on the flight line....a bit different than shooting approaches into the Azores but it keeps my hand in it a bit. I hope to get back to commercial soon - loved the days off...and the pay.

Hey Jenn Congrats on signing up for IM MT. I was on the fence about doing that this year, and decided a half would be a better idea. I plan on signing up for 2017. Looking forward to your race report later in August.

You've had a pretty good career in aviation too, always wanted to fly the 767, closest I got was the 737NG. I might teach when I retire, FlightSafety seems to be the place old pilots go to die. LOL.

Cheers
Terry
2016-02-11 4:20 AM

User image

ROTHESAY, New Brunswick
The Stages power meter looks reasonably priced, and compatible with Garmin. The Garmin Vector 2S Pedal power meters are not that much more, and would be easier to swap from bike to bike.

Edited by novaboy 2016-02-11 4:21 AM
2016-02-11 4:32 AM

User image

ROTHESAY, New Brunswick
Hey folks,

Yesterday I did a max effort run. 6.5km over rolling terrain. For me it was fast, 3mins faster than the last time I ran the same route 10 days ago. I'm almost 47 years old and my HR spiked at 202bpm coming up the last hill to finish. 14mins of the run I was in 174-188bpm range. Anyone else have a high HR when running? My resting rate is 45bpm.

I know I'm still getting back into shape again, but even when I was younger just before my last Ironman, my HR seemed to be very high for the effort. My easy, long runs my HR averages high 150's to mid 160's.

Cheers
Terry
2016-02-11 6:11 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by novaboy Hey folks, Yesterday I did a max effort run. 6.5km over rolling terrain. For me it was fast, 3mins faster than the last time I ran the same route 10 days ago. I'm almost 47 years old and my HR spiked at 202bpm coming up the last hill to finish. 14mins of the run I was in 174-188bpm range. Anyone else have a high HR when running? My resting rate is 45bpm. I know I'm still getting back into shape again, but even when I was younger just before my last Ironman, my HR seemed to be very high for the effort. My easy, long runs my HR averages high 150's to mid 160's. Cheers Terry

I'm the exact opposite, actually.  My resting HR is similar to yours (low 40s), but I max out the kick in 5K race in the high 150s.  My LTHR on the bike is the low 130s and on the run the high 130s.  202????!!!!!  Wow.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6368 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17504 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.