BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-02-11 6:26 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

ROTHESAY, New Brunswick
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by novaboy Hey folks, Yesterday I did a max effort run. 6.5km over rolling terrain. For me it was fast, 3mins faster than the last time I ran the same route 10 days ago. I'm almost 47 years old and my HR spiked at 202bpm coming up the last hill to finish. 14mins of the run I was in 174-188bpm range. Anyone else have a high HR when running? My resting rate is 45bpm. I know I'm still getting back into shape again, but even when I was younger just before my last Ironman, my HR seemed to be very high for the effort. My easy, long runs my HR averages high 150's to mid 160's. Cheers Terry

I'm the exact opposite, actually.  My resting HR is similar to yours (low 40s), but I max out the kick in 5K race in the high 150s.  My LTHR on the bike is the low 130s and on the run the high 130s.  202????!!!!!  Wow.

202 was the highest I've seen since I was 30 years old. Usually it's in the high 180's.

2016-02-11 8:07 AM
in reply to: novaboy

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Thanks Alan for the recommendation on power meters!

Moonrocket--I don't tend to swim long sets. Yesterday the longest I did was 250yds(x4), but it was supposed to be 6x200--I just lost count on the second rep and then had to adjust on the fly to finish out on a round number. Mostly I do a lot of 50/75/100s with very few longer sets tossed in there. I use Shelia T.s Swim Speed Workouts as my base and modify based on time available. I think they are supposed to be done in order, but I draw a workout out at random and do it. It seems more fun that way.

#61--yoga last night focusing on flexibility. The dog was quite helpful. Her favorite pose is downward dog, during which she either licked my face and nibbled on my ear or laid on the ground below me swatting at my arms. She loves to play anytime anyone is on the ground, so it is to be expected.

#62--40 min on the trainer this morning. I'm focusing on trying to increase my cadence, for my next event (registration in the mail this morning)--an indoor tri at the school's rec center. I have to defend my 2015 1st place F30-39 championship! The bike portion is on spin bikes and the only thing that matters is how high your cadence is--that drives the total number of "miles" ridden and therefore your score for the bike portion. Working to try to up those RPM for the next two weeks. It is on 2/28.
2016-02-11 8:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by novaboy

Hey folks,

Yesterday I did a max effort run. 6.5km over rolling terrain. For me it was fast, 3mins faster than the last time I ran the same route 10 days ago. I'm almost 47 years old and my HR spiked at 202bpm coming up the last hill to finish. 14mins of the run I was in 174-188bpm range. Anyone else have a high HR when running? My resting rate is 45bpm.

I know I'm still getting back into shape again, but even when I was younger just before my last Ironman, my HR seemed to be very high for the effort. My easy, long runs my HR averages high 150's to mid 160's.

Cheers
Terry

I have a crazy high heart rate- I rarely use a HR monitor- but last spring ran with one and was at 180 while chatting with friends and jogging (I'm 40). I'm on the edge of pulling the trigger on a Scosche Rhythm+ Heart Rate Monitor Armband. I can't stand the chest ones. I think it would be good to get a feel for it.

Even in college my coach though I couldn't do pulse since I was always way high.

Kate
2016-02-11 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by novaboy

Originally posted by novaboy Hey folks, Yesterday I did a max effort run. 6.5km over rolling terrain. For me it was fast, 3mins faster than the last time I ran the same route 10 days ago. I'm almost 47 years old and my HR spiked at 202bpm coming up the last hill to finish. 14mins of the run I was in 174-188bpm range. Anyone else have a high HR when running? My resting rate is 45bpm. I know I'm still getting back into shape again, but even when I was younger just before my last Ironman, my HR seemed to be very high for the effort. My easy, long runs my HR averages high 150's to mid 160's. Cheers Terry

I'm the exact opposite, actually.  My resting HR is similar to yours (low 40s), but I max out the kick in 5K race in the high 150s.  My LTHR on the bike is the low 130s and on the run the high 130s.  202????!!!!!  Wow.

202 was the highest I've seen since I was 30 years old. Usually it's in the high 180's.

And out of curiosity, what possessed you to do a MAX EFFORT 4+ mile run??? 

2016-02-11 8:21 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Moonrocket
I have a crazy high heart rate- I rarely use a HR monitor- but last spring ran with one and was at 180 while chatting with friends and jogging (I'm 40). I'm on the edge of pulling the trigger on a Scosche Rhythm+ Heart Rate Monitor Armband. I can't stand the chest ones. I think it would be good to get a feel for it. Even in college my coach though I couldn't do pulse since I was always way high. Kate

I have one of these and I love it.  I wear it on my wrist, which gives some weird readings once in a while but to me HR is a lagging indicator anyway.  I might move it up to the bicep area at some point.  WAY better than those chest straps which were useless for me the first 10-15 min of a workout, even with wetting it or electrode gel, etc.

And the LEDs are cool, too. 

2016-02-11 9:54 AM

User image

Seems like most are doing well. I am resting and no longer coughing up stuff, but the antibiotic I am on is tough. My goal is to get in gear and start training regularly next week. My goal for next week is going to be 6 sessions.

as for power meters I think I am going to get the vector. There was another one (name has slipped my mind) I saw on DC Rainmaker page, but it is not yet in production.

2016-02-11 11:01 AM
in reply to: kjvandermolen

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
#56 - 45 min swim.....actually felt good this morning.....
2016-02-11 1:09 PM
in reply to: kjvandermolen

User image

, Vermont
45 min on the trainer this morning - easier gears, high cadence work
2500 yds in the pool - lots of short interval pull sets
then I went to my PT appointment - haven't been since before Christmas. Fortunately nothing seems too terribly tight - yay. I sent him an email this morning asking for exercises to help me get stronger in the butt and legs for cycling and boy did he have them ready when I got there - they're actually some of the things he and his wife do every morning for exercises (they both race). I am going to be sore tomorrow.

After all that, stick a fork in me. I need salty meats. I had to pause here and there at the PT's because I kept getting light headed (I have pretty low blood pressure). Next time I'll bring a Gatorade or bacon....
2016-02-11 2:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont

Originally posted by b2b14
Originally posted by Qua17 Crappy run this morning. It was a slog which inspired the Question of the Week: How do you motivate yourself when you get really tired and want to pack it in?
I always remind myself that nothing worth doing is easy. And try to find a good angry song to listen to while I suffer though it.

Sirius/XM "Lithium" channel usually does the trick. 

Pulled this one from way back - what "channel" is the Lithium channel on XM? Some of those 04:30 drives to the gym could benefit from listening to loud, angry music. I listen to way too much "Coffee House."

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-02-11 2:07 PM
2016-02-11 3:26 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

New user
Madrid
Jenn, I am impressed! Signing up for IMMT deserves R-E-S-P-E-C-T!
Great week so far, tuesday 2200m swim with 45 spin bike, wedn 45 min run, and today 60 min bike.
Looking ahead for HIM in May.
Broke my new role of avoiding alcohol during the week, but I deserved it: opened a great red, tempranillo, from Toro region..... I drove there yesterday to check my vineyard and had a teleconf with L.A. from the winery (picture attached), amazing with wi-fi technology can do!!!

Juan

(IMG_0577.JPG)

(IMG_0577.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0577.JPG (129KB - 4 downloads)
IMG_0577.JPG (129KB - 3 downloads)
2016-02-11 5:50 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

, Vermont
Juan, I adore tempranillos! I would like to go to this place and be surrounded by casks of Tempranillo! Hahaha I just had a Tempranillo last weekend with a gorgeous strip steak! Yum

2016-02-12 6:09 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Juancho Jenn, I am impressed! Signing up for IMMT deserves R-E-S-P-E-C-T! Great week so far, tuesday 2200m swim with 45 spin bike, wedn 45 min run, and today 60 min bike. Looking ahead for HIM in May. Broke my new role of avoiding alcohol during the week, but I deserved it: opened a great red, tempranillo, from Toro region..... I drove there yesterday to check my vineyard and had a teleconf with L.A. from the winery (picture attached), amazing with wi-fi technology can do!!! Juan

Wait...WHAT?? You own a vineyard?  How cool!!!

2016-02-12 6:11 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802

Originally posted by Qua17 Crappy run this morning. It was a slog which inspired the Question of the Week: How do you motivate yourself when you get really tired and want to pack it in?
I always remind myself that nothing worth doing is easy. And try to find a good angry song to listen to while I suffer though it.

Pulled this one from way back - what "channel" is the Lithium channel on XM? Some of those 04:30 drives to the gym could benefit from listening to loud, angry music. I listen to way too much "Coffee House."

I think it's channel 34 on Sirius/XM, 9934 on Dish Network.

2016-02-12 6:14 AM
in reply to: #5166749

User image

, Vermont
BDAS trip to Spain is in order
2016-02-12 6:16 AM
in reply to: #5166784

User image

, Vermont
Trying to get out of bed this morning....I was right, I am so sore from yesterday's PT leg/butt work.
Hopefully today's hour run will loosen things up a bit.
2016-02-12 7:54 AM

User image

, Vermont

I think it's channel 34 on Sirius/XM, 9934 on Dish Network.

Thx, I'll check it out on the way to the gym this morning.

2016-02-12 7:55 AM

User image

, Vermont
Hey, has anyone used Infinit for longer distance events? So many people swear by it - that's literally all they use for the entire course.
2016-02-12 9:05 AM

User image

ROTHESAY, New Brunswick
Never tried Infinit but have had excellent results with Tailwind Nutrition. I did an entire 67km ultra marathon using it only. Easy on the stomach too. Will never use Gatorade or Gu again.
2016-02-12 9:14 AM

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802 I almost pulled the trigger on a Stages meter - nice price at around $425 on sale I think. I didn't because I wanted to check my crank arm lengths on both bikes. My goal is to get a crank arm I can swap between both bikes so I can get power readings from both. As it turns out, my road bike is 172 and my tri bike is 170. They're both by Felt and both 54cm bikes. Harumph. Also, the way the crank attaches to my tri bike is very different than on my road bike so I'm not sure there is a work-around for it. I've been meaning to contact the LBS I bought the bike from, just haven't yet. I don't plan to buy the meter from them so it's a curious situation a bit. The other LBS that has it doesn't sell Felt, they sell Specialized so had no idea anything about my situation. I'm weighing if I just use power on one and leave my speed and cadence sensors on the other and call it a day. If i do that, which bike do I choose? I plan to do a lot of climbing this summer so that would mean road bike, but then I wouldn't have it for races. I may drop a note to Felt to see what they think. They must have dealt with this before.

It doesn't matter what the brand of the bike is or whether the shop deals in that particular brand. BBs are fairly universal, at least in the sense that there are no brand proprietary BBs. BBs are mostly determined by crank and almost all bikes will take a multitude of different BBs and cranks. You should really use the same crank length for both bikes though. Switching can really mess with your pedal stroke. 

As for PM on training or racing bike. In bike racing, a PM on a race bike isn't as important as it is to have it on the training bike (unless they're both the same like me, then it doesn't matter). But in triathlon, a PM is an invaluable tool for pacing, so it's very handy to have it on your TT bike. It might cost a little bit (new BB and crank for at least one bike) to get both the same but it would be well worth it. 

Otherwise, a good work around is the new Garmin vector single pedal power. It's half the cost of the two pedal version (duh) and works really well. It's actually easier to swap the vectors because, well, for one pedals are easier to swap in general, but with the Stages you have to get the torque right on the bolts when you put the arm on, this is not the case with vector. 

2016-02-12 9:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Hey, has anyone used Infinit for longer distance events? So many people swear by it - that's literally all they use for the entire course.

In my experience the brand doesn't matter so much as the mixture. When it comes to carb drinks, I use PowerBar's Perform mix. The key is to make sure that your ratio of mix to water is right. It takes about a litre of fluid to properly digest 30g of carbs. So if you put too much mix into the bottle, you'll end up feeling bloated and crampy. And a lot of times drink mixes recommend much more than that. The Perform I use, for example, wants me to mix 1 scoop (34g of carbs) for every half litre of water. Way too much. 

In races where I just use an electrolyte drink, I usually just mix a bit of salt and lemon juice with my water (not enough to make the water overly sour or salty tasting but enough to get what I need. (In fact, a lot of professional bike teams just go to McDonald's and swipe packets of salt to use in their bottles). When I did IMMT, I kept two bottles on my bike (one was just water, and the other was whatever sport drink they hand out at the aid stations). For every mouthful of sport drink, I took a sip of water. I used gels on the bike only because I couldn't carry anything else (no pockets in a tri-suit). On the run I ate a quarter of a Banana (which is how they hand them to you) at every aid station, took a cup of water and a cup of whatever sport drink they were offering. I had a water belt but never used it because there were so many aid stations. I regret wearing that stupid thing and unless I go for a very long training run (more than 12km) in the country where there are no stores or drinking fountains, I will never wear a water belt ever again. 

There's so much marketing in the athletic supplement/performance mix industry that its really hard to get around it. Even Ironman itself aids in the marketing of these products and makes huge dollars off of it. In reality, all these drinks amount to very little in actual performance improvement. No matter what supplement you use, regardless of its clever marketing, all sport drink mixes/gels are basically just salt and flavoured corn syrup. 

Edited by adempsey10 2016-02-12 9:39 AM
2016-02-12 10:01 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Originally posted by Moonrocket
I have a crazy high heart rate- I rarely use a HR monitor- but last spring ran with one and was at 180 while chatting with friends and jogging (I'm 40). I'm on the edge of pulling the trigger on a Scosche Rhythm+ Heart Rate Monitor Armband. I can't stand the chest ones. I think it would be good to get a feel for it. Even in college my coach though I couldn't do pulse since I was always way high. Kate

Like I said in my HR post, your max HR and work rate HR is largely determined by genetics. You both are perfect examples why the whole 220 minus age thing doesn't work. Some people have naturally high HRs. Frankly I surprised that you (novaboy) have such a high HR and such a low resting HR. That means you have a massive HR reserve, which theoretically is very good. I know I said before that HR work rates vary by person and are not objective, but generally, the lower the working HR, the more fit you are. But this is relative of course to your natural rhythm. A lower working HR means your heart pumps more efficiently. Chris Froome's HR at his functional threshold (about 420watts) is only in the mid 140s. That's insanely low but his max HR is probably only 170-175.

If you're (moonrocket) hitting 180 and still having a chat, that makes me think you have a high natural HR, and with quality training you'd probably see yourself running the same pace (and effort) with a lower HR (maybe 170) but you'll never be Chris Froome low (which says nothing about potential, just emphasizing the point about genetics). Have you ever been tested or told you have tachycardia? If your resting HR is high (90s-100s) you might have that. I'm the opposite. I have bradycardia, a naturally very low HR. Resting is around 34-38 and max is about 185 even when I was untrained. I would start using an HRM more often though because 180 seems a tad excessive and maybe your strap was malfunctioning or something. The highest Ive ever seen someone's zone 2 endurance HR was 160. 

2016-02-12 1:48 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
It's to keep an emotional tie to my grandpas town - bough a small piece of land, and trade my grapes old style: I grow 10.000 kg of grapes and in exchange, this guy who owns the winery makes 300 bottles of tempranillo, good enough to give to my friends and family. As Jenn suggested, BDAS trip to Spain granted!!! If not, I will create a label for next vintage (tri-wine) and may be move to BDAS 2.0 = BWDAS hahaha

Great 10k run under the rain today - weekend is here.

Alan, thanks for your explanation (and unlimited knowledge) on sports drink, I have read quite a lot about it and it is extremely confusing: agree that most of it is salt and flavor but this Infinite brand is more than carbs, right?

Juan

Originally posted by Juancho Jenn, I am impressed! Signing up for IMMT deserves R-E-S-P-E-C-T! Great week so far, tuesday 2200m swim with 45 spin bike, wedn 45 min run, and today 60 min bike. Looking ahead for HIM in May. Broke my new role of avoiding alcohol during the week, but I deserved it: opened a great red, tempranillo, from Toro region..... I drove there yesterday to check my vineyard and had a teleconf with L.A. from the winery (picture attached), amazing with wi-fi technology can do!!! Juan

Wait...WHAT?? You own a vineyard?  How cool!!!

2016-02-12 2:01 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
I have read about it Infinit drink, but never tried. In fact, I am ok with drinks and gels, my main problem are bars. I found a brand that I tolerate very well of energy drink (Keepgoing) and another one of gels (226ers), but not bars that I can eat in long race, so I bough the Feed Zone Portables to get ideas, and more and more I rely on bananas and real food (sandwiches with rolled bread and peanut butter).

On the bike, every 20 min I do gel-gel-have a sandwich, always with water/energy drink, and has worked extremely well so far.

Juan
2016-02-12 2:03 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Alan--thanks for all the great info!

#63--3mi run at pre-dawn in freshly fallen snow. It was really rather picturesque.

#64--2000yd swim at the really crowded pool. This year it seems like all the new swimmers are sticking with it and my pool, which is usually pretty empty, is crowded a lot. Good for them!
2016-02-12 2:20 PM

User image

Hey, has anyone used Infinit for longer distance events? So many people swear by it - that's literally all they use for the entire course.

I have, and loved it. I only drank it on the bike but never got hungry. While I agree that most are just sugar water infinit has a little protein and more salt. You can also customize a formula for you.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6393 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17567 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.