BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-04-21 9:48 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by kevinbe

25K race today. It's fun to back at it again. I need to put more effort into my training to see better results on race day. Too many missed training runs over the last few weeks led to a rockier finish than I'd hoped.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

For a guy who doesn't like fruit beers - I'm amazed that you continue to impress me! Nice work, bud!

Hate the idea of berries and hops together.

188.6 this morning. BAM!

I haven't been below 192 in almost 2 years, and was 224 at my heaviest last summer. I was drinking too much and eating all things in sight. A lot depressed as I'd just left the teaching profession after putting 8 yrs. in, getting my graduates degree in spec. ed.

Now a year later, I'm back up and running (did 4.6 miles today at a 8:08/min,) and finally below 190.

Next goal: get to 180.

2016-04-21 10:38 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

25K race today. It's fun to back at it again. I need to put more effort into my training to see better results on race day. Too many missed training runs over the last few weeks led to a rockier finish than I'd hoped.

For a guy who doesn't like fruit beers - I'm amazed that you continue to impress me! Nice work, bud!

188.6 this morning. BAM!

I haven't been below 192 in almost 2 years, and was 224 at my heaviest last summer. I was drinking too much and eating all things in sight. A lot depressed as I'd just left the teaching profession after putting 8 yrs. in, getting my graduates degree in spec. ed.

Now a year later, I'm back up and running (did 4.6 miles today at a 8:08/min,) and finally below 190.

Congratulations! You are crushing it, that is so great!
2016-04-22 8:24 AM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Had a blast this morning at masters swim. For some unknown reason the pool was set up as 25yd instead of the 50m it should have been. So, coach set the entire team up for sets that took off on the same interval (faster folks had longer intervals). It was awesome--a real sense of team. Another bonus is that swimming at 25yds allowed me to compare to previous swims from before masters. I think I'm getting faster! My rough calculation/observation, about 2-3 sec faster per 100yds in just two weeks. Pretty happy with that!!

As soon as it warms up a touch I'm going out for a ride. Then I'm off to Indy to celebrate a niece and a nephew's birthday. Hoping to squeeze in a run there tomorrow morning. Have a great weekend everyone!!
2016-04-22 2:46 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Expert
I be down for doing that with you Dennis! I've heard about it and would love to do it.

DQ
2016-04-22 2:47 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Anyone ever done a Ragnar relay? I found out the other day that MA has both a road relay (in May) and trail (August). I've never considered a long format race like that before, but I have to say I'm intrigued by the trail relay. 8 runners per team, 15 miles each over 3 legs (so a bit over 100 mi total).

I haven't but had some friends do one last year. I think my main piece of advice is make sure you don't have someone overbearing and controlling in your car! And also people that recognize that it may be a bit uncomfortable at times. The only complaints I heard were that one girl was bossing everyone around and another was complaining the entire time. Having good people to do it with will make all the difference!

All the more reason why we should do it together : )
2016-04-22 2:51 PM

User image

Expert

188.6 this morning. BAM!

Set a goal. Make it - drink what ever beer you want. Don't make it - fruit beers for a month : )

Seriously - congrats! I need some of your mojo. I'm almost 50 pounds heavier than you. God - I need to lose it like I did back in the day!

2016-04-22 2:53 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Had a blast this morning at masters swim. For some unknown reason the pool was set up as 25yd instead of the 50m it should have been. So, coach set the entire team up for sets that took off on the same interval (faster folks had longer intervals). It was awesome--a real sense of team. Another bonus is that swimming at 25yds allowed me to compare to previous swims from before masters. I think I'm getting faster! My rough calculation/observation, about 2-3 sec faster per 100yds in just two weeks. Pretty happy with that!!

As soon as it warms up a touch I'm going out for a ride. Then I'm off to Indy to celebrate a niece and a nephew's birthday. Hoping to squeeze in a run there tomorrow morning. Have a great weekend everyone!!

Nice job on the swim. Congrats on the increase in speed. Just think what you'll be doing in a couple months!

Enjoy the ride and the run! You are a machine!
2016-04-22 3:05 PM

User image

Expert
With the trip to my neices wedding, I missed yesterdays workout - a run but I went a little extra to make up for it today. The legs and feet feel better after the miyofacial release massage I had on Tuesday. The guy went to town on my calves and I have the bruises to prove it. But with all the wight I'm carrying - I need all the help I can get to prevent contracting a case of plantar fasciitis

Went to my favorite wings place for lunch with the fam today and had a salad and only 3 wings. It's the least I have ever eaten there.

Tomorrow I've got to figure out how to get in an early morning bike ride before the wedding. It's a rest week for me but I still need to do two hours.

Have a great weekend everyone!

PS - Don't forget to leave an inspire for your fellow BDASers.

(FullSizeRender.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
FullSizeRender.jpg (407KB - 2 downloads)
2016-04-24 8:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, California
Hey all - Its been a couple weeks since I've been around. I wish I could say its OK I've been keeping up training and just not posting, but in fact my training has been as non existent as my participation here. Sorry about that all, and rest assured I've mixed in my fair share of bad beer penalties during this period!!

In brief, I have some personal stuff going on. Nothing bad at all, hopefully very good actually, and hopefully can reveal something soon. But regardless, it is still very stressful and I think its taken more of a toll on me than originally realized. Leading up to my first tri of the year on April 17 I had my least amount of training since Jan 1. And no it wasn't a taper. This was just a training day on the way to the first big race of my season an Oly on May 28th. Anyway I had got very lazy and I justified it in my mind saying i'd be fresh for the race, but in reality I was sluggish from the start and had an awful race. I will probably write up a report just for the hell of it, but in summary I knew about 20 strokes into the swim I wasn't up for it that day. Giving myself realistic and well thought out goals I wanted to do the Tri in 20 minutes quicker than last year in my first (same course, easy comparison), and I did it in 7. Seven!! Hell, my swim was 2m30s slower than the Aquathlon same distance I did 2 months ago. This was not an example of unrealistic expectations, I definitely under performed, and it wasn't even really fun. I was mad at myself for the race, and for missing training the weeks prior, and decided I wasn't gonna force it and just take a week off to mentally regroup. I've done nothing this past week but eat, drink, and nothing triathlon related (I somehow weighed in the same as the last couple weeks!).

Anyway, just needed to vent, so thanks for "listening." I will ease back into training this week, last month before the Olympic tri. Then I shift my focus to the half ironman in August, unless the pending news means I'm not doing that race....!

Alan - Sorry to hear about the injury, hang in there. I hope you get well soon.

Thanks everyone that is sharing the book tips.

Edited by Tavo2311 2016-04-24 8:51 AM
2016-04-24 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Way to hit the road! Looks like you are coming back strong Kevin...helps that baby girl is a little older and you are a little wiser! Best to you and the family.
2016-04-24 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

With the trip to my neices wedding, I missed yesterdays workout - a run but I went a little extra to make up for it today. The legs and feet feel better after the miyofacial release massage I had on Tuesday. The guy went to town on my calves and I have the bruises to prove it. But with all the wight I'm carrying - I need all the help I can get to prevent contracting a case of plantar fasciitis

Went to my favorite wings place for lunch with the fam today and had a salad and only 3 wings. It's the least I have ever eaten there.

Tomorrow I've got to figure out how to get in an early morning bike ride before the wedding. It's a rest week for me but I still need to do two hours.

Holy Cow! That looks painful! Hope you had a good ride.

2016-04-24 11:48 AM
in reply to: Syndiethea

User image

Expert
Happy Sunday everyone! It's a little quiet in here - hope it means that everyone is having a good weekend!
Yesterday morning, I have the mother of all flats while out on a bike ride. When I change my tune wouldn't hold any air an you're right and I ended up having to be picked up by right side like her to my wife. When I got home, I examined the "new" tube and discovered to my horror that it had seven tiny holes in multiple places on the tire. Does anyone think this isUser error? I know how to change a tire and I've never seen anything like this. When I put on a new tube - everything worked A OK. Thoughts?

I'm on my way home from my neices wedding and am hoping to get in a run tonight. I've been trying to eat well but being on the road and being around family led to some unhealthy eating. Back at it this week.

2016-04-24 4:27 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

now that looks painful. Ouch.
2016-04-24 4:30 PM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Matt.

Put your best foot forward from here on out. Get out and get training. If you miss a day, that happens to everyone. Focus on your goals. One workout at a time.

Kevin
2016-04-24 4:32 PM
in reply to: Syndiethea

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Syndiethea

Way to hit the road! Looks like you are coming back strong Kevin...helps that baby girl is a little older and you are a little wiser! Best to you and the family.

Thanks Cynthia. The future looks bright.

It's good to see you back on the board. You got any races going for 2016?
2016-04-24 4:52 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Just put in a 16 mile long run. After last week's 25k trail run, my legs are cooked. My quads started cramping at mile 15.5 today. Thankful home was just down the hill and around the corner.

Next week I've got a 12k race (Bloomsday) on Sunday. I'm going to use this as a recovery and not run long next week and let my legs rest. I'm in a bit of a conundrum as I'm not yet built up to run a marathon. Marathon is the last weekend in May. I've got 2 more weeks to build mileage with a 17 and 19 mile runs planned for may. I've always built to 22 miles in the past. I'm a little skeptical that I can run 26.2 miles on a 19 mile long run. I could not do it altogether. Do it, and plan to walk/be in pain for more miles than I'd like, or I could downsize, and sign up to do the half instead. Wishing I had an extra month to train properly.

2016-04-24 10:09 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Awesomesauce!!! Way to go!
2016-04-24 10:20 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by adempsey10

Who has two thumbs but can only point to himself with one because he has a fractured clavicle? This guy!

50m from the line in perfect position for a top placing in the sprint and a guy behind me chopped my wheel. New bike is totally destroyed and clavicle is fractured. 

Bike racing, amirite?

Holy s*%t and 2 is 8. I saw the picture later in the thread - I'm just happy you came away with "only" a broken clavicle. Man, I am so sorry about that. I could cry for your bike too, that is just painful. I would cry hot, bitter tears if it was my bike and then go throw pillows. (okay, I'm not helping here am I). You will heal, and think of all the one leg drills you can do...
I had an MRI on my shoulder a couple of years ago (torn labrum on the back side of my shoulder socket). Well after the initial x-ray, the doc asked me when I broke my clavicle. ??? I didn't know I had? He said I have a class 3 separation of my clavicle - it kind of sticks up as it gets toward my shoulder. Um, okay. It was either from sliding into 3rd base headfirst back in high school or when I fell down our basement stairs onto the concrete floor when I was two (I'm going with the latter).
Point being, you will heal and function just fine. I know you had amazing plans for this summer and I don't even know what to say to make you feel any better except I will owe you a Heady Topper too when we ride in Mont Tremblant - you WILL be able to do it.
2016-04-24 10:32 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
Hi all! Just a quick note - I'm off to sleep! I have been keeping up with the posts!

Got back from Florida last evening - no workouts other than traipsing around Universal Studios for 3 days. I got a sinus infection down there and everything aches (praying it's not the flu), head feels like it will pop. I chanced it and made it home without my eardrums rupturing (career ending for a pilot), thanks to Sudafed.
I have no voice but will attempt to teach class tomorrow - only 2 more weeks, yay!!! Then my schedule opens up for a month until the kids get out of school. I texted back and forth with my SIL about my training plan now that I'm so far behind and we came up with a bit of game plan to start getting me back on course. Without a doubt I won't be as prepared as I'd like to be but that's the way it goes sometimes. I have't had the best luck this year so far early on. No need to dwell on what could have been, only on what we can make of it. Hopefully I will be injury and illness free once I'm better.
I kept food in check and didn't gain (yay) - of course when you feel like dirt you don't want to eat much or drink at all.
My spirits are already back up just being on this site!!

Keep on keepin' on, people! I want to hear about sweat, miles run, swimming break throughs (thank you, Gretchen!), amazing bike rides, and healing bones! Chins up, dust off and take that next step! (can you tell I'm back in coaching mode....hahaha).
Cheers!
2016-04-24 10:38 PM

User image

, Vermont

Just put in a 16 mile long run. After last week's 25k trail run, my legs are cooked. My quads started cramping at mile 15.5 today. Thankful home was just down the hill and around the corner.

Next week I've got a 12k race (Bloomsday) on Sunday. I'm going to use this as a recovery and not run long next week and let my legs rest. I'm in a bit of a conundrum as I'm not yet built up to run a marathon. Marathon is the last weekend in May. I've got 2 more weeks to build mileage with a 17 and 19 mile runs planned for may. I've always built to 22 miles in the past. I'm a little skeptical that I can run 26.2 miles on a 19 mile long run. I could not do it altogether. Do it, and plan to walk/be in pain for more miles than I'd like, or I could downsize, and sign up to do the half instead. Wishing I had an extra month to train properly.

Holy smokes, good job! You can totally do it. Someone once told me a body can tolerate significantly more than what you train it for (something like 4 times). You will be able to finish - but how do you want to finish. If you do the HM, are you going to be satisfied? Is there another Mary you can sign up for in another month and do a HM for this one? Or you could not overthink it and just go do it!
2016-04-25 6:04 AM

User image

Expert
Happy Monday - Let's list the goals for the week.

DQ - 2 pounds lost, track food - every fricking calorie, 200 minutes of PT and step up my training with idea of moving toward IM finish in 20 weeks

2016-04-25 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Morning BDASers!

A couple of house keeping items:

One – next week, we will have our monthly brag session. The topic will be: who did the best job of leaving inspires this month. Make sure to leave an inspire each day to get some love from your fellow BDASers. As race season approaches - the best way to keep moving towards your own goals is to be as active as you can on BT and leaving an inspire is a great way of passing on a little inspiration.

• Two –the Hopkinton season opener triathlon is just three weeks away. My hope is that all the locals will be able to sign-up and meet prior to the race. After kicking some butt, I hope we can head to Jack's Abby brewery for a get together. Then I plan on riding from my house to sterling which is about a 40 mile ride and I would love to have some company. I'm slow so don't worry about keeping up. The workout is all about getting in some hills so I can make it to the top of the mountain by June 1.

Three - I've got a job interview tomorrow for a fifth grade homeroom teachers position. If you're the praying kind please put a good word for me. If you're not please just keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks and have a great week!
    2016-04-25 7:56 AM

User image

Expert

Dude– you seem to forget that you're a machine who is capable of doing anything you set your mind to. I think your plan of doing a 17 and a 22 is a good one (there're plenty of plans on the Internet that have you just do 18 to 20 anyway so 22 is a good number to shoot for). To make up for the lack of training and to lower your expectations, why don't you walk a bit of your marathon? I know this isn't your style but doing so will get you to the finish line and will let you drink a delicious IPA thats well-earned.

You got this!
    2016-04-25 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
    Originally posted by aviatrix802

Hi all! Just a quick note - I'm off to sleep! I have been keeping up with the posts!

Got back from Florida last evening - no workouts other than traipsing around Universal Studios for 3 days. I got a sinus infection down there and everything aches (praying it's not the flu), head feels like it will pop. I chanced it and made it home without my eardrums rupturing (career ending for a pilot), thanks to Sudafed.
    I have no voice but will attempt to teach class tomorrow - only 2 more weeks, yay!!! Then my schedule opens up for a month until the kids get out of school. I texted back and forth with my SIL about my training plan now that I'm so far behind and we came up with a bit of game plan to start getting me back on course. Without a doubt I won't be as prepared as I'd like to be but that's the way it goes sometimes. I have't had the best luck this year so far early on. No need to dwell on what could have been, only on what we can make of it. Hopefully I will be injury and illness free once I'm better.
    I kept food in check and didn't gain (yay) - of course when you feel like dirt you don't want to eat much or drink at all.
    My spirits are already back up just being on this site!!

Keep on keepin' on, people! I want to hear about sweat, miles run, swimming break throughs (thank you, Gretchen!), amazing bike rides, and healing bones! Chins up, dust off and take that next step! (can you tell I'm back in coaching mode....hahaha).
    Cheers!

Feel better soon coach!
    2016-04-25 8:06 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Dave Q--GOOD LUCK ON YOUR INTERVIEW TOMORROW!!!!!!!

Training free weekend for me, probably the first one in nearly a year, if not more. We went to visit my wife's twin sister and her family this weekend. They have four children (8, 6, 5, 3--I think). I may not have gone for my planned run, but I did do curls with the 6 year old on Saturday and overhead dead weight crunches with the 3yo on Sunday, including lifting her over my while lying on my back and then bringing her down and doing a situp with her. Pretty sure that move isn't in any normally scheduled workout, but my upper abs are killing me today! We did the airplane move for over an hour too. I also fixed two very, very poorly maintained bikes while I was there. The 8yo (boy) is in total awe that "a girl can fix bikes".

Back at it this morning with masters class (#154). The coach moved me up two lanes to be with the other triathletes. He said it was so we could all do sighting drills, but we are all in agreement that he wants to keep us in one place so we aren't bad influences on the rest of the team. :P Overall good swim.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
    Views: 6374 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 17519 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 12, 2014
    author : TeamMPI
    comments : 1
    The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
    author : IndoIronYanti
    comments : 4
    MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
    date : September 15, 2011
    comments : 0
    Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
    author : mrakes1
    comments : 0
    Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.