BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-04-29 4:18 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Originally posted by firebert

Ok need an opinion from the ladies out here - for my wife's mother's day gift I have it narrowed to an aero road helmet (something like my Giro, not like a darth vader helmet), or a proper pair of bike shorts for comfort in the saddle over all the training hours. Which would you rather receive as a gift?

Okay, right now I'm needing an aero bottle for my tri bike (between the aero bars). Does she have one of those yet? It made a HUGE difference in my hydration on my road bike - she will want that on a HIM. So much better to have it "in your face" constantly reminding you to take a sip.
Coeur tri shorts are apparently the cat's pajamas for tri shorts for women - the chamois goes down the leg a bit so no seams...no chaffing. (those are also on my wishlist).
I will say for bike shorts I do love my Castelli shorts. Pricey but very comfy - not for tris though or aero position; too much "stuffing."

2016-04-29 4:20 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by adempsey10

I went to see the sports med yesterday to check on the progress of my collarbone. He was very impressed by the position it's healing in and he doesn't think I'll have any reduced movement misalignments so that's good. It is healing a little slower than I would like though. The doc thought it should have started 'gelling' by now but I'm still getting some clicking and movement. 

I've been going to the gym and doing an hour everyday on the recumbent bike and using the leg machines that don't require me to put any strain on my upper body so hopefully that will limit fitness loss. I also have been riding the trainer with one hand but because of the brace I wear it constricts my breathing a little and I find it hard to ride more than 30minutes with just the one hand. Hopefully in another week or so I'll be able to ride two handed on the trainer. 

That's it for me for now.

You are amazing. I hope you heal quickly.
2016-04-29 4:23 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Big training day here. Started with masters swim (2200m). Then finally got my aerobars on properly (thanks Dave!) and took my bike out for a ride, 3:15 scheduled. I managed 2:05 outside before I was convinced it was going to start pouring at any second, came home and popped my bike on the trainer to finish out the ride. Let me tell you, finishing a ride on the trainer sucks after you've been having fun on the road. Rounded out the day with a 15 min brick run. I've discovered the local small airport has a nice 1.3mi loop around it with bike lanes. It is mostly flat and the road is one way, so no surprises. I love it! I did ten laps around it today on my new aerobars learning how to use them.

On to cleaning out the gutters. Hope everyone has great things on tap for the weekend!

Awesome job, Gretchen!!! You will be well prepared for your race!!
2016-04-29 4:24 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hi everyone.  Sorry I've been MIA for the past couple of weeks - first vacation then post-vacation work hell. 

Still dealing with the balky knee - though I'm seeing some slow improvement so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing (short bike rides, some swimming, strength training, and THE FOAM ROLLER ).  I'm not signed up for any races anyway (though I was about to pull the trigger on a fall HIM).

More later as I get caught up.  Happy Friday!!!

Glad to hear you're able to still plug away, Mike! Knees are tricky! Mine was a mess all last year!
2016-04-29 4:35 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
Okay! First day back today!
I did pick up my Augmentin at the store but haven't started taking it yet. I really hate taking antibiotics - you never know what kind of havoc they can wreck on your GI tract, etc.

I did manage a short swim today - 10 x 100 just to test out the sinuses. I can actually breathe fairly well, but my right sinuses are like a rock, constant pressure. I think maybe I will take the meds.
This afternoon I tried an easy 3.2 miles with my usual 1 min walk breaks at 1 mile. I definitely felt winded and sluggish, but that was to be expected. I should have run slower perhaps (sub 10 min miles with walk breaks). It was such a sunshiny day though, it felt good to be outside. I took dog for a walk after.

My plan is in need of some serious revamping now that I'm so far behind. My runs will be a slow build back up but after I finish a shorter run I'll make up the time (my plan is based on time, not mileage) with continuing to walk or find a hike to do just to keep moving and with hiking my cardio will be jacked a bit more. Eventually I'll get back to where I need to be. Swimming will be fine, I'm less worried there (just slow). Biking will have to be my focus. I remember Alan mentioning making biking the focus and the fitness translates over to running too. I'll ratchet that up a bit faster than the run but being mindful of the "no more than 10% increase per week ."
2016-04-29 4:41 PM

User image

, Vermont
Oh! One more thing. i coached my kids' school's Mini Milers program last night and had them do a circuit training thing...ala the 80's thing when many places created jogging paths where you run along and come to a place to do specific exercises, then run to the next station, etc. Very 1980's. (am I dating myself?).
Anyway, this was my plan for the kids. We used a soccer field and each corner had a station.

station 1: Do 2 times:
10 pushups
20 sit ups
10 burpees

station 2: Do 2 times:
lunge walk to line (I will find a boundary marker to use)
walking butt kicks back
grapevine down and back

station 3: 50 jumping jacks
20 mountain climbers
plank as long as you can

station 4; 20 squats
50 lateral jumps (back and forth over a "line")
20 sumo squats

My friend wants to use this for her boot camp she leads. hahaha. It kicked my butt!

2016-04-29 6:30 PM
in reply to: #5179508

User image

DeLand, Florida
So many good recommendations. Thanks!!

Jenn was thinking about the aero bottle too but she's planning on using the camelbak.

Will look into both sets of shorts. I was thinking about super duper bike shorts for all the training rides and then she's on her own for the actual race. But those Couer shorts sound really intriguing.
2016-04-29 6:34 PM
in reply to: #5179568

User image

DeLand, Florida
Gretchen, Dave, Jenn, all of ya - keep up the good work on the workouts!!

I'll be getting in a brick tomorrow with Dave after an errand and a bike shop visit. Nothing exciting just tubes and maybe a new tire. Though I'd prefer to come home with a Speed Concept. Lol.
2016-04-30 2:28 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

New user
Madrid

Originally posted by Qua17

Got on the scale yesterday! Down 2.2 pounds since last week. Pretty stoked considering the fact that I didn't eat great at the wedding.

A hige thank you and shout out to Juan. Thanks to the weightloss, I ripped another two notes off "paper chain" and one of them was from JUan. Thanks Juan - you are the man! I appreciate the encouragement!

DQ
2016-04-30 3:56 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Alan, I am impressed at your will and intensity of training while healing, just like a pro/BDAS!

Juan
2016-04-30 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well started the morning by going for a run with my wife. Just a nice pace.  Followed up with a run with my 8 yr old daughter(.75mile) fun.

Finished with a 2 mile run with my 13 year old son...A great start to the weekend!

Wanted to go for bike ride but unfortunately our bikes are still in transit from Lake Havasu as the inlaws are driving our truck home.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2016-04-30 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Got on the scale yesterday! Down 2.2 pounds since last week. Pretty stoked considering the fact that I didn't eat great at the wedding.

A hige thank you and shout out to Juan. Thanks to the weightloss, I ripped another two notes off "paper chain" and one of them was from JUan. Thanks Juan - you are the man! I appreciate the encouragement!

DQ

That's awesome Dave. Keep on keep in on!
2016-04-30 12:13 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Okay! First day back today!
I did pick up my Augmentin at the store but haven't started taking it yet. I really hate taking antibiotics - you never know what kind of havoc they can wreck on your GI tract, etc.

I did manage a short swim today - 10 x 100 just to test out the sinuses. I can actually breathe fairly well, but my right sinuses are like a rock, constant pressure. I think maybe I will take the meds.
This afternoon I tried an easy 3.2 miles with my usual 1 min walk breaks at 1 mile. I definitely felt winded and sluggish, but that was to be expected. I should have run slower perhaps (sub 10 min miles with walk breaks). It was such a sunshiny day though, it felt good to be outside. I took dog for a walk after.

My plan is in need of some serious revamping now that I'm so far behind. My runs will be a slow build back up but after I finish a shorter run I'll make up the time (my plan is based on time, not mileage) with continuing to walk or find a hike to do just to keep moving and with hiking my cardio will be jacked a bit more. Eventually I'll get back to where I need to be. Swimming will be fine, I'm less worried there (just slow). Biking will have to be my focus. I remember Alan mentioning making biking the focus and the fitness translates over to running too. I'll ratchet that up a bit faster than the run but being mindful of the "no more than 10% increase per week ."

That's a solid plan. Just hoping your sinuses get under check soon so you feel better.
2016-04-30 4:40 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by firebert

Ok need an opinion from the ladies out here - for my wife's mother's day gift I have it narrowed to an aero road helmet (something like my Giro, not like a darth vader helmet), or a proper pair of bike shorts for comfort in the saddle over all the training hours. Which would you rather receive as a gift?

Yes,

Oh wait one or the other???? Hmmphf. In that case which one would she NOT buy for herself? Get her something she really wants but doesn't quite feel worthy of receiving. I personally would buy myself proper bike shorts and a fancier helmet is more a a want...buy her the want.
2016-04-30 4:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
HOLY SORE MUSCLES!!!!

I take a body conditioning and contouring class 2X a week at the college I work at...yes, I felt pretty ridiculous my first day with students a lot younger than my youngest daughter! I also take hot yoga on one of those day at the local yoga studio, I SWEAR these two instructors talk to each other and conspire to kill me! After 300 lunges, with weights on each leg, planks of every kind I get to yoga and we do countless repeats of warrior poses, (lunges with a cool name) and planks of every kind. I was sore for days! Best thing ever is to see the younins stop and collapse before I do....even better, when we run hills and they walk and I run...yeah grandma can kill it...well sometimes she can.

Edited by Syndiethea 2016-04-30 4:57 PM
2016-04-30 5:04 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Originally posted by kevinbe

Just put in a 16 mile long run. After last week's 25k trail run, my legs are cooked. My quads started cramping at mile 15.5 today. Thankful home was just down the hill and around the corner.

Next week I've got a 12k race (Bloomsday) on Sunday. I'm going to use this as a recovery and not run long next week and let my legs rest. I'm in a bit of a conundrum as I'm not yet built up to run a marathon. Marathon is the last weekend in May. I've got 2 more weeks to build mileage with a 17 and 19 mile runs planned for may. I've always built to 22 miles in the past. I'm a little skeptical that I can run 26.2 miles on a 19 mile long run. I could not do it altogether. Do it, and plan to walk/be in pain for more miles than I'd like, or I could downsize, and sign up to do the half instead. Wishing I had an extra month to train properly.

Dude– you seem to forget that you're a machine who is capable of doing anything you set your mind to. I think your plan of doing a 17 and a 22 is a good one (there're plenty of plans on the Internet that have you just do 18 to 20 anyway so 22 is a good number to shoot for). To make up for the lack of training and to lower your expectations, why don't you walk a bit of your marathon? I know this isn't your style but doing so will get you to the finish line and will let you drink a delicious IPA thats well-earned.

You got this!

DAAAVVVEeee, really this is Kevin you are talking to; does he even know what walk means? Good advise to stay injury free though and ruining a good start to a GREAT season! Kill IT Kevin!

2016-04-30 5:16 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by thor67

Well been somewhat MIA on the board as well as training in comparison to last year...

Just got back from a holiday to Lake Havasu, AZ.

Drove down April 12 in our truck with stops in Butte, MT, Salt Lake, ST. George arriving in LH April 15-24. We flew back on the 24. In laws driving truck home as we speak. Unfortunately they won't be arriving until Monday April 28 with our road bikes.

If you ever plan on going to Lake Havasu, it is NOT a great place for road biking. While I did  get out, it was night and day compared to Phoenix.

Squeezed in on lake swim(Freakin' boats/jetskis all over the lake)

If you ever have a chance go to Zion National Park. Awesome hikes including Angels Landing(you tube it). Perhaps one day I will do the St. George tri and spend a week here.

We also went to Grand Canyon, which was amazing but waaay too many people for my liking.

Ahh the beer...drank and ate too much. pretty sure I gained about 10lbs. Gotta love picking up the variety 6 packs of beer. Suffice to say I tried to a ton of beers.

Back to the training drawing board. Apparently I should get some mileage in for swimming.. :-)

AWWWW, You skimmed my state, I am in No NV. I have always wanted to go to Rainbow Bridge! Not sure I will make it there this year, I am doing the Tahoe Rim Trail in sections this year with some friends. We went to check out a short section last week, had to use the snowshoes but we lost the trail. Still fun and recovered with a flight of beers and fish and chips!
2016-04-30 5:20 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

How goes the battle for you? how is the training going?

Originally posted by Syndiethea Way to hit the road! Looks like you are coming back strong Kevin...helps that baby girl is a little older and you are a little wiser! Best to you and the family.

Still struggling with consistency in my training but I workout all the time and have been doing some runs at Lake Tahoe to prepare for the Reno Tahoe Odyssey, 178 miles, I will do 3 legs about 6 miles in length. Last year I got altitude or car sick and did not fair too well. Taking some conditioning courses that kick my butt during the week but I am getting strong. So basically, the same ol same ol.

So good to see familiar faces and missed all of you. How are you doing Thor?
2016-05-01 12:46 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

DeLand, Florida
Thanks Cynthia for the recommendation as well. With my wife anything above the minimum, with the exception of her bike, is a 'want'.

Went with the Couer Tri shorts. Her birthday is in July so I was thinking j could do helmet then.
2016-05-01 12:48 PM
in reply to: #5179766

User image

DeLand, Florida
Had a great double workout followed by a delicious beer with Dave yesterday (thanks again Dave!). We got to ride the bike course for the Season Opener, which is only two weeks away - yikes! And then got to do some great off road and trail running around his house. Absolutely gorgeous area.

The fresh local beer - Indian Summer IPA from Cold Harbor Brewing was awesome!
2016-05-01 6:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Bloomsday 12 KM road race today. I didn't kill it for old me, but new me is pretty happy with a unofficial 1:00:16 second finish. That's an 8:04/mi pace on a very hilly course. I've finished this race in 54, and 52 minutes in the past, but I'm baby steppin my way back there.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by kevinbe 2016-05-01 9:33 PM

2016-05-01 6:36 PM
in reply to: Syndiethea

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Syndiethea

HOLY SORE MUSCLES!!!!

I take a body conditioning and contouring class 2X a week at the college I work at...yes, I felt pretty ridiculous my first day with students a lot younger than my youngest daughter! I also take hot yoga on one of those day at the local yoga studio, I SWEAR these two instructors talk to each other and conspire to kill me! After 300 lunges, with weights on each leg, planks of every kind I get to yoga and we do countless repeats of warrior poses, (lunges with a cool name) and planks of every kind. I was sore for days! Best thing ever is to see the younins stop and collapse before I do....even better, when we run hills and they walk and I run...yeah grandma can kill it...well sometimes she can.

This is bad a$$. All of it. Way to keep on keepin on Cynthia!
2016-05-02 8:13 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

considering you have been fishin' more than running, that is a pretty good race!! Worthy of a couple of beers!

Originally posted by kevinbe Bloomsday 12 KM road race today. I didn't kill it for old me, but new me is pretty happy with a unofficial 1:00:16 second finish. That's an 8:04/mi pace on a very hilly course. I've finished this race in 54, and 52 minutes in the past, but I'm baby steppin my way back there. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

2016-05-02 8:16 AM
in reply to: Syndiethea

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

"struggling with consistency" seems to be a trend for a lot of us...Sounds like you have a great race coming up! Any tri's in the horizon?

Originally posted by Syndiethea

How goes the battle for you? how is the training going?

Originally posted by Syndiethea Way to hit the road! Looks like you are coming back strong Kevin...helps that baby girl is a little older and you are a little wiser! Best to you and the family.

Still struggling with consistency in my training but I workout all the time and have been doing some runs at Lake Tahoe to prepare for the Reno Tahoe Odyssey, 178 miles, I will do 3 legs about 6 miles in length. Last year I got altitude or car sick and did not fair too well. Taking some conditioning courses that kick my butt during the week but I am getting strong. So basically, the same ol same ol. So good to see familiar faces and missed all of you. How are you doing Thor?

2016-05-02 11:52 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by kevinbe Bloomsday 12 KM road race today. I didn't kill it for old me, but new me is pretty happy with a unofficial 1:00:16 second finish. That's an 8:04/mi pace on a very hilly course. I've finished this race in 54, and 52 minutes in the past, but I'm baby steppin my way back there. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Great job, those hills sound brutal!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6372 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17514 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.