BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-07-28 1:22 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Still catching up (email inbox says I missed over 400 posts!!), but I'm getting closer!

I love my DeSoto stuff (tri shorts and top, shorty T1 wetsuit components, skin cooler bike jersey). I have Sugoi tri shorts that I dig alright, no issues with them at all. then I got DeSoto ForzaTri shorts (on sale from desoto, they always seem to have the best prices on their own stuff when there's a sale) and I love them. The chamois is better, the fit is better and more compressive, etc. I don't think they make them any more, can't find them on their site - only the fancy pants Riviera shorts.

Only thing better than those has been a custom kit my wife ordered me for father's day made by Zoco who only does custom/large run type stuff. Those are amazing but pricey ($85)

http://www.swimbikesell.com/collections/tri-fe/products/the-trifect...

I've heard amazing things about the Desoto 400 mile bike shorts/bibs but haven't been able to plunk the money down on them yet.

Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Originally posted by Qua17 More advice needed: Another big problem I have is that when I ride I'm so uncomfortable. The bike shorts that used to fit me (and that I spent a minor fortune on) no longer do and as a result I have saddle sores on top of saddle sores. Not to spoil your breakfast, but it was so bad on my last ride that I actually bled on my last long ride. I was thinking of trying a new bigger type of shorts. I currently use Assos Daily worker bibs and REI Shorts. Charles (who has been visiting me - he says hello!) suggested De Soto bibs. I guess I should spill the beans and let you know that my training for my IM is going so poorly that I've been thinking of down grading to a 70.3, so I've got to do something radically different to keep my head in the game. Without a job - price is an issue (for the shorts/bibs) but I stand to lose almost 500 bucks in race fees if I don't do IMNC. SO, does anyone had a suggestion of a bib/shorts that would do me right?

I have heard great things about De Soto kit in general, but have never tried them myself. I've been happily wearing Sugoi shorts for years, but they are tri shorts not bike - I find the heavier padding of a proper bike short to be too much. Then again I'm not in them for 50-100 miles like you.

2016-07-28 1:38 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Alternately, tri*fe (women's specific Tri gear) has a "men's" cut Tri short that sizes up to 4xl. I've not worn them, but have heard good things from others. These aren't as cheap, run about $80-90.

These are the ones I have and I love them. Haven't been in them longer than 15 miles yet, because, well, they're tri shorts and I'm a sprint guy
2016-07-28 1:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

DeLand, Florida
I'M ALL CAUGHT UP!!!!! Leave it to me to catch up on 400+ posts on my busiest work week in months...

Two thoughts:
1. you all kick a$s. All of you.

2. I owe you a race report from my sprint tri Sunday, 3rd ever tri, and redux of my first ever tri last summer. I was close to 50 minutes slower, and I'll let you hazard a guess as to why (not you Dave, I know you saw the post on fb).

Edited by firebert 2016-07-29 7:42 AM
2016-07-28 3:30 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Qua17

Question of the day - What's your favorite motivational quote or mantra?

What I have in my signature: "A body in motion tends to stay in motion."

When training for my local triathlon for the first time (a few years ago) I would run the long hill at least once a week. For the day of the race someone had chalked "I think I can" on the sidewalk a few times up the hill. Each time I saw it I would think "I KNOW I can" due to my prior runs up the hill. Even without seeing the message I still think it sometimes when going up a big hill.

2016-07-28 3:53 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

After reading some of your mantras, I think I might need some new ones. 

Mine typically consist of angry-drill-sergeant-style verbal assaults like, "Keep pedalling, you piece of " and "Don't you f$cking dare quit now, you pathetic a$$hole."

2016-07-28 5:35 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert

Still catching up (email inbox says I missed over 400 posts!!), but I'm getting closer!

I love my DeSoto stuff (tri shorts and top, shorty T1 wetsuit components, skin cooler bike jersey). I have Sugoi tri shorts that I dig alright, no issues with them at all. then I got DeSoto ForzaTri shorts (on sale from desoto, they always seem to have the best prices on their own stuff when there's a sale) and I love them. The chamois is better, the fit is better and more compressive, etc. I don't think they make them any more, can't find them on their site - only the fancy pants Riviera shorts.

Only thing better than those has been a custom kit my wife ordered me for father's day made by Zoco who only does custom/large run type stuff. Those are amazing but pricey ($85)

http://www.swimbikesell.com/collections/tri-fe/products/the-trifect...

I've heard amazing things about the Desoto 400 mile bike shorts/bibs but haven't been able to plunk the money down on them yet.

Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Originally posted by Qua17 More advice needed: Another big problem I have is that when I ride I'm so uncomfortable. The bike shorts that used to fit me (and that I spent a minor fortune on) no longer do and as a result I have saddle sores on top of saddle sores. Not to spoil your breakfast, but it was so bad on my last ride that I actually bled on my last long ride. I was thinking of trying a new bigger type of shorts. I currently use Assos Daily worker bibs and REI Shorts. Charles (who has been visiting me - he says hello!) suggested De Soto bibs. I guess I should spill the beans and let you know that my training for my IM is going so poorly that I've been thinking of down grading to a 70.3, so I've got to do something radically different to keep my head in the game. Without a job - price is an issue (for the shorts/bibs) but I stand to lose almost 500 bucks in race fees if I don't do IMNC. SO, does anyone had a suggestion of a bib/shorts that would do me right?

I have heard great things about De Soto kit in general, but have never tried them myself. I've been happily wearing Sugoi shorts for years, but they are tri shorts not bike - I find the heavier padding of a proper bike short to be too much. Then again I'm not in them for 50-100 miles like you.

THanks for the advice John! COnsidering how long my a$$ will be in the saddle this summer I plunked down the money on the Desoto 400 mile bibs. They were $138. Unfortunately - the extra large that I ordered needs to be wider - OUCH!

2016-07-28 5:43 PM

User image

Expert
I got 40 hard miles in today. It turns out I can average 85 pedal strokes per minute for an hour until the wheels fall off. During the second hour, I averaged 73 and 70 during the 3rd hour. It wasn't pretty.

Do you think this is because:

a. I'm learning how to keep my stroke per minute around 85
b. I'm out of shape
c. I'm fat
d. I'm practicing my new faster stroke speed on longer rides (40+)

I'm trying not to be too hard on myself. These rides are just tough. Carrying around 232 isn't easy.

On a good note - after the massage yesterday - I managed to run a mile without too much pain. YEA!

On a bad note - there is no beer in the fridge.
2016-07-28 6:44 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by aviatrix802Question on the FTP test - will you get different results between a tri bike and road bike due to different muscle groups? Or is it negligible?
Probably, but it really depends on how well you've trained in those different positions. If you've only trained in aero, then probably the road bike position would be tougher to generate the same power. I would say that all things equal, you're going to generate a little less power in aero but that will more than be compensated by the aero drag gain.I'm sure Alan will have some inputs here since he does them both pretty well. :-)
2016-07-28 6:46 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by adempsey10

After reading some of your mantras, I think I might need some new ones. 

Mine typically consist of angry-drill-sergeant-style verbal assaults like, "Keep pedalling, you piece of " and "Don't you f$cking dare quit now, you pathetic a$$hole."

That's about where I am. LOL
2016-07-29 7:02 AM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Up early for a super easy 15' ride and a 20' Z1 run this morning. I had to wait for the sun to come up. Depressing!! Days are already getting shorter.

Packed all my gear yesterday. I forgot to take a picture while it was all laid out, but it took five bags to pack all my fear and traveling stuff (I compartmentalize, so not all bags are full). Posted that in Facebook and people are indeed surprised at how much gear it takes to do one of these races!
2016-07-29 7:13 AM
in reply to: #5193143

User image

, Vermont
So exciting, Gretchen!! Be safe in your travels and have a great, great time!!! You are well trained!!

2016-07-29 7:22 AM

User image

, Vermont
So I did the FTP test...and I think I completely screwed it up. I couldn't get my hrm to connect; couldn't even see how to do it on the devices pages. Power meter connected fine. I had zeroed my pm yesterday, thought I had today for trainer road and also realized 8 minutes into the workout I never started my watch...the power in the watch was very different than what I saw on the iPad as I was pedaling. So I don't really know what to make of it. I guess I'll understand it better once I get on the computer, which is vastly better than the iPad.
Maybe I'll do it again in a couple of weeks, I don't know, or wait until after the race.

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-07-29 10:06 AM
2016-07-29 8:00 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I'm a data nut and I have nothing else to do right now...

HIM Training (since March 14)
Swim 126,938yds (72.124mi)
Bike 1214.29mi
Run 218.32mi

Total 1504.734miles

(70.3/1504.734)*100=4.67%

1.) after looking at these data, it is clear why I'm still a slow runner. Need to beef up the run volume.

2.) the race is so small compared to the training that goes into it.

Edited by drfoodlove 2016-07-29 8:01 AM
2016-07-29 9:53 AM

User image

Expert

I'm a data nut and I have nothing else to do right now...

HIM Training (since March 14)
Swim 126,938yds (72.124mi)
Bike 1214.29mi
Run 218.32mi

Total 1504.734miles

(70.3/1504.734)*100=4.67%

1.) after looking at these data, it is clear why I'm still a slow runner. Need to beef up the run volume.

2.) the race is so small compared to the training that goes into it.

Doing the race is like the icing on the cake. All you're training had baked quite the cake for you to frost. Enjoy every moment!
2016-07-29 10:05 AM

User image

, Vermont
Okay, I have skipped my swim to learn a few things...Garmin heart rate straps are NOT bluetooth...according to a guy at Trainer Road. He said even straps that are bluetooth will often only connect to one device - so if it's connected to my 920xt, it may not connect with TR....unless you have an ANT+ stick to help with that. So...this leaves me with...either getting a new bluetooth HRM strap (TR guy recommended Wahoo TICKR), or getting an ANT stick and being forced to use my computer when I train using TR. - today I was set up in the dining room using my ipad...which I don't think you can connect an ANT stick too - please tell me if I'm wrong because I don't know.
The Wahoo TICKR is about $50 (one on Ebay up for bid starting at $39) and an ANT stick is about the same. I should think bluetooth would be better than the stick because I don't necessarily want to be forced to use my computer...the iPad is much easier to tote around. Any advice??
2016-07-29 10:15 AM

User image

, Vermont
Dave, I just sent you a reply - hopefully it went through. I have a gazillion questions. hahaha

2016-07-29 2:26 PM

User image

Expert

I got 40 hard miles in today. It turns out I can average 85 pedal strokes per minute for an hour until the wheels fall off. During the second hour, I averaged 73 and 70 during the 3rd hour. It wasn't pretty.

Do you think this is because:

a. I'm learning how to keep my stroke per minute around 85
b. I'm out of shape
c. I'm fat
d. I'm practicing my new faster stroke speed on longer rides (40+)

I'm trying not to be too hard on myself. These rides are just tough. Carrying around 232 isn't easy.

On a good note - after the massage yesterday - I managed to run a mile without too much pain. YEA!

On a bad note - there is no beer in the fridge.

Seriously - I need some help in how to approach this. I need to average 15 mph for the IM and the way I'm going to do it is to improve my pace. So, how do you think I should approach that improvement? SHould I do intervals? Should I do loops were I focus on going 85 spm for an extended period of time.

Thoughts and suggestions - please and thanks!
2016-07-29 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Okay, I have skipped my swim to learn a few things...Garmin heart rate straps are NOT bluetooth...according to a guy at Trainer Road. He said even straps that are bluetooth will often only connect to one device - so if it's connected to my 920xt, it may not connect with TR....unless you have an ANT+ stick to help with that. So...this leaves me with...either getting a new bluetooth HRM strap (TR guy recommended Wahoo TICKR), or getting an ANT stick and being forced to use my computer when I train using TR. - today I was set up in the dining room using my ipad...which I don't think you can connect an ANT stick too - please tell me if I'm wrong because I don't know. The Wahoo TICKR is about $50 (one on Ebay up for bid starting at $39) and an ANT stick is about the same. I should think bluetooth would be better than the stick because I don't necessarily want to be forced to use my computer...the iPad is much easier to tote around. Any advice??

OK...so many TR questions! 

I THINK you can get an ANT+ radio dongle for the iPad, don't 100% quote me on that but I read somewhere you could.  Maybe the dcrainmaker site would provide some detail on that.  I've always used ANT+ for everything so I don't have much experience with Bluetooth.

As for the power differences you saw in your TR vs. watch, that's interesting.  Could the TR interface be using virtual power?  That would certainly show some discrepancy.  The watch can only read what your PM is broadcasting, though you can have your TR software broadcast the virtual power back out to the watch if you don't have a real PM (like me).

I always use my laptop for TR as they don't have an Android version (yet..it's coming this fall, I think).  Android tablet have built-in ANT+ radios so I'm good there.

Keep bugging Nate and the guys at TR - they've always been great at getting back to me with questions or problems I've had.  Good luck and keep us posted!

2016-07-29 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove I'm a data nut and I have nothing else to do right now... HIM Training (since March 14) Swim 126,938yds (72.124mi) Bike 1214.29mi Run 218.32mi Total 1504.734miles (70.3/1504.734)*100=4.67% 1.) after looking at these data, it is clear why I'm still a slow runner. Need to beef up the run volume. 2.) the race is so small compared to the training that goes into it.

Those are great numbers - enjoy your race!!!  Like Dave said, it's the icing and the reward for all of the hard work you've put in.

2016-07-29 3:53 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

, Vermont
As an not-so-knowledgable novice I would say both at the same time. Do intervals with an increased cadence. If the gearing proves too much, back off a gear to keep that cadence up or do shorter intervals initially.
I do everything, every ride at a higher cadence than I used to. I sacrificed speed initially but it's coming back and it's less taxing on my legs. I spin like a hamster on a wheel going up hills to save my legs and so far I go right by a couple of my friends up every hill. I am by no means a strong cyclist, but hope to continue to increase my cadence and strength. It doesn't come overnight and definitely takes patience. I am not there yet, not even close. But maybe someday..
Alan mentioned building the muscle memory to use a high cadence and when that comes it will feel natural and you'll be able to spin those higher gears.
2016-07-29 9:16 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Okay, I have skipped my swim to learn a few things...Garmin heart rate straps are NOT bluetooth...according to a guy at Trainer Road. He said even straps that are bluetooth will often only connect to one device - so if it's connected to my 920xt, it may not connect with TR....unless you have an ANT+ stick to help with that. So...this leaves me with...either getting a new bluetooth HRM strap (TR guy recommended Wahoo TICKR), or getting an ANT stick and being forced to use my computer when I train using TR. - today I was set up in the dining room using my ipad...which I don't think you can connect an ANT stick too - please tell me if I'm wrong because I don't know. The Wahoo TICKR is about $50 (one on Ebay up for bid starting at $39) and an ANT stick is about the same. I should think bluetooth would be better than the stick because I don't necessarily want to be forced to use my computer...the iPad is much easier to tote around. Any advice??

I believe Garmin owns (or invented?) the ANT+ protocol, so all of their devices use it. I'd be surprised if any of them use Bluetooth, as they have little incentive to support a competing method. 

A quick google search suggests that you can get an ANT+ dongle for the old 30 pin Apple devices, but not for the newer lightning connector. So if your tablet is newer, you would have to buy an ANT+ key and an Apple adapter. See this page: http://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/201618914-ANT-Connectivity

In my experience I wasn't able to connect the same Bluetooth sensors to two devices at the same time (I was trying to get my Wahoo RFLKT to connect to my iPad for TrainerRoad and my iPhone for music control - I can't recall why I wasn't running music from the iPad).

In the end I'm not sure what you should do. It's one of those things that ought to be easy, but somehow isn't. The convoluted setup I have to get all my data visible while I'm on the trainer, and stored in the same place whether I ride on the trainer or outside is just silly. But my gear is very mix-n-match due to cost. Someday I'd love to drop some cash and replace it all with one setup and be done with it.

2016-07-29 9:20 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Good luck with the race, Gretchen! Can't wait to read the race report.

2016-07-30 10:23 AM
in reply to: #5193244

User image

DeLand, Florida
MANTRA - never really had one until yesterday. Been a miserable week - work was dreadful and I've had zero energy for my workouts and everything has been slow and tired. Then yesterday I need to rush and get an interval run in short time. And it's HOT out. This totally worked for me and I kicked ass:

"I am bigger and badder than all y'all!"

(Where 'all y'all' is anyone or anything causing me adversity)
2016-07-30 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

As an not-so-knowledgable novice I would say both at the same time. Do intervals with an increased cadence. If the gearing proves too much, back off a gear to keep that cadence up or do shorter intervals initially.
I do everything, every ride at a higher cadence than I used to. I sacrificed speed initially but it's coming back and it's less taxing on my legs. I spin like a hamster on a wheel going up hills to save my legs and so far I go right by a couple of my friends up every hill. I am by no means a strong cyclist, but hope to continue to increase my cadence and strength. It doesn't come overnight and definitely takes patience. I am not there yet, not even close. But maybe someday..
Alan mentioned building the muscle memory to use a high cadence and when that comes it will feel natural and you'll be able to spin those higher gears.

Jenn - Thanks! Good advice! Today on my ride, I'm going to try 10 minute spins where I really have to push to stay at 85. Then I'll take a 10 minute break. I'm only going 35 so I should be good to go.

2016-07-30 11:09 AM

User image

Expert

Nice, easy master's swim this morning. I spent my time concentrating on swimming strong, as I plan to do in the race, but not fast (as I hope to do in the race). Only did 1350yds, but it was good. Feeling really rested and ready to go this morning. Ha! Now I only have to wait two more days for the race!! Packing this afternoon.

Two things -

First - you are going to crush that race.

Second - as you pack you stuff - consider doing this: lay it your equipment out on your dining room table and take a picture of it. Then, post it to facebook. I did that for my IM and people were blown awy by all the gear. It's also a cool pic to have for yourself to show just how much goes into doing a Half Iron Man!

What's the name of your race and is there any way to track you?

I am doing the Route 66 HIM in Springfield, IL. About 15 miles of the bike course is on Old Route 66!

Terminator - I'm thinking and praying for you today. Hope you are kicking butt and more importantly enjoying every moment!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6368 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17509 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.