BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-08-09 8:15 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Great photo, Juan! and I agree, I prefer wine tasting

2016-08-09 5:38 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

New user
Madrid
Great workout Nicole, I love when I finish a workout with the feeling of needing "more" - it does not happen too often though.... hahaha

Juan
2016-08-10 8:06 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Oy vey! I'm tired! Up for morning masters swim this morning and have been trying out different strokes. I did a 25 breast and nearly died in the middle of the pool. That really gassed me and I ended up doing a super slow crawl back to the side (50m pool). Worked some on my back stroke too, which is better. I'm almost as fast on back stroke as I am on crawl, but don't have much endurance. About 100m back is as far as I can go without being totally gassed.
2016-08-10 8:08 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Juancho

Ouch, Jenn! Hope you heal soon and ready for THE race.

Nicole, sounds like a fun weekend, beer tasting is almost as great as wine tasting

Attached is a pic after yesterdays ride, see the hydrating fluid between the two water bottles

Juan

I want a beer break on my next ride!! Of course, I haven't been on my bike since my HIM, so maybe I just need to do that first. County road commissioner dumped gravel on our nice, paved road and now it is treacherous to drive on, let alone bike on. I'm hoping the gravel will wash away soon so I can start riding again from the house. Otherwise I'll have to drive somewhere to hit the road, and I hate doing that.
2016-08-10 8:58 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Woke up and did a run this morning. Wanted some speed work, so I did a warmup jog and then did 2 minutes running fast (averaging about 6:45 pace or so) and one minute walking 4 times. Wanted to switch it up from the 3 mile jog, and I think it was a good workout. Gonna try to do that at least once a week, and maybe do more than 4 intervals next time (I was struggling at the end).

I think Friday I'm going to try to go to this workout with a group called the November Project. They run up this hill in our park that is a half mile long, then jog down, do some strength work and do it again for 30 minutes. Gonna try to get 4 hills in! Will swim tomorrow afternoon before my lessons.

I hope everyone is having a great week and has a wonderful hump day!
2016-08-10 11:28 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I finally emailed the RD from my HIM and now I'm more upset than I was before. This is the text of the email I sent.

Hi Steve,

I raced the Route 66 Half Iron Distance Triathlon on July 30, 2016. I first want to thank you and your staff and volunteers for putting on a good race. I can’t imagine it is an easy job or one filled with lots of gratitude, so I do want you all to know how much I appreciate your efforts. I especially appreciated the young woman and man at the aid station near the last turn around on the run. They were incredibly helpful and supportive to me near the end of a very long day. I was also one of the probably numerous people who reported the gravel on the road on the back side of the last loop of the bike course. I greatly appreciate that you changed the course, even though it must have added a lot of work to an already long day for you.

I want to bring one thing to your attention, something that very much adversely affected my race, and perhaps the races of many others. The race website clearly says bike aid stations will have water, sport water bottles, HEED, gels, bananas, and some would have Hammer Endurolytes. I attach a screenshot of the webpage highlighting the pertinent section. I took this to be true and planned my race nutrition strategy around the statement that there would be gels and bananas on the bike course. I was quite surprised to find out on race day (10 miles into the bike) that not only did the aid stations not have gels or bananas, but they had absolutely no calories at all. Only one station had HEED. It was at the 20 mile mark. I ended my bike leg about 1000 calories below where I should have been because there was nothing available on the course. As a triathlete yourself, I suspect you know how my run went after that. I blew-up completely on the run after the second mile or so. I trained very hard for this race for several months. I am no speed demon and will always be a completer, not a competer, but to have my race so negatively impacted due to incorrect information posted on the official race website is extremely disappointing. Had I known there would be nothing beyond water available on the bike course, I would have planned around that. It would have been a better run and a better overall experience.

Thank you for your time in reading this email. I waited ten days to write because I wanted to give you a chance to catch your breath after the big day and to be able to convey my concern clearly and without too much overlying emotion. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about my letter.

Respectfully,

Gretchen R. Dabbs

Bib #497

His response:
Thanks and thanks for feedback

Mistakes were made but won't be made again

But please take this advice from a veteran who has raced around the world

Don't rely on the course nutrition

Be prepared for all to go wrong
And be self sufficient

We will do better next time

Thnx for patience

I am completely p!ssed about this response. First, it is typed on his iPhone, and lacks all manner of professionalism in communication to a customer, but beyond that he doesn't offer an apology. He, in fact, assumes that I am an inexperienced triathlete (or at least less experienced than him) and implies I'm naive for relying on him to provide the things he said he would provide! I did two races put on by this RD this year and I don't think I will ever do one of his again. Too bad--they are some of the only Olys and longer available in my area.

2016-08-10 4:51 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I am completely p!ssed about this response.

Completely understand, Gretchen - your letter was extremely polite (too polite?) after the experience, but his answer is just not serious. Mistakes do happen, but apologies are free. I would have expected some kind of compromise from his side. Not a race to do again, for sure!

Juan
2016-08-10 5:22 PM
in reply to: #5194528

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Wow, Gretchen, that's a horrible response from the RD to a very polite and reasonable letter. I wouldn't blame you for taking a pass on any races they organize in the future. I guess some people just aren't interested in feedback or improvement?
2016-08-10 10:25 PM
in reply to: #5194730

User image

, Vermont
Bib #1008
Ack! Now it's really real!!
2016-08-11 8:17 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Wow Gretchen, I agree. You certainly have learned on your own to always be prepared, you didn't need advice from a condescending RD who assumes you are a newbie. You wanted some assurance that they would do better in the future and an apology for misleading you. You would assume for someone who is "veteran who has raced around the world," and decides to be an RD, they would know what to do to make sure the race is a positive experience for those who decide to compete, and would not mislead everyone by listing LOTS of food options that would be available. Even if they had half of what they promised it would've probably been fine, but to have only one thing in their list is just absurd.

I'm upset for you, and it stinks that now you do not want to compete in their races when he could've easily written a more professional email and kept your business. It's good you said something though.
2016-08-11 8:20 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Bib #1008

Woohoo!! How exciting!

2016-08-11 10:41 AM

User image

New user
Madrid

Bib #1008

Exciting hours ahead for an extraordinary event, enjoy!!!
Look forward to hear all details.

Juan
2016-08-12 10:28 AM
in reply to: #5194752

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Jenn--is your race this weekend?!? I've lost track. Good luck if so!!!!!! You're gonna rock it!
2016-08-12 10:29 AM
in reply to: #5194918

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Very short, intense swim this morning. Only 1400m, but every interval had less than 10" rest. Off this weekend to visit family, then back on a training schedule on Monday for upcoming Oly.
2016-08-12 11:13 AM
in reply to: #5194919

User image

, Vermont
Gretchen, no, it's next Sunday the 21st!
I am already packing though and getting T1/2 and Special needs 1/2 bags ready now, making sure nutrition is lined up, bike was at the shop yesterday for final checks and a new rear tire. I have to pick my sis in law's bike up today at LBS, she flies in tomorrow night late. We leave on Monday so we'll be there until the following Monday. She wants to ride the course and probably run it too.
I got an OWS in this morning with people from Master's Swim - I played chase basically, which was great, no stopping except once to let water in my suit. I was heating up big time. I need to get a 45 minute run in here shortly. Right when I got back from swimming the sky opened up so I ate breakfast. It's stopped now so I should get out there, more storms on deck for this afternoon. Super, super humid. Blech.
It's all coming together. Still working to take care of the cyst thing - trying everything in the book. We'll see how it goes! Fingers are crossed - just want to cross that finish line! So far weather looks to be 77 and cloudy. Hopefully no rain (or humidity) but the forecast has been changing constantly. Hahaha. Nothing we can do about the weather anyway, right?!
Cheers!
2016-08-12 6:19 PM

User image

, Vermont
Quick question for Alan and Dave Q - what did you do with your bikes while in the hotel? Last week when i was there I saw signs saying "please do not bring sporting equipment into your room." I locked mine in my car but now I'll have 2 bikes (sis in law's too) and can't do that. I know I could easily bring it up the back stairs but I also don't really want to break rules and disrespect the hoteliers.

2016-08-12 7:21 PM
in reply to: #5194925

User image

, Vermont
Never mind! Found a human, it's all good!
2016-08-14 6:53 AM
in reply to: #5194986

User image

, Vermont
Eek! One week out!
2016-08-14 8:26 PM

User image

, Vermont
Hi all! A quick check in, seems quiet here lately.

OWS Friday with some folks from Masters - I played chase all day.
Saturday: 2 hour trainer ride (pouring rain) followed by a 30 run in the rain and fog.
My sis in law got in town last night.

Today we ran for just over an hour in crazy humidity and this evening we went for a short swim..
As luck would have it the little band that you tuck your wrist band into on a watch (my 920) snapped during the swim. !!!! Seriously...less than a week before the race???? Have I not been handed enough to deal with? Well, it's Sunday night so Garmin customer service is not open so I ordered a package with 2 new straps and it has the pins and screwdrivers from Amazon. Fortunately I have Prime so it will be here Tuesday.....though I leave tomorrow. Hubby will bring it Friday when he and the boys come up. For now....duck tape. I couldn't get the red band ordered for 2 day shipping....so neon green it is... Bwahahahaha. Ah well. It's all good.

We head out tomorrow after I take the boys to their annual wellness checkups and get them settled in with Gramma...hubby leaves in the morning on business for two days. Hoping everything works out.

Hey Alan and DQ...apparently we're supposed to wear something reflective for the run??? It's a rule? I start late at 07:00 and the sun sets before 20:30 so I'll be running in the dark. I do have a little light that clips on my visor for my special needs run bag...is that good enough?
2016-08-15 7:51 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Eek! One week out!

One week (now six days) to contemplate how awesome you are, how hard you have trained, and how great you are going to do!!!!!!!
2016-08-15 7:55 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Up and at 'em bright and early this morning with master's swim. Managed 2200m before my feet and calves cramped too badly to keep going. A long weekend of too much sitting and not enough water. I think I'm just a little dehydrated. Today is my first day back with a training plan too, although I haven't quite decided what that training plan is yet! I have until this afternoon to decide, because I think it is likely I'll do a double today. I have an Oly in just under four weeks.

Goals for week of 8/14/16:
1.) pick training plan
2.) track food intake carefully at least 4 days (a baby step toward better accountability)
3.) strength training 2x

2016-08-15 10:57 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Eek! One week out!

One week (now six days) to contemplate how awesome you are, how hard you have trained, and how great you are going to do!!!!!!!

I'm with Gretchen, you are going to crush it!
2016-08-15 11:01 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I second Jenn, it has been very quiet here lately!

Had a wash of a weekend. Drove to Long Island (took about 6 hours) Saturday for my brother's 40th birthday party. I was going to run in the morning but had a killer blister on my heel/Achilles and could barely walk with something touching it. Was a bit hungover yesterday and again in the car for about 6 hours (I must really love my brother).

Went for a short 2 mile run this morning. Felt pretty crappy. I decided I'm not drinking for the rest of the month except for 2 special events I already planned on attending. I'm really going to focus on training and feeling good.

As much as I love the Olympics, I'm kind of excited for them to be over so I get some sleep again. Every night I can't stop watching. It's bad. They're just so incredible to watch, all of them.

I hope everyone had a great weekend and their training is going well!
2016-08-15 3:56 PM

User image

Expert

Eek! One week out!

X2!
2016-08-15 4:01 PM

User image

Expert

Hey Alan and DQ...apparently we're supposed to wear something reflective for the run??? It's a rule? I start late at 07:00 and the sun sets before 20:30 so I'll be running in the dark. I do have a little light that clips on my visor for my special needs run bag...is that good enough?

Alan and I will have different answers on this I am sure because I'm pretty sure he finished when the sun was still setting and I finished in the dead of night.

Once the sun goes down - the running path is really (REALLY) poorly lit - 200-300 yards between lights if not more. My suggestion if you think you will be out past sunset is to buy/bring a head lap. It was the best decision I made for the run. If I hadn't had the lamp - the run would have reminded me of a scooby doo episode (ZOINKS!). However - if you're like Alan -then have no worries - just have something reflective on just in case.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6368 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17501 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.